Who wants a Spring Roundup in GA ? [Sticky] Part 2

Janet, I have potted up my iris, but I often just hand people iris that is cut back, and put in a labeled brown paper lunch sack. As long as they can plant them soon, they don't much care.

GGG

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Well, that is kinda what I thought about doing, as well, but I wasn't sure if there was an etiquette to follow..lol It is really h ard to find enough POTS for everything....where does everyone purchase cheap pots like the nursery uses?

I have a few more irises a friend gave me to pass along, they are what I think is Wabash or Rhein Nixe - or something similar. White on the top, dark purple falls. I have not seen them myself, they were described to me. These are fairly common in our area, and probably historic to the mid-30's.

I get my pots from neighbors, customers (I sell outta my driveway), a garden aquaintance who has done ABG tours several times and gives the containers from her plantings, professional landscape installers...
There are all sorts of ways! I literally have green garbage bags full of them.
Can I bring some containers to the RU for you Janet?

GGG

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

That would be great and a couple fans of the Wabash too...lol

I used to have lots of pots because I purchased so many plants, and now I mostly trade for them, or buy lilies and iris, which of course do not come in pots...lol

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I have never bought a pot & I have lots of them. Friends & neighbors give them to me and most nurseries/landscapers will give you used pots - just ask!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Will do, thanks!

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

I have just listed more under my trade list for the swap. Please check it out! :)

Susan

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Great question Coby...how long does the RU normally last? I didn't think to ask that question, but would love to know. Does it go on into the afternoon, or is it pretty much done after we have lunch?

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

The time varies - I don't know just what time the speaker will arrive with the worm castings - I thought he could speak after we ate. We can't get the BBQ til 12:00 - so maybe by 1:00 he could speak (or before lunch- up to him). Then we would give out door prizes and have pictures. When folk's sort of run out of things to trade, we can break up to go visit the nurseries if you like - 3-4:00. I'm open for suggestions. Some people have a long way to travel, other's don't, we are a flexible group!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks, that gives me an idea anyway, of how it normally will go. Sounds like so much fun! I can hardly wait!

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thank you Azalea, sounds like "mom" won't be home all day! No cooking, no cleaning - day off.

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Not looking good for me to make it, I am still going to try, and if I can't, well, I'll mail to those that I promised things to.Yall have a good time anyway. Mike

Its our dog, who is 75lbs., and 13years old.She has seizusers, and we were afraid to put her in the kennel, whitch might cause one, but DW will stay, and our daughter will come help with her, and things might get better.Hope to see everyone.Mike

This message was edited May 17, 2007 4:59 PM

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Awww, Elaine 101, will miss meeting you. My yellow 4 o'clocks are coming up again..This Ollie is just for you,
Elaine

Thumbnail by EFGeorgia1
Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Oh Mike - it would'nt be the same without you! I do hope you can work things out.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

We will certainly miss you if you are not there....hope you do get to come!

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

It's unlikely that Donna will make it to Ru. Her Daddy is still hospitalized and the fluid buildup is still a problem fo him. Please keep him in your prayers.
Donna's trades will be carried to the RU by Jason when he brings the worm Castings. She will have them labeled. She has asked me to collect her trades and bring them back with me. I'll be the big lady wearing red & black driving a black Toyota Tundra Truck. "grin"

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

So sorry about her sadness - been through similar times with my in laws.

I just found out this evening that I am only able to borrow 4 tables, I thought there were 10 - so if it's not too much trouble, if anyone has a long table they could bring, we would appreciate it - also a chair if you care to sit down and eat.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

I will bring a couple of chairs. I have a 4 ft. portable table if you would like me to bring. Let me know.
Elaine

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes please do!

Thank you, PJ

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Will do,
Elaine

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

I have 2 saw horses, if someone has plywood.
chris

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I have 2 tabletops, no legs! Bring on those horses!

LOL, such teamwork!

I also have a large folding table, and some chairs.Do we need an extension cord? I may just bring 100 ft., just in case.Mike

Donna in Douglas, GA(Zone 8b)

Thanks a million Deborah, many HUG'S to ya!

Jason don't know what he's in for! lol!! I have 15 trader's with many plants!!! With extra plants to share! Deborah what's left-over take home with you!!

I'll miss ya, but hope to see you at my place in October!

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Mike - I thought you said you didn't think you could make it?? Don't know what we would use an extension cord for?? The table & chairs would be most welcome. :)

I worked that out, PJ, I did an edit.See you Sat. Mike

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Glad you can make it Mike, look forward to meeting you...and EVERYONE...TOMORROW....LOL It got here quickly didn't it!

Boohoo :-( Y'all have fun!!

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Elaine, You'll be there in my heart. I'll look for you a fragrance plant.

I have two plastic horses if we can fit them into Soul's truck. If they lay under boxes etc. they won't take up much room.

GGG

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Super GGG - they will be perfect. Don't forget chairs. I feel bad to ask for these things. This is why I tried so hard to get the Beach Pavilion - they had seating and tables for 100. It would have been perfect, but much more expensive.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm excited..

