All Things Variegated

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Here are a dozen or so of some of my favorite variegated houseplants. I don't know why, but variegation draws me like a magnet. Here goes...

Sansevieria 'Golden Hahnii' - extremely easy to grow. Great for home or office. Forms offsets (pups) around the base. The plant shown is making a new offset right now.

Thumbnail by Snowrose
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hedera Helix 'Mint Kolibri'. This is a small leaved variegated ivy. Pretty and easy to grow. I grow mine kept moist with some gentle morning sun.

Thumbnail by Snowrose
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Another easy care plant...Tradescantia (Wandering Jew) -

Thumbnail by Snowrose
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I love this variegated Shrimp Plant (Justica Brandegeana) 'Fruit Cocktail' -

Thumbnail by Snowrose
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Another variegated hedera 'Lauren's Lace'. This one has curly foliage.

Thumbnail by Snowrose
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Reliable and very easy care...Pothos 'Marble Queen'.

Thumbnail by Snowrose
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

This plant is a complete mystery to me. I have had it for a while and purchased it for the variegated foliage but have never seen another. No clue as to it's identity. Anyone hazard a guess? The leaves are stiff and have a 'papery' sound when touched.

Thumbnail by Snowrose
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Peperomia Obtusifolia Variegata -

Thumbnail by Snowrose
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

One more for now...Philodendron 'Florida Beauty'.

Thumbnail by Snowrose
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Philo 'Florida Beauty' close up of leaf -

Thumbnail by Snowrose
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Please post any of your favorite variegated plants. I still have so many more but that should be more than enough for now. Thanks for looking.

Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

I love that Florida Beauty, thanks for sharing.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Beautiful plants, Snowrose!
OK...I need advice on the Sansevieria 'Golden Hahnii'....I have a good-sized collection of Sansevierias, but I have killed 2 (or is it 3, LOL!?) of those.
I've read that they should have *NO* water during the winter, but I've nearly killed a Sans or two by underwatering during the winter, as well.
How do you care for yours during the winter?

I've eyed that variegated Fla Beauty, too! Is it a good grower for you?

Your mystery plants looks a lot like Croton 'Andrew'....(it is known for having those irregular leaf borders, too)...does they growth habit and stem/leaf structure resemble a croton to you? (I can't tell by the photo.)

I've got some variegate photos somewhere....I'll have to get to digging!
Thanks for posting yours!!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Very nice! I prefer the short sanseverias to the tall ones, and yours is very attractive. Also like your Peperomia. All look so healthy! Have to get a pic of my Peper later. The mystery- a croton maybe? no, that wouldn't probably seem papery. OOPS, just re read Nan : ^)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

snboynken - Thanks!

Nan - You made my day! I just did a Google search and my mystery plant is most definitely croton 'Andrew'. Thank you! See, that's what is so good about this forum...people like you that know their stuff!

Sure, Philo 'Florida Beauty' is easy to grow same as any other philo but it needs a brighter light level to enhance the variegation vs. plain green ones. I love it. It does real well under florescent lighting too.

Now on the sansevieria watering issue - I do water mine in the winter but allow to dry in between. My home temps in the winter run between about 65 - 70. If they are kept at colder temps than this (or in dim light), then I suppose they could be left a bit on the dry side for longer periods as they wouldn't be very actively growing. Even though plants can survive neglect doesn't mean they are their happiest and thrive. Know what I mean? Sansevierias are just about as tolerant as a plant can be to drought but they do need water.

Please do post any variegated plants you have!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

They are all beautiful! I love the "Wandering Jew" plant, that one is very nice! It looks like the leaves are smooth and not hairy...is that right? Do you know the name of this one? I would love to have some of that!

(Zone 1)

Nancy: That one with the papery leaves is definitely Croton ... don't know which one though. Here's a photo of one I have that was labeled Croton 'Petra' but it is not Petra.

edited to say: I LOVE that one of yours ... lots of white in the leaves, really Pretty!

This message was edited Mar 29, 2007 2:09 PM

Thumbnail by plantladylin
(Zone 1)

All of my plants are just your ordinary every day variety house plants. But here's one Bromeliad I've had a long while and I love it. Was told on DG that I should plant it in full sun and it would get real red in color. I kinda like it the way it is, planted in a glass vase:

edited to say: I forgot about the little Ficus Tree in the background with Variegated Foliage!

