First Fawn of the rehab season

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

we are so needy.....pictures pictures...stories stories:)

Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

I got the chance to get some pictures of Buckwheat today. I had my husband take them while I was feeding him, so I would have more than just his nose in the photo. He may look a bit scruffy, as he was still wet for the rain. He spends most of the day outside the yard now and I have seen him with another fawn, so he is getting to know his own kind. He must be over the fence now as I went out to call him for his evening bottle and he didn't come. Hmmm, it seems that I am being replaced in his affections. I always feel better when he sleeps in the yard, but I don't have a lot of control over that anymore. He is getting wary of strangers in the yard and will not approach people unless I am there with them. This is really good!

Late last night I got in another duck. Its sibling had come here with a broken wing last week. The wing was dragging on the ground and the break was at least 4 days old. Since a bird's bones are hollow, it is very difficult to reset them and have then heal properly and a wing, unless surgically repaired is almost never strong enough to support flight. The best I could hope for is to pull the wing up and have it set in a more natural position and not drag. I taped her up and hoped for the best. The rain this morning, worked much of the tape loose, but I noticed that the wing was staying up and she is MOOVING it. I am hoping that the last bit of tape will hold it in place for a few more days and, by then, a callus will be forming on the bone and it will stay. She won't be able to fly, but she can do well with a bit of support.

Anyway, as I said last night I got another duck from the same source. It is the sibling (brother I believe) to the first. It is missing half of its upper bill. It can only eat in the water, as it cannot pick up food off the ground with the upper portion missing. It was very thin and the bill is healing at the end, so I mixed up dog food and water in a bowl and he is eating that. Once I get weight on him, then we can address the problem of his bill. The two options that I have are to try to build a prosthetic piece and possibly bolt or pin it to the remaining portion (very difficult) or trim a portion of the lower bill to allow him to pick up food. This will cause his tongue to stick out a bit (Oh, what a lisp he will have! He will sound like Daffy Duck) I am hoping to get a vet to help me in this process (my family is a bit squeamish), so we can cauterize it as we do it. Either way his prospects are, I'm afraid grim. Whether I will be able to do anything will depend on how the upper bill heals and if the duck is able to eat enough to maintain weight and growth.

Since both ducks were injured at the exact same time and place and were members of the same family group, I assume that they were hit by a Jet Ski or fast boat. Some people think it is fun to run through groups of ducks on the lake and never realize or consider the consequences. It's sad.

The possum with the infected leg is healing nicely and I'll be glad to see him go. The little ones, I called McStinkies, this one I call McNasty! He's a pretty awful little creature and tries to bite at every occasion. Of course, I'd consider biting anyone who held me down and cleaned my wound and then gave me bubblegum flavored antibiotics! I won't worry about him coming after my chickens later as I think he'll get as far away from here as possible.

The five little ducks that were adopted by my Rouen are growing fast and taking little test flights about the yard. Soon the migrating flocks will be flying over and hopefully they will leave me far behind. I just love ducks. I think God created them for pure joy. They are always busy "bugging" about the yard and their actions are so comical. I raised a group of 11 one year. At the time my studio was in a converted garage with the doggy door. Their early life was spent in the studio with me and they moved outside as soon as they were old enough. I would be working in the studio and I would hear the flap of the doggy door softly opening and closing...11 times. They would all gather in a little group on the other side of the room and settle down. I always knew they were there as I could hear them constantly whispering and conversing in that way that only ducks do. Pretty soon, one or two couldn't stand it any more and rise up and "Quack, Quack, Quack" (Maybe they were laughing over a joke). Then I would turn around and say "All right! Everybody out! Ducks don't belong in the house" They would all file out through the doggy door, looking like children caught being naughty. Pretty soon the whole process would start all over again.

That summer, we had to have our septic tank dug out and pumped. The gentleman dug a large round hole to get to the lid. Something must have been amiss as he was on his hands and knees looking down into the hole and in a ring, all around the hole were my ducks. He stood up and they all looked up at him expectantly. He looked down and the ducks did too. I went out the back door to inquire if they were bothering him, but he shook his head. "No mam, they aren't in the way" he said, "but I sure wish they'd keep their advice to themselves".