Is it wrong to bring bottles of wine for the door prize?? I don't want to offend anyone if they abstain? Maybe we can have a drinkers door prize?? LOL!! I know it is supposed to be garden related.. but I figure a glass of wine in the garden??

I'll bring my chair.. I've got cookies too... Not homemade, but the best store bought ones from a store called Trade Joes.. just yumm!

DH refuses to plant all the tomatoes I have and he's the tomato man, so I must oblige.. I will have small plants in peat pellets tomorrow.. They must be planted in soon or else they will bite the dust.. I'll bring them for the veggie growers. Sorry the variety names got all mixed up as the ink ran on the paper sticky which was outside the tray... They are excelent varieties.. promise :)

Susan

This message was edited May 18, 2007 5:00 PM

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

http://www.jonesboroumc.com/templates/System/details.asp?id=35695&PID=419895

For Driving Directions to the First Methodist Church in Johnsborro on Main Street. Click on link and fill out mapquest for your starting point to print out exact directions.

Susan

Thannk you, Deborah! You're sooo sweet! Oh and I'll sure miss meeting everyone!

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Just found out that tomorrow is what is known as "Jonesboro Days" - this is a new thing to me. Our sleepy little town may be bustlung with activity - they might even block off S. Main St where our Round- up is to be held, so you might need to take another route. I am so perturbed - I will get there as early as I can, before 8:00 to try to at least reserve our parking lot.
We will need to keep back from the street as much as possible ( up close to the church building) or people may think we are part of the town's celebration. The church is at the corner of S. Main st and College st. So you may need to take college st off of Tara Blvd or 19/41 rather than going down Main st. grrrrrr!

Looks like we may have about 60 coming!!!

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Jonesboro Days celebration marks opening of new firehouse museum, community center

By Joel Hall

jhall@news-daily.com

Walking through the rows of some 800 pictures on display at the newly restored Jonesboro Firehouse is like walking back through time in the eyes of others.

There are pictures of weddings, graduations, Sunday outings, and military portraits, dotted with letterman jackets, beehive hairdos, and Model-T Fords.

Some of the pictures date back as far as the Civil War.

The Jonesboro Firehouse, mostly unused for years, recently underwent an extensive renovation. After knocking out a few walls, installing some bathrooms, scraping off old tar, cleaning dirty windows and applying a shiny new coat of paint, the building will reopen as the Jonesboro Firehouse Museum and Community Center on Saturday as a part of Jonesboro Days.

Jonesboro Days is “like an old-time reunion where people come to get together,” said Katherine Smith, director of the new museum.

The celebration, at 103 West Mill St., will take place from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Mill Street, around the Firehouse Museum, will be cordoned off to make way for vendors, activity tents, and musical performances.

Free hot dogs and drinks will be provided by the city and there will be a drawing for prizes at 2 p.m. Attendees will get a chance to view baby pictures of prominent Jonesboro figures and guess their identities for prizes. Country and gospel artist B.J. Cook will perform.

People who come to the opening will also have a chance to walk through the new center and see an antique fire truck once used by the city, pictures and trophies given to former fire department officials, and pictures donated by families who have lived in the Jonesboro.

Some of Smith’s pictures on display include ones of her great-grandfather William Thomas Roberts, a Confederate solider in the Civil War and a member of the Clayton Sharpshooters, and a picture of her from 1977, sporting a beehive hairdo and posing with Burt Reynolds when he was in Jonesboro filming “Smokey and the Bandit.”

In past Jonesboro Days celebrations, pictures on display were taken down and reassembled every year. Now they will have a permanent home.

As a trial run, the center will open Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10 a.m. - 8 p.m.

“We really want to see if people will like and use the facilities,” said Smith.

The community center will have games like checkers and chess, areas to sit or watch TV, a full-scale kitchen, books, magazines, and even a karaoke machine.

Nancy Reeves, a Jonesboro resident who has come to Jonesboro Days every year since its inception, was pleased with the new facility.

“A lot of historical buildings in Jonesboro have been torn down,” said Reeves. “There was talk of tearing this down, but we were so glad that it was saved — and for very little money. Now we have this wonderful new community center. This is a dream come true that we never thought would happen.”

Reeves is pleased Jonesboro family pictures have a permanent home. Several pictures of her mother and her childhood are on display.

“It’s a place where people can honor people who have passed on,” she said. When people see the pictures, “we laugh, it brings back memories...it’s wonderful. They say you can’t go home, but you can.”

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

PJ..I've looked at a map at it looks like the intersection just south of where will will be will be closed off.. However, there is a way around it for sure.

Do you want an earlier start time??

Susan

I will be showing up a little early about (9:00)to help reserve parking or whatever we need.
chris

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

I will call Glynis in the morning just as soon as I'm ready to pull out here and ask if I can come earlier so that we can block off parking.. Vendors will be trying to park there.. it's only .14 of a mile from the corner. Maybe I can come up with some signs.... I'll go check.. and report back..

:)

All will be well PJ!!!

Susan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.