Wildlife: First Fawn of the rehab season, 1 by jylgaskin

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright jylgaskin

Subject: First Fawn of the rehab season

Forum: Wildlife

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of First Fawn of the rehab season
jylgaskin wrote:

The first fawn of the season has arrived. Each year I raise and release two to four along with all the other animals at, what seems to be “rehab central” right now. This is a little doe that survived for three days on her own after her mother was killed on the road. The man that hit the doe was in such a hurry to get her home and butchered that he left the fawn standing alone beside the road. Please, if you see a doe killed along the road with a fawn, call someone. The sheriffs department will have the names of local rehabbers. This little girl wandered around the area bleating until someone was able to get their hands on her and bring her to me. For a fawn to survive alone with all the coyotes we have in the area is absolutely amazing, so we call her Mazie.
She is with a lone bronze-breasted turkey poult and a Canada goose gosling that walked up to me in the yard last week. All seem to have bonded and spend the nights cuddled up together in the pen. When I went to feed Mazie at 4 this morning, she was actually grooming the gosling. If another deer doesn’t come in for her to bond with, this is going to be one odd trio!