I still hold that priceless image in my mind. Large man in dirty overalls and 11 baby ducks chatting in my back yard.

Thumbnail by jylgaskin

The full shot of Buckwheat. Notice that he only has spots left on his shoulders.

Thumbnail by jylgaskin
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

What a great story! The image of the ducklings helping the septic guy is priceless!

Buckwheat is looking good! He's probably busy with "teen dating" in the evening and isn't coming home 'cause he's hanging out with a young doe.

Thanks for posting the updates. Hope the broken wing & beak heal well. They are lucky to have you.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

love the duckling story and the doggie door....and buckwheat ...well don't tell him...he is so beautiful:)

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

I have no idea what I am doing up at 3:11 in the morning, but I am so glad I am as I just found this delightful thread.

I have looked at all the photos, but only skimmed the stories so hope to really get into them all tomorrow.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

The duck story was so funny I cried. I watch ducks alot and know what you are talking about. Are they not the greatest? They do whisper to each other, then laugh and jokes. (I think they gossip too)
The image of the ducks around the septic hole is so funny. That was the icing on the cake.
Thanks so much for posting. We all know you are busy with your presious and stinkies.

Blytheville, AR(Zone 7a)

Please don't stop with the stories--they are wonderful. You have the gift of storytelling that makes them both humorous and heartwarming. With photos to boot. I love hearing about all your little critters. SheVerne

Ohh, I like that term Precious Stinkies. That discribes just about everything in the house, including the husband!

Ok everybody, I need an HONEST opinion. Do you think there might be a book here? It could go a long way to help feed the animals and it's something I've thought about for quite awhile. And if I write it, does anyone know anyone (afriend of a friend of a friend of a third removed cousin) who could help me get it published?

Remember gang, HONEST opinion. You got nothing to gain my sucking up to me with flattery.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

YES - there is definately a book here! Or a couple of books - remember "All God's Creatures . . ." he got several books out of that. Sorry , I don't know anyone in publishing. :(

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Honestly, I think the antidotes would make a great book.
Raccoon in the bed, advice giving ducks, silent screams. You do have a nice way of telling a story. Do you keep a journal? I would start by writing down some of the stories so that you can organize them later.
Do not know any publishers. But I would buy a book about rehabbers revelations.

Lyndonville, NY

Honestly....I see two books. And Adult version...and a childs version.

Yep, I would buy it.

Great work you do all the way around.

Debbie

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh yes Jyl! A book is a great idea, I, too, love the way you talk about your rescued critters.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Absolutely! You have that gift of gab!

I'm so thankful for the pictures of Buckwheat. He's actually growing in to those ears!

Thanks you!

Blytheville, AR(Zone 7a)

Yes, you should write a book and we can say we knew you before you were famous. And I like the idea of a childs book and an adult version. Go for it!!! SheVerne

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

you're a natural born writer, that's for sure - go for it!! I am just loving your stories and your photos!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Glad to get an update on Buckwheat!!! I told you I had seen a doe with triplets. I got this picture a couple of weeks ago. The fawns had ventured over to our yard and mom was not to pleased! She had a hard time getting all 3 to follow her and leave.

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

I'd buy a book- the stories remind me of James Herriot's.

Thoes triplets are so amazing. What a treat to see.
We saw the doe with the bad leg with annother doe and her fawn the other day. There was also a young buck with them. I'm so glad. As long as the fawn is with others he will have support, if something happends to her.

Thanks for all the support about my writing. I have toyed with some childrens books for years, but never had the confidence or the knowledge of what to do next. Maybe this will help get me going!

Blytheville, AR(Zone 7a)

I'll buy one,put me down for a signed book. SheVerne

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

jyl, YES, I think two books, one adult and one childs would be a great idea. Sorry I can't help with publishing. Loved your story of the septic tank guy and ducklings.

