Daily weather for MayII, PLAYTIME in the GARDEN!!!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Deb - such a photo - takes my breath away. Been raining here big time.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Love that bloom! I have years to go before I get there. *sigh*

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Debin, beautiful photo. Hope you get some rain. Temps in the 90's again today - humidity not bad at 30%. When the clouds rolled in I thought, oh Sh*** too hot and dry for a thunderstorm. But it happened.

We got 1/2 in of rain in 20 minutes. It soaked in!. Temps dropped from 93 to 69 in 20 minutes. A few lite showers since then. God is good. And loves his humans.

I dug some columbines this evening for a friend. That 1/2 in.of rain soaked in about 1-1/2 inches. Below, the soil is dry. Don'tcha wonder how they survive?

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks, guys. Some of the hostas are ahead of schedule this year and some are really late. Spring was so weird, I'm not surprised at anything this year. It is amazing how these plants make it with no water in the ground at all. I water every day, and the next day - totally dry soil. It's also odd how you guys "up north" are in the 90s and we're not.

I'm going on a 10 day vacation in a few weeks and if things don't change, I'll have to rope someone into watering the garden for me.

I hope we'll all be seeing regular, normal rain amounts soon.

Deb

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Evening! Well, we didn't have any rain, but some where near us did...a hit & miss thing.
Dyson glad you got some! rain! :D
Pepper & Sally, I'm glad you got some water too! Yeah!!
Deb, I could do a rain dance for ya, but I'd have to come down there. When I get out the Native American music or wash my car it rains...You could give those 2 options a try. :-) But I love the bloom on your hosta! It lookslike it's made of cotton. :D
Kiska, I notice that Holly is on the prowl for the moose. :-)) That is So funny! The tourney went pretty good. We had a local radio station there for a couple of hours, which got things perked up. We served food off the grill & drinks. I promise to get pix tomorrow. I did a lot of runnin' around tryin' to make sure everyone had what they needed (just call me "speedy" on the Gator), etc. I hope that tomorrow isn't as hectic. We will know what to expect. But we are giving $100/day for the largest catch & $500 for the largest catch of the 3 days, plus some tackle boxes & rods. The largest catch today was a little more that 4&1/2 lbs. We do have some pretty big ones in the ponds. :D I can't wait for someone to pull out the big 8lb.male! He's a monster!

I took some flower pix this evening & forgot to even look at my Fox Glove. Well I'll get it tomorrow...:D
Have a Good Evening!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Another standard day - low 80s and sunny. Just checking in so you know I'm still alive.

Nice flower pictures. (I am told that we can't grow hostas here so I've never tried. It doesn't get cold enough or it's too hot - I don't know.)

The echinopsis are starting to bloom. This picture was taken some other year.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Joey, You can come down here and do a rain dance any time. I'll also take copies of your Native American music and pay you for them. My neighbors think I'm certifiable anyhow. LOL
;)
Here's my weeded area on the left and my weeds yet to pull on the right.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
(Zone 3b)

Deb - those are fantastic flowers; don't think seen one of those here. Sounds as if you may need someone to water with it being so dry and not soaking in too far.
pepper - are you getting the promised rain? Sounds as if you have, Dyson.
Kelli - nice to see you again and your wonderful photos. So pretty, this year or not.
Music2Keep - what a great tourney you've got going on down there - and some pretty nice prizes, too. Nice pink blossom - have a good day tomorrow, too.
Sugarweed - always the weeds; we can't possibly keep up w/them even if DH is now retired:)) Your yard looks great; what are the trees?
se_eds - quite a storm that rolled through - and a huge temp swing.
It's nearly 9pm, have a storm rolling around and rain in some areas, not at our house though.
Sunset will be 11:08pm
Length of Visible Light: 21hours 39min.
Storm clouds tonight.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Bloomingdale, OH(Zone 6a)

Quoting:
Tornado touches down near Holy Cross in eastern Iowa
May 26, 2007 19:19 EDT

HOLY CROSS, Iowa (AP) -- A tornado touched down about two miles south of Holy Cross in eastern Iowa today.

Some trees were knocked down and farm equipment was damaged, but no injuries or damage to buildings was reported.

That's according to Dubuque County Emergency Management Coordinator Tom Berger. He says the tornado touched down at about 4:45 this afternoon about 17 miles northwest of Dubuque.

Authorities were notified of the tornado by three 911 calls, and Berger says the National Weather Service verified the rotation.

