What's blooming today? # 8

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Noooo Willie!

I actually know who he was and it's not exciting for us yanks - he was the coach of an English soccer team that won the cup back in the 30's or '40's - you know - the 'other' football.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Pixie - please wish Justin a belated happy birthday. I couldn't find a red flower to send him, but I beamed him some great thoughts. Your gardening pics are gorgeous. Lucky Justin - and lucky Mom to have a son she treasures.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I meant 'Alf', Al!

Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Beautiful pictures, Everyone.

Anita,
Your vacation pictures are great!!! Glad you had a nice time.

Loretta

Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

Wow! Lots of blooms today and they are beautiful! Thanks for the comments for my pics. The landscape crew was here today to repair the damage to my neighbor's lawn when the trees were taken down. They put in our new lawn last summer and they told me how nice the gardens looked, especially the new one - said it was a jungle last year!! I was so excited to have someone notice besides the neighbor children who walk through the garden on the stepping stones and bridge. They even mentioned it to DH. DH is not a garden type person and if men can like flowers maybe having gardens is not so bad!! DH is not supportive at all - would just as soon weed wack the whole mess! This is a not very good pic of my new garden but it shows the progress. Eleanor

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb
Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

SOOOOO beautiful Eleanor.....just makes me want "stroll" along over to the bridge! Very inviting :) Don't you LOVE a compliment on your garden? It makes my day when someone notices :)

Whitehall, PA(Zone 6a)

Kim- My bee balm is in the front yard, so I didn't get to see if the hummer liked it or not. I tried to find some seeds today, but no luck. There is no pod, so the seeds are supposedly just on the head, but I couldn't find any. Boo.

Grampapa- I forgot to mention how much I like your 'Daybreaker' rose. I don't have any roses yet, but that one is so pretty I think I need it.

Victor- Sir Alf is .... WOW! Gotta have that next year!

That was Al's, aspen. He's the Dahlia King. Can't spell Dahlia without AL.

Whitehall, PA(Zone 6a)

Oh, right.... sorry AL! I love your dahlia, not Victor's. He got me thinking about Alf the tv show and I got confused. LOL

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Eleanor, What a beautiful spot! I hope DH grows to appreciate it as much as you do.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Victor didn't even catch the Willie reference though.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

great shots everyone today!.... loved them all

but the pooh herb garden wins for me today

:)

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Celeste, Please wish Justin a happy belated birthday from me. Your opening statement was the most beautiful yet.

Great pictures everyone. Anita Yours blew me away. You are so talanted.

PS: Celeste, I'm convinced you are now taking photos across the state of Maine and/or from a catalogue! Incredible!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Eleanor - thanks for the picture of your garden. I wish more members would post pictures of their landscape - not just the blossoms. It's great to get an "overall view"

BTW, I think your new garden is terrific.

Thanks guys for the comments on my new garden!! DH is beginning to appreciate the garden but depends on his mood. He had Monday off and we did some yard work - he mowed and I was putting down mulch. We actually sat on the garden bench and had a cold drink TOGETHER!! Eleanor

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I believe I promised some dahlia disbudding photos

here is a stem with 3 shoots

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

the outer 2 are pinched off,as early as you can identify if possible.

I don't do this to all of them,but it will give you longer stems and bigger flowers on larger varieties.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

will give you something like this, like I said I don't do this to the entire plant because when you deadhead this you really go back a ways.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

s'pose better show some flowers

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

My first dahlia!

Thumbnail by tamberlin
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Great pics!
Jan - I love the herb garden!
Aspen - those pics were taken with a Canon Powershot Pro1. I just bought a Powershot A570IS. I'm liking the pictures and the size of the camera. I think I prefer the larger size of the Pro for all my flower pics and closeups for the comfort. Here's a pic with the A570

Thumbnail by Anitabryk2
Whitehall, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Anita. All this gardening is making me want a new camera! Which Zinnia is that?

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

I think my favorite out of all of yesterday's favorites is Pooh's Herb Garden, too.

