What's blooming today? # 8

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Nice shots ladies. Very clear Eleanor. Love those night shots Kim.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

As usual great shots everyone.
Those vacation scenes are just wonderful Anita. The last shot of lightning wow.

Pix more gorgeous DLs. 'Christmas Is' just great , my kind of color.

Eleanor, I am wanting to get that echinacea next year, a pretty pink. I already have Crocus Rose, its new this year and already know its a keeper. Clean foliage gorgeous flowers, what more could you ask for from a rose.

Kim those night shots are terrific, that balloon flower,great pic. All the colors just stand out so well. Glad you avoided the skunk!

Whitehall, PA(Zone 6a)

Great pics all and Happy belated birthday to Justin!

Anita, all you photos are great, but I can't stop looking at the "angry sea". That is truly an amazing photo. What camera are you using?

Kim, lol- I have a skunk I have to avoid also. Everytime I open the door to go out at night, or leave the dog out, I make a big production of being noisy and give him a 30second grace period to vacate the area.

In my neigborhood I am the lone crazy flower lady. My next door neighbor is just starting to garden, and has some echinacea, black-eyed susans, and daylilies, but noone else on our block has any flowers or gardens to speak of. This is my third summer in my home, and I have never seen any hummingbirds. I bought a feeder this year in hopes of attracting them, but didn't expect it to work.
I just got up from my computer a little while ago to fill my coffee cup, and what did I spy from my kitchen window? A HUMMER!!!!!!!!! I squeeled and clapped my hands like a little kid, lol. He was actually no where near the feeder, but was feeding on my crocosmia, agastache and nepeta. What a good start to the day!

Here he is just relaxing for a second

This message was edited Aug 1, 2007 8:52 AM

Thumbnail by aspenbooboo41
Kerhonkson, NY(Zone 5a)

Nice pictures everyone! Here's what's blooming in the Hudson Valley (on a ridge) as of last Sunday ... phlox and coneflowers ...

Thumbnail by crockny
Kerhonkson, NY(Zone 5a)

A corner of a horseshoe shaped bed I've never been happy with until this year ... can't wait for the globe thistle to come up in the back (it's very short now) ...

Thumbnail by crockny
Kerhonkson, NY(Zone 5a)

Some hyacinth beans on a copper teuteur my boyfriend made me ...

Thumbnail by crockny
Kerhonkson, NY(Zone 5a)

Forget the name of this daylily ...

Thumbnail by crockny
Kerhonkson, NY(Zone 5a)

Forget the name of this one too!

Thumbnail by crockny
Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Aspen,

I never had hummers either until this year (I just planted it last year) when the Red Bee Balm bloomed. All summer I have had 2 hummers fighting over the bee balm. It has been a blast watching the 2 of them, I can sit there for hours. I haven't been able to get close enough to take a picture though :( I can follow hummingbird moths around and they "love" to pose but actual hummingbirds....too fast for me yet to capture something that isn't so blurry you can't make it out. I'm going to try harvesting seeds from my bee balm if you'd like to try sowing them :) I have read it's hard to get seeds from them? But I'm going to give it a try anyways.

Kerhonkson, NY(Zone 5a)

Planted tithonias for the butterflies -- they're just starting to bloom now ... don't know why my reds don't come out so well with this camera -- they seem to bleed!

Thumbnail by crockny
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Pixie, darn it, I missed Justin's b'day. Tell him I said Happy Birthday yesterday ;0), and here's an unnamed red daylily that is one of my favorites
I'm loving 'Indian Giver' and 'Christmas Is'

Anita, if the vacation was anywhere near as good as the photography, it's a wonder you came home at all. I had a friend (she has since passed away) whose daughter owned a rental property in the Outer Banks. She & her DH were kind of caretakers, opened & closed it every year...just loved it there.

aspen, I don't blame you for getting excited about the hummer. they are one of my favorite garden 'jewels'

Eleanor, the 'Crocus Rose' is wonderful! looks like a rose within a rose

onewish, love your b'fly shots! I can never get them to hold still. I HAVE to get a b'fly bush!

