Underwater Gardens #5

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Can you believe we are on #5 already??? John's pics are much better suited to starting a new thread...but #4 is just tooo long for me now, and he is busy doing real life things, so I will try to fill in....so here are a couple of pink anemonefish swimming in their graceful home, with various corals in the background.....enjoy!

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

We can always, always depend on you to come thru.........Oh, dear....what took me a lifetime to discover IZ so long after his blessed heart stopped beating.......

West Bay, Cayman Islands(Zone 11)

Gosh Shari, I just love those! I really need to get over there and hang out and dive/snorkel with you kids....Katie is in the background clapping hands......get those billings done Kates!!! I am thinking the spring visit to the south pacific is going to work for us.....our tshirts will be well worn by then and have that comfy wore out blue jeans feel to them....perfect attire for hangin with loved ones....over a decaf heineken....i meant to post this the other day after the theft of yard implements....the cops said you can't get fingerprints off of wood.....so, here is a fingerprint tongue....much rarer than the flamingo tongues i have posted here before....

shari, thanks for that chat....i feel better about things as i hope you do....we know how to make this happen....you ROCK

j

Thumbnail by caribblue
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

One of a kind.........

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

night,night.....sweet dreams

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Yep...I feel much better. John, I just saw a pic in Fathom Mag of one of your Fingerprints....it was so close you could actually see the eye under the antenna, but there was no perspective...I like your's better. (That's one of the mags I have talked to about you, btw).

Here's a closer look at the Pinks just for you.

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

lurk,lurk,lurk

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Christi - you don't lurk Darlin....you are the cheerleader!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I would love to reach out and touch the anemone to see if it's as wispy/wiggly as it looks. Your beautiful pink fish really bring out the "light brite effect" of the anemone.

The fingerprint is really cool John. That's the first time I've ever seen anything like that. How big are they?

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

ps... I know I'm not supposed to touch. yanking hand back from the photo.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Yep anemones are the whispy, graceful, dancing, beauties of the u/w world. They move with the currents, our motion, fish motion....every little breeze of the u/w wind. Like the featherfans, some of my favorite undersea creatures.

edited to change the to they! (duh!)

This message was edited Sep 7, 2007 3:32 PM

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

That's just how I imagined them.

I like the feather dusters, er, featherfans too! They look like something that Indians might have used for weapons, yet looked soft also.

I love learning about all of the creatures that God has planted in the sea. Thank you all for sharing with me.

Janet

West Bay, Cayman Islands(Zone 11)

Shari, I have seen Fathom before, what a great publication! Incredible photographers in each issue. Thanks for the praise, glad you like my work...

The fingerprint tongue is about 1.5 inches long...about the same size and shape as a tootsie roll.....

will work on some new splits for consideration soon...can't get in the water quite yet but in 2 weeks i should have some strength back in the ol' trigger fingers..

really cant wait to get in, been quite a while and getting a little barn sour now...

j.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I know what you mean....not for the same reason though. When we go back to the mainland, like our upcoming Thanksgiving trip, its 5 or 6 weeks without submergence....we start getting a little twitchy...especially JB! Get back and immediately throw ourselves under the water. You definately have my sympathies!

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Loving your pics, Shari.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Thanks K ! We went out on Shaggy (the pontoon boat) yesterday...nobody had cameras, but we sure had a lot of fun. My GD and her friend (both 4 yrs old) are just learning the joy to be found watching the underwater world, and its so much fun to watch them get excited over the simplest things. They are a couple of "fish" themselves! Get up on the boat for a quick drink or snack and then back in the water! And "Grumpy" my DH had to give them rides on his back, zooming further away from the boat than we would normally let them go...good times. Here is an interesting shot....you'll have to blow it up to see it, but look closely into the bubble and you'll see the reflection of my DH!

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

They are lucky, lucky little girls......my baby swam in my bathtub this morning. lol At almost a year old anything excites her but to actually BE in the ocean and SEE it's beauty.....there are not enough words....

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Cool pic, Shari! Your story about the girls reminds me of ME in Bora Bora. We took the boat out twice a day to the reef and I was just like a kid (40, but still a kid!). The boat minder would give us bread to give to the (I think) angel fish and they would eat out of our hands. I can still remember those little nibblers and how funny I sounded laughing underwater! Took me two years to pay for that trip, and it was worth every penny!

You're bringing back such wonderful memories.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Bathtubs large and small - kids love being wet! And I think that swimming for the joy of it, not laps for exercise (yuck!!!) brings out the kid in all of us. One more reason that I hope John's hand gets strong enough soon for him to get back in the water. The waters around Bora Bora are very similar to our waters...warm and full of life. When we were on Moorea, the next island closer to Tahiti, we would jump in the water for our morning ablutions instead of taking a shower. I am sure your trip was worth it....it is a wonderful, wonderful place.!