Fantastic photos everyone!!

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Eleanor - Your garden is really inviting and beautiful. My reaction was the same as Kim's....I want to stroll over the bridge too! And I'll bet your DH would miss your lovely environment if it weren't there!!

Al - that is a gorgeous shot of your flowers. Very pretty colors and love the dark green foliage that looks so healthy! Nice job!

Nice photo, Anita.....I am going to take a look at that camera. I've been using my DH's digital, but I'd really like one of my own that works well for photographing flowers and landscapes. Thanks for that info!

Tamberlin - Bravo! Nice one!

By the way, everyone, that wilted blue hydrangea in my new garden next to my potting shed has bounced back and looks pretty good now! I had the most pleasant morning sitting on the little porch and gazing at each of the flowers. The hardy hibiscus (red and white Luna) are just amazing. It makes me think I'm back in Florida! I'm saving the dead blossoms to collect the seeds. One pic of our pretty lilac this spring....

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Grampapa - I almost forgot.....I, too, really like that little herb garden....and all of your pretty blossoms!!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Laugh for tonight....
I was taking pictures and DH was hobbling around checking out his Pear tree. I hear his crutches behind me and I say.."Look Dear, that butterfly has the other one pinned and won't let go! It's even flying with it."
DH is now chuckling, and whispers in my ear...."I believe you are photographing them um....mating, not fighting." So here's my humiliating photo.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

Donnie, love your lilac. Do you know which variety it is?

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

That's a great shot Pixie! I guess you're a bonafide voyuer :>)

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Louise, so glad your hydrangea bounced back. I love that lilac.

Harper

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Yeah, great shot Celeste!! You sounded so innocent.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Pixie - You, Devil, You!! :)

Harper and Venu - Thanks for the Lilac compliment. It is the common variety that is the NH state flower.......will try to find the actual variety. The lilacs were especially pretty this year. The deer have eaten the buds so badly in past years, we never had many flowers. But this year, they were very dark and full.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Thanks to my DH.........the lilac variety is syringa vulgaris.

That's cute Celeste. I was censored a couple of years ago when I posted two beetles 'engaged', after I made a comment about a possible post-encounter smoke.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Must be all the heat, garden resembled red light district today.

Great pics again. Eleanor's garden is so wonderful no wonder everyone wants to walk across that pretty little bridge.

Al has given us great Dahlias once again.

Donnie the lilac is really plump and pretty.

Tams first dahlia is pretty in pink.

Venu and Grampapa and Crockny have given us tons of pretties to admire.

Aspen luv that monarda.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

al great dahlia tips & photos... thanks!

shame shame pixie

:)

Good morning to you all!! Thanks ngam!! Love your butterflies pixie - is that pic rated R or X?? Hope everyone has a blooming good weekend. The girls and I and Colin of course are off camping. The DHs opted out for the luxury of real beds, watering the new area of lawn and my flowers - and no campfires, no smores, and no family bonding!! Eleanor

edit: We are not camping in the driveway!! LOL

This message was edited Aug 3, 2007 4:30 AM

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb

Pics of my daughters, Jenn and Sarah (long hair), and grandson Colin. My DH, Doug and Sarah's DH, Anson (the younger one)!! Eleanor

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Beautiful family Eleanor. Now Celeste - I know you were told about the birds and the bees...weren't you told about the bugs too??

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I know.....after 5 kids you would think I would of had a clue! Which is why it was so humiliating and such a good laugh for DH.
When I was 21 I was in Boston and we were driving back to the Childrens Hospital after having dinner out. We went through the Red Light District, but I was so green I didn't know. I see this Lady(?) standing under a XXX Movie sign and I comment on how she's dressed. DH say's thats her work attire and thats she's a working girl and I shouldn't stare. Well im from Maine and this is during the 80's and I'd never witniessed anything like it before...so I stare. She starts waving and walking towards us yelling "3-some?"
I don't stare anymore!!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.