Daily weather for MayII, PLAYTIME in the GARDEN!!!

(Zone 3b)

53*F, 11:30am, very nice out w/bit of a breeze. Sure is good to be back online; didn't realize how much being able to be in touch means till I "couldn't).
Sunrise: 4:56am Sunset: 10:57pm. Gotta love these long days:))
Rann - nice "sunset" sky and flowers/yard, too.
Sidney - glad you're back and even with dealing w/city, must be nice to be home again.
MySharona - the motorcyclists are out in force here, too. The riding season is short, so they take advantage of it. Smoke clearing? to be replaced w/fog? Love the snapdragons.
Henryr1 -nothing like an event, to get things going - but- moving all that soil sounds like a daunting job. So glad most of the plants/trees survived the cold snap.
Deb - love that deep blue-purple color, very pretty.
se_eds- nice columbine, too.
Dyson - glad you're doing better and hopefully these bright sunny days will help:))
looks like this at 10:30pm now; no need to take another, just change the time.
Byers Peak/next to Lazy Mt.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Planting 300 plants? Goodness! It would take me weeks to do that.

It has been cloudy all day. I don't mind. Every day like this is one less that it is 100F. And 70% humidity - my skin says, "Wow!"

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on May 21, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
62 °F / 17 °C
Overcast
Humidity: 70%
Dew Point: 52 °F / 11 °C
Wind: 5 mph / 7 km/h / 2.1 m/s Variable

How about just a random picture?

Thumbnail by Kelli
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Sidney – Welcome Back!! Wow - 300 Plants??! Jeff said your van probably looked like a Chia Pet driving through town! All leaves, stems and flowers hanging out the windows!
Kiska – Another lovely picture!
Kelli – 62°? “Wow” is what my skin would be saying too!! Great picture!

78.3 °F / 25 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 40%
Dew Point: 50 °F / 10 °C
Wind: 2.0 mph / 3 km/h from the East
Wind Gust: 6.3 mph / 10 km/h
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 80 °F / 26 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 5500 ft / 1676 m
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft / 7620 m

Tonight
Mostly clear. Low 61 coast. East winds 5 to 10 mph.

Our high this morning was 80. It got up to 85 - I just can't wait until Summer really gets here. (ummm yes that was pure sarcasm) :P

Taken yesterday morning.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Sidney not to worry.
Some of it drooped into the little pond.
If that roots I'll send it down.
W/ as many plants as you sent down South I'm amazed you only lost a couple.
Good Job!

Ric

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

It got into the high 70s maybe low 80s and was very windy in the afternoon. All in all not bad.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Good to have you back home, Sidney. Bummer abt. Frank, Hope you keep the dog. LOLLOL. Our weather is gradually warming up. It is 64 degrees, had a cloudy day, slight breeze but still no rain.

A new clematis plant bloomed today. This is 'The President"

Thumbnail by se_eds

I have 2 blooms on my purple clematis. It started out with one, it died and now I have 2!! I will try to download a pic and name tomorrow.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Oh wow Seeds, thats some clemantis there.
While at a nursery outside Dothan, Al. I found some silver pots all stacked tight togeather. Well there were many pots at this place of varying clays and cement. Those were all very hot to the touch, but the silver were cool. I thought "Clemantis"!!!
They like their roots cool, and I believe these silver pots will keep them cooler than my hot sand, although I do plant the roots in the shade. I will keep you posted on the silver. I will definenately be looking for silver car next time I buy.
I got one corner sorta cleared this afternoon. Nice breeze to work by.
70.0 °F / 21.1 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 33%
Dew Point: 40 °F / 4 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 2.7 mph / 4 km/h
Sidney

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Rained last night - now it is just dark.

Se_eds - That's a beauty of a clematis!
Dyson - Send us some of that rain!

69.3 °F / 20 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 62%
Dew Point: 54 °F / 12 °C
Wind: 2.0 mph / 3 km/h from the ESE
Wind Gust: 7.8 mph / 12 km/h
Pressure: 30.12 in / 1019.9 hPa (Steady)
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 2000 ft / 609 m

Today
Mostly sunny. Breezy. High 81 (bet it will be higher). East winds 15 to 20 mph.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I love all of your pictures!!

