Garden by the moon?

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)
There are a total of 612 votes:

Yes, I refer to an almanac or other tool to start seeds, set out plants, etc.
(81 votes, 13%)
Red dot

No, I don't garden by the moon
(405 votes, 66%)
Red dot

What is gardening by the moon?
(126 votes, 20%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

The only gardening by the moon I do is when I'm so engrossed in what I'm doing that I don't stop till 10 or 11 pm. This happens quite frequently...

Charleston, SC(Zone 8a)

i only garden by the moon when it is too blooming HOT to garden by the sun.

Thumbnail by paulabyers
Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

gorgeous JMG, paulabyers. around here that would be anytime from now until October!

Pasadena, CA(Zone 9b)

I know my father used to follow the almanac when tending his garden but I never really understood the reasoning. I learn so much on this site!

Love the cheque book one ...it made me Hooooowwwwwllll with laughter..
""""

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Quoting:
I once tried gardening by the moon. I got a bitten by luna-ticks. ;0)

^ THAT one ^ .. is a downright hilariously funny one, Jax4ever! .. LOL .. I jes luv it!

Yep, our family's been using the moon and its phases and other astrological signs .. to garden (seed, transplant, plant above ground crops, plant below ground crops, prune, 'treat' plants, gather seeds, weed, 'dig' crops, etc.) along with castrating livestock & doctorin' up & treating the critters, and ourselves, etc.) .. for virtually, eons. ..

- Magpye

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks Tabasco for the links...I never knew. Maybe something to try.
Don, always the poet, where do you get them from?
Jax-you are too funny!

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

I don't garden by the moon, never.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Maybe I would if I could, but I have to garden according to the phases of my kids :)

Susan

Thumbnail by soulgardenlove
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I don't garden by the moon but i should!!!!!!!! i am positive that it works as I remember my grandparents gardening that way and they always had the best veggie and flower gardening..........

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I am always checking http://www.farmersalmanac.com/gardening/gardening.html to see what it says and I try to never plant on 'barren days'.
I keep that link on my desktop so I don''t have to be on-line to see it.
My DGM was a fantastic farm manager and gardener. Her copy of Farmer's Almanac was well worn when she got her new one each year.
I do however end up planting on not optimum days as the heat keeps me inside a great deal of the time.
Sidney

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks for that link, sugarweed!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Has anyone tried gardening on the moon?

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Oh, I'm sure NASA scientists have dibbled a bit .. and other nations may've also.

The public jes isn't gonna hear the whole tale of the success (or failures) until some time later .. if then. And, then, if - it may would be the entire truth!! .. lol ..

(ohh myy, Resin .. I hope that wasn't a loaded question!) .. hee

- Magpye

I say we send all the invasive and noxious weeds to the moon! Let the little green men deal with 'em--they have green thumbs.

Andrews, NC(Zone 6a)

Almost always garden by the Farmers almanac and moon signs. I swear by it. We have been doing that way for generations here in the NC mountains, I guess it is just part of our heritage.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I garden when Venus is in inferior conjunction.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Geeze, Victor I amazed you have anything but rocls.
;)

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I did try an experiment this past winter.... I started seeds when the moon phase was right and not right for sowing... found a much higher germ. rate when the phases were correct

going to sow next years seedlings with the moon phase for sure

this is the software I tried out

http://www.humeseeds.com/software.htm

This message was edited Jul 3, 2007 7:42 PM

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
I garden when Venus is in inferior conjunction

Even easier to wait until Venus is in opposition.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I do what I have to do when I have time to do it.

I use the phases of the moon as my guideline, not my master.

I have good luck most of the time>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

OMG, Dale, those are your plants?? Looks like more than good luck to me! Gorgeous!

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

I am gonna be serious. My grandparents and my parents used the Farmers Almanac like a bible. Wish I had paid more attention to them, and learned how to use it. Dave, would there be enough interest for a Farmer's Almanac Thread, so someone who understands how to read one, could teach some of who don't know how? I would love to see something like that.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

I know what gardening by the moon is, but I don't do it. I feel like I'm too disorganized to get that on-time with my planting. I get to it when I can - sometimes 5 weeks late!

One day, definitely one day I will be that good.

Harper

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Oh, defoecat .. there needs to be such a forum.
Incidentally, I'd made a request some time back for a similar forum .. but, I'd never rec'd any type of reply/response. Hopefully, you will ..

((huggs))

- Magpye

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Cat, if you can find an old one just sit and read it. Most of the information in it is explained. Sometimes you have to go from one section to another to understand what they are talking about, but, it is easy after you get a handle on jumping from chart to chart. Don't take it too seriously, it is just a guide, not a set of commandments.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I garden by the moon when I remember, otherwise like most of you when the weather is right and my time is okay.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Resin,

I have a little hide away on the dark side of the moon, it includes hydroponics. :-)

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

I refer to an astrologic almanac for planting by the moon and signs. The water signs are typically the most fertile times and best for planting. The fire signs are good for harvesting and weeding. The earth signs are also good for planting, especially root crops. Air signs are not planting times, but times for other garden endeavors - tilling, pruning, mulching, etc. The new to full moon (waxing moon) is the best time for planting, grafting or transplanting annuals which bear above ground crops. The full to new moon (waning moon) is he best time for pruning, planting biennials, perrenials, bulb and root crops. The waning moon is also the best suited time for tilling, weeding, removing pests, and cultivation and harvesting. This method even applies to harvesting fruit. Fruit with bruises picked during the waning moon will be less likely to rot. It also a good time to cut timber as it will season better.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I've done it both ways and couldn't tell a difference at all....hence I plant the suckers when I have time and the look ready to go out.

For those of you who are truly interested, I have posted over in Dave's Garden a request for such a forum. Please go over and add your comments, maybe if we have enough interest, we will get one.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

You've got my support, defoecat .. and a DG-mail.

- Magpye

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

i would love to have a forum on this subject..........all the good farmer around here always have an almanac...............true growers outside really do use one...........I am like the person from NC........almost a part of one's heritage..........because it works!!!!!!!

Toledo, OH(Zone 6a)

If we garden on the moon, can we use earth boxes, er, moon boxes?

Lake Butler, FL

A discussion group on moonlight planting. Not bad. Sorta goes with the meditation music in the background. My son, over the last two years, has gotten Mom and Me into butterfly gardens and native gardens. I don't know a thing about moonlight. I didn't even know I was suppose to. This is my first post. Hope I do right. Peace.

Algonac, MI

I'm not a "drinkin' man", therefore; I do not garden with moonshine. Too dangerous!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

LOL! Good one LostIndian!!

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Primarily I transplant during full moon - somehow it seems to happen automatically, not sure why. Other than that, I do what I do when I have time or when it needs to be done.

lol- LostIndian.

We have the forum. It is under Garden Talk, General Gardening, and the forum is "Gardening by the Moon".

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.