Thunderstorms swept through many areas of Iowa today, with some storms accompanied by small hail.

This one was a little too close for comfort. We were about 3 miles away at a graduation party. Didn't see it, sure felt the winds and the hail tho. We were NOT under any watches/warnings of any kind, it developed right over us.

Whew, lol.

mg

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm glad you're safe, mg!!

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! It's 64* and gonna be another hot one. We're supposed to have rain this afternoon. I twill make for some good fishing. :D
Mg, I'm glad that you are OK. 3 miles is really Close!
Thanx Kiska...it was fun yesterday, just hectic.
Sidney, my aunt will be coming that way Monday. She lives in Baxley, Ga. She has all the music in her car! She used to live in Jax, but moved when all the kids "flew the coop". If you really want the N.A. music, I can get you all you want. I can "burn" it or buy it! :D Hey! can you e-mail it? LOL! Now you all think that I"m "certifiable!" :D
Kelli, I'm glad you're still alive! :D ~ You could have hosta's if you have shade! I think they could handle heat if watered frequently & have shade. Some of mine get sun, but it's only for a couple of hours.

Well, gotta go "fishin'" ;)
Have a Great Day!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Reporting Station: KROA
Dew Point: 62°
Relative Humidity: 78%
Wind: 300° (WNW) at 5mph
Gusts: 0mph
Visibility: 5mi
Ceiling: Unlimited
Heat Index: 69°
Wind Chill: 69°
Pressure: 30.21in

71°(F)

Looks to be a nice day.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Sidney: The weeds are the only plants I have that seem to absolutely LOVE drought! :)
MG: Happy all is well. Tornado's are so random and scary.

Now, 76F, predicted to go to 85 (cooler than normal).
No rain or even the traditional "late afternoon thundershowers" in the forecast. Oh well.
I've already had the sprinklers out this morning.

Lacecap hydrangea just beginning.

Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Lots of rain thru the night and a heavy shower this morning. The weird part is the radar was showing no rain over us. But we were getting rain. lol

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

No rain here - bright sunshine.
Reporting Station: KROA
Dew Point: 58°
Relative Humidity: 41%
Wind: 0° (N) at 7mph
Gusts: 0mph
Visibility: 10mi
Ceiling: Unlimited
Heat Index: 83°
Wind Chill: 84°
Pressure: 30.21in
82°(F)

Joey, you'll have my e-mail addy via d-mail when I finish this post.
I have 4 NAs in my blood line and do quite my own version of 'rain dance'.
I'm just trying to get every thing planted first.
God is good all the time.
Kiska those are Crepe Myrtles and are part of my foundation plants for that garden.
I have burgandy ajuga and ground cover gardenias there also.
The swordferns are not part of my garden, but stay on the fence as I cant get those out and they are pretty in the back ground. I have several pretty plants to put in there.
81.7 °F / 27.6 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 22%
Dew Point: 39 °F / 4 °C
Wind: 8.3 mph / 13 km/h from the NE
Wind Gust: 17.0 mph / 27 km/h
Here's a new variety of Copperleaf I'll be replacing a waining Brugmansia with. That's a Dipt n Wine coleus at the bottom.
;)

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Nice Pic!, I am so sorry these days, have the grandchilds here now and no energy to rough-house w/them, this getting old stuff is the pits, they expect me to be in better shape and carry on as usual. Think I'll just lie down for awhile.

(Zone 3b)

9:30am, cloudy/windy 47*F; maybe in the 60's later. Sunrise: 4:43am
Sunset 11:10pm..Length of Visible Light: 21h-49m.
MG - so glad all's well..sounds as if it could have been much worse.
M2Keep - love the color of the flower; fishing in the rain may be fun; that's how it is here, too, much of the summer. But, the rain is usually a very light/mist and usually clears off by 8pm..so, night's are nice and bright.
Dyson - bright sunshine and gkids; what a wonderful combination. (until their energy level out-paces yours, which happens a lot here)>
sugarweed - the crepemyrtle will become quite large, if I remember right, and have lots of blossoms? The copperleaf is so pretty as is the coleus; one that you brought down?
Signpost downtown Palmer.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

Close-up..
this was posted last winter but just want to show it in the spring, too.

Thumbnail by kiska
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Neat signage, I always enjoyed the tee-shirt which read "Ketchikan AK, 99901 it is not the end of the earth, but you can see it from here."