I was so tired last night, after trying to keep up with those girls all day, that I slept like the dead...and today I've been working in the garden all day, so I'm tired again! I love it!! For an insomniac like me, this is a very good thing. Now I am listening to the rain make a mess of my pretty pots, oh well, it is very good for what is in the pots!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

We have sure slowed down on the underwater pics, haven't we. It is a testament to all the other things going on in this forum! Well, just to show that we still have an interest in u/w things, I am going to post this pic of a friend diving with mantas off an island called Yap, in the Federated States of Micronesia. Pohpei, the island I visited in May is also in the FSM, but unfortunately we didn't get over to Yap which is known for the number of mantas who make their home there.

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Beautiful, Shari. The lower right hand corner of the picture has what appears to be bubbles that are iridescent. From the perspective....the manta is much larger than the diver.

Keep it up, girl. We are hungry for underthesea....

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I'm not gonna post too many in any one day, there are just so many things going on....but here is one of my favorites: My dear JB ....I just love the colors in this picture....it is going to be up on the wall here at home very shortly.

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

That manta picture is awesome! Is it really that big or is that an affect of the camera? I agree that the bubbles in the corner are beatiful. I have often found myself looking at the pictures posted here and being fascinated by seemingly insignificant things that you would not notice at first glance. It is amazing how many different things you can find in them if one just takes the time to really look rather than just "skim" over the photo.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Awesome Shari! Love that last one especially! I can see why that would go on the wall.

So you're rationing them out huh? HAHAHAHAHAHA Thanks for the double dose 8*}

Janet

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I hear ya Tetley. I study them and see things down there all the time that are fascinating. Thanks for putting into words what I was thinking. :-)

J

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Shari, that is the absolute best....no hands down....can understand why it should be front and center on the wall. Hey, JB. You are better than any of the fish.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

No Ann - it really is that big. They are magnificent creatures! I use to catch hold and ride them when I was younger, but now they tell us that the oils from our hands can be harmful, so I don't do that anymore...even with gloves on. But the are so curious about us, and sometimes they will come right up to us as if we were part of their cleaning crew...then I do pet - but only with gloves. Glad you guys like the pic of my darlin! I'm having it blown up and framed for his birthday....its a surprise. By your reactions though, I'm sure he will like it.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

My DH has a birthday on Wednesday.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Oh how fun! Give Mike a big hug and happy birthday from me!!!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

So.....when is JB's birthday?

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Not until November...actually the 14th, sound familiar?

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Love the pics!!!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Hi everyone! Thought I'd drop by here and see if anyone was home. Here's a picture of a Spotted Eagle Ray for your viewing enjoyment. Wing span probably 8-10 feet.

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh my goodness, never even knew there was such a thing as a spotted ray. You've once again introduced us to another wonder of underthesea. Hey, Shari....where have you been?

I'm here. Reading about a fav band of mine. Had a eye doc visit so my eyes are sometimes a bit blurry. lol

Love the ray!! Always thought they were underappreciated by people.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Christi - I've been in and out....been spending a lot of time on a handicraft order this morning....but I've posted here and there. Where you been??

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Today is Mike's birthday. Went to his mother's today at Lake Tawakoni about 70 miles east. Took her to lunch to celebrate her being the mother of such a great guy. She is almost 90...still living alone. Tonight went to dinner with other very good friends. His birthday is 2 days from now and we have to say grace that both the guys have made it this far.......sure wish you and JB could have been here too.....we would all make a good group.
Someday soon......

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I remembered that you said today was Mike's birthday. Glad you had a great day! Good for Mom!! Say, tell Mike to look through the photos, or made a request, and I'll try to find one that he likes so he can blow it up or put on as a screen saver or what ever...They sometimes print prettty well, or I can have it blown up and send it....what ever he would like.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Great Ray photo Shari!!! What a magnificent creature!

I thought I'd better check in here to let you all know that we're OK. We had some pretty severe winds early this morning at about 3:30 am. I slept through the whole thing. Streets are flooded. Haven't been out there to assess the all the plants yet, but most of the cannas and other tall plants are laying over.

I don't know yet if Humberto is finished with us. 75,000 people here are without power this morning. I feel fortunate to have power. Humberto came in with 85 mph winds.

I will check in with you folks later on and post some photos. Please keep us all in your prayers.

Many hugs to everyone!

Janet

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.