Garden by the moon?

Placentia, CA
There are a total of 612 votes:

Yes, I refer to an almanac or other tool to start seeds, set out plants, etc.
(81 votes, 13%)
Red dot

No, I don't garden by the moon
(405 votes, 66%)
Red dot

What is gardening by the moon?
(126 votes, 20%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

taichi_kat - you might have more success asking that question in the Hosta Forum and/or CA Gardening Forum. If, however, you are looking for information specific to moon phases, please ignore my intrusion. Just trying to help. : )

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

There's a whole slew of resources and info, already posted into the new forum!

The (NEW) forum > http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/lunarmania/all/

And here's a few threads ('new' threads, & many that have been conveniently 'moved' to the forum) > http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/744082/ and http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/743797/ .. to name only a couply of 'em.

- Magpye

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I use www.gardeningbythemoon.com You can download months or buy a printed calendar. I use it as a rough guide, and I'm not a bit new-agey or into horoscopes. I do think there's a "time for every purpose under heaven." Sometimes, of course, that time is whenever you can get it done. :)

I use this sort of simple schedule w/ housework, etc., too... the "flylady" method. "I can do anything for 15 minutes!" Makes a big difference in both my house and garden. www.flylady.net

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thanks, guys!

Magpye, Years ago my grandmother was a staunch believer in the Farmer's Almanac. She fussed with my father about this all of the time because he refused to use it. Ironically, both had wonderful gardens. (Not a comment on whether gardening by the moon works or not) Anyhow, because I'd seen her with the printed version all those years, I failed to understand that these days the info might well be available on line and at the links you guys had provided. Thanks very much. I will check out those links.

Zeppy, More good info. Thanks. I will have to check out those links as well and try the 15 minute idea. I'm the worst for ending up doing nothing just because I'm overwhelmed with all that I need to do - kind of a backward way of thinking that gets me farther behind by the day.

Thanks again, everyone.

Seward, AK

Do we have a forum for being overwhelmed, unmotivated,distracted, lethargic, weary, restless and insomniac?
Carol

Casselberry, FL(Zone 9b)

I don't garden by the moon. I'm not really sure what it is. I have seen bits and pieces here and there and my father-in-law tells me to plant when there is a new moon. No idea... Guess it's off to Google we go!

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

lol yep we do

Fairborn, OH(Zone 8a)

I don't garden "by the moon", neither did my father, nor his parents (we're talking over 100 years of gardening experience here).

Yet somehow we have managed to feed our families on what we grew. My garden is considerably smaller now than it has been in the past, and it didn't go in until mid-June to end of June (because of a move), yet I've already picked peppers and my tomatoes are fruiting. I'm no worse off than gardeners who had a month or two head start.

And definitely didn't plant by the moon to do it! LOL!

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

LOL, ceeads, I think we all have that problem at one time or another!

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

I have 8 plantings of sweet corn and all look great. Obviouly not all plants could be "favorable" moon signs as they are about 10 days apart. I expect most of them to be delicious. Perhaps the last planting may have some corn earworms and be not as growthy as the rest, but that is due to sun times rather than moon times. I plant tomatoes about the same time every year so some years should be better,....right? I could say the same for other crops. I would say that my crops over many, many years have just not proven the moon plantings in my mind.

I won't say that there is nothing to the signs, but I certainly cannot say that there is either.....with 60 years of experience.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

LOL, Carol, because I recognize those symptoms all to well!

Edited to add: There may not be a Forum but if you start a thread I bet they'll come. Heck, if you do, DMail me a link, I'd love to join in.

This message was edited Jul 8, 2007 10:31 PM

Newalla, OK(Zone 7a)

Nope...but my neighbor down the road (retired farmer) does and our gardens are about equal. He's tried to give me the scoop on full moons and when to plant, but I get get dazed and confused and stumble back to my garden and plant when the mood hits me.
Might give it a try next year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.