Daily weather for MayII, PLAYTIME in the GARDEN!!!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

It looks as if the old thread is running a little long so lets begin anew as do our gardens.
I am in Dothan Alabaama, LOL and it's HOT!!
I'll be heading to Jacksonville later this week.
Please come by and post your pictures and weather often. Hoping both will be good.
This is a sunset I caught on the way here 3 weeks ago.
Sidney

This message was edited May 14, 2007 7:57 PM

Thumbnail by sugarweed
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

To anwser joey's quiz, it was Udal, KS.

Today it got into the low 80s. Had a nice breeze all day so while it was hot it wasn't as bad as it was over the weekend. Tomorrow 70s and rain. Whoo hoo!!!

(Zone 3b)

Sidney - love the sunset; as I'd mentioned on another thread, I'll not be up for sunset's for the next couple of months and so love seeing the photos.
It's very windy, cloudy and cold today. The sun was out briefly this morning, but no longer.
Sunset tonight: 10:39pm.
Pepper - sounds good for tomorrow..
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Evenin'! Kiska! That's that trout stream isn't it? It's still beautiful, even with the leaves off!
Pepper, You got it! Maybe I can find another one for you tomorrow! :D
Sidney! I love the sunset! WOW!! Is that an Alabama shot?

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Mornin'! The trivia of the day us...
Where would you most likely encounter air mass thunderstorms?
a) Washington
b) California
c) Maine
d) Florida
The temp is 52* & the highs are to be in the 80's with rain forcasted for tonight into tomorrow...

Have a Great Day! :D
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Good morning!!!

I was up at 5:00 am and it was 67* and thundering! I am hopelessly behind, but have accomplished a lot of outdoor jobs. My plant orders are just now coming and I think I'm ready.

Sugar, that is a beautiful sunset!

Kiska, your ''nights'' will be interesting to hear about. I could have used that 10:30 sunset more than a few times this month :)) That's a nice stream.

Joey, love the deep blue! I'll guess Florida.

I went from two separate beds....

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

To one!

Thumbnail by billyporter
(Zone 3b)

I'll guess Washington, Joey.
41*F. 7am. Sunrise was 5:10am, Sets tonight at 10:42pm. The lingering light continues for a long time. No wind yet this morning, scattered clouds,
High today will be 56*.
The Little Su has salmon, but we've never fished there, and not sure if there are trout. Looks like a good stream, though. This area is very near the headwaters of the Little Su; further down, as it widens and deepens, it remains a pretty river.
Pepper23 - I love the change in the flower beds. As the nights remain light for longer and longer, we find dinner getting later and later; kids play out till way past bedtimes, and everyday life kinda gets out of kilter. The mind says, "it's still daytime", the body disagrees and says it's bedtime. It's an awesome time to experience.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Washington was my second guess.

Kiska, are your streams spring fed or mountain run-off? Do they get deeper at different times of the year? I love rocks. If I was there, there wouldn't be many rocks left to photograph :))

We didn't get a lot of rain yet, but it has cooled down. The mosquitos aren't bad yet either but the swarming gnats are here. The bufffalo gnats will be next. I hate them!!!!

(Zone 3b)

bp - a buffalo gnat sounds fierce - we don't have gnats yet, and mosquitoes are just getting started.
Most streams are run-off; snow. The Matanuska and Knik rivers here in the valley, are glacier fed. They will get quite high and wild as the melting gets underway. By July, they're quite sizeable. We do get a lot of rain in the summer, too.
Kiska

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

That would make mountain living worth it for me. I love water!

Kernville, CA

Hi Everyone!

