Plant swap - lunch list

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I can bring homemade pickle relish for the burgers... you want regular sweet relish or hot relish (or both)?

Hart, if you want a hot dish, I can do pasta with homemade roasted marinara and we can give it a quick zap in your microwave at meal time (I've got one of those insulated carriers somewhere, but I don't think it'll stay hot all the way to your place). I used Bluekat's recipe, and it's good hot or cold or anywhere in between, but if we heat it up we could melt some cheese onto it. :-)

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Oohhhh!! You guys are making me hungry!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Critter cold is fine. I thought since I would have the stove here, I could make some hot things and we'd have both hot and cold dishes without having to run back and forth and heat things up. But if you'd rather make the hot, of course we can heat it up.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Hart,

Something you/we may need that has not been taken care of yet in all the above poasts?

Maybe you want to ask people to bring their own lawn chairs, or will you have seating for 35 people? No one has brought that up. A lot of us are too "creaky" to sit on the ground.

Bring boxes or trays to take all the plants you have swapped home in.

Do you have a "designated photographer" so you do not have to deal with 99 pictures from 30 different people as they all send them to you? .....:o) You will want to post them on DG to show everyone--YES? Of course......

You may want to tie a bundle of balloons to your mailbox (or something else visible from the road) that will tell everyone: "THIS IS THE PLACE!" . We do that in my Group any time someone holds a party. It sure helps those that have never been there before. Sometimes people even tie a balloon to something where it is essential that you turn "left: or "right".

OK! Just a couple of thoughts.

Gita

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

We'll wing it, LOL. Who knows, if the oregano is out of control it might just be greek pasta salad instead!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

As to photos, I figure we can set up a thread for those after the swap and everybody can post anything they want to share.

Good notion on the lawn chairs!

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Hart,
That is fine by me... You tell me the day I leave and it is yours...I may have to buy some plants to bring for I really dont have much that has come up....
Susan

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Okay, can we please leave this thread for FOOD ONLY?! I'm a fanatic about keeping these threads organized by topic so I and others don't have to plow through three feet of chit chat to find something. Okay?

Gita, I told everyone in one of the early posts that you need to bring your own chairs and folding table or blanket to set out your plants. I'll reiterate all this right before the swap. And don't worry, you won't have any problem finding my house. I don't live in a subdivision. LOL

Kilmarnock, VA(Zone 7a)

Can I bring the cheese? That seems to be needed? Anything else? Betty

Crozet, VA

Hi Everyone - The excitement is building and you can tell by the posts. Yippie, thank you so much for serving as hostess Hart. Also thank you for all that is involved with it, such as all the extra posts you are having to make. Oops, back on topic.

Please tell me exactly what I will be looking for when I go to a Food Lion to shop for the burgers. I have never bought them already prepared. I will be going to Food Lion later today and will check them out. Sorry to sound like such a dunce.

I might buy whatever you suggest today and try them at home since Hart has given rave reviews. Where exactly in the store am I looking for these? Frozen food? Fresh Meats? Please help, I don't want to show up with the wrong thing on the day of the swap.

Thanks!!!

Ruby

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Just a reminder for those bringing burgers / meat. I will be bringing chicken to throw on the grill, too. Enough to share, 3 or 4 lb of boneless chicken makes a lot of Teriyaki chicken skewers to pass around. That way we will have 2 meat choices. Your right getting so excited, so looking forward to meeting everyone. Thanks a lot Hart for all your work.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I'm just drooling now thinking about your chicken skewers, Holly. I love teriyaki chicken.

Would you like me to make some Jasmine rice to go with your chicken?

Ruby, the frozen patties would be in the frozen food section, not with the meat. Our Food Lion is kind of weird, it has the frozen meats in separate freezers in the back of the store and in the end of the freezers facing the back of the store, not on the aisles with the other frozen foods. Not sure if your Food Lion would be the same. They will probably have several brands, some in boxes and some in bags. You might want to check the fat content/percentage. Some are very good, some are way too fatty.

All these separate posts are to keep me from getting confused, Ruby. LOL It also makes it a lot easier to find specific information if someone else needs it.

Crozet, VA

Hi - I didn't leave the house today. It will be Monday before I can get to a Food Lion and see what is up with frozen burgers. Good idea about checking for fat content. You are always on the ball hart.

I hope that everyone is having a good weekend.

Ruby

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Ruby, the frozen pre-formed patties are easy (no prep), and they're also easy to transport, but if you have trouble finding them I think anything grill-able would work, especially if it fits in a hamburger bun.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Hart, The Jasmine rice sounds delicious, but we don't want you slaving in the kitchen all day or the day before. Make it easy on yourself.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

It's no trouble at all, Holly. Throw some rice and water and a little olive oil in a dish and nuke it in the microwave.

