First Fawn of the rehab season

Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

The first fawn of the season has arrived. Each year I raise and release two to four along with all the other animals at, what seems to be “rehab central” right now. This is a little doe that survived for three days on her own after her mother was killed on the road. The man that hit the doe was in such a hurry to get her home and butchered that he left the fawn standing alone beside the road. Please, if you see a doe killed along the road with a fawn, call someone. The sheriffs department will have the names of local rehabbers. This little girl wandered around the area bleating until someone was able to get their hands on her and bring her to me. For a fawn to survive alone with all the coyotes we have in the area is absolutely amazing, so we call her Mazie.
She is with a lone bronze-breasted turkey poult and a Canada goose gosling that walked up to me in the yard last week. All seem to have bonded and spend the nights cuddled up together in the pen. When I went to feed Mazie at 4 this morning, she was actually grooming the gosling. If another deer doesn’t come in for her to bond with, this is going to be one odd trio!

Thumbnail by jylgaskin
The Woodlands, TX(Zone 8b)

That's so sad he left her alone.

But yay for you!!! She is gorgeous with her new friends.

Red Oak, NC(Zone 7b)

Very cute!!

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Cute picture. What lucky animals to have you to take care of them!

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

What a precious photo!

Marlton, NJ

So adorable!

It's a good news, odd news and bad news day. Now that the fawn has settled down and is eating well, I took the time to examine it throughly and weigh it. The good news is that it has gained almost a pound in three days and you can no longer see ribs under the skin. The odd news is that I have to change it's name. It's not a doe as I first thought, it's a little buck. Not only does he have the bucks equipment, but he is also starting to get the two little dark spots on his head where his horns will be. He is starting to see me as "Mom" and jumps up to greet me whenever I come into his pen with the bottle. I'm hoping that tomorrow, if it's nice I'll let him out of the pen for awhile and get annother picture to post.

Todays bad news is that sometime, early this morning, the turkey decided to sleep on the goslings head and we lost him. It's hard enough in this job to loose amimals to injuries and such, but when it happens through stupid accidents, I always feel guilty and think I should have anticipated it. (I'm not sure what is dumber, a goose or a turkey)

I've posted a pic of the little sparrow that fell into someones salad plate at an outdoor cafe. His eyes were still closed and was what we call a UFO (unidentifiable fuzzy object). He's been here a little over a week and is thriving on soaked Beniful dog food.

If people are intrested, I'll keep up a rehab report on some of the animals that come through here this summer. (If not, I'll shut up)

Thumbnail by jylgaskin
Marlton, NJ

We would love to see more pics and hear updates.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

More, more....you have a great sense of humor and a good heart. Don't feel bad about losing one of your babes, after all they had NO chance before coming to you and you have given them at least a shot at a normal life.
I know many fawns die in the woods, (as well as geese and others) but if we can try to save ones that would have died due to human contact, I think that is our duty as humans.
Sounds like you do a great job, and I agree, geese and turkeys are pretty dumb.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

i am watching too:)

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Yes, please continue!

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Please tell us more rehab stories! YES

YES...more please!

Salt Lake City, UT(Zone 6a)

This is just what I need. Killing animals happens too often over @ the Poultry & Livestock forum, which is where I have been spending alot of time lately (just got chicks). Even posting pictures so that you can not open the forum without having to look at someones "kill" that they are soo proud of. Predator proofing doesn't seem to be an option just kill them and the ones that follow. So I NEED this - emotional bandage...........thanks, keep up the good work and I love the pic's sorry for your loss, but I appreciate you!

Tucson, AZ

What a wonderful story. Thank GOD (or your higher power) ;-) for folks like you in this world. Yes please, photos and stories or whatever you care to share.

YOU people are just what I needed! When you do rehab work, you have to put up with a lot of death, just yesterday, I got a tiny raccoon that was too far gone to save and a bird so badly injured that I had to put it down. Then you get the ones that you CAN save and it's a great feeling to release them back into the wild. I have a whole herd of deer in the neighborhood that I can recognize on site.

