My favorite harbinger of spring is...

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 484 votes:

when a special plant blooms (which one?)
(147 votes, 30%)
Red dot

when a particular bird returns (your favorite is?)
(87 votes, 17%)
Red dot

the frogs start singing
(58 votes, 11%)
Red dot

when I can leave the windows open all day and night
(116 votes, 23%)
Red dot

when I turn on the air conditioner
(6 votes, 1%)
Red dot

my calendar
(4 votes, 0%)
Red dot

something else (please tell!)
(66 votes, 13%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Fairmont, WV(Zone 6a)

Spring is here when I hear the peepers for the first time. :) I open the windows whenever it hits 60 or so (which can occur occasionally during the winter) and the robins return when it's still cold here.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

The thing I like about spring is it's when all the plants seem to come back to life. Lots of blooms, not just one particular one.

Donna

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Lots of people think Southern California doesn't have real seasons. We do have lots of things growing all year and no snow where I live, but there are definite changes.

I had to pick a bird arriving. Our Lady Banks rose started to bud in January - before the freeze. Other things started to grow, the redbud did her thing. We have hummingbirds and goldfinches, even a family of bluebirds, all year. But when the orioles arrive I know for sure it's spring.

Kathleen

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

When the first male hummer arrives, I know it's spring! This year the first hummer visited my gardens on March 22 as opposed to last year's later visit on April 5th.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

When I can wear a jacket and shoes instead of a parka and boots to walk my dog at dawn. When I hear the cardinals singing their mating songs, and the redwing blackbirds calling for 'Bert McGee'.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

It's hummingbirds for me. We mark the calendar each year when we see our first hummer. I immediately put a batch of nectar in the microwave while DH gets down the feeders and gives them a good wash. Next, we call others in the area who put up feeders, and they do the same for us.

Mchenry, IL(Zone 5a)

when the lillies of the valley bloom which is usually around mothers day. it reminds me of my mom who i lost to lukemia. i always pick a bunch in her memory. it is also nice when the tulips and hycinths bloom and the yellow finches return.

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

For me, it's when the daffodils and tulips start making their way up through the mulch.

Just saw the first Robin of the season yesterday, and several more today! That's another good sign.

Although they are calling for night temps in the 20s at the end of the week. : (

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

When the horses shed.They are old and get very shaggy, so new spring coats are so shinny and sleek.

Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

Some more votes for crocus then forsythia....

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

I think its raking out my beds and seeing whats under all the leaves and mulch those tender little shoots coming up . I am always in awe , how do they know?
nature is amazing
laura

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

When it gets to March 12...a week after my birthday. I know that part-time spring is due.

Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

Daffodils! The only bulbs tree rats leave alone.
That, and getting the Peony rings put back in place.

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

The frogs are singing! This is our Pacific Tree Frog.

Thumbnail by ByndeweedBeth
Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

I selected other: When I can walk outside and it's warm enough for me to not have to wear a sweater!

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

In Northern Ontario I think most everyone "SMILES A MILE" when they see their first ROBIN !!!!

I know I sure do :-)

~*M*~

Fairmont, WV(Zone 6a)

Well I already voted for "frogs", but my DH reminded me of a uniquely WV harbringer of spring--ramps!

Salina, KS(Zone 6a)

when the Baltimore orioles return. Have a few days of cold & possible snow forecast now. Then will put our jelly jar feeders out again.
We have a few robins & yellow finches stay around all winter.
Leaving our bedroom window open is a close second. I do so enjoy the weather being right for that.

Millbury, MA(Zone 5a)

Hmmm, well I interpreted "harbingers" to mean that Spring would be arriving soon, but wasn't here yet. In accordance with that --- for the past three years we have been lucky enough to have two or three bluebirds visiting our yard. When they show up, I know that Spring can't be too far away (although we often get more snow after their first appearance.) The weather report is now calling for sleet and rain, then snow for the next several days.

I'd forgotten all about the tree frogs! Haven't heard them at all yet. That really does usually mean that Spring is here (though last year, I fear the poor things got their toes frozen off just after they first started singing.)

Circle Pines, MN(Zone 4b)

The buds start swelling, the birds start singing, the gold finches put on their yellow coats, and the grass starts greening up. The smell of earth, the "babies" growing up in the basement, opening up the windows - so many things spell spring to me that I can't choose just one!

Selma, AL(Zone 8a)

The plants I ordered in Jan arrived today...so it must be Spring

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

For me it's seeing my first Bluebonnet of the year!

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

no more coffee or tea for Terry!

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

When I hear that first purple martin I am ecstatic. It is the true symbol of the arrival of spring for me.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Wisteria blooming, azaleas busting out all over, and amaryllis sending up scapes to show off their beauty. If flowers are this beautiful now think of the Garden of Eden before sin tainted everything.

Just as Jesus arose from the tomb so does he bring forth the beauty of His magnificent creation. I love Spring.

Southlake, TX(Zone 8a)

I voted for "Something else". When I can dig in the garden and feel warmth on my back, and also start visiting nurseries, I know spring is here. Although my visits to the nurseries are usually too early in the season! tosaho AKA SandiO

TAYLOR, TX(Zone 8a)

My favorite bird is the Hummingbird.

Gold Hill, OR(Zone 7a)

I know that spring has come to the Rogue Valley when the Turkey Vultures return to their breeding ground at Lower Table Rock. Not a pretty bird, but they never return until the weather warms, (from mid Feb. to early April) This year they showed up about 3 weeks ago. In the fall they let you know when the weather is changing by heading south until winter is over. It's quite a sight to watch dozens of vultures start filling the sky, circling on the air currents till they are high enough to start the migration. (I live about a mile from Lower Table Rock and get to catch this site when they return and when they leave.)

DebiV

Huntington, WV

When the leaves bud on the house side of the maple trees out front.

(Zone 5a)

I thought spring was here ... the weather was warm, the robins were busy, the daffodils and tulips were in full bloom, perennials were bursting out everywhere ... all my signs of spring. My nectarine tree even thought it was spring and decided to bloom a bit early. This morning the temperature was 24 and it is supposed to be the low for the next several nights. I think I'll go mope for awhile.

Pittsboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I love having all the daffodils bloom. I have well over 200 of them in my yard! The real "harbinger of spring" for me, though, is when the weeping cherry blooms. It's so beautiful!

Camp Crook, SD(Zone 3b)

When the baby calves start hitting the ground.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

daffodils - although when we lived in the BC interior it was baby calves and baby lambs.

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

When the Jack-in-the-pulpits come up and the mayapples start to sprout. That means MOREL MUSHROOM HUNTING TIME!

Buena Vista, VA

When that "special plant" blooms--which special plant? Anything that I forgot I planted. Actually, it doesn't even have to bloom. Anything popping out of the ground that makes me say, "Oh, I forgot I had that!"

Selma, AL(Zone 8a)

I usually just go by feelings..but always check to see if pecan trees are leafing to make sure.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i already posted about hearing Chuck-will's Widow calling at night, but yesterday morning i heard a quail calling, bob-white, so i guess the birds really do it for me.

Deer Park, TX(Zone 9a)

When the wild crow-poison plants bloom. My mother told me it was an onion flower - all these years I thought it was an onion flower. As I child I couldn't wait until the onion flower (crow-poison flower) bloomed, then I knew that Spring was right around the corner.

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

For me Spring is not just a "special" plant that blooms, but to peek under the mulch and see what is coming up everyday. This spring I did have a plant that bloomed for the first time so that surprise made it special.

Thumbnail by agebhart

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.