We woke up to thunder this morning... I woke up to thunder 8 years ago today, too, on our wedding morning. :-) Unfortunately this morning it also woke up the bunnies, and the big bunny says her tummy hurts. I hope she isn't sick.

Hopefully some of this rain will make it east to those of you who need it!!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 8:31am CDT (17 min ago)
Temperature 64 °F 18 °C
Dew Point 62 °F 17 °C
Humidity 94%
Pressure 29.94 in 1014 mb
Wind Speed 3 MPH 3 kts
Wind Dir Variable Variable
Ceiling 2100 ft 640 m
Visibility 6 mi 9.7 km
Current Conditions Thunderstorm,Rain, Mist
Remarks 0.10" of precipitation last hour.
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 68.0°F / 20.0°C

(Zone 3b)

7:30am; 42*F, mostly cloudy. Sunrise 4:54am, Sunset 10:59 pm.
Happy Anniversary, Marylyn. Hope the day will be wonderful and that "bigger bunny" isn't getting sick.
Sidney - bet the breeze does feel great while out doing the gardening.
Dyson - doing better today? Did it get light out? wish I could send some from here.
Kelli - that's a fantastic random photo; must have been a great place to visit.
MySharona - yes, got the sarcasm; we might not have the Summer heat, but we've sure got the Summer light. Love your blossom.
se_eds; Just beautiful. Gorgeous color.
pepper - does it get windy a lot there?
9:30 p.m. last night...not a good photo, just a snapshot of the front/house.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Kiska, after being drug all through the South for 30 years I can say it's actually cooler here than most places like N.C., S.C., Al., Ms., and Ga. This is because the gulf breeze blows across the pennisula of Florida.
Now it's
81.1 °F / 27.3 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 20%
Dew Point: 36 °F / 2 °C
Wind: 3.6 mph / 5 km/h from the ESE
Wind Gust: 12.3 mph / 19 km/h
Sidney

(Zone 3b)

sugarweed - I just never thought it could be cooler there - once again, DG/friend has caused me to think about places a bit differently. The term, gulf breeze sounds great.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thank you, kiska! She's sick.. Temp of 101° and has to keep running to the potty, poor bunny. It's just as well we couldn't find a babysitter for tonight.

Dothan,, AL(Zone 8a)

Sugarweed it is May 22 and it is still hot and even more dry in Dothan, Alabama. I live here. Winds are 5-10 miles an hour. Heaven help us if fires get started here like in Georgia and Florida.

Marylyn – Happy Anniversary!! oooooh thunder – did you get rain? I’m so envious!! I hope your bunny is feeling better. Everybody here had a stomach virus yesterday. It was bad.
Kiska- Isn’t it nice to see your house without snow and ice all over it?!!! I think it’s a great picture – look at all that green you’ve got now!
Mimidi – I hope you get rain too. It’s bad out here.
82.2 °F / 27 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 34%
Dew Point: 50 °F / 10 °C
Wind: 4.0 mph / 6 km/h from the ESE
Wind Gust: 7.8 mph / 12 km/h
Pressure: 30.15 in / 1020.9 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 81 °F / 27 °C
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 4300 ft / 1310 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Tonight
Mostly clear. Low 65 coast. East winds 5 to 10 mph.

I have 'maters!!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Few Clouds
77°

Feels Like
79°

Reporting Station: KROA
Dew Point: 60°
Relative Humidity: 56%
Wind: 110° (ESE) at 11mph
Gusts: 0mph
Visibility: 10mi
Ceiling: Unlimited
Heat Index: 77°
Wind Chill: 77°
Pressure: 30.27in

Bright, clear BLU skies.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

My word kiska there was a house behind all that snow!!!
And a loverly place it is!
18 hours of sun already! WOW!

Ric

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I have tomato plants - NO tomatoes. LOL It is so dry here I can't plant out any annuals. No rain since April 25 except for two showers that totaled less than 1/3 inch.