Donna

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Your everyday life IS the makings of a wonderful book, for either child or adult. You will need plenty of photos to add to both books. I don't know any publishers but would be happy to buy several signed books for me and my family. You have a wonderful gift of gab that could make you lots of money toward your rehabbing. You can practice on us anytime you want. I truly enjoy all of the stories. You make it very easy to visualize the stories you share, but I must say that the photos are always a big bonus. Ya gotta come up with an easier to remember name though so we can all spread the word to our friends! HAHAHAHA

Janet

checkout local publishers. We had a neighbor that self published through a small publisher here in Indiana. She worked out a deal with local schools to have readings and signings at the schools where she donated a percentage of the sales back to the schools!

She wrote the story and her mom did the illustrations. It was written for preschool -1st grade kids. Called 'One Hundred Kisses' very repetitive counting story based on an incident with her daughter. It was really cute and of course we have an autographed copy!!!

(Cathy), MO

I just found this forum and it's great! I had to read it all the way through. And I agree with everyone else. You should definately do a book. You have a way with words that makes a person able to visualize exactly what you are describing. I would buy one!

I come from a family of artists. My mother paints with brushes. I try to paint with words.

(Cathy), MO

Good way of putting it. And you do it very well.

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

And artistic, you are! Please add my vote for a book.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

I just found this forum.. I can't believe how theraputic this is! Thank you for posting! My vote for a book, but don't stop here!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

She didn't stop there. The thread has been continued here, in case you didn't know.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/763129/

Tucson, AZ

I didn't know it had been continued over there either! Truely UniQue you are a treasure... thanks

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

You are quite welcome. I'm loving this thread also. :-)

Janet

Buckwheat is all grown up now. He only comes in for his bottle every other day or so. He weighs anout 80 to 85 pounds and is a magnificent button buck. Thankfully he stays within a couple of blocks of the house and even when I don't see him I know he's fairly close. Hopefully he will stay close through deer season. His neck is starting to swell and he will probably go into rut soon. Already he is scuffeling around with the other young bucks and you can see the scruff marks on his thick coat. He spend most of the day in the garden and yard today and just before dark he talked me inot annother bottle. I don't mind, I know it will help him stay warm tonight.

Each time Iam with whim now, it is bitter sweet as I know my time with him is limited. Soon he will go his own way and I will know my job is done. At least till next year.

Thumbnail by jylgaskin
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh Jyl,

He's grown up so much. He's absolutely beautiful. You've done a wonderful job of raising him. I hope he lives for a very long time. Thank you for posting the updated photo of him. He's found a special place in all of our hearts.

Janet

Tucson, AZ

Although he has grown he will always be your baby...our baby. :-)
Thanks for sharing Jyl and God Bless.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Sounds like he is doing well.
I have seen some very small fawns this year. A couple the size of my dog (lab) in height too. I bet they weigh 45-50 lbs. I see them eating every day and hope they gain enough for winter.

I have also seen a button buck that must come in at 150. He is larger than most of the does I have seen and the buttons are not very easily seen.

Bittersweet to see buckwheat grow, but nice to know that you helped him turn into a healthy adult.

jyl, thanks for the update! He is a very handsome young buck! It has to be sooo bittersweet for you. I don't think I could do what you do. I would not want to let go.

We have seen our doe with the twins several times the last few weeks. One of them is a young button buck.

In fac,t I was going to try to find this thread to ask you a question......When are the young bucks forced out to join the bachelor herd? This little guy is really very good size but I was wondering...... I know, I worry about these things way too much! lol

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Normally the doe when she is ready to breed pushes the young buck away. I have also read that they will kick them out of the territory to keep from inbreeding, but I don't know if that is true.
After breeding, the mother will hook back up with young females and the buttons go off to start rutting like the adult bucks.
If you see a lone doe, it is usually really a button buck this time of year.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

jyl, thanks for sharing Buckwheat with us. You've done a great job raising him, anfd I understand how you feel now.

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

He's a beautiful boy! I wish him many happy years to come :)

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

thanks for keeping us updated...he is beautiful...; very sad they have to be grownups and face the real world...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.