If it gets any warmer, it will be too hot!
It has been hectic the past week. My nieghbor caused a wildfire Saturday. Fortunately for me he is 1/2 a mile across the river, with the wind driving it north. He has land with a lot of hot springs; its called Bath House Canyon. He was remodeling a house built in the 60's, and an electrical problem caused the fire. I reported the fire when it was small, but it got out of control fast. Two helicopters and two bombers were on it right away, so they had it out in 4 hours. I could see the ground crews with their night lights on top of the mountains. Some sheds were burned, but no other houses.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Expanded Observations Tue, 15 May 2007 19:54:00 GMT (3:54 PM ET)
Reporting Station KROA
Weather/Sky Scattered Clouds
Temperature (°F) / (°C) 86 / 30
Dewpoint (°F) / (°C) 53 / 12
Relative Humidity 32 %
Wind (mph) SSW 14
Gusts (mph) 21
Visibility (miles) 10
Ceiling (feet) Unl
Heat Index (°F) / (°C) 84 / 29
Wind Chill (°F) / (°C) 86 / 30
Barometric Pressure (inches) 30.06 and Tendency N/A
6hr Min Temp (recorded 00-6,6-12,12-18 or 18-00 UTC/Z) 62 (°F)
6hr Max Temp (recorded 00-6,6-12,12-18 or 18-00 UTC/Z) 85 (°F)
Yesterday's Low Temp 43 (°F)
Yesterday's High Temp 75 (°F)

Nice day!

Kernville, CA

BEE REPORT: Two of the bee hives are not active, but the original one at the garden is still active, though not as busy.

Pepper: thanks for telling me that you have some bumbles. Glad you're on a hill above the flooding.
Deb: thanks for the lots of bumble bees report. The walking iris is neat; I've never heard of or seen one.
E_B: your daughter is so beautiful
Rann: looks like the bumble bees are not bothered by the plight. How does that song contest work?
Kiska: How do you make syrup out of roses? Why were you devastated at the move? you may dmail me, if you like. I've had tis property for 20 years, and thought, "I cannot live in that remote place full time." I've lived here for 10 years, and now say, "its too populated here". And I am amongst the nature most of the time, which is very enjoyable, and WA. has more.
Sharon: thanks
Kelli: yeah - there is that part of Wasington that is desert-like. I won't live there. I am going north of there where it is like here: called Semi-Arid Grassland with Western Coniferous Woodland at the higher elevations.
Henry: yeah - I have to do more checks on the cool and dreary, so far so good. I'll have to see where the San Jauns are.
Joey: thanks

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Helluu!! Well Sally, You get the Prize! :D Sorry, Kiska...

Sally, your beds look like they will be very Nice !
Kiska, Looks like a really good fishing stream for anything in the salmonid family.;)

I have a pic of that "almost" black iris...it opened up last night while I was trying to sleep. The pollen here is so bad you can see it falling. My sinuses are giving me fits! I washed my car late Saturday & by early Sunday morning it was covered. Can you see the pollen on this iris?

Later! :D

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Well no frosts - it fact it was 93 degrees on the town square today. Windy, farmers are planting corn and the ground is so dry it creates hugh dust clouds across the roads and properties. Sure hope it rains in the next couple of days to sprout it for them. We have had 0.16 in since April 25. Pollen, dust and dandelion seeds fill the air and breezes, yet it is not unpleasant when you stop sneezing. LOL

We are 'supposed' to get a thundershower on Wednesday as a new front moves down from Michigan.

Rain off and on and we had a high of 63 or so. When the cold front moved thru all of the guys got out their jackets cause they were freezing. LOL. I just kept my hoodie on and was ok all day. Wet all day but not cold all day. All in all great weather. Am loving it!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

What a beautiful iris, Joey!! I've never seen one so dark.

It was a beautiful day today when we could stop slapping mosquitoes long enough to notice. We had over 4 inches of rain last week, and the mosquitoes have started to hatch in the millions. Yuck. We have company coming tomorrow, so of course it is going to rain again. (rolling eyes..) We are hoping the rain decides to skip us so we can take the cousin bunnies to a fun restaurant nearby with a petting farm and lots of room to play. After being on an airplane all day, we suspect they will appreciate it! Or at least their mother will. LOL If that doesn't work, we'll just get some take-out Mexican and eat here I suspect. :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 8:53pm CDT (55 min ago)
Temperature 79 °F 26 °C
Dew Point 68 °F 20 °C
Humidity 69%
Pressure 30.03 in 1017 mb
Wind Speed 8 MPH 7 kts
Wind Dir SSW 200°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 82 °F 28 °C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53pm CDT : 81.0°F / 27.2°C

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Mornin'! :D It's an overcast mornin' at 58* & it's only gonna get up into the 60's with rain this afternoon.

Thanx Marylyn, this iris is one I got from my cousin last fall & I'm really tickled with it. I have never seen one that dark & the beard is the same color!