But it is Beautiful!!! Temps in the 70's, light breezes, sunshine and clouds, perfect vacation weather - and no fires or other catastrophes. We are blessed with perfect vacation/picnic weather.
(I'd Still like some rain.LOL)

(Zone 3b)

'evening all - almost time to go to gson's pre-school "grad"...it's going to be cute.
Sunny, windy, overcast all at the same time.
ric - thanks, nice change of scenery, at least for us.
MySharona - looks like there's good eats in the future for you.
Green is the color of the season now, and none too soon.
se_eds - it does sound like vacation time. Come Friday, my husband is retiring and we'll be on vacation time from here on out.
Mimidi - hope you'll get a nice change in the weather and put the fire danger to rest.
Marylyn - how's the sick big bunny? better?
Dyson - love to read about bright BLU...
A friend took this of a few of my gkids. Don't know how to redo the the copyright info.
Kiska
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Kiska, they told us back in elementary school that in Alaska, the vegetables get really big because there are so many hours of daylight in the summer. Is that true?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Kiska, The sick bunny is better, thanks to some Immodium AD and Motrin for her fever. She was back to bouncing by bedtime. Hopefully she will sleep, too! Thanks for asking. :-) What fun things do you have planned for retirement?

(Zone 3b)

Kelli - yes, it's a fantastic sight in late August when the vegetables are shown at the Alaska State Fair, here in Palmer. The long daylight hours are perfect for the cool weather crops grown here. Cabbages are really sweet and mild, even as they tip the scales at 50# and more.
Marylyn_TX - that's good; don't you just feel awful too, when kids are sick.
For this summer, we're taking the time to take day trips that we've never had time for in the summer, as it's either, do the outdoor projects on the weekends, or go somewhere, and projects have taken precedence till now. Summer is very short and lots to be done, so now, we'll have time for much more.
We'll take the train from Anchorage to Whittier, and from there a 26 Glacier Cruise on June 12.
Then, in August, we'll take the train to Seward and go on a dinner cruise of Ressurection Bay.. I just love the Alaska Railroad and the packages they put together. Seeing the glaciers/eagles/sea life and being on the water is so nice and a great change of pace. The train goes along Turnagain Arm, next to the water, and then, up into the Chugach Mt passes and it's a whole new view...Nothing like it and I never tire of those trips. My wish would be that everyone could see this part of the world at some time.
Sunset tonight: 10:59..Length of Visible Light: 21 hours, 01min...tomorrow will be a gain of more than 4 minutes.
old (July) view from Mud Lake, about 3 miles from home.
Kiska

This message was edited May 22, 2007 10:13 PM

Thumbnail by kiska
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Mornin! All! :D It's quite warm! It's 62*! and Dyson Dark. :D This temp is like an August morning!
Kiska, What a gorgeous pic! I know that you 2 will really enjoy yourselves! as you do things together.
Marylyn, glad the little "bunny" is feeling better! I agree with kiska....I would rather be sick, than have the kiddies sick and suffering.
Sharon...Glad you have "maters"! :D There's nothing better than fresh picked!
Mimidi, I hope that the winds die and you get some rain! I hope that you stay safe.

Some more trivia quizzies...
What Texas community was leveled by two F-5 tornadoes, on April 3, 1964 and April 10, 1979:

a) Amarillo

b) Dallas

c) Wichita Falls

d) El Paso

Have a great day ! all!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

Se_eds – Sounds like a great time of year for you!
Kiska – Sounds like you’ve got a full summer ahead of you! I know you will enjoy reconnecting with your DH during his retirement. A 50# cabbage?!! You could eat off that for a month! I looked at the picture of Mud lake and thought WOW! It’s gorgeous!
Joey – If I remember my history correctly I think it was Wichita Falls. Pretty fern!

Edited to add the weather!

71.6 °F / 22.0 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 74%
Dew Point: 63 °F / 17 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 3.1 mph / 5.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.18 in / 1021.9 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 74 °F / 23 °C
Visibility: 9.0 miles / 14.5 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 3300 ft / 1005 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Lake Wind Advisory in effect from 11 am this morning to 7 PM EDT this evening...
Today
Partly cloudy and windy. High 79 (bet it will really be around 83). East winds 20 to 25 mph with gusts to 30 mph.

For some reason our projected high has been about 5° higher this past week. It's been hot.

This message was edited May 23, 2007 7:14 AM

Thumbnail by MySharona

Rain, rain, rain today. Temps going to be in low 70s.

I think it was Wichita Falls also.

(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone - great photos! and thanks for your compliments :-)

Kiska - your July photo is especially gorgeous

Kelli - great photo of you there - isn't that the Notre Dame in Paris??

Ric - glad the frost damage was minor - your new bed is looking good!

Marylyn - a beleated happy anniversary to you and hope your bunny's feeling better! :-)

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with this picture? It was taken on Monday morning .....

