Nature's Underwater Gardens II

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Ok, it can be found on other animals if there aren't enough dogs around. So if you let your cat out check Bogie for any BEFORE bringing him in. The ticks have a shorter life cycle inside but can still cause problems.

A good treatment for it is Permethrin Clothing treatment. Says one site anyways. lol

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Thanks! I've never seen a tick - so not sure what to look for - but I assume he would scratch at a spot if he got bit, right? I sound sooooo stupid! LOL

Here is a site for info.

http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/urban/medical/brown_dog_tick.htm

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Well, we were told that if we see one to take our pet immediately to the vet clinic. So that is what I would do.

It says to to that too.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

EEEEEEEEUUUUUUUUUUWWWWWWWWWW.....I DO NOT want those anywhere near my boys! Or me! Or my granddaughter!!!!! Yuck!

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Islanshari, I so appreciate your beautiful pictures! Thank you so much for sharing with us. Seeing your posts gives me a glimpse of how beatiful the ocean can be.

I saw your entry on the ticks. I used to work as a pet groomer and in the spring and summer most dogs and some of the cats would have them. Some of the poor dogs would come in with the ticks on them by the hundreds! There are many different kinds of ticks and they can range in size from poppy seed to a bit over a quarter inch. The dogs/cats can actually get what is called "tick paralysis" from having so many where they can literally no longer walk. I had an occasion or two when the owner of the pet had to carry them in but after I removed most of the ticks they could run right out the door with their owners. I sometimes wished I could put the owners through what they put those poor dogs and cats through!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Welcome, welcome tetleytuna! I'm glad you enjoy the pics. I enjoy posting them. I don't think I could have kept my mouth shut when giving back the poor beasties! My boys have been all over the world with me, and they are getting old, but they are still my babies and I sure don't want them getting anything like this horrid tick! I may start keeping them completely inside! Of course they won't like that at all, but I sure don't want them getting that ugly thing!

Let's look at something prettier instead, shall we? Here is a Rabbitfish, amongst others - guess he's looking through the coral for a carrotfish. Groan, oh that was bad!

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Yes that was bad!! LOL

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

We have four ticks that are found in this region.

Dermacentor occidentalis (Pacific Coast Tick) ~ not too bad here
Dermacentor variabilis (American Dog Tick) ~ quite common
Ixodes pacificus (Western Black Legged Tick) This one is most common in this area.
Rhipicephalus sanguineus (Brown Dog Tick) ~ this one is not common outside of kennels which I have never used for my dogs.

I am forever removing them from the cats at work that come to eat in the evening. I have one big Tom Cat that must lay in tick brush all day because I remove 10-20 ticks off him each week. I have learned to wear white socks with my pants tucked into them when hiking in tall grassy areas and to make sure we check for hitchhiking ticks when we get home.

I use frontline on my dog and she has never had a tick or fleas but my friend's dog gets them when they go hunting. We don't take them to the vet for removal in fact we don't go to the Dr. to have them removed if they get on us. We just gently pull them straight out and then destroy them or if lyme desease has been reported in the area we put it in a jar and take it in for testing.

They are icky but not bad enough to panic over :~)

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

This is the weirdest "off topic" conversation I have seen yet on DG! Here we are in the UWG II thread, talkin about a yucky bug that is most definately landbased! If John were here he'd give us all a poke! LOL! Zany, you are definately much more courageous than I...just the thought gives me the heebeegeebee's.

This is a pic of a red-breasted wrasse. Nope, not a fungus (nor a bug!) that is what they all look like.

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

He looks like he had his head burried in mud for a meal and forgot to clean up after dinner

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

By gosh - you're right! That's exactly what he looks like. I especially like the way he splashed the spaghetti into his eyes!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

He is obviously a long noodle slurper type that doesn't go in for winding the spaghetti around a fork.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

A fish after my own heart! LOL

LOL!!

Hi Tetleytuna!!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Happy Sunday to you folks on the other side of the date line! Since the last guy was obviously some kind of slobby eater....I decided to show one of our more graceful and delicate lovelies: Here is an Ornate Butterflyfish:

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Oooh, like the buttefly fish!!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Yes...the butterfly's are some of the prettier fish out here. Here is a Latticed Butterfly:

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

That ornate looks like the top of an orange marangue pie my aunt used to make. She always striped the marangue on the top so the orange filling showed through . MMMM makes me hungry thinking about it.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

LOLLOLOL Zany you always manage to crack me up! Got that recipe? It sounds like something I'd really like to try!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Hiya Folks! All this talk about food. If I hadn't just gotten back from a Mexican Buffet I'd be starving about now! HAHAHA

Love those butterfly fish Shari. They are beautiful and I can see how they got their names. The colors are so pretty!