Betty, I'll you down for the cheese. Thanks for volunteering to be the cheese lady. LOL

Crozet, VA

Great idea Critter. I will find the pre formed burgers, I am sure. We just haven't had them at home before, so I am not familiar with them. You guys might be turning me on to another favorite food, who knows? ha-ha

As I said, haven't ever met a food that I didn't like. ha-ha

I am sure that by lunch time that day, whatever is there will be wonderful. Yum, yum.

Ruby

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

After deliberation with my partner-in-crime, Chantell, the "color scheme" has been decided - I'll be bringing plates, plastic cups, cutlery and napkins in pinks/purple/white - I'll bring a card table as well, so I foresee a paper table cloth in the mix! :) Ask Chantell, I am totally OCD when it comes to colors and matching "stuff" :)
Since my garden miraculously ended up in those colors I guess it will be fitting! I'll also bring some "goodies" that we possibly can't live without - diet or not!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

And the sheet cake that my DD will be making...will match...taaa daaa!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Oh, my. Maybe I'd better spray paint the lawn pink or purple? LOL You all are soooo fancy. It sounds very pretty.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

LOL... that would make your place easy to spot from the road, I betcha!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Yeah...who'd need balloons with a pink and purple lawn? LOL

Shenandoah Valley, VA

SO would really appreciate it too. Especially pink. LOL

Strasburg, VA(Zone 6b)

Tell him it would look great pink with the HUGE chicken from harper's!!

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hart, you can put me on the list for Cilantro Hummus Dip, and Chicken Wings (half spicy, half barbque). Can't wait to meet everyone!

Bobbie

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Ooooh, just wait until you taste Bobbie's hummus! :-9

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Hart,
I am still not 100% if we are coming so I will hold out to last min. then bring anything that you might need. Ok? If not I could bring Chicken salad???? let me know ok? I am so excited....
Susan

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Susan, I have you down for chicken salad. The list is above. I think I'm going to paste it into the top post so it's not so hard to find.

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Hart,
Sorry have not been on posts much... Chicken salad it is... Looks like we are going to be able to make it... We will be going camping... We have a beautiful popup with king size beds and we only used 3 times so I told hubby if we used this we could go.. if he had the days off which it turns out he does...yeahhhh
I will not have allot of things to trade,but I am still coming.
Susan

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hooray!!!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Susan -- that's great! We'll be sure to send you back with a garden's-worth of plants!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Susan, I'm so glad you all are able to come. Are you going to camp in the national forest or a local campground?

We don't care if anyone has a lot to trade or not.

Crozet, VA

Someone please make salt and pepper available. Thank you.

Ruby

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh thanks everyone for the happies :-) I just got home from work and the popup is up and looking good... has a touch of mold on the inside but is not problem will get that tomrrow after work... It is new well it was new and we only used 3 times then life got in the way again.LOL...
We will look tonight at the site you sent about the campgrounds but more then likely we will do the national forest one but I am not sure... I dont really care where we stay so long as we get there...LOL
We are coming up on Friday so can be rested for the day at your house.. :-)
Ok going to cook dinner now... yack at ya all later..
Susan

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Lynda, can you get one of those sets of salt and pepper in the cardboard salt and pepper shakers like they sell for picnics? I have plenty of salt and pepper here but forgot to get unbreakable shakers yesterday.

Susan, better call the national forest people tomorrow and make sure the campgrounds are open. They normally would be but just in case.

This message was edited Jun 6, 2007 6:15 PM

Strasburg, VA(Zone 6b)

no problem....mike thought the edinburgh route would be the easiest so i will go by walmart on the way....just let me know if anything else pops up :-)

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Thanks Lynda.

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

Put me down for the tequila...who is bringing the blender?!? ;-)

Actually, I am thinking about bringing a pasta dish...nothing too fancy. What about drinks? Is it BYO? I could do the "guy thing" and just bring along a cooler of ice and some 2 liters of soda, but then again I never seem to pick out what everybody else drinks...I am definitely not a fan of diet stuff.

I will be coming along solo...leaving the wife and kids at home.

Susan: At first read "mold" and thought that you were talking about some food you were brining along...I was thinking that I would have to avoid the "popup"...LOL!!

- Brent

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Brent -- I'm the drink person -- will Pepsi do it for you? I was going to bring (maybe) ice tea, water, Perrier, diet pepsi, pepsi. Any other requests? Juice? Ice coffee? And I'll bring ice too.

Hart -- should I bring an ice chest?

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Please do, Happy. I don't even own one.

BTW, does anyone happen to have an extra folding table they can bring? I have exactly one folding table, a fairly long one, which I can use for the food. Been trying with no luck to borrow another one that I can use for my plants.

Note please everyone you must bring your own tables and folding chairs. You don't want to sit on my rocky ground. It will leave dents in your rear end. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.