What's blooming today? # 8

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

NOID daylily

Thumbnail by Dave47
Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

VERY nice!! What's the tree with the small bloom in your last shot? In the first shot, is that a peony across from the new garden (to the left) ? Looks like a really pretty spot!

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Louise, thank you so much for the compliment on my Oxalis. I love my Oxalis very much. I have a few different species (houseplants) but always look forward to the Wagon Wheel blooms.

The torenia is new to me this year too. This spring I took and bunch of seeds and just threw them in some big pots with leaves and soil on top (so the pots wouldn't be so heavy) and now things are starting to bloom and I have no idea what they are *lol*.

Few of my favorite shots from today.

Torenia at night:

Thumbnail by kimskreations
Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

My little Goldfish Plant showing off....I LOVE these little cuties :)

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

My Dwarf White Balloon Plant which has a purple cap and HUGE flowers :)

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Cute little bug with a fur coat on my daylily today. Never seen this little bug before but sure did enjoy watching it.
Celeste, that is a pod I made on Antique Rose :) My first time trying to cross :)

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

The "tree" I believe is perennial sunflower. (small yellow flowers?). Yes, that is a peony. It is on the right side of the first garden you saw, which is in front of the new horseshoe garden.

Thumbnail by Dave47
Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

This little guy hung out in the lipstick plant all day and enjoyed the cool, moist soil....seemed to be right at home. Scared me at first but once I knew he was there I was OK and enjoyed him :)

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Ed Murry

Thumbnail by Dave47
Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Wow, some color on that frog Kim! Maybe waiting next to the lipstick plant thinking he'll be a prince!

Dave - should we go through the Eddie Murray routine again??

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Stunning photos, Kim. You live in an exotic world!! I adore that goldfish plant. I've never seen one. And that frog........never seen one that color either!!

Dave - thanks for the explanation on the tree. Really pretty gardens!

Victor ....good one.

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Closeup of the little fur jacket guy once he decided he had enough of me watching him *lol*
Not sure what this bug is but I tried to touch it and boy can it jump!!! Cute little thing though. Hope it's a good bug *lol*

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Dave, your lily, is it 'Uchida' maybe?

Kim, congrats on the seed pod, isn't it fun crossing your own and waiting to see what ya get??

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Very nice Kim. I love that frog.
Victor, Who's on first?

bes, Choc eupatorium, and anemone (just buds, one of my favorite late bloomers.

Thumbnail by Dave47
Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

This will be the first year I do it Celeste and I am not keeping any records but I think it will be so much fun to see them grow and await their first blooms. :)

I only have one kind of Oriental Lily and I love it so I am trying to pollinate that too and hopefully try seeds?

Nice work Dave. However, I did have to use my flashlight on my screen for a couple of them.

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Actually Louise, I live in Maine and pretend I live anywhere BUT here *lol*
I brought alot of my houseplants outside this year for the first year and hung them on clothes racks outside. Many of them are blooming for the FIRST time so it's quite exciting.

This is a picture of my Grandma's Easter Cactus, it is blooming for the very first time and at the total wrong time too!

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Closeup of Gram's Easter Cactus

Kim & Celeste, how long from seed to DL bloom so you see what you've created?

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Caladiums and impatiens ......

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook
Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Yeah, I'm actually a better gardener than photographer. Several of you were talking night pictures, so I tried. I may be better off with bleached-out midday pictures.

Thumbnail by Dave47
Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

I have heard 2 years but have also heard that some people can get blooms in less than a year too. Since this is all too new to me...Celeste....?

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

What fun, Kim! It pays to think out of the box and to be creative!!

Here's a shot of my hosta that need to be divided...at full bloom....

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook
Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Oh NOOOO Dave, just play around with your camera. You know what I do? I have 5 flash settings on my camera so I take 5 shots (one on each flash setting) and then pick the one I like the best that I feel shows the best definition.

I was looking at pictures I took last year the other night and I thought....WOW those are really awful *lol* It's one of those things, the more practice the better they come out. :)

Keep trying, night shots are really fun to take and can be very stunning. I am enjoying your photos very much :)

Yes, night shots are great and of course I take any chance to jab Dave. One thing to remember though - the flash range is limited. You have to be close to get nice shots at night.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

I admire all of the photography on this thread. I have to get a lot better at taking close-ups of the individual flowers. I'm not very good at that....but I'll keep working on it. Night shots may take awhile.....Kim, that's a good tip on the multi-shots of each one. That's the beauty of the digital cameras, huh?

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Thanks Kim! I'll keep trying. It's been one of my biggest "gardening" challenges.

Donnie (Louise?) Nice combo. I didn't find the right spot for my first caladiums.

Thumbnail by Dave47

Dave - first Caladium ever or just this year? A night photo tip - if you're using auto-focus, and most of us do, use a flashlight trained on the subject so the camera focuses more easily. Otherwise it's 'hunting' a lot in the black.

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

I try to get multiple shots/setting pictures most of the time as it's truly amazing how different each setting can make a picture look. I pick the one that comes closest to the exact match of flower color.
The thing that is tricky for me is that all my purple flowers tend to look bluer in night shots. Haven't quite figured out how to photograph and get a purple flower to actually look purple and not blue.

Example: Here is a night shot of my blue double platycodon which in my eyes is actually more purple than blue but in pictures, they always look more blue.

Kim, my camera has that problem in daylight as well. Each camera's white balance is different. Some people on the forum complain about reds. It's great when you can manually adjust the white balance. But the flash changes things anyway.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

My first ever. Never tried them before. They came up late (a week or two ago) Is that normal? Mine are in heavy ,dry shade.

Thumbnail by Dave47

If you start them from tubers, and not until June, as advised, they can take very long, especially if it has not been consistently hot and humid. They are true tropicals. I have ones that are still just popping through the soil. Wish I had a greenhouse to start them in. They are beautiful. One of my favorites.

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

It's spooky out there guys. I knew I shouldn't have listened to you all.

Thumbnail by David_Paul

Ooh - you're right David. Reminds me of the maze in The Shining!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I was told it takes 2 years from seed to bloom, but have read on the lily DL forum it has been done in a shorter time period. My thoughts were to plant them in pots in the fall, nurture them thru winter.....plant outside in spring. Then maybe the following year they would bloom, it would be alittle over 18 months.

Did someone say night shots?

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Yellow Trumpet lily at night.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

One more before I'm off for lullabye land.
Glad "Bambino"? I think

Thumbnail by pixie62560

Nice shots Celeste. Nitey nite!

Hey everyone. We have all enjoyed Al's great Coneflower shots on this and other threads. He is trying to drum up support for a Coneflower forum. Add your voices here:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/621704/#new

Even if they're not one of your favorites, certainly Al is! I for one would like to see it with all the cool new hybrids coming out.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

thanks for the great photos everyone!... kim if you find out what kind of bug that is... let us know

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.