(Zone 3b)

Dyson - thanks, and that's a cool slogan for Ketchikan.

Interesting that Palmer is closer to Paris than it is to Florida

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on May 27, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
75 °F / 24 °C (83F at our house)
Clear
Humidity: 40%
Dew Point: 49 °F / 9 °C
Wind: 9 mph / 15 km/h / 4.1 m/s from the ESE

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Hi! We're getting a light rain! :D Of Course! I washed my car! :D

Thanx Kiska & I suppose it would be about 4200 miles from my house to yours. That would require 2 oil changes. :D My mechanic would think that I was nuts! ;) The fishing went well today & I was glad things went more smoothly. No-one has caught the big guy yet. The largest so far is the one yesterday. In 2nd place is a 3 & 3/4 lb. beauty.
Dyson, you should let the gkids do all the work for You...not the other way around! :D
Sidney, gorgeous flowers! And you have a d-mail. And I couldn't agree with you more...(God is good!)
Pepper, glad that you're getting the much needed rain!
Deb, you have a beautiful bloom on your hydrangea! Great Shot!

Does anyone need any hen & chicks? I have an "over load".

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

Rain off and on all day, now some sunshine. Life is good!! LOL

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

We got another thunderstorm and an additional 1/3" of rain. Happy Dance!!!

MG, that tornado sounds so scary.

Things are up and growing. I planted columbine seedlings all over the place last spring. Here is some with coral belles.

Thumbnail by se_eds
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning All! We have a warm & muggy morning with 63*. This afternoon a we will get some rain as a cold front comes thru.

The trivia "quizzie for the day is!....
In what year was the first correctly predicted tornado event?
a) 1948
b) 1954
c) 1959
d) 1965

Se_eds, we need a pic of you doing the "happy dance"! :D But I'll settle for those columbines. :D

Have a Great Day this Memorial Day!

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

Well, I'm guessing 1954.
Gotta get outside.
Sidney

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We had a T-Storm roll thru yesterday afternoon.
VERY spotty rain w/ it.
We were at a Family Picnic 20 miles north and west of here and they got a moderate soaking.
Down here our neighbor said it misted for a minute or two..........

Out to finish cleaning up the yard and getting Plants ready for the ORVG RU next weekend..

Ric

Partly sunny right now, chance of spotty showers all day.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

IT'S RAINING!!
With none Forecast......
Not a lot but we have had 15 minutes or so of steady moderately heavy rain.
Looks like maybe 5 minutes more.
The dirt under the Maples is still dry though...... lol!

For May we have officially had .7" that's point 7"......

Ric

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Sunshine and 70's here today! Perfect weather for parades and this afternoons family picnic at my Moms.

My Chinese Peonys started blooming today. If I had to pick a favorite out of all the flowers I grow here they would be at the top of the list. I got them on clearance for a couple bucks a pot a few years ago and they have already grown into very large clumps.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I'm so glad most of us are getting rain. We ended up with 1 1/10'' Saturday, had a beautiful family get together yesterday, and a trace of rain again today. The ground soaked it all up. It's perfectly wet without being muddy.

Beautiful flowers everyone!! I agree, Deb's hosta blew me away too!

All baked Saturday afternoon. Sour Cherry, Rhubarb Custard and Peach pies. Hersheys Chocolate and a Silver White cake. Leftover pie crust sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon.

Thumbnail by billyporter

Mmmmm, Peach pie!!!!!

I'll take some rhubarb custard. My grandma used to make that.

Weather is about the same as yesterday. It looks like it will be the same all week.

Updated: 3:51 PM PDT on May 28, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
72 °F / 22 °C
Clear
Humidity: 46%
Dew Point: 50 °F / 10 °C
Wind: 13 mph / 20 km/h / 5.7 m/s from the SSE
Wind Gust: 17 mph / 28 km/h / 7.7 m/s

Some wildflower pictures from today. This year's season will soon be over.

golden stars

Thumbnail by Kelli

purple sage

Thumbnail by Kelli

climbing penstemon

Thumbnail by Kelli

scarlet bugler

Thumbnail by Kelli

pearly everlasting

Thumbnail by Kelli

some kind of phacelia

Thumbnail by Kelli
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Nice pics Kelli. The climbing penstemon and pearly everlasting are unusuall looking flowers. It looks like the dry climate forces most of the plants to put all of their energy into blooms instead of foilage.

early_bloomer

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.