Today's weather:
Sunny with rain showers, 46°F and light breeze. Still waiting to get into the 50's ...... Sunrise was at 3:48 am and sunset will be at 11:01 pm :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig

Rann - You're flooded...what happened?
It's sprinkling here and has been off and on for a couple of hours. Nothing major, but gosh itsure looks wonderful out there! I never thought I'd say that about gray skies and sprinkles!

And I hear some thunder in the distance! Wow...

This message was edited May 23, 2007 11:26 AM

(Zone 3b)

8am and alreay 51*:
I think it's snow Rann has:)) Sorry about that, Rann; just when you thought it was over.
Sunrise: 4:52am; Sunset: 11:01pm.
thank/photo; the overlook is a special place.
MySharona - the pasture/trees and flowers is wonderful.
pepper - a rainy day in store for you sounds like.
music2keep, The ferns are so pretty and green. Bet you're enjoying getting out to replace some of your photos.
King Crab at the Sea Life Center in Seward.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

LOL!!! Optical illusion for me! I can't believe you're getting snow this late in the season. Is that normal?

(Zone 5a)

Yeb - Kiska you're right :-) lol That is one BIG crab! Cute GD :-)
Sharon - it's not common to see snow at this time of year - don't remember it actually but it beats late frosts though. We got a really bad frosty spell in late May last year that did a lot of damage so I'd take this over that anyday! We couldn't believe our eyes on sunday night when it started snowing - really big fluffy snowflakes! It didn't stick for long, but on Monday morning there were snow flurries and hail showers on and off until noon that turned things white for a bit. People who got up early on Monday morning even had to get the windshieldscrapers out again! Fortunately the plants were totally unaffected other than they're not growing very fast at the moment ;-) I would really like to get out of these 40's temps though - I'm ready for 50's temps already ;-) lol We saw a slogan from an ice-cream company the other day that really sums up an Icelandic summer : "Summer is a state of mind" lol

I'll say Wichita Falls. I know it isn't El Paso. DH or MIL would have told me about that.

Great mountain picture, Kiska. It's as if the places with the most severe climates were given and extra measure of beauty to make up for it.

Rann, yes, that is the Notre Dame cathedral.

I'm glad the bunny is feeling better. I think those kind of ailments make a person feel worse than anything else. I remember one time getting sick like that in the car after drinking bad water and laying in the back seat and thinking, "If we get into an accident, I'm just going to have to lay here and die because there is no way I can get out under my own power."

Are there still so many fires burning in FL and GA? I seem to have come down with bronchitis, so I'm glad there are no fires around here.

According to our neighbor, that freeze we had in January was the coldest she has seen in the 42 years that she has lived on this street.

The grapefruits are ripe and they're really good. I wish I could give you each one. Maybe some day there will be a way to "beam" stuff via computer like on Star Trek. You never know.

Sunny and nice out this morning

Updated: 8:51 AM PDT on May 23, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
62 °F / 17 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 67%
Dew Point: 51 °F / 11 °C
Wind: Calm

Some kind of prickly pear cactus. We've got them planted in front of the house in an effort to give the place an Old California look.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Well I graduated from Amarillo High School in 1964, so it wasn't there. El Paso is built mostly on the east side of the Franklin Mts, (also the south tip of the Rockies) so they never have tornados. Tornados don't 'do' mountains. I actually have a vaccum hose on the table top theory about tornados. When you move the vaccum hose to the edge of the table it comes up almost automatically. I believe tornados work the same way.
I think Witchita Falls is the correct answer Joey.
Here in Jax;
80.6 °F / 27.0 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 28%
Dew Point: 44 °F / 7 °C
Wind: 7.6 mph / 12 km/h from the ESE
Wind Gust: 10.5 mph / 16 km/h
Pressure: 30.18 in / 1021.9 hPa (Falling)
Here's our friend Ric in his play ground. He and Robyn have the neatest place and they also do the most terrific 'use what you have' construction.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Happy Anniversary,Marylyn ! Is your big bunny feeling better ?

Kelli,thanks for sharing the Notre Dame Cathedral picture with us !

Kiska,love your GD and the crab!

