SPRING OF 2008 PLANTSWAP FOR WEST MICH ????

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

GM All
So sorry its been quit some time I Have not given up on this Believe Me It is still a go . I have been Under the weather since xmas & still stuffyness
its almost like a hay fever no fun anyway :(
I also take care of my father he's 94 but will be 95 the 25th of jan so trying to set up a party for him with his friends & family :)
so I hope everyone will keep checking back :)

I can hardly wait to meet many of you & share my gardens with you. anyone here into Roses ?? I would love to Mix a few into my gardens this next year. anyone wanting DL"S Please visit my trade list & mark them so I can bring to the sway with me .

Going to start working on my flier this month

I hope that everyone here will let others Know of the swap it will be much fun .
jazz realy hope that you can make it down :)

DON"T FORGET TO LET THEM KNOW IT IS A POT LUCK SWAP :))) FRIENDS , FOOD, & PLANTS

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi Susie
I will keep checking back, if you post then it shows up on my homepage and
i can see it clearly that a discussion is active.

I am so into roses, you can't believe. Although I belong to the roses discussion,
I am "wasting" my time and energy trying to grow roses here in the midwest.
I am devastated by Japanese Beetles every year.

I would like to find some solution to this problem. I am not adverse to using
a strong noxious chemical, as my rose garden is far from table water level
and away from chickens, and veg gardens. I have a buffer zone of weeds
and Thuja plicata before you get to the tractor road and then my fields of
crops. If I could find a product called "Death to Japanese Beetles", I am
sure I would buy it.

I am starting online classes Jan. 28th, and will be extremly busy till May 17th.
that is when my finals are. so, I will be happily recuperating from the stress of
classes and very much looking forward to some time with gardening people.
Please, I am requesting cuttings of roses specifically. I don't grow DL.
If anyone wants to make some cuttings of boxwoods, root divisions of
iris, or peony, seeds of poppy, azalea cuttings, please feel free to make
me some viable rooted cuttings in perlite if you want. I can bring some
stuff with me, that will be started.
Regards to all
sheri

2 yrs ago the beatles were also very bad here so I took Ivory dish soap/mixed with vinigar & warm water in my sprayer & sprayed my roses & hollyhocks & the bugs were gone in no time. last yr just had a few & also sprayed them it worked .

I will be Looking for any volunteers that might be able to help me in these areas for the swap in June .
If you think you might be able to join us & would like to help Please By all means Let me know .

Help with REGISTRATION Or Sign's :
Help with FOOD TABLES
Help with GIFT TABLE
Help with Plant Tables --- susie/deejay9

well time to go put on super have a great evening .
susie

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

If I don't work and I am able to come I will help.

oh cottage that will be great thank you & I do hope you can make it I Know how hard it is to plan 3-4 months ahead
& the Biggest scare I have is that it might be a rainy day & No one will make it .

I don't even want to think about that so trully trying to be very possitive about this .
I do have a portable 10x20 carport tent that I plan to be taken & the privillian is also very big
so we will have lots of shade or shelter .

well i need to get busy here love chatting with you all please stop in any time :))

susie

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

well deejay9 so far if nothing happens at work i probably will have that day off and probably will be able to come to the trade off. im looking forward to it. i am looking for different shade plants and part shade plants... any one looking for the same thing??? i have almost all of the available. really kinda tired of the shade stuff but that all we have. its not that its not beautiful but kinda boring... no what i mean?? i would be more than happy to arrive early and help with what ever i can so see you there (hopefully). seems like there is alway someone out sick at work. can not wait until June sounds so nice. Ronna

ronna
thank you & look forward in meeting everyone I wish I have more shade but all is in open sun I'm Hoping to plant a couple trees this spring
to help with alittle shade but as you know they take time to grow :))

I do have some columbines different colors , some named some not. also have a few huge Hosta's that need divided so will bring a few for you .
maybe you should cut a few trees .
I'd like some maple trees

well have to go to town soon
susie

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

thanks susie i would love some more colombines they are one of my absolute faves:) not to mention hostas. i have a bazillion of them. but can always find room for more. do you have any of the "susan" flowers i have a couple of different ones. i also purple cones they do really well in both sun and part shade. i have other things also but cant remember them all right now i have to look at my journal... to long for winter... Ronna

Ronna do have any Lily Of The Valley I Have loads of them & they also love sade to part sun ? Be Happy to share with any one .
I Just want to Also like to add That Any New Gardeners are welcome to please Join us ,

EVEN IF YOU HAVE NO PLANTS TO SHARE

Bring a dish to pass & If you like in on the Gift Drawing Just Bring a Gift to share Garden related please .