You also have to put up with a lot of idiots. People who call and expect you to drive all the way across the county to pick things up. They don't understand that if I went to pick up every animal, I wouldn't be home enough to feed them. I figure that if I bear the expense of raising these animals (at least $150 for a deer), they can cover the cost of the gas to bring them to me. Other people get furious when you won't take an animal like a coyote or a raccoon (the only two, other than federally protected birds that I won't take). I did raccoons for years and believe me, there are only three things that a baby coon does...eat...scream...and poop. I've had enough of all. Not only that, but if you release them less than 5 miles away, they find their way home. We discovered this the hard way, when we ended up with a full-grown coon trying to get in bed with us. (We have a doggy door, he wasn't tame) It was ugly)

So anyway, it gets a little discouraging at times. Other times, it's such a blessing. How many people ever get to sit on the couch and watch TV with a baby red fox bouncing around the room?

I let the fawn out for awhile this afternoon when it wasn't raining. He explored the fenced in area near the house. He checked out all the baby squirrels the peacock and ate a few dandelions. If you look in the photo, he has the fuzz on his nose.

Thumbnail by jylgaskin
Red Oak, NC(Zone 7b)

Srry to hear about the gosling.. But yes please continue the pics and stories.

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Wow! Were you asleep when the raccoon came in to the bedroom? That could be a real rude awakening!

Darling image of the lil' fawn.

It's too bad the gosling was lost, but the unexpected happens sometimes, even with our pets. Take it as a learning experience, and continue your good work! I thank you for your rehab efforts!

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

I think this is a great thread and will be sooo happy if you continue it. I think you rehabers are great. The only time I tried to use animal rehab services was for a little buck fawn hubby and I found out in the woods. We thought it very strange that we could get within a few yards of him (from behind) without spooking him. We finally figured out he was deaf. He only ran once he could either see or smell us. Sadly, the rehabers told us that under state law they are not allowed to take critters that have something wrong with them. They have to "let nature take it's course." His mama had abandoned him but he had managed to survive to about 2 months old. He had a trail he followed between two grass patches where he had wheat from the food plot and there were several huge oaks that were dropping acorns real good at the time. Critters are just amazing and I'm so glad we have dedicated folks like you to help them out when they need it. God bless you.

Memphis, TN(Zone 7b)

PLEASE PLEASE continue....I wish I could do this kind of thing too - but live in suburbia....frowned upon. Maybe some day....

Marcia

Lyndonville, NY

Yes, please do continue. I enjoy your "tales of tails" and adventures. It is sad about the baby goose, but not for lack of caring on your part. I think he was actually smothered with love, from the turkey.

Debbie

It's been a busy day around here, too many animals, not enough hands. I built a huge fenced in area for my young chickens and turkeys today. About an hour after I got them in there, the peacock decided to join them and later, I found the lame wild turkey tom (he was struck by a car, three weeks ago) standing forlornly by the fence, so I let him in. It must be the flock instinct, because he is calmer and more content than he been the whole time he has been here. He isn't well enough to respond to the young turkeys and peacocks displays, but he did a lot of gobbling.
At least now, everyone should stay out of the garden. (I hope)

Some bunny has been in the garden! Even with the fence, the cottontails find a way to my spinach, lettuce and green beans. I can't complain a whole lot though, I raised most of the rabbits in the neighborhood and really don't begrudge them a free meal now and then, but I do wish they would let the beans, get their second set of leaves at least!

I opened the door on the squirrel cage this morning, so the baby blacks could get used to the outside world and meet the other yard squirrels. Usually they just venture out to the tree above the cage for the first few days and sleep in their pen at night till they are used to being on their own. Well, by noon, I went out there and they had guests for lunch. Instead of two squirrels in the pen, there were 4. Just like adult children, the not only don't move out, but they bring their friends home too! Well, at least they are making friends.

The fawn caught a chill yesterday, but seems to be doing much better today with antibiotics, a heating pad and an indoor play pen. I tried to find a vet that would see him, but not many will treat wildlife and even fewer are willing to see a deer. Finally, I went out "trick-or-treating" for drugs and found a friend with some left over antibiotics from her goat. (Deer are treated similar to goats). It's working, thank God, and he now has a St Francis medal tied to his playpen. (I need all the help I can get) I think he rather likes the play pen thing and being in my studio, but tomorrow, while it's warm, he goes back outside to be a DEER.