It has been raining in Romania for the last few days,almost all day long,with short breaks of sun.
I took this last evening.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thank you, everyone! We had a good anniversary, except for the poor bunny being sick. She is much better today and so far none of us have caught it, which is a great blessing. :-)

Adina, that picture is just gorgeous.

Kiska, Wow! What a crab! Your granddaughter is both adorable and brave to stand there and pose. :-) Your travel plans sound like SO much fun!!!

Hi, Ric!! How nice to see your face. :-) What flower is he pointing to, Sidney?

Kelli, I'm not sure Notre Dame counts as "just" a random picture. LOL! It's beautiful. :-)

I just found out my DH has a job interview tomorrow... I was expecting the interview to come next week, so I just took his suit to the cleaners - and it won't be back in time. Oh, well.. :-/ Fortunately the interviewer knows Charles and knows that he is going back to his current job right after the interview, so isn't likely to hold the not-quite-so-formal slacks and polo shirt attire against him. It would be so awesome if he gets this job! Sad, though.. Charles has been working for his present company for 21 years and he really loves his boss and the work he does there. But it's in a dying industry and the company doesn't pay well at all. The new job would allow us to pay off all of our debts in 2 or 3 years and be MUCH less stressed. Charles is very well-qualified for the position at the new job, too,and the boss would be Charles' brother-in-law, who is a super guy. :-)

I'd better go see what the bunnies are getting into.. It's awfully quiet in the living room right now. LOL

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 2:53pm CDT (62 min ago)
Temperature 84 °F 29 °C
Dew Point 70 °F 21 °C
Humidity 62%
Pressure 30.01 in 1016.3 mb
Wind Speed 16 MPH
G 22 14 kts
G 19
Wind Dir SE 130°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 89 °F 32 °C
Current Conditions Few Clouds
Remarks 6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 73.9°F / 23.3°C

It's been sprinkling off and on all day, and it looks like more rain is going to be moving into the area later tonight.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

77°
Broken Clouds
Feels Like
79°

Reporting Station: KROA
Dew Point: 58°
Relative Humidity: 52%
Wind: 120° (ESE) at 13mph
Gusts: 0mph
Visibility: 10mi
Ceiling: 4900ft
Heat Index: 77°
Wind Chill: 77°
Pressure: 30.39in

not "bad" wx.............

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Hi! :D

Well... Everybody is correct! :D It is Wichita Falls! Great Job!
Rann, it is Much better to get snow instead of frost and I'm glad that the "white & fluffy" is what you got! (laughing at Sharon's optical illusion!)
Marylyn, I'm glad everything went OK and "bunny" is feeling better!
Hi! Ric!
Adina, that is one gorgeous sunset!
Kelli, I want to be the 1st on your list to receive a grapefruit when someone figures out how to do it via cyber space! :-) And that's a beautiful bloom on that cactus! I have seen them yellow, but not orange! 'Hope you feel better soon!
Kiska, I can almost hear her giggling. :) It looks almost as big as she is! :D And, yes I'm having a marvelous time taking pix...I need to get you some of the Trout Lodge! ;)
Where is E_B?

Have a great evening!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Rann: OMG! Snow in May! That must've been a bit discouraging. Glad the flowers are still happy.
Kiska: Your travel plans sound great. While you're cruising the glaciers, I'll be sailing off Costa Rica! We'll both come back with lots of pics, I bet.
Kelli: Far as I know, the fire's still burning in GA. We haven't had smoke as bad as Sharon and those in FLA, but our air quality has been awful. Even on the days we don't see and smell the smoke, everyone's got headaches.
Sidney: Thanks for posting the photo of Ric. And look- he's wearing his DG teeshirt. :)
Adina: Enjoyed your evening sky.
Marilyn: Best of luck to your DH on his interview.

Anyone with too much rain, just send it on over here! This drought thing is getting serious. There is no water in the ground. I soak a bed in the evening, and the next day when I get home it's bone dry. Doing a crazy rain dance on a daily basis now! :)
Deb

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Currently 77 deg.F. High clouds all day but the rain did not happen. Humidity is up to mid 50's. We hit 80 deg this afternoon and I finally got my coleus planted out in pots. Anything planted in the ground will die as it is dry down 3 inches.

The weatherman says we have a 30% chance of a thunderstorm on Sunday. At least he did not say "you can't buy a drop of rain today". LOL

Perennials are blooming, here is another color of columbine.

Thumbnail by se_eds

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.