Wildlife: First Fawn of the rehab season, 1 by jylgaskin

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright jylgaskin

In reply to: First Fawn of the rehab season

Forum: Wildlife

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of First Fawn of the rehab season
jylgaskin wrote:
It's a good news, odd news and bad news day. Now that the fawn has settled down and is eating well, I took the time to examine it throughly and weigh it. The good news is that it has gained almost a pound in three days and you can no longer see ribs under the skin. The odd news is that I have to change it's name. It's not a doe as I first thought, it's a little buck. Not only does he have the bucks equipment, but he is also starting to get the two little dark spots on his head where his horns will be. He is starting to see me as "Mom" and jumps up to greet me whenever I come into his pen with the bottle. I'm hoping that tomorrow, if it's nice I'll let him out of the pen for awhile and get annother picture to post.

Todays bad news is that sometime, early this morning, the turkey decided to sleep on the goslings head and we lost him. It's hard enough in this job to loose amimals to injuries and such, but when it happens through stupid accidents, I always feel guilty and think I should have anticipated it. (I'm not sure what is dumber, a goose or a turkey)

I've posted a pic of the little sparrow that fell into someones salad plate at an outdoor cafe. His eyes were still closed and was what we call a UFO (unidentifiable fuzzy object). He's been here a little over a week and is thriving on soaked Beniful dog food.

If people are intrested, I'll keep up a rehab report on some of the animals that come through here this summer. (If not, I'll shut up)