Someone brought in a baby duck tonight, that's about a day old. My Aconna duck just hatched out her babies yesterday, so as soon as this one is on his feet and healthy, I'll kidnap a few of hers for a day and send them all back out together to her. I've found that I can get her to accept wild babies this way. Last year, she raised two mallards and a Canada goose. It was a real riot watching her with her string of little yellow and gray ducklings and then two odd aged mallards and a half grown goose following behind.

Well, it's off for the last feeding before bed for all of us. I think tonight, the fawn can go all night without a bottle in the middle. The photo is of the Squirrel pen with to juvenile blacks. (The smaller cage is full of red squirrels, but that's another story.)

Goodnight all.

Thumbnail by jylgaskin
Tucson, AZ

Absolute paradise! I am going to move in with the squirrels and be your assistant.
Do you name your animals?

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

The last fawn picture was sooooo cute it made me laugh. The raccoon story was soooo funny it made me cry. Sounds like you work very hard.

jyl, your experiences are so interesting! You should write a book about your rehabber life. You do a wonderful job!
It's a shame that most vest won't help out wildlife. The same with wolves, vets won't vaccinate them...so it's better that someone's wolf dog gets rabies? I just don't get it.

Neat about the Aconna duck momma and her 'odd' family.

Thanks for sharing with us!

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

I agree--you could write an enjoyable book on your experiences. What was the name of that book from years ago, "All Things Great and Small," something like that. Can't remember the author (he was a vet) but the book was good. And you're keeping a diary of sorts right here on DG!

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

I just tuned in and I'm hooked! I agree with everyone else - this is SO interesting! And I have to say too, your photography is superb. I an't wait to read your next installment.

The fawn is completely well! He is back to gaining weight and tonight will be the first night that he sleeps outside all night. (Unless I start feeling sorry for him in the middle of the night again) He is eating about 12 to 15 ounces of goat formula four to five times a day. This morning I let him out after feeding and he bounced all over the yard and chased the poor old beagle back into the house. We walked around the back yard and I offered him bits of raspberry leaves and other favorite browse. I brought some leaves back to his pen, but he was in no way ready for a nap. He went over and pestered the red squirrel for a while then found a nice spot in the sun.
Now, about the red squirrel. I'm not fond of the little buggers. They get in my attic and bowl with black walnuts. They chew wires (especially on Christmas lights). They eat baby birds and eggs and even worse to think of, they castrate other squirrels. We call them "Little Napoleons". They sit in the trees and bark at us and have no fear of anything. Most people share my feeling about them, but when they are confronted with a handful of orphaned babies, they melt to putty in their little red paws. Of course, this year people have brought me lots and lots of red squirrels. I've already released 5, but this little guy was to young to go with the rest.
As soon as he could drink out of a dish, I put him in with the other reds. He had milk on his head and they licked him so much that they licked all the hair off the top of his head. So the others went far, far away and he remained. Two mornings ago, I went out to feed him and he was gone! He had chewed the clothespin that held the cage door shut and escaped. My husband was not happy. He said, "You know the rules. Coons go 5 miles away and NO red squirrels released in the yard!" He really didn't appreciate the fact that it was an accident.

The little devil taunted me all that day and the next, staying just out of reach. Then a bit before sunset, the peacock startled him and he ran right up my pant leg. My husband came out of the house just in time to see me disrobing on the back deck, trying to get a red squirrel out of my pants. This, of course, he appreciated.

It finally ended with the red back in his cage and the next door neighbor applauding. He'll be ready to go next week. (The squirrel, not the neighbor.)

I'll try to get a photo of the "salad plate' bird tomorrow. He is fully feathered now and able to fly, unfortunately, NOT able to feed himself. So, inevitably, as soon as you open the door to feed him, out he comes! Then we play "chase the sparrow" for at least a half-hour. You know the old song about "His Eye is on the Sparrow and I Know He Watches ME"? Well, knowing that God is watching him, may be the only thing that keeps me from getting out the fly swatter.

Time to go there are babies to feed and furry butts to wash.

