Help me Identify or get close to this poinciana type tree

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I wonder if some of the Botanical Gardens might not like them...or, even better...one of those wild game parks where the animals roam in the open. The MPs would look great!!! Also...they are the perfect "Kids Climbing Tree" so maybe schools in the areas where the weather is better.

Too bad!! Carol

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I'll check in with our local Botanical garden and see if they could raise them in greenhouse. Thank Carol, that's a wonderful idea.
Kim

N/A, Belize

Could it be an Indian Laburnam? I can't remember all the other names for this one.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I must admit I was surprised how fast it grew. It went from seed to feet tall in a year, and it's well near the top of the roof now. I think the winter definately is a growth deterrant for it. Monkey pod seems like a good candidate as they seem to produce alot of seeds, and we use to pick tons of these seeds off the beach.

I love the gambusias, thanks again. Hopefully there will be enough of them for me to donate to my friends pond, who has been wanting some.

Looks like we got thru this weekend okay, it sure was, yucky (and that wasn't the verb I was wanting to use).
I can't believe it didn't freeze. The wind was fierce and cold. The power went out at the apex of that, and fortuneatly it was fixed within a couple of hours. Old man here has a heating pad on the cold night..Love it..helps me sleep so good. Can't wait till the low is 77 with 90 percent humidity again!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Our lows are about 60 with 99percent humidity!!! A fire in the woodstove as we speak!!!!

Roots from the MonkeyPod are known to lift asphalt highways!!!! and cement pads!! I tell you, killer tree!

Say Randy...do you have Rangoon Creeper...or Ecbolium?...looking for them.

Aloha,
Carol

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

well - these are all good candidates, but still just don't know...the trunk really isn't looking like a monkey pod..and mine is about 3 years old, not nearly that much growth.
Yes- I have rangoon creeper.. have even grown them from seeds. Wayne has some double rangoon creepers, although I'm not really that impressed with them.
I have to look up Ecbolium

http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/rjuddharrison/3308/

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I couldn't find anything on Ecbolium
is there another name

Red Oak, TX

Rj, could your plant be a Cassia Grandis (bukut)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I don't think it's in the Cassia family, The cassia leaves are far larger than the poinciana type leaves. I do have a few different Cassia's, they just don't seem similar on many levels.
This has helped me out alot better than searching for hours by myself...I sure appreciate the help!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The Rangoon Creeper are awesome, although isn't the same plant as Rj's. :-)
Kim

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Not a plant expert, but until it blooms, then you'd be able to id it easier. Back in Singapore, we have the Golden Shower tree and Yellow Flame tree with similar leaves' characteristics. Then if the blooms be red, it will be the Flame tree.
I remember a tall..tall..very tall..Flame tree whose long pods, once dried and seeds evicted were used by us kids as "boats" to float in the canals.
Anyway RJ, away from your topic..I'm here primarily to thank you for being such an inspiration to Texasgal77. :)

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Hiya Kim!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I remember those long pods too! very long woody pods.

That's sweet and nice to say - thanks, We all end up inspiring one another in many ways.

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Ditto everything Carol says about monkey pods, messy to boot. If it isn't the "fluff" from the flowers it's the seed pods, everyone of which germinates! We had to have ours cut back by half the width - it was going into the neighbors and hitting the house. Nothing seems to grow well under it, we have lost nearly all our cypress that gave us such good screening from the road. One day it will be pau...

Thumbnail by Braveheartsmom
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Say..what do the seeds look like on that?
The seed I had was varigated brown seed - looked very much like a pinto bean.

The seeds are brown and as you say rather like pinto beans - not sure if they are variagated, but will check in the morning there are bound to be some somewhere! Never really checked the seeds themselves out, I am always too busy sweeping the pods up because if the cars runs over them they cement themselves to the driveway and are a beast to get up.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL!
Thanks...I'm curious curious curious now.....take picture if you can..

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Hiya Randy! Wish I had paid more attention when I was there, don't remember seeing this...but then it was an eventful day. I have several poinciana/caesalpinia's from various places, and the seeds look differently than what you have described. And the seed pods on all of these look more like snow pea pods than the long lumpy ones in the above picture. Not fuzzy either. We do have an omnipresent weed here that resembles the poinciana foliage...most get nailed before they grow very big, but I noticed one on the rock wall a while back that was well over 8 ft tall. It had small brownish balls of tiny flowers on it...about the size of golf balls. Not terribly attractive plant or flowers. Funny thing though, even though the weed is literally everywhere, I can't remember ever seeing the seed! Isn't that odd? Hope you can identify your tree soon...I'm really curious now.

