All Things Variegated

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I will pay the postage just for you all to get them.....I will ship them out and they can send me a few leaves of AV's they have in exchange for me sending
the plants...it all comes out in the wash anyway...but i really would love leaves from anyone who wants plants...they could just send me a check for 4.00 a plant for however many they order along with just 3 or 4 leaves from any av standard or otherwise...I can look up their addresses.....now, before I spout off, i think I better call the nursery tomorrow and still be sure she is willing to do this for me.....she did ask me not to buy everything they got in....as she would rather order separately for me and then an order for the nursery....
How does that sound???
I will dmail you or post here tomorrow after I talk to her....don't want to send anyone on a goosechase...
thanks
gessie gail
(I love this name)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I guess I need names, addresses, and how many plants of 'mini' violets you all may want. They are all minis, right Gessie Gail (aka bettygail)? Variegated minis are what I want. Please read Bettygail's post (3352869) carefully. How wonderful is that? Everyone, send me your wants, number of plants, address, etc. via Dmail and I will compile the list and send to bettygail so as to try to make this as easy as possible for her. Let's also try to be as generous as we can for her thoughtfulness. I think we should post a deadline. You name it, bettygail......you will need to Dmail me your address so we know where to send the check, money order, etc. Do you have a paypal account, betty? Would that work for you as well or not?

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I have a pay pal account but don't know how to use it....Let me call the nursery this morning to double check this.....People can just send me a check or money , etc....I will post back when I talk to her>>>thanks, Snowrose....

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Great, bettygail...

What do you all think of this colorful houseplant? Stromanthe Sanguinea 'Tricolor'

Grow indoors in bright light or outdoors in shade for the summer. No direct sun.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/27902/

Thumbnail by Snowrose
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I am just a nut for any variegated foliage...that is awesome!!!!
I just talked to Kimber at Gill's nursery...the scoop: They ordered all standards this past Monday and won't be ordering Av's until the week before Mother's Day (they get them overnight when they do order)...she promised she already had my telephone number in her wallet and would call me before she placed the Mother's Day order. At that time she would be happy to place an order for me. She reported that the reason they didn't order the minis this week was because they still have some (trust me when I say I picked out the best)....
Therefore we have plenty of time for people to speak up and say how many they want. I will be so embarrassed if, for some reason, they don't come from Optimara. (she assured me she would order from Optimara).
So........that is all I know for now...I may give up gardening outside entirely and just keep house plants from now on. We had a storm this morning with 55mph.....it is too discouraging in this south Texas weather. No wonder people don't have pretty yards around here!!!! I don't have a single bloom on my bougainvilleas, hibiscus or jatrophas left on each and every plant............bummer.....

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

*You're* the one that got those croton cuttings...I was soooo jealous, bettygail!
Glad they went to you though, if not me;) !!!

Are you starting a nursery or something?!?! (Ü)

Beautiful plants, everyone!!
That 'Ramblin' Amethyst' is something else, Snowrose!!

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

I'd love some minis! With variegated foliage or very dark foliage, or other unusual foliage ;~) I love the red flower on one of yours, bettygail.

Lana

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Tell SnowRose....she is going to keep up with how many people want....they are 4.00 each and I will pay the shipping because i want everyone to have what i have...I am being selfish with mine because I fell in love with each and every different mini..every single one has variegated foliage. In return, just send the check to me....(dmail SnowRose)
and put in some leaves of AV (standard, etc.) or any pretty foliage plant cuttings..they don't have to be rooted at all...
Yes, Nan....I didn't know I was going to be one of the lucky ones...I just asked and they appeared at the post office...can you imagine how quickly I dmailed Dutchlady1????
gail

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

Surely you're not paying shipping from you to me?! That's not right.

Lana

(Zone 1)

Gail originally said she would pay for postage for shipping and that we could just send her leaves from some of our plants for her to propagate. I suggest we all reimburse her for the amount of postage and send the leaves to cover her packing supplies and boxes.
To me, that would only be fair. She would be out quite a bit if she pays postage for all those plants being shipped.