More trivia - What is a common term giving to supercell radar signature?
a) Kidney Bean
b) Hook Echo
c) The Big Guy
d) RV-32

Se_eds, Our weather forecast sounds much thte same as yours...
Pepper, I'm glad that you're having much nicer weather! :D

Have a Great Day! :D
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

It' either Hook echo-though I think that's tornado sigs- or RV-32.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

My guess was RV-32, but I was wrong...It's Hook Echo!

Joey

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi everyone! We made it back to Paradise yesterday - exhausted. We got a lot of family visiting in in a short period of time. I’m worn out, but now I must tidy the house, do the laundry, etc. :P It wasn’t supposed to get cold, but it did. So I spent most of the trip in a borrowed jacket and new jeans!

We did manage to do some sightseeing. I went to Raccoon State Park and walked the Wild Flower Trail. Very pretty and, of course, I took a million pictures! I won’t bore y’all with all of them!

There are so many great pictures posted! Looks like everyone had a great weekend. Kiska – Nice to “see” you and your DH! I know you are thrilled to see the snow melt and see that lovely green popping out!
Sidney – Beautiful sunset. So glad you’ll make it home this week. I know you are looking forward to getting some rest.
Sally – Your garden looks great! I can’t wait to see all your new plants. “Buffalo gnat”? That sounds scary! Do you have to wear helmets when they show up?!! I just told my DH about the BG’s – he cracked up then started flapping his arms and blowing raspberries! "coming in for a landing - watch out" blllleeeepphhh!! He's a goofball!
Tigpie – So glad the wildfire was put out quickly. Your neighbor is very lucky you saw the fire.
Joey – your iris is gorgeous. I’ve never seen one that color.
Pepper – Your iris is gorgeous too! How is the flooding in your area? I’ve been out of touch the last couple of days!

63.7 °F / 17.6 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 75%
Dew Point: 56 °F / 13 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 2000 ft / 609 m
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft / 7620 m

Today
Partly cloudy. High 82 coast. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

We're supposed to get some rain tomorrow - I really hope we do.

My SIL's property - she lives in Clinton, PA

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone !

It started out cloudy this morning and rained a bit, but now the sun's out so I'm heading out too ;-) The temp is 51°F and there's just a light breeze - very nice :-) Sunrise was at 4:10 and sunset will be at 10:38 pm. It's the same here as Kiska described with the bright evenings - get's really hard to stay on "schedule" - can't wait for the schools to be out ;-)

Tigpie - glad they managed to put those fires out!
The song contest works like this: Each country submits an original song that hasn't been published before - this year there were 42 entries. Since that would make a very long evening - there is a semi-final and the top 10 songs go on to the final; the countries that made the top 10 places in last year's final go straight to the final this year and then there are 4 countries that have a permanent spot on the final (UK, Spain, France and Germany) so there are 24 entries in the final. The winning song is selected by televoting. The country that wins hosts next year's contest - Finland won last year so this year the contest was held in Helsinki. There is talk of changes since the western-european countries are a bit bummed out about being stuck in the semi-final year after year ........ not sure what changes will be made though - there is talk of 2 semi-finals instead of one. The idea is to bring the countries of Europe together for one evening at least - the first contest was held in 1956 so it's been around for a long time :-)

Kiska - beautiful photos of the stream :-)

Joey - gorgeous irises!

Sally - your flower beds are looking good :-)

Marylyn - sounds like a fun plan for the visiting cousin bunnies :-)

Have a great day!

Rannveig

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 3b)

8am. 44*F - Sunrise 5:08am Sunset 10:44pm
It's a sunny morning; no wind; overcast dark clouds forming behind the mts.
Welcome back Sharon. What a beautiful area you visited...but, always good to be home.
Joey, the flowers are so pretty - sounds like Trout lodge might have a new employee? Garrett?
Last night's baseball game; 8:30pm. There are 4 fields at the complex; this is not the one my 7 y/old played on; this just has the better view.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

Rann - that's a very interesting contest and has certainly been going on for quite a while. When is school out? May 23rd here.
Grandson's first "at bat" as the season started last night.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Tigpie, that is more excitement than I would want! Good for you for catching the fire so soon!!

Dyson, we have been windy too. I'm always amazed at the simularities all over the state :))

Tigpie, I've been seeing honey bees here and a few bumble bees. The honeys drink from the birdbaths. I'm happy to see each one!