Thumbnail by jylgaskin
Tucson, AZ

Some years ago I belonged to EARTH FIRST and went on a seven day fast to save the red squirrels here on Mt. Graham, Az. 7 days in that squirrel suit protesting for hours on the UA campus. (They wanted to build a telescope up there.) It's not the same red squirrel but close enough. Funny world.

You are doing a wonderful thing Jylgaskin.

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Love your stories jyl--you really do need to write that book! If someone could have video taped that red squirrel episode, you would have been the winner hands down on America's Funniest Videos!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Red squirrels ugh! Are you releasing them down here? I have never seen so many reds in my life as this year. They are all over the place!

SEVEN days in a squirrel suit? Now that's dedication.
When I was a child, there was an old Mexican woman that they called Goya who lived with friends of the family. She was tiny and wrinkled and ran a house with 6 children with an iron hand. One day, one of the boys was teasing a scraggly yellow barn cat by tying things to it's tail. She grabbed the cat. She grabbed the boy and gathered all of us children together. She sat down stroking the angry cat until it started to purr. "Children", she said, "You must always remember to be kind to animals, for they are close to God. When you die and need to cross over the river to paradise, all the animals you have ever known will be there on the shore. The animals you have helped and been kind to will carry you across the river, the ones you have been unkind to will not." Then she looked directly at Jerald and said with a narrowed eye." To you, this cat, will be sitting on your head!"

Goya put down the cat, which looked rather smug at this point, dusted off her skirt, and went back to her tamales. We children stood speechless, each remembering every frog we poked with a stick, every time we forgot to feed our dog, every chipmunk we ever chased. Gayle leaned over and whispered in my ear, "Do you think bugs count?"

"I don't know ", I said, "but I'm gonna watch out for those ants in the drive."

That story has stuck with me, my entire life. I hope I will have a raft of animals, so my feet never get wet. WINEAUX, I know that there will be no red squirrels sitting on you head.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Great story. It is amazing how just a few words from someone can change your life.

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

What a wonderful story. We are so impressionable as children and it's amazing how one story like that can influence the road we choose in life. I think folks like you and Goya shouldn't have any problem crossing over. I think she would be quite proud of you today.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I would like to think that being cruel or mean to animals is different than hunting, culling, or eating animals and using skins. If not, I am in big trouble. I have eaten alot of fish, beef, pork, venison and have worn leather shoes etc for years.
There would be no room on my head for the red squirrels with all the cows, pigs, chickens and deer up there.

I admit that I am not a vegatarian and my husband hunts. I do feel guilty in eating factory farmed animals, so I make sure that the animals I raise (chickens, rabits and turkeys have good lives and merciful deaths. If I am going to eat meat then I feel it is my duty to particapate in the food chain and be fully aware that some creature gave it's life to fill my plate.

I am also not opposed to hunting, IF THE PERSON IS HUNTING FOR MEAT AND USES THAT MEAT. I cannot tolerate the thought of trophy hunting or killing for the sake of killing (Mourning doves). If you eat the meat, by all means hunt. If a preditor is endangering your property, take care of it, but make peace with the spirit of that animal and treat it with respect.

I am always aware that an animal I raise and release may be hunted, but that is a part of the circle of life and I accept that. (As long as nobody brings home an animal I recognise)

I don't think any animal treated with respect and dignity would ever sit on our heads in the river. (It may not HELP us cross, but it won't try and stop us) We will all have to face the creator in the end and I'm sure his judgement would be far harsher than the animals.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Ok, I feel better now. That was a big load of animals on my shoulders. But the statement is still a good one, esp for children who may not think about the suffering of a frog if poked by a stick.
I am a hunter, but I hate to see animals suffer. There are alot of bad hunters out there and I think they give us all a bad name sometimes. I do alot more watching than bringing home. I also do not approve of dove hunting. Of course these are just my personal beliefs.
It takes such dedication to save these animals. And I bet it is heart breaking to loose them, and also to let them go out into the cruel world out there.

Tucson, AZ

GOD bless you all.

I have to tell myself over and over, from the moment they come in the door to the moment I release them, that they are not pets. They are not mine to keep. They are entrusted to me for just a little while, but they belong to God and the wild. Sometimes it is really hard, but boy is it worth it to see an animal all grown up and free and know that I put them there.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Born free......la la la la la la.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.