Blue flowers

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

A bit of purple Hebe to the left, a blue Hyssop (I think it looks more blue in real time), and at the very back, I think the tall blue is the Salvia Argentine Skies that I mentioned.

I guess I have more blue than I remembered.

Thumbnail by Murmur
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Oh, Murmur is your HEBE hardy there? I had one from a friend, and it died when I put it in the garden. I just loved that plant. Do you have a picture of the Hebe?

Edited to say: I see it in the picture you sent, but I would love to see how large it got for you....and how old is it?

This message was edited Apr 21, 2007 9:45 AM

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

The Hebe and the Hyssop are gorgeous! That pic has a beautiful, ethereal quality.

Janet, I think the problem with Hebes for us is summer heat rather than the winter cold. The one in the pic is so bright, I love it.

Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 8b)

I love that hebe also, beautiful color.

I'll look for a picture of the Hebe by itself. They are relatively hardy here, although I know some people lost them this year (extra cold for a long period of time). Mine has been damaged a couple times from late frosts, but seems to recover. Thanks for all the nice words!

This is not a close up, but you can get the idea - it is three years old.

Thumbnail by Murmur
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for sharing the picture. I really think I am going to try and find another one for my garden. I just love that. It would seem if it is hardy for you then I would be able to keep it alive here, in partial sun perhaps...I have to check on those again. Do you know much about them as a group? Any suggestions as to which cultivar etc. I should be loooking for?

Small yet delicate, I can't get enough muscari! I love the color blue!

Thumbnail by
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Jacaranda tree

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

a close up

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Well, that tree is just plain fabulous, Dale. About how long does it stay in bloom?

I found a couple of blue irises blooming in my garden today.

This is a nice batik one.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Porterweed

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

And here's another pretty blue one.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Zuzu, what are you doing up in the middle of the night?

Jacaranda full of blooms for about two weeks. It is the city tree of Los Angeles.

Mexican petunia

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Tradescantia-a wildflower

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Lobelia

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Saliva, my favorite Lobelia 'Crystal Palace' and some other flowers that are not blue.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Wigandia

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Pansies

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

I work at night, Dale, but I take frequent breaks.

Love all those blues! I've never heard of Wigandia. I'm so glad I'm moving to Florida. I'll have a whole new group of flowers to work with.

Here is some Flax that is blooming in my garden. I got a seed packet of these and threw them in my garden 2 years ago and they are now just blooming.Looks like there'll be plenty of seed for next year! I was really stunned by the gracefulness of the plant.

Thumbnail by

Aconitum, first year.

Isn't it gorgeous?

Sasha

Thumbnail by Sashagirl

Blue Larkspur from last year-don't remember the variety. Looks like it's coming along fine, this year, in spite of a lot of new foliage succoming to a late spring ice storm.

Thumbnail by Sashagirl

You'd all laugh if you could have heard me going "oh," "oh," "oh," every time I looked at a new photo! gorgeous, incredible flowers!

Janet, I've not forgotten your question about Hebes - I'll try to find the info on the one you saw in the picture. I also have several small ones in pots, called Hebe Topiaria, which seem to be incredibly hardy, but I don't like them nearly as well - and I don't think they flower. They're an "okay" contrast to other things in the containers, however.

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Here are my Virginia bluebells that I love:

Thumbnail by zone5girl
Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Here's another: Chionodoxa forbesii

Thumbnail by zone5girl
Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

And here is Blue Pearl muscari:

Thumbnail by zone5girl

Zone5girl, those are beautiful!! Sure do love those Virginia bluebells - I see them in catalogs all the time, but haven't ordered any. Seeing yours (the real thing, not just a catalog shot), makes me want to get some right away!!!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Phlox

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Murmur! It is just such a sweet little flower! So pretty and dainty...one day when I have more room, I will have a mass planting of them. :-) Tamara

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Always a nice early spring show from the 'Georgia Blue' Speedwell.

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

This is an orchid that I saw in a front yard, must be 20 yrs or more. It is not blue. I wanted you to see it anyway.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Blew

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Here is a blue Iris...I have no idea the name of this one, I call it "Black and Blue" lol

Thumbnail by JanetS

here is another blue iris.just bloomed today

Thumbnail by

Janet, I can't find any info on my purple Hebe - don't know what happened to the i.d. The other day I had to cut a lot of damaged parts off of it - it looks a bit sad at the moment, but has lots of life and I predict it will come back beautifully (I hope anyway)! That last very late cold spell did a number on it - and doggone, it's supposed to go below 40 again tonight.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Oh, that is awful. I hope it holds up well for you and today it is looking okay after the cold last night. It is just a beautiful plant!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.