Thank You Joey! I've been hard at work every day! I love that iris!! The pollen is unreal tho!

Seeds, that is HOT! We were hot Monday.

Pepper, you are so ''cool'' :)) Couldn't resist the snicker :))

Marylyn, the rain is fun when it's falling, and then you remember it will bring mosquitos. We have been so lucky to have most of our water soak in and only have a few. The winds help. Petting zoos are ok if they leave out the goats that knock kids down :((

Joey, what is the name of that next gorgeous iris?

Sharon, you didn't get a million seeds? :)) Your hubby : o~. Them buffalos raise a puffy welt!!! Especially around the eyes. Funny, Pennsylvania just sounds like it's mostly green! Lovely!

Rann, the song contest sounds like a neat idea! Love the orange in your daffodils!

Kiska, smiling over the better view :)) What a great action shot!!

I dumped .3'' of rain from yesterday. I wish it was more. I washed windows for an elderly woman this morn and was going to mow, but DH sprayed for weeds.

It's barely 70*. Dyson windy :)) and chilly. We are getting tar and gravel on our street today so it's a good day to stay in!!

I decided to put in black edging around the gardens so I don't have to cut them every year. Retired DH helped put it in after I dug the trenches :))

Thumbnail by billyporter

It got to 69* today. Very,very niiiiiice!!! LOL. Flooding is mostly gone in most places.

The rivers are still high though so there are still warnings and watches out in some places in the state. I read today that in Saline County (not my county) the 80% of the roads are so damaged that they could close the roads but they don't have enough barricades and people need to get to and from their homes and jobs.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Hello all! I've been absent for a couple of days. Working too hard. Haven't had time to read all the way through yet.
Another sunny, warm, and breezy day.
Here's the first little Johnny Jump-up who appeared today. :)
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Hi! :D
We finally got our much needed rain! :D It all soaked right in. Probabaly lasted for about 2 hours (or more) ~ a good soaker. Hopefully this will settle the pollen down a bit.
Thanx, Kiska, Sally, Rann, Sharon!
Sharon, glad you're finally back & glad that you enjoyed your "chilly" trip. :D
Kiska, those little fellows look like they are having a really good time...I can remember when...they do grow up fast! Yes, Garrett is one of the new summer workers ~ as a carpenter.
Sally, I am ashamed! I can't remember the name...a very sweet lady from DG's sent it to me last year & I was very careful to place the name (she had sent with it) beside it. But DB's puppy (at the time) ran off with the tag. I had to actually put a resin table over top of it because Callie wanted to get up into the flower bed where I had planted my new irises. That is one massive garden! You are going to spend all of you time tending that one! :D
Pepper, take care on tose roads!

Have a good evening!

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Pa. is very green this time of the year. Rained today - 0.16". We were glad for it. Spring flowers are starting, weather temps dropped to low 60's due to Northern font moving in. My seedling columbines are starting to bloom

Thumbnail by se_eds
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Daylily companion plants are blooming too. Here are coral bells hybrid and Johnny Jump Ups (violas)

Thumbnail by se_eds
(Zone 3b)

8pm; rains have stopped but there are high clouds. It's 49*F.
Sunset is at 10:44pm this evening.
BP - the edging looks good around the edges. It's fun to garden "watch" from afar and look forward to seeing it grow.
Deb - Such a cute little flower - we have them too, in a week or so I hope. We call them violas and are the very first to come up.
pepper23 - glad to hear that the flooding is going down. Must have been bad in some areas.
Joey - the game was fun to watch - those little kids really get into the game. Good for Garrett w/job.
se_eds; certainly sounds pretty there in PA. I love your columbine and violas, too.
Knik Glacier at base of mt.; from a few weeks ago - still no green fields so it looks the same now. As seen from the Palmer airport.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning Everyone! Well, it's Dyson Dark & a cool 46*! They said that it would cool off, but really! We're supposed to get some scattered showers this afternoon, with highs in the low 60"s.
Why are back-building thunderstorms dangerous?
a) Flooding
b) Hail
c) Lightning
d) Wind
I hope you all don't mind that I am sticking this trivia in here, but the TV weather guy has been sending it to me & I thouhgt that it would be fun. :)

Kiska, hang in there ~ I know you will be getting some of the green soon!
Se_eds, great shots of somepretty neat flowers....3 of my faves. I have the little wild violas everywhere & my campion is blooming, too.