Lin

p.s. Now, don't get mad at us Gail for discussing this. You are one of the most generous people I've ever had the priviledge to come in contact with, but we all want this to be fair.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Let us do this......don't anyone contact SnowRose.....what if the nursery says that all they can get in is what the supplier sends. One never knows for sure. I will be there when they come in. If they have a lot of good variegated like I got last time, I will buy and then get on this thread and let people know about it. This is making me nervous because it is a lot work for SnowRose and I can't guarantee what the nursery will actually do.....
Then we can decide what is fair....sound OK to everyone....I hope SnowRose sees this post.....I will dmail her and ask her to read these posts.
I appreciate everyone causing me to think through about a promise I might not be able to fulfill.....
gessiegail

(Zone 1)

Sounds Great to me Gail! Hey! I see you changed your User name to "GessieGail" ... way to go! That is a fitting name for you since you are becoming so involved in growing AV's and other Gessies! Love it!

Will wait and see what if any, pretty, variegated AV's the nursery gets in. You can post photo's if you are able to get any!

Lin

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Gessiegail - That sounds like the way to go. I surely wouldn't have minded the "work" but I think it will be better all around to wait and see what you are able to come up with and go from a firm footing. So very nice and thoughtful of you in any case and your generousity goes without saying. This could have spiraled out of control for you and to ship plus pay for it would have been way too much. Okay, let's put this on hold and see what happens.

Another topic. I know this isn't a houseplant but I thought I would just 'sneak' it in. I saw this variegated Iris the other day and had to have it. I like it for it's color and form and thought it would make a nice addition to the garden. No need for bloom but would be some icing on the cake when it does. Anyone grow this? Do you like it? What has been your experience with it?

Thumbnail by Snowrose
Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

That's beautiful, I love it. Have read about them but don't remember any info.

Lana

(Zone 1)

That's an Iris? The variegated foliage is Beautiful! I agree, when it blooms, it will just be icing on the cake! Do you know what color the flower is?

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Snow,Where in the world did you find that? I love it.Now I am curious too what the blooms will look like.
Nancy

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

This Iris pallida 'Aureo Variegata' get lavender-blue blossoms that are fragrant. If it blooms this year which I doubt, I will take some photos. You can really see this plant even at a distance. I am going to get more so if anyone wants some, let me know and I can send a fan or two.

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

OOOH, me me! Check my journal to see what you'd like in trade. Some things are too new to divide but just ask.

Lana

(Zone 1)

I'm not sure Iris will do well in my area, but wish they did ... it is Beautiful and I bet the Flowers just make it even more so! Oh ... and Fragrance to boot ... What more could you ask for? Maybe a Whole Field of them blooming at once!

Lin

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Lin, I don't really know if this type of iris would grow well in Florida. I'm sure Louisiana iris would.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

That variegated Iris is too outstanding!!!
Lin, Snowrose is right....I have been talking to a member of DG who is a commercial grower of Louisiana iris and another kind(i can't think, but not bearded).....she says they grow great in Houston...which would mean great down here...they need to be kept somewhat moist. I told her that i go to Houston all the time and could i come to her house...she is working on a website now....(which she gave me and is in a beginning stage)....She lets go of the Louisiana iris in October. I will dmail you her name as I can't remember her user name.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Last year, I bought 3 Variegated irises from Home Depot for $ 10.00. (two with yellow & green stripes & 1 with white & green stripes; since I already had a white striped one.) The blooms are very pretty, medium purplish blue. Very happy with them here in PA. Zone 6.

(Zone 1)

Gail: You probably think I'm nuts .... I just answered a d-mail from you and I didn't have a clue what you were talking about or who the person was ... now I know! LOL. I just came in from working outside all day, mowing the lawn, weeding flower beds, edging etc. Oh yeah! And potting up some beautiful AV leaves I got in trade from Snowrose! And potting up some Scented Geranium cuttings I got from Byndeweedbeth. So ... I've been busy all day!