If You Might Have a talent Of Painting Clay Pots , Or painting stepping stones or Old Bricks
with Plant names on them That is a Craft many of us would be happy to trade for . Please Keep that in mind.

Also if anyone has any used Planters that you won;t be using & like to share with others Please do so I know
someone can or will put them to Good uses Just as you ones did .

REMEBER This is a GARDEN SWAP

ALSO DON"T Forget to go to my trade page & If you find A Plant you like ask & I shale bring it .
My Spacecoast By Kennibrew Farms are Not Up For trade .

well have to get busy here nice chatting . back again soon .
susie

Hi
Just wanted to drop in & share with you the Great buy I got today at wal-mart they had Hyachins, tulips,Narcciss & other Bags of BULBS For
.75 cents a bag Now I have to go out to the shed tomorrow & get my planter so I can plant & enjoy this spring :))
Had to watch & look close for some of them had been frozen it look like & were a little muchy so i put them into a empty box sitting there :))

I got some really nice healthy ones , if I was to put them in the frig for maybe a week could I then take them out & plant for them to bloom about easter or after ?? can anyone offer info on this ??? I only have about 50 of them :)))

our stores are putting out seeds & Bulb right now this twlls me spring won't be to far away :))) .oh also bought my grow light today also at wal-mart
Not Bad price $10.97 .

If anyone has other bargen sites with good deals going on for plants or seeds or suplies love to hear about them.

susie

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Susie,
I am not sure there is one requirement for all bulbs. But definitely a cooling off period of I think 6-8 weeks!! I will see where i can find or if i can find info and will let you know!
julie

thank you I also have been looking but not came up with anything as of yet . thank you.

GM all
tried to post yesterday but long story short my laptop battery was low :(
went up to Mt Pleasant saturday for the spring time weather gave us spring fever & just took off
got home about 2am went right to bed & then woke when our power went out at 7:30 am & we had wet heavy snow all over the ground :(

How Quickly our weather can change .power came back on about 9am .
Now I think winter is finely here :)

I put the bulbs In Dirt in my planters & put them out on the back porch where there is no heat.
So in march I will bring a couple baskets in the house to see if they will Bloom early for easter :)
will let you know if it works .

anyone planting any flower seeds with grow lights??? I could use some advice with that also.
usually just winter sow out side , but wanted to try a few seeds in the house with grow lights
do i need heat mat also??

well Hope you all have a great week Please be safe on the roads.

susie

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Susie you don't need heat mats but they do help
I have a seed tray sitting in a small gh over a heater vent that is barely cracked open
and its very warm in there-have tons of dayliliy babies growing right now

I did finally just order me a heat mat , got the biggest size at the best price
it should arrive today or tomorrow then i will get planting(need seed starter mix)

middle of ext month i hope to stat some tomatoes
then by late march i will be ready to move them to the GH!

thanks for the info another question then Do they need the Grow light when you 1st start them or after they have germanated ??
can they be in a dark pace with heat ??? then put under the light ?? or do they need heat & light at same time ??

susie

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

most seeds need both but there are some that will germinate in the dark!
just regular florescent lights is enough!

ok thanks so much for the info I really would like to hear from any of you as to what you are growing & when you plant them .
I don't want to start seeds to early or way to late , I have many type of tomato seeds to try this year & want to get them in as early as i can for a good
crop :)) .

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

yummy i can taste the fresg tomatoes now!!!! nothing better. ive never started anything inside my son used to start his hot peppers inside they always did really good. im wanting to start seeds this year though and am enjoying all the questions ive asked a few also. and got really good feed back i think its a go here for the winter hobby. now what do i want to start? ill have to ponder this question... Ronna

well i hope well can all give Help to each other just have to keep in mind what works for some may not work for others but we have to try :)) .
collecting container now.

martha : Our ACE Hardware has loads of seed starter Mix Plus getting in many type of seeds .

well lots to do today & we have snow falling Happy gardening to all .

Also I Just want to say also Thank you all for your D-mails Looking forward to meeting you at the swap I have a feeling it is going to be a great one
by all the mail I recieve & please if you have not heard back from me yet please know I'm reading them & trying to answer as fast as I can read :))

I'm working on maps that I can send with info I have much to learn yet as for computer how to :))
its self taught So have to do lots of searches :)

thank you all for being so kind

susie

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello Sussie,
i grow lots of stuff under florescent lights each year. You do need to look at each package of seeds. Some seeds need total darkness to germinate and also not too much bottom heat. Others like bottom heat and light. You do not need a grow light only florescent for leaf out and some growth.
I am set up to grow about 50 flats. i was going to do less this year but now i am wondering if I should grow some perennials for the swap!! I think i may!
I do not have all the answers but lots of times you can get them here or at the extension center
by putting the info you are looking for into your search bar and usually some extension center will appear with the needed information. If I can be helpful I would be happy to answer anything I know.
If you have any heat mat or heat box or top of furnace or top of fridge...any heat source will do for germination. But some do require warm soil before they will send out growth!! You know the ones!!
It's the same ones that only grow well when the soil warms!!
Well I hope all is well with you hope to meet you in June!!
I enclosed a picture of some cutings I am over wintering upstairs. The top shelf has some Brugs
I got from this site. I am trying to hold them here until I start my basement operation up!!