I know I'm missing people, lots of wonderful lilies!

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

roses again...'Yves Piaget', looks like it arraged itself

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

'Peace' by the pair

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

'Well Being'

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

'Mother's Rose'

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

'Daybreaker'

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

'Le Reve' ...the only lily I have in bloom now, and frankly it doesn't look too good this year. the color is very pale and only 2 blooms where there were 5 last year. maybe I missed it with the bulb food.

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

'Little Heavenly Angel' is almost done for the season

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

zinnia 'Pumila' ...don't know the color ~ DH loves this one

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

first bloom on 'Twilight'

Thumbnail by grampapa
Kerhonkson, NY(Zone 5a)

Love the zinnia -- mine didn't come up this year from seed except for three of them -- I sowed the big tetra mix which is not what I usually have ... they are still really short and no sign of blooming any time soon ...

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

this is either 'Dr Ruppel' or 'Liberation' ...they are both on the same obelisk and I can't tell them apart for the life of me. even looked them up on helpmefind

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

here's Christopher Robin's Herb Garden with actual herbs growing

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

'Goldstream' creeping thyme ... this is spreading nicely and blooms are a nice light pink. I planted 6 of these last fall. trying to keep the weeds out of the edges of the rock wall.

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

one of my callunas (heather)

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

closeup of the blooms ...the landscaper threw out the tags when they were planted and I've been trying to identify the varieties ever since LOL (I'm narrowing it down...at least I've got the callunas separated from the ericas)

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

crockny, I wintersowed 3 different kinds of zinnias and wound up with exactly one plant. at least it's a good one LOL

Whitehall, PA(Zone 6a)

Kim, if you can get some seeds from the bee balm I would love to have them! I love bee balm, and have a mahogany color this year. It's a great color and the plant has a nice almost shrub-like habit. It smells great too, of course. Madeline, the 3yr old cutie-pie next door says "it smells like pizza!" LOL It really does smell just like oregano. Unfortunately, I think I've almost lost it to mildew (which has overtaken my zinnias and cosmos too). But, I will try to collect seeds from it and hopefully we can trade!

Here it is from two weeks ago when it didn't have the mildew:

Whitehall, PA(Zone 6a)

Most blooms are single, but I've had two doubles.. here's one

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Aspen, doesn't it attract hummers for you? Mine has mildew right now too but just the bottom leaves....praying I still can get seeds. Would love to share :)

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Wow, what beautiful photos to wake up to this morning everyone! Nice!

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

Wonderful shots everyone. Anita, looks like you had a great vacation. Love the angry sea.
Seandor, your dh looks suspicously like our governor.......is there anything your not sharing with us? ;>) Here's a red one for Justin's birth week

Thumbnail by venu209
The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

beauriful red, venu

beautiful EVERYTHING, everyone!! I am blown away by the photographic talent, and by the sheer numbers of lovely blooms!!

TY Candy. Here is Pulsatilla Vulgaris. Anybody know if these self seed?

Thumbnail by venu209

An easy, easy rose with no signs of any disease. Polareis

Thumbnail by venu209

Another easy one....Eden

Thumbnail by venu209
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Eleanor - I love my Hope too.
Jan - Twilight I have liked so far.

Pixie - I took a pic of this dl at an arboretum the other day. Any guesses.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Al, is this a test? LOL That looks like 'Bela Lugosi' to me or 'Strutter's Ball'....but I could be so very wrong. There are over 60,000 cultivators I think, and to guess right everytime would be a miracle.

Gram, Christopher Robins herb garden looks wonderful, it's filled out nicely. I've always loved the softness of the 'Peace' rose, but I'm really drawn to "Daybreak'. It's vibrant color just seems to scream "Look @ me!".

Crockny, those are great shots...I really like the way you combined Mondara, coneflowers and black eyed susans.

Thanks for the B-day wish's for Justin everyone.....he had a good day!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Alright - I guess, I don't know it.

Check out this piece of lavender dahlia cream pie - Sir Alf Ramsey

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Didn't he have a show in the 80's??

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.