Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I guess I just think that the more the merrier......that's ok
gail

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

See my post in Garden Talk.

xxx, Carrie

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Will do.

There's a huge difference between what any of us do and what teams of professionals can accomplish with endless talent, money and resources. It's simply not fair, in my way of thinking, to see us struggling and then see posted photos of major feats of gardening.

I happen to be an excellent cook but wouldn't want someone posting a photo by some famous TV chef downplaying what I've done because they've "seen" better.

Tomtom does the work, has the sight and imagination and the maintenance. I find that so admirable. It absolutely wasn't Tomtom that I was referring to regarding the thread that once was mine.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

if someone is unhappy, rather than fighting on a thread, why don't you write Dave and tell him it was "YOUR" thread....

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Why not leave this thread to Tomtom who originated it and let's leave it at that. When I said "mine" I simply meant I started it.

My sincere apologies Tomtom. Let's see more of your beautiful creations.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I wonder how many of you realize that I could not possibly create all the combinations of plants and places that I photograph? I take these photos to share the things of value that I see as I go along thru life. Things which I think are special, things which should be shared and used to inspire myself and others. After all, how many cooks have created new dishes? Not many when you consider all the cooks on the planet. These are recipes I am sharing. Use them as you will, don't resent the cooks who put them together.They are gifts, accept them please.

This not my beautiful house, I just happened to be walking by and I though it might bring a smile to someone beside me, a sigh of 'how beautiful'>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Middle River, MD(Zone 7a)

TomTom...... I'm at a loss for the perfect adjectives or expressions of great joy !!!

Your gardens/containers/planters are beyond breath taking..... I just can't imagine viewing them in person..... and all at one time.....

My goodness - you are so talented.......

I'm headed back to look and take notes............

Here in Maryland - I always see what we refer to as "ornamental" kale in the fall of the year......... I have NEVER seen kale as beautiful as this....... It's beyond incredible...... !!!

I'm in zone 7 - Maryland......... good golly - I'm also off to investigate how early I could plant flowering kale in this area.....

Thank YOU.... Thank YOU.... Thank You..... for sharing your beauty and creativity - I feel as though I've just been on vacation....

janice

Thumbnail by wallis104
Middle River, MD(Zone 7a)

dale_a_gardener - A sincere THANK YOU to you for sharing the incredibly beautiful "recipes"........

I've sighed and smiled and most sincerely appreciate the gifts you've shared as you journey through life's pathways....

janice

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

OK, Tomtom, I bought an ornamental kale - now what do I do? It looks like a vegetable!

xxx, Carrie

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

pirl,
Many thanks ,don't let that worry you,please.
------------------------------------------------

dale,
Your pics sometimes help me to form some ideas of combination.
As a plant euthusiast I enjoy the processes of growing plant just as much as
the outcomes.
-------------------------------------------------------
wallis,
I do appreciate your comment .
In my zone, I sow kale seeds at the end of July and plant them in the end of Nov.
when they have colored.
Otherwise I buy them at stores when they have colored.

The upper pic shows some twenty kales grown short before coloring in a tray about 12''x14''.(See also the lower pic)
When you grow them short without using chemical dwarfer,you might better grow them fairly thick as in this pic.This way you can get the cutting -type kales in the form of cascade finally .
----------------------------------------------------------
carrie,
Let me have a look at it .
O K 's are originally kales LOL

Tomtom

Thumbnail by Tomtom
Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Wonderful!!
:)

Susan

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

tomtom I've grown kale from seed many times but mine are never as beautiful as those in your picture. Do you know what cultivar that is? It is so pretty in a pot. I never considered using kale in a pot. I do love all the ideas I get looking at everyone's pictures here on DG. Thanks so much for sharing.

And many thanks to you dale for all those beautiful pictures you take the time to snap and share with us. I am so glad you carry your camera with you wherever you go. We DG'ers benefit greatly from seeing the different landscapes, container arrangements, etc. that you post here. Thanks to you also for sharing.

Patty

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

OH, Tomtom, each of those blooms is an individual kale? (duh....) No wonder it doesn't look like mine. Do you rip off the lower leaves?

This link:
http://www.parkseed.com search "sunset kale" and "white creme kale". They say to tear off the bottom leaves and "support the heavy stems" as they grow.

xx, C

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

I have never ordered from here but there are pictures of many different flowering kale.
http://www.seedman.com/flowcab.htm

I have never heard the term 'grown short' before (I seed mostly vegetables) so I will have to go investigate.

Tomtom - what variety is in your picture? Thank you for posting the container and the end result it helps to understand.
-Kim

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Susan ,
Thank you a lot.

-----------------------------------

Patty,
So glad to hear that you've grown kale from seeds lots of times.
Kales, whichever species, color beautifully when day gets short and the tem gets lower. That might be why they don't color beautifully enough in the warmer zones.
when they start to color you mustn't fertilize them.
Since they don't dislike deep planting, you might better plant them the way of flower-arrangiment.

---------------------------------------
Carrie,
Yes,each of them is an individual kale. I don't rip off the lower leaves. The Parkseeds drection is for the kale for cutting, and you've got to prop them.
In my way, they come to fall down naturally as is shown in the pic.

----------------------------------------
Kim,
The closest equivalent you could obtain in the US is probably "Sunrise". If you grow them according to the direction therein you'd get robust and tall kales.
In my style they finally turn out to form a cascade.

Tomtom

Thumbnail by Tomtom
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

TomTom,

Since you probably won't get to Florida to see the sites, I made a 'slide show' for you (and others) to enjoy> http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/739026/

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Enjoyed the visit! Thanks, dale!

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

Dale, I think this solanum/silver dichondra combo just gave me the inspiration for my next project---thanks---and thanks for the virtual stroll!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

very nice, Dale. When I get the pictures developed, I will post a virtual visit to Omega wellness hippie center. (????) We went there for a workshop with Bobby McFerrin, but I took rolls and rolls and memory cards full of pictures of the grounds.

xx, Carrie

Thumbnail by carrielamont
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

"me thinks i thanked dale on his own picture set!!!"

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Dawg, you welcome.

Pigeon, gray and blue work well together.

Carrie, Hippies?? Still?

GG, yes I know.

San Francisco, 1989>

Oooooh--pretty! What's the blue flower?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Browallia, see it here> http://davesgarden.com/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=browallia&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

Does very well in CA and should be more widely planted. It does best in container in warm climates. That photo was on a wind swept street in Pacific Heights in a window box.

Thanks for the info! Yes, I see that it likes moist soil and shade, both of which are in very short supply in my yard. But I think I could grow it in one of the containers in my front courtyard. Love those blues! I'll put it on my wish list for next year.....

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Dale - yes, hippies, but wealthy enough to afford massages etc. My favorite ones were the businesspeople getting back in touch with their roots or finding themselves or whatever by working for free all summer!

xxx, Carrie

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Thank you,dale,

What a beuty !! I enjoyed all your photos very much.

Tomtom

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

TomTom,

Gardens are best as a shared experience.

The spirit
that is beauty
lives there.

Question-did you refer me to this site?> http://homepage3.nifty.com/plantsandjapan/ It gives me solace.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.