Yokwe,
Shari

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Randy....can you find a photo of your seed pod?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I know...alas...when I tried to sprout the seeds, I was in gardening 101, and not only did I use all of the seeds, but wasted some as well in negligence. It was a bonus that I thought to take pictures of the seedling. I had so many that they were in my way. They were adorning a bug collection that we had brought back from Africa..and after so many years I had to disemble it as the conditions of the bugs were too poor..so as much as I've searched..no seed pictures..I do hope to find one in the bottom of some forgotton box, but till then, it's pinto bean descriptions..it has stripes or varigation like a pinto bean, about the size of the pinto bean but wider on each end and more squared or lima bean shaped than the pointed round ends of the pinto.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Our trees aren't putting out seeds yet...but I will check downtown when I am there... :>)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

hmm..I think I will google seeds and see if I can find anything

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

After a few hours, some blood shot eyes, and following a web site called Botanical beads. They have pictures of "sea beans" and drift seeds that are commonly found on beaches through out the world..it's very interesting. Lots of jewelry is made out of the seeds,beans,pods..
Anyway- I believe it is a Tamarind tree commonly found in Tropical Africa
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54388/
Family: Caesalpiniaceae
Genus: Tamarindus (tam-uh-RIN-dus) (Info)
Species: indica (IN-dih-kuh) (Info

Tops Tropicals-- but they don't show the actual seed/bean...
http://toptropicals.com/cgi-bin/garden_catalog/cat.cgi?uid=TAMARINDUS_INDICA

So technically
imadigger and placenciarita
were on the right track as Caesalpiniaceae is in the Cassia Family.

Here is the web site for drift seeds
http://www.botanicalbeads.com/BBB_TOC.html..

Also
http://www.seabean.com/index.htm

interesting!
thanks for the help!!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Tamarind? Hmmmm, I grew up with this tree and I didn't recognize it? Hmmmm, the leaves of tamerind is much smaller than what you've got there, Rj. Tamarind's leave are edible. And it taste like lemon flavor. :-)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Did you follow the link?
I'm sure it's a variation of a Tamarind, the growth habit and the leaf size are pretty close.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I sure did, the fruits roughly the size of our thumbs. So in relation to the leaves, you can compare, it's no bigger than a 2-carat diamond. :-)
Can you give us the demension of your tree's leaflets? I'm currius too, and eager to find out what's it.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL, a 2 cut diamond..I have no idea of diamond sizes.
I took a picture for you...The leaves have gotten alot bigger.

In any case, I'm convinced it is some variation of a Tamarind. The tree grew the same way as shown in the plant files, the branches are paralel to each other..no other tree I've grown does that. also the new emerging foliage is exactly the same as the PF.
I looked a thousand photos and seeds to match...and these 2 matched up pretty good.

I am pretty surprised on how big the leaves have grown. They sure don't look small in the PF photos comparatively speaking to all of the poinciana types.

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Horizontal...Remember there are a thousand Cassia's and am sure there are more than one kind of Tamarind.

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Sounds good to me, different variety of Tammarind. Do keep us posted with its progress. I love it. The leaves are much bigger than the Tammarind that's available from the market. :-)

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Here are some pics of the wild tamarind we have on island...1:

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

2:

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

#3: Any help?

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

That helps a whole bunch. It's strange. I remebered the tree as big as an oak tree when I was a child. I climbed on the thing and picked the fruits. Wow, Shari, thanks for sharing the pictures.
Kim

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

WONDERful drink from Mexico made from the pulp of the seedpod...Tamarindo. Coincidently, we just planted a Tamarind today...the first one we planted went to Tamarind Heaven....

Gosh we just cut down two tamarinds in the garden that were in the way of where the new septic system is going to be, we used to open the pod and suck off the the flesh round the seeds, tasted rather like eating a date.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Yup Carol...Tamarind nectar is one of JB's favorites! Huh, Jenny - we never tried that. I may have a new garden experience soon!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

The tamarind pulp is used a lot in East Indian cooking...I love the drink!!! The paste is easy to keep.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Sooo many new things to try next year. Guess I have never had tamarind. Another plus of knowing my tropical friends.

Merry, Merry Christmas.

LouC

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yeah, I was pretty surprised when I got the camera out there on how big the individual leaves had gotten. Wish there was someone from Africa to talk to, on African varities.
Still...the thing that it has going for it the most as a tamrind contestant is the growth habit - young tree with paralell branches..I mean..that it odd in itself, and I've only seen this tree do that. The poincianas are 360 degree spiral - branches like most trees seem to do. For refresher go to the top of the thread and look at the tree when it was about 6 months old, all branches are on the left of the right and they only paralell each other, there are none in the front or back. The tamarind PF also features the young tree looking just the same.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Randy - go to Member's List and see if there is anyone in the African countries that you have spoken to before, or that are from an area where it might grow...there are members from South Africa, Kenya, Nigeria...probably more....couldn't hurt.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.