Zany, that pie sound delicious! I do love lemon meringue pie. I can't say that I've ever made one though. I'd love to have the recipe so I could try it out in my new oven. :-)

You all were talking about ticks earlier. One day I saw this THING on Grace, my lab/golden mix. She'd been hunting the weekend before. It was HUGE!!!! It was a tick that was so swollen it was about the size of a first grader's pencil eraser.

My Mom was talking about ticks also in an email. She said they were having problems in Virginia with them really bad.

Janet

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Now I'm itchin again, and lookin around at every little speck of dirt in case it has legs.....I should never have asked the question! Ugh!

Here are some parrotfish to get my mind off ticks!

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

No, she never wrote a recipe down in her entire life and if asked would say something like "just make a lemon pie with oranges" or "oh, I don't know, I just sstart a mixin and a pie pops out of the oven" I sure do miss my aunt...and her pies!

West Bay, Cayman Islands(Zone 11)

Hey everyone!!!

Glad to be back on island again...got back yesterday and thankful to have a public holiday today...we sure need today for unpacking, laundry, much needed rest...etc....had a good trip and have lots to tell...not here though as it has nothing to do with u/w gardens.....

tick: redneck beauty mark

glad to see everyone again,
john

schooling blue tangs

Thumbnail by caribblue
Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

"Tick, redneck beauty mark" Made me spurt coffee out my nose. That was a new redneck joke for me. And I thought I'd about heard them all.

Welcome back to your forum....or is it my forum...I seem to be spending a lot of time here.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

The blue tangs look like they have a blue neon outline. How large are they?

Sorry it has taken me all day to reply to your question...busy here.....someone threw a dead yard bird in my trash...in a plastic bag....(chicken) ...you don't want that on your mustache...Dang! my Lab ran for safe harbour.....anyway..hope that didn't ruin dinner for anyone....

The Blue Tangs are about 8-12 inches when full grown and a favorite meal for eels and other reef predators....we actually got to see a spotted moray take a tang during a night dive and it was an amazing site...did you guys know that a fish will swallow another fish head first all the time?????? You fisherman out there know that when you fish for tunas that you must count to ten before setting a hook on a lip-hooked bait...that's because a tuna must first turn the bait around to swallow it.....don't know where I'm going with this but after reading the posts left since I've been off island...okay, Katie slapped me around and I'm back......Shari, we need to talk!!! Something cool is developing and I need your assistance...has nothing to do with any of this......send me a dmail with contact numbers if you can...or my gmail address.....

I have missed you all and these forums...glad to be back and catching up with you kids, one post at a time....

j

Thumbnail by caribblue

LOL. Bout time you got back John!! And love that redneck joke. Gotta pass that along to my dad and one of my brothers.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

John....Sure did miss you - so glad you are back! Love the pics, and I will send d-mail as soon as this gets posted. Want to hear it all! I'm with Zany - just about choked on my coffee with that red-neck beauty remark!

Here's a Freckled Hawkfish jb just shot yesterday....

Thumbnail by Islandshari

My mom got the joke right away but a friend of mine didn't. The worse part is she is also a redneck!! LOL

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Who - mom or friend?

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

That one has almost as many freckles as my Mothers brothers. (I'd call them my uncles but we are the same age and they hate it)

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Hahaha....got a few of those in my family too.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Okay....stats tell me that this has been looked at 416 times. Some of you lurkers....stop and say hello!

Hello everyone

In full agreement with this thread's starter, the ratio between views and posts is way off...come on and post some comments and pictures of our underwater planet!!!

Here we have a fire worm eating his way through some fire coral rods...you don't want to touch one of these guys, they don't get there name for being fun to play with....your fingers will feel like someone smashed them with a hammer!!

john

Thumbnail by caribblue
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

john, do I take it that you have personally touched a fire worm?

No, absolutely not. I learned from years ago to look with you eyes and not your hands...as a rule, anything that is the color of this worm, or, mustard colored, will produce intense sting/pain. I have seen other divers touch/kill things and pay for their actions by soaking in vinegar just to try and ease the pain.....

some micro-organisms in the water you can not avoid...such as thimble jelly fish larvae, there is no avoiding them and can produce intense stinging and itching but normally doesn't last more than a week...locally called "sea itch" happens certain times of the year. When Thimble Jellyfish are here, the numbers of turtles near the surface feeding on them is amazing...normally the jellies and their larvae are only in the first 15 feet of the water column. When you have to come to the surface, you can use the purge button on your regulator to use the bubbles to make a safe path out of the water without getting stung!!!! Air supply permitting of course!!!

j

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Everyday is another opportunity to learn from "Tropical Gardening". Always look forward to the pictures and now even more information. Better than any class.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.