Blue flowers

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I think my muscari are at their peak now

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

and a closeup

Thumbnail by grampapa
Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Wow, gram! Those look awesome! Mine aren't nearly as full. And what's weird is that I'm in zone 5 and all mine are done. Tamara

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Tamara, sometimes, the zone map doesn't tell all. you just have to know your own space.

I hope to have more blue next year, a color my garden was sadly lacking. I have wintersown double blue balloon flower, delphinium in a royal blue & blue/purple combo, mixed aubretia (false rock cress) some of which may be blue, several kinds of gentian, love-in-a-mist, 'Blue Bishop' monkshood, morning glory 'Heavenly Blue', salvia 'Victoria Blue, sea holly 'Blue Lace' and bachelor's buttons

Assonet, MA(Zone 6b)

Grampapa have you tried the thistle, echinops retro. The foliage can be a bit much, but it is a fun flower to watch form, and the hummers LOVE it. They visit each and every little flower on the globe.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

daisey, thanks for the tip...I'll take a look

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I think that the best part of Echinops retro is the foliage. I love it! It is extremely unique and sculptural. It is adds a textural and architectural element to the perennial bed. The perfect powder-blue globe-shaped flowers are also a nice addition.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Is it time for a Part II?

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Yes, Dale. I suppose it is. I'll get right on it.

Here's the link for part 2:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/721013/

This message was edited May 8, 2007 4:28 AM

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

Hello folks who like blue flowers,

I'm trying to rustle up interest in a delphinium forum. If you, too, are interested, would you post a reply here?

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/886367/

TIA
LAS

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

My favorite blue flower: larkspur gentian blue.

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I had all colors of tall larkspur too. The pink were from fresh new seeds. All the blues and purples were 3rd year offspring (all volunteers) of Earl Gray.

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Karen, what are the red flowers in that picture? Zinnias ???
Nice photo BTW !!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

The red flowers are burgundy gaillardia. That was all one 2nd year plant, wintersown last year.

Karen

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Thanks ! Great combo.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.