Thumbnail by jazzzy704
Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Susie.........When I start my seeds, I uually count back to when I will be able to put the seedlings into the ground....In other words, if some seeds take 20 days to come up with the first 4 leaves, and you can not put them safely into the ground till say May 30th, then you know that you will start those seeds sometime around the 1st of May....This method works for me......

After true leaves appear above the seedling leaves, which are the first two leaves, the plants are ready for wider spacing....and you should always water from bottom....

deann

thanks for all the info :)) I know it is way to early to start all the seeds I want to go this year so I'm really trying to be patient.
I have lots of lights just don't have lots of space :( I have 1 heat mat that I have had for a while .

many of the seeds I have do not have any info on them for they are from swaps so i have lots of searches to do. :))
Burgs just don't do well for me . if i can keep them out all summer they are fine but when i have to bring them in they choke or sould say croke.

no luck with any house plants :( well i need to go help dad so you all have a great day will check back in later today.

again thank you for sharing .

susie

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I have a Greenhouse so i start them a tad earlier here. I have daylilies growing now and the rest will be started by Feb. with plans of going to the GH in late March.

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Well I have some seeds..in a pot..lol...Your seeds Dori...nothing yet..how long does it take? weeks , months...lol..I have no clue..they are under lights..and warm..clost to the pot..Anything special..I am not doing?.....

Nice day today for sure..cold..but sunny...Waiting..for spring..enough of winter all ready...lol...

have a good one..everyone...smiles..Diana

I have a few seeds planted no much tried 6-8 Dbl hollyhock seeds I have 2 sprouts
Not sure if they are the HH or a weed from the soil :) I had some potting soil from last fall
& put it in a qt pot soaked it put the HH seeds in it slid the pot into a ziplock baggie
zipped it up put under the light & about 3 days I had 2 sprouts .

did the same with Granny Plum Not sure if its a Pumpkin or a squash it just say ornamental & I have 4 sprouts out of 4 seeds i planted on sunday the 13th
had 4 sprouts on the 16th no joke .
3 days is fast wouldn't you say for pumpkin or squash ???

told my dad this morning & he says they won't make it till spring so i guess i have my work cut out to make sure they do:)) 4 days & here is the picture taken this morning.
planted them on sunday morning :))
guess i better wait & plant the rest of my seeds 2wks before last frost :))

kept the seeds in the frig & well i guess they thought it was summer once they hit the dirt :) .
well i have 2 apts today so I hope to hear other result from you on your growing seeds .

Jazz love your lighting
Martha is your GH Heated In the winter ?
wantabe : put your pots out in the snowbank for a few days then bring them back in to the heat :)))

Just recieved some liliumsseeds in the mail yesterday so going to put them in the cold for awhile then try planting them :) can hardly wait :))

have a great day to all love hearing from you .
susie

Thumbnail by deejay9
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Martha is your GH Heated In the winter ?
First off call me NM or NOT or dori -I hate martha

gh not heated or used in winter here
I add night heat when i take seedlings out there in late march!

i have a ton of hollyhock plants i will be tilling under this spring LOL
so if yours die-come get some or i can mail you some! ;)

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi Susie, Hi Dori,
You are way farther along growing than I am Susie. I have some cuttings going and some Brug cuttings but I have not done any seeds yet. I keep my house at 62 degrees. It's a poor environment for seeds!!
Oh Dori you have a green house! I believe I saw it in one of your garden pictures. NICE!!
It's a dream of mine. I went to H.D. in the fall and they had their $249.00 greenhouse( looks
like a tall hoop house) It is 8x8x6 It has 2 windows and a door. It was marked down to $62.50
SOOO I bought it. I hope it will give me some much need lead time for vegetables. I haven't grown any in many years. But this year I hope to do a few. Have any of you grown or grow potatoes,
carrots, broccolli, or cauliflower? Do we have enough warm days for these crops???
Any growing suggestions or info you could share about these crops?
Thanks. I'm off to shop and pay that water bill!!
See you all later.
Julie

jaz we plant potatoes every year here yes plenty of time . we just cut the seed potato in Half as long as there are eyes on them
plant them right in the ground about in april 4th 20th 23rd 27th, 28th or in may 1st ,2 nd 19-21st ,24th-25th or 28-29th best dates for root crops .
dad & I both go by the almanac & if the weather lets us :)) .