Kelli? Are you OK?

Gotta "run" :D
Have a great day! :D
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Reporting Station: KROA
Dew Point: 38°
Relative Humidity: 63%
Wind: 270° (W) at 7mph
Gusts: 0mph
Visibility: 10mi
Ceiling: Unlimited
Heat Index: 50°
Wind Chill: 47°
Pressure: 30.06in

current temp 50° (F)

Overcast, but the sky is getting brighter again.

Rann – Sounds like you had a nice day! I love your daffs!
Kiska – What a backdrop for a baseball field! Nice! I love the name “Bionic Chiropractic”. You always have such amazing pictures!
Sally – No seeds (and I was afraid I would get busted trying to sneak some out)! I doubt they would grow here since it stays hot for so long, but such pretty little wildflowers. I did get to see my first Jack in the Pulpit.
Deb – I’ve never heard viola’s called such a cute name!
Se_eds – I fell in love with the country area of PA. It’s the first time I got to really take some time to explore.
Joey – I’m thinking the “wind” – isn’t there a threat of tornadoes when they occur? I don’t know about everyone one else, but I’m enjoying the quizzes!68.4 °F / 20 °C
Overcast
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 63 °F / 17 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 29.91 in / 1012.8 hPa (Falling)
Visibility: 9.0 miles / 14.5 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Overcast 20000 ft / 6096 m

Today
Mostly cloudy with scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms in the morning...then partly cloudy with scattered showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Areas of smoke through the day. High 81 coast. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the northeast in the afternoon. Chance of rain 50 percent.

We've got smoke in the air this morning. I really hope the rain makes it to help put out the fires. "The fire has burned a total of 259,853 acres in two states (119,501 acres in Florida and 140,352 acres in Georgia)."

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/topstories/news-article.aspx?storyid=82165

SIL's horses

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 3b)

44*F, 7am, Sunrise was 5:05. Sunset: 10:47pm. Overcast. Highs to the 50's.
Sharon - thanks; I just noticed too, that in the photo, my oldest gchild is in the background; in the dark sweatshirt. His little brother is the baseball player.
I sure hope the rain will help clear the air there. The horses are beautiful.
Joey - "Hail". Been fun watching the iris open..have a great day.
Dyson - good seeing the sky will be getting brighter there :))
Anchorage; charity fundraiser "Airplane Pull" contest last weekend. Teams pull the plane 12'; fastest time wins. SIL's team placed 8th.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Great pics ! Pansies still blooming here ! Very hot,a little bit chilly today,but still 90 at noon.

Thanksfor the answer,E_B.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Sidney - You might want to stay in Alabama for a little while longer...

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/news-article.aspx?storyid=82292

It's smoky out there

Thumbnail by MySharona
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Hi! :D
Well, Kiska ~ no to the "hail" and I'm glad that you're enjoying the irises. I have to take somemore pix in a minute...they seem to be trying to bloom all at once! :D The "plane-pulling" looks like it could be "gut-wrenching". (I know, bad choice of words) But it's for a good cause!
Sharon, No to the "wind" and I'm glad you like the Quizzies! :D And your SIL has some pretty contented horses ~ they look most happy in PA.
Adina, those are some really pretty yellow violas. WOW

Well, need to go take some pix...
Have a great evening! Oh! ... the ans. is flooding.

Thumbnail by music2keep
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Joey, yeah, I'm o.k., just haven't had anything to noteworthy to report. But thanks for asking. And yes, an epiphyllum is a forest cactus. It's sort of like a Christmas cactus on steroids. ;-)

The mornings this week have started out cloudy. That is pretty typical of this time of year. We always get our "May grey" and "June gloom" before the heat really kicks in in July. Regardless of the dismal names, I don't mind those days at all. Maybe it's gloomy on the other side of the Santa Monica Mountains where it might stay cloudy all day, but here on the inland side, the clouds usually burn off by noon.

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on May 17, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
78 °F / 26 °C
Clear
Humidity: 43%
Dew Point: 54 °F / 12 °C
Wind: 9 mph / 15 km/h / 4.1 m/s from the SE

Still some wildflowers to be seen in the Santa Monica Mountains. Even in a bad rain year there is still something. This is foothill penstemon.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.