Thanks Gail for the lady's name! I might just have to get some Iris for my Garden! I know they grow great in Virginia where I was born and raised, but I've never seen them down here in Zone 9a, Florida. But, I want to definitely try them!

Well, I need to get in the shower. DH came home and fixed his own dinner, leftovers. I am so Blessed, he is so easy to please!
And, so capable of doing things himself! He is a really Great Guy! Guess that's why we've stayed married 38 years!

Lin

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

I have one of those hubby's too, Lin. It is great! :~)

Lana

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

had to go back and find this thread....I have no idea what this houseplant is...it grows so fast I just keep dividing....does anyone just know perhaps what family it belongs to?

Thumbnail by gessiegail
(Zone 1)

Gail: That's Croton 'Andrew' - Here's the Plant Files Info:

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/63062/index.html

I got three of these last year and just sent two out in trades. Now, I don't see them in the stores anymore! Isn't it a pretty plant!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I had no idea it was a croton.....................gee, it is even prettier now.....I will keep dividing and people will love them....
it is fun when you stumble on a plant you just love......found this at Lowe's and paid no attention to it until it outgrew its' 5" pot.....
Lin, I don't have it in any sun??? it sits out on the covered front porch with strong indirect lighting....should I get brave and pot some up with other plants in a big container in the sun....will the color change??

(Zone 1)

Gail: If it gets full sun, the color will probably just get a bit lighter. Mine is in the screen enclosure and in full sun there, but the sun is filtered by the screen. May be way too hot in the Texas Summer Sun .... they like water too. The Croton's that have the colorful leaves seem to get brighter in color, the more light they get.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I posted this new plant, Euphorbia cotinifolia, 'Burgundy Wine' in container gardens...........I know it doesn't belong on this thread, but it gets over 2 ft. tall and blooms a butter-yellow all summer....if I didn't have so much wind, I would love to plant mixed containers everywhere...

Thumbnail by gessiegail
(Zone 1)

Very neat plant! Is Euphorbia a Succulent type plant? I bet it looks great in a mixed container planting. Does it take full sun? I bet it is gorgeous with that Burgundy foliage and yellow flowers! Hope you will post a pic when it is in bloom!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

This says it is a tender tropical.....I know there is a tree called this that is hardy down to zone 9, but this is a dwarf shrub and only hardy in zone 10 and 11....so it will need protection in our winters....

Northern California, CA(Zone 9a)

Both are lovely plants Gail, but that Croton is To Die for! Nice one.

I just noticed that my Variegated Porcelain Berry Vine 'Elegans' (Ampelopsis brevipedunculata) leafing out. It's another very cool plant. http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/58738/

And the Wattakaka vine I picked up is pretty cool too - just really starting to break dormancy. It's a hoya cousin I believe. http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/132166/

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

.Your variegated porcelain berry vine is a better 'to die for' plant......

Where in the world do you find such a variety of plants, begoniacrazii????

This message was edited Apr 23, 2007 8:44 PM

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Graptophylum 'Mentha'
she is a baby but will start growing!!!!

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Beautiful graptophylum.... I also like everything I see in the background, too. Lots of variety. Is this your covered porch area?

Variegated zebrina 'Bolivian Jew" has small dainty leaves about the size of your pinky fingernail.

Thumbnail by Snowrose
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Snowrose,I think I have been growing cutting flowers for too long!!! That is magnificent...I am not young but this is my first year to take an interest in both the gesneriad family and tender tropicals and houseplants. I have always loved cane begonias, etc...
I had to cut everything in big pots back on my porch...those strong winds whipped everything down.....my impatiens, alternantheras, etc.....they will come back....
I have to remember variegated zebrina 'Bolivian Jew'...such a winner of a plant!!!
When plants recover you know I will have out my camera....I do have a wonderful pink jatropha in bloom right now.....I am mainly ordering plants to get a start....then I love to propagate...
edited to say those benches are where I grow babies and divide, etc....maybe by next year I will have a greenhouse...40+mph winds don't make a very good greenhouse!!! (LOL)

This message was edited Apr 26, 2007 5:19 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.