Not : Sorry but I think Martha is a great strong name :)) but thats ok :)) Not it is :))

well off to do some seed searches :)

susie

GM To All Sorry for Being MIA For a few days Just trying to get things ready for daddys big day :) Yesterday was His 95th Birthday But today
Is going to be the big get together :) much to do yet . just wanted to let you all know I'm still about :)) .

wiggly : Hope your Online Classes are going well .

Gardenlady : will you be trying different types of tomato's or just plant one kind ? I have about 6 different ones that have been sent to me
to try & I hope to get them going maybe in March .

Cottage_Rose : I sure hope you can make it over to the swap

Dori : I saw a post somewhere that you had a sweet bush ?? that you had gotten from Dave ?? have you any rooted seedlings of it ???

Jazz : Has also Offer to help with the swap & I know this will be a great one :) So Many Great Gardeners Here
Offering to help it is trully very nice .
I also wish I could do cuttings but I have no luck .

ty you all . The Best way Is just telling your friends & families who are into Gardening print off copies of the event
maybe post them up or if you belong to other Garden sites you can maybe share the information .

well time for me to get off here & get things ready for the days .
Have a safe & fun weekend to all .

susie

Winston-Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

I hope i can make it. I will try. Sounds like a good time.
michelle

Thumbnail by flowrgirl1

Michelle
What is the name of that Jap Iris (its a Jap right) ?
Its GORGEOUS! Gotta get it!

Gm All
Michelle Will sure be looking forward to meeting you ,
Jazz & Gardenlady & sarvy Can hardly wait to meet you also I know this is going to be a great swap .

I also Hope to be bring some of my Japanese Irise's to the swap along with many bearded ones .
Here are a few Links to many of my IRISES< & DAYLILIES Please feel free to Brouse & Dmail me if you see some you would like to trade for
I will put your names on them :) some might not be ready to divide but will know more in may.

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a129/skohler1949/Unnamed%20%20Irises/

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a129/skohler1949/new%20irises%20from%20%20anne/

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a129/skohler1949/Daylily%20%20Info/

Spring will be here soon :) Happy Days

SUSIE/Deejay9

I actually took the photo at ensata gardens. Im not sure which it is. Have you seen Ensatas catalog or been to there gardens. Really beautiful place. Here is a picture of there place.

Thumbnail by flowrgirl1

Susi will look when i have time.
Would love to get more Iris!
Do you have any Japs?

Michelle...I've heard of it but haven't been there yet.
Where is it located?
Do they have a website?

Rose Yes I have a few Japanese but right off hand can not tell you their names without going out to look at the tags :)) in the one garden I'm affraid of what I will find when the snow melts for our snow plow guy shoved all the snow on the beds I just hope my tags are not all over .
or broken .

ALso Just wanted to put this out there for any with Kids I Hope to have an extra tent set up for them to be able to paint / or to be painted / play games / play on the play ground / & will be tented to by reliable sitter for the 3-4 Hrs & there will be a DONATION Can to be split Between your Sitters .
The rest of the Swap is totaly Free & Your Children will have a great time
Also I Don't want to forget that WIGGLE-PAW Offered to give ride to the kids & We all know what fun that will be :)

I Just wanted to let you all know we are looking for a great turn out & don't want to Have anyone feel they cannot come & enjoy While looking or chasing After childern . RELAX We will Have it covered :)) It Will Be cheaper then Going to Chuckie CHEESE :) So Bring them with & enjoy .

well I have to get my day started Hope you all have a great one .
susie

Ensata Gardens is located in Galesburg, MI. They specialize in Jap irises but also have many hostas, sib iris and daylilies. The grounds of the house are beautfuly landscaped. They have a fabulous collection of evergreens. Mini waterfall, stream and lovely manicured lawns. They have a great full color catalog and there website is www.ensata.com with 500 color photos of the iris.

Enjoy.
Michelle

Another shot of there grounds

Thumbnail by flowrgirl1

Thanks FG!
I think I will have to visit them this year!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

OMG!! I used to live in Galesburg and have never heard of this place it is beautiful!!! Will have to look it up sometime..E Michigan huh? I know where that is... Can't believe I've never heard of it I will have to ask my mom they just moved from there again... Ronna

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i have ordered daylilies from then before and get a catalog every spring!

Isn't Galesburg down by Kalamazoo?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.