This message was edited Mar 29, 2007 2:13 PM

(Zone 1)

Here's one of my Very Favorite Crotons, planted in the ground ... This is C. 'Mamey':

(Zone 1)

Here's two of my Dracaena's .... needing more humidity, leaves turning brown:

(Zone 1)

Here's Joseph's Coat, very colorful:

(Zone 1)

I saw that Philo Florida Beauty somewhere and I want to get one of those Beauties!

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Lin...you have *so* renewed my interest in Crotons!!
I don't know whether to thank you or....???? LOL!!!

I had purchased Croton 'Andrew' at a greenhouse near here about 8 years ago, and no one knew what it was!! (It was labeled properly, though!)

I lost that one, and got another one last year and have since lost it, too.
(Forgot to water it!)
I have noted it's much more readily available than it was for a long time, so I'm going to have to get me another!
I noticed that spider mites liked this one, in particular:(

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

sallyg (fellow Marylander) - Thanks for the input on the mystery plant. Croton it is! I do like the 'birdsnest' type sans. The tall snake plants can be kinda neat in the right spot as well especially in a nice pottery type pot. Looking forward to seeing your peperomia pic!

JanetS - yes, these WJ's are smooth and have a soft sheen to the leaves. I'd be happy to send you a few cuttings. They are called 'Tradescantia Variegata".

Here's another variegated plant....a succulent called Aeonium arboreum variegatum labeled 'Love Struck'. The rosette pictured is about 10" across. The summer sun will intensify the color and bring out lots more pink.

This message was edited Mar 29, 2007 7:10 PM

Thumbnail by Snowrose
SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Oooh...have never seen an Aeonium with such variegation....Beautiful!!!
OK...gotta get to work now!!

(Zone 1)

Wow Snow! That last pic of Aeonium is Gorgeous ... I've never seen that one before ... really love the pink! I might have to "grow" an interest in succulents!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Lin and Nan...how I do love nice succulents! I'm thinking they should do nicely for you in Florida, Lin, as long as they have real good drainage. All your plants look wonderful and that C. Mamey is fab!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Taking a break from the yard and came across this delightful thread!!! I have never seen any prettier pictures....I want all!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am always a sucker for variegated foliage on any plant...house or garden...

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

I love variegated and unusual foliage, too. I see we have a lot of the same plants, Snowrose. Here is my Aglaonema 'Silver Bay' Chinese Evergreen.

Thumbnail by Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

Here's Rex Begonia 'Color Vision'

Thumbnail by Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

Aphelandra squarrosa, Zebra Plant. I love the look of this one!

Thumbnail by Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

Fittonia 'Red Vein'

Thumbnail by Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

Fittonia 'Angel snow vein'

Thumbnail by Wvdaisy
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

bettygail - Same here....a sucker first class! Thanks!

Wvdaisy - Oh, how pretty! All so nice. Love them. That rex is a true 'Color Vision' treat to behold.

We need more pics!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I want to show pics but I let the rechargeable batteries die today ......this is the best thread ever!!!! getting ideas all the time....I can't live without the Fittonias....the rex begonias, the zebra, etc....they are all great!! good going, Snowrose for starting this....we can all keep it going and then have the perfect list of what we can't live without!!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I know what you mean, bettygail. If it's got variegated foliage, I'll take more than a second look. I so enjoy everyones great photos and lovely plants. Okay, now we are waiting on yours.

(Zone 1)

Sounds like there are quite a few of us who are Crazy about Plants with the Variegated Foliage!

Peperomia clusiifolia, red edge peperomia. Bought for $1 in little 3 inch pot at the grocery store. I knew it would grow well, in time, and it has grown, but I don't really like the leaf shape. I haven't exactly pampered it LOL. I think Snowrose's Pep ob var is much prettier. Maybe mine will be prettier after some time outside this summer. I have the Pep ob, non var , and love it .

Thumbnail by sallyg

here's a run of the mill aglaonema. It's crazy enough to be blooming right now it a school media center, talk about taking abuse.

Thumbnail by sallyg

WOW! The plants in this thread are fantastic! The begonia Color Vision looks very much like my "Tornado" rex that I got at HD recently. I've been thinking about a Shrimp plant, but after seeing the variegated one, well. . . that's the kind I HAVE to have now! I also am now wanting a Joseph's coat. The Croton Andrew is just amazing. Looks like it would be hard to grow, and keep the variegation (?) Is it? The Florida Beauty just stuns me too. If the aglaonema wasn't so expensive, I'd definitely order one of them too. But the prices - it blew me away. All the plants posted are so HEALTHY looking! Looks like I have to do a bit more house plant shopping! I thought I was weird because I seem to be the only one of my plant loving friends who is really "into" the variegated ones. Now I know I'm far from alone.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.