Garden by the moon?

There are a total of 612 votes:

Yes, I refer to an almanac or other tool to start seeds, set out plants, etc.
(81 votes, 13%)
Red dot

No, I don't garden by the moon
(405 votes, 66%)
Red dot

What is gardening by the moon?
(126 votes, 20%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Presume it is night-time gardening by moonlight? I'd not be confident of seeing what I was doing with that amount of light!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Nope. Get eaten alive by bugs starting at dusk and they don't stop.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

I don't garden by the sign of the moon. I really thought that it was an "old wives tale". I could be wrong, becuz a lot of folks around here plant their potatoes by the sign of the moon.

Joey

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

http://www.gardeningbythemoon.com/phases.html

Well, no, I don't. Mostly I garden by the sun--when it is out, I garden.

But now that I googled GBTM, maybe there is something to it?!

I suppose gravity pull and so on might have some kind of effect on how plants grow?

Interesting DG poll and research question for some horticultural grad student....

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Nope, don't garden by the moon. When it's warm enough and the last frost has come and gone, the plants go in. When it's getting cold and first frost is coming, the planting season is done. Never looked into planting by the moon that closely though.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I am not a major "moon gardener" but.... I do use it in planting root crops/above ground crops by the dark/light of the moon. So right answer for me is yes. I buy an almanac annually too...

It is fascinating to hear barbers talk about how the moon signs affect how fast hair grows. The grave diggers will tell you at certain time of the moon they will have too much dirt left over and other times, not enough. These are modern grave diggers complete with backhoe so it is not stories spun while leaning on a shovel. Even farmers will tell you the same when they dig fencepost holes. And who doesn't know medical workers that will tell you bizarre things that happen on full moon.

You bet it will affect gardening. There is much info out there about this subject. Many believers and non believers too.

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

LOL Resin and pepper
Nearly all the farmers and gardeners follow the phases of the moon here. Almanacs are available in every newsagent.
I was beginning to give it a whirl before I came here and am continuing

Clay Center, KS(Zone 5b)

My MIL used the Farmer's Almanac and many times planted by the moon phases. She was a great gardener, so I believe it has value
If you deal with the public look at the calendar or almanac when it's unusually hectic. I strongly believe the full moon affects people!
Always wished I had the time and patience to follow the moon gardening theory, but like so many other people, it thaws, warms up, I have a few minutes free and I plant!!

Lick Creek, IL(Zone 6b)

I had a garden on the moon once but that was back in the 60's...I think. When I was a kid my grandparents and folks followed the almanac for all their gardening...had some fine gardens too...who knows?

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

I don't ,but my father does and his garden is far superior to mine. Maybe it is just his years of experience. He also only fishes by the Almamac and that works too.

Thomson, GA

I do buy an almanac every year, but am too impatient and undisciplined to plant by the moon. My grandparents did, and had wonderful veggie and flower gardens.

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

Nope don't garden by the moon. I rely on old customs of parents. Since I was born and raised right here I never put fragile annuals in the ground before May 15th. So far I have been lucky. Yvonne

(Zone 1)

I love Gardening, but mostly do it in Daylight hours! Hey .... I would garden ON the moon if I could survive and live there! Maybe someone should suggest that Astronauts take some Moon Flower seeds to sow next trip they make up that way?

...... just a thought!

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

The almanac it praises, To plant by lunar phases.
An instance where astrology, purports to rule ecology.
The moon in fact presides, o'er neap and vernal tides;
But the only plants it speeds, I think are all my weeds!

(Zone 1)

Oh Don .... I love it! So true for a lot of us I think! I have soooo many weeds ... constantly pulling!

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

No. just enjoy seeing it, do not go by anything

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I TRY to garden by the moon, but if it's waning and I have something I really want to plant... well...

I did plant some spaghetti squash during the waning moon and it was not doing well. I put in more seeds when the moon was waxing and they are doing fine. Whether that really was lunar influence or not I can't say, of course. Could have been a multitude of other variables. But it was interesting.

I've also seen charts of things such as only plant legumes on Thursdays if the moon is in Sagittarius... Just ain't going to go there. Life's too short, and there's too much to do in the garden!

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

I once tried gardening by the moon. I got a bitten by luna-ticks. ;0)

Cardiff, ON(Zone 4a)

At this point I figure I'm doing well just to get my gardening done when I can squeeze it in. I need to do things when I get the chance, othwise wh knows when my next opportunity will be. I would like to try gardening by the moon when I get a little more organized though.

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

I do sometimes but not all the time.

Gwen

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Tabasco: I chose C-What is it. Now I know. THanks for the link.

Jax4ever: Funny. ;->

Deb

Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

Tee hee Jax4ever! :)

Stratford, CT(Zone 6b)

My Grandfather who gardened according to the phases of the moon grew excellent vegetables and is the person who taught me how to garden. Like him, I garden according to the moon's phases and use the Farmer's Almanac every year and so far have also had excellent vegetables. Maybe it's just an old wive's tale as others have suggested, but it definitely works for me so I'm sticking with it.

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

I don't plant by the moon, but I believe "in it" and would if I had the stuff memorized. So, I guess if it's not raining and the sun is shining, you'll find me planting or puttering around outside doing something.

Tabasco, thanks for the link.

Willow River, MN

I've found that the full moon in May almost brings frost in northern MN, so putting out flowers and vegetable plants (peppers & tomatoes) can be risky. Planting potatoes at the full moon is widely thought to be helpful here.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Odd, how even thru our winters the full moon will bring the coldest temperatures... some things are predictable.

Lakes of the Four Se, IN(Zone 5a)

More often than not I am finishing up my gardening chores after dark. Could that be considered "gardening by the moon'?

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I've often thought that I'd like to give it a try just as an experiment, but I just plant things when I plant them. I guess you could say that I garden by the mood - when I'm in the mood to plant something.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks,

Here's another moon gardening link from National Geographic

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/07/0710_030710_moongarden.html

Waxahachie, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh great! So now, along with the temp, precip, pH levels, insects, my neighbor's escaping cows, and my burrowing dog, I have to worry about the phases of the moon? I must really love this stuff! GROW ORGANIC!!

Thumbnail by broncbuster

I do think it works but let's be honest...we garden when we have the time! and hope for the best.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I have to garden when I can find the time and the energy at the same time and the weather is cooperating. lol, dont have time to wait to get the moon coordinated as well.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Maybe it works - I don't know. I never had seeds not come up and then had to shake my fist at that darn moon.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

I didn't know the Farmer's Almanac was about that--I knew it had hints for successful gardening, but I've only flipped through it a couple times. Never really read it. Interesting!

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

I've always wanted to try it, but have always found it much more important to just get things planted when the weather is right and I have sufficient time. So I'm another no.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I tried but transforming into a wolf got to be too much!

Don, Another great poem. You are CT;s rapper gardener!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I garden with the phase of the moon in mind for a few activities. It helps to keep me organized. New to full moon is for planting, propagating. Full to new moon weeding, cutting back plants. I do whatever I need to do, when it needs to be done, but, a little planning doesn't hurt.

Have heard of gardening by the moon, but I have never studied or attempted it. Things grow really well around here. I don't have too much of a problem. More of a problem with overgrowth! (and weeds.... will they ever stop???)

This message was edited Jul 2, 2007 7:33 PM

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

I garden by my checkbook. ;^)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.