My 2007 container gardening starts !

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

zone envy attack! Dale, are those current pictures?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Carrie,

The last 3 are from Mid-Feb.

From today-

This message was edited Apr 15, 2007 8:03 PM

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

argh!

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

Tomtom, your containers are stunning as usual. Your kale planter is outstanding.
Can you tell me what the white spikey plant is in the pic of box #1?

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

Post #3324638 with the pink flowering kale is beautiful. I thought the flowers of this plant ends up looking like a cabbage head. Yours appear to be trailing. Does the kale flowers do this? I have never grown them. Now I am curious to try them. Linda

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Me too. Tomtom, please add this to plantfiles;we all want to try it!

xxxx, Carrie

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

There is only 2 entries under flowering kale in the Plant Files.
I did find this: http://www.backyardgardener.com/ginsburg/column204.html
It helped me to understand the difference between kale and cabbage.
Linda

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

pirl,
I appreciate your commnet. Yes I mad it all by myself. The plant in the basket is Primula malacoides.
Red-stemmed one blooms pink green-stemmed one white.
------------------------------------------------------------
dale,
Your photos are always bautiful. I'm enchanted.
The viola you mentioned is hybridized in Japan. Could you imagine that it consists of only one plant.
Lots of new varieties are hybridized each year and inspire the gardener within.
Too bad the seeds are not available.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Liz,
So happy to hear from you again. The big white spike is a big FC,can you imagine?
In March the center of FC develops and bears yellow flowers on top.
The pic is taken just before that. I think it's far more spectacular than white Digitalis .Don't you agree?

----------------------------------------------------------------
Linda,
FC ends up just looking like what I wrote to Liz above. This pink FC grows as tall as 25inches by nature. I grew them densely in pots without using dwarfers. I'm pretty satisfied withh the result.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Carrie,
I'll add the pics soon.
I found many beautiful pics here.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/686/index.html

Thumbnail by Tomtom
OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Silene and Tulip

Thumbnail by Tomtom
OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Yellow Tulip and Viola

Thumbnail by Tomtom
OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Linda,
Beautiful color !!
Yes,it seems the same type to me ,differs in color , though.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

"white crane", currently sold out (according to Park), would be Tomtom's type, I now realize. I've been ignoring those because of Park's claim that they're indistinguishable from long-stemmed roses - makes me mad when people say things are what they're not. Long-stem roses? I can tell the difference! But Tomtom, do you prune the lower leaves as Parks suggests?

xxx, Carrie

http://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10101&catalogId=10066&langId=-1&mainPage=prod2working&ItemId=0870

This message was edited Apr 16, 2007 11:24 AM

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

carrie,
Yes, you're right!
Those treated with dwarfer might look like roses and be used in hanging baskets. Park's 'White Crane' appears to be for cutting and arrangement.
You could possibly grow kales in such a way by planting them with enough space in-between, putting a prop for each to keep it erect, and prunning lower leaves when tall enough.

Tomtom

Thumbnail by Tomtom
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I can still tell the difference! But yours are very lovely and inspiring. Maybe I'll try some this year.... I still like Post #3324638 the best - maybe it's the balance of pot to plant.

xxxxx, Carrie

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

Ahhhhhhhhh, I'm so happy you are back posting the pictures of your lovely containers, Tomtom! B E A U T I F U L !!!!!

Ursula

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Dale: That container in your post #3394203 is one of my favorites of yours (blue/white/yellow). I stole that combo idea for my window boxes this year. If they turn out as I hope, I'll post a pic. (Be a few more weeks yet.)
Deb

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Hi Ursula,
So happy you took a look at my pics.
Tropaeolum sessilifolia whose seeds you kindly sent me,have started to bud .
I'm looking most eagerly foward .
S.hookerii and Stachys phillipiana have already bloom.
Thank you so much again.

Thumbnail by Tomtom
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

TomTom, any more Tropaeolum pics?

Debin, thanks.

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

dale,
I posted them here:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/697229/

Covington, KY(Zone 6a)

Very beautiful! You have some interesting plant choices. It has such an Asian feel.

DFW area, TX(Zone 7b)

Tomtom, you have magic fingers. Beautiful, beautiful
creations. Thanks so much for sharing.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

This is not my responsibility

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

WOW! TomTom your plants are spectacular!

Tom

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

Oh, dale, those are SO nice! Lobelia and marigolds? and ??? What's the yellow trailer?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I dunno but it is so gray up here still. I squeezed as many pansies as I could per container and they're still not as flowery as you-all get them in Southerner zones. (Spellchecker is gonna ask for my letter of resignation!)

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Ima, it is dahlberg daisy, a winter annual here.

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

Oh, I know those! Thanks! Such a nice combo!

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Many thanks for your kind comments.
Here are my containers of May .

Tomtom
#1 Solanum and Lobelia in a handmade container

Thumbnail by Tomtom
OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

#2.Silene , Snapdragon and Allium

Thumbnail by Tomtom
OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

#3 Gathering containers

Thumbnail by Tomtom
OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

#4. Diascia, Tropaeolum pentaphyllum and Geranium

Thumbnail by Tomtom
SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Hi gang, we're ALL glad that TomTom is back making our container heartstrings ping with joy!

May I offer just a small tip here?. When you reference a picture in one of the posts, no need to type out the numbers of that picture in your message. Instead, go to the post where the pic is. Use the right click button on your mouse. Put your curser over the blue post numbers and click on it with your RIGHT mouse button. Choose "copy shortcut." Now go to the message box and type your message. When you're ready to reference that Post Number, click the right button on your mouse again, and choose "paste shortcut." The highlighted link will appear wherever your curse happens to be at the time.

Then, when you post your message, and people like me read it, we'll be able to simply "click" on that highlighted blue link, and jump straight to the picture you were referring to!

Please accept this tip in the helpful spirit it is intended. :D-)

Example. Lookie at TomTom's wonderful work: http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=3511667

This message was edited May 18, 2007 3:04 PM

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Thanks, gymgirl, that's a new thing I didn't know!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, GG, I'm worried about getting lost when I click your shortcut.

Tomtom, beautiful as always. I didn't know solanum is potatoes! And how do you get your dascia to flower so much?

xxxx, Carrie

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I like the door handle and latch on the storage shed, handcrafted by yourself? (Photo 1)

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Carrielamont,
Just go to the top right of the link page and click that "X". It'll close the link and take you right back to the thread where the link was posted. Voila! Magic!

Illustration of how it works:
When you click on a link and you go to that page, it's like you were reading a book, paused, and picked up a photograph to look at. The photo is just sitting in front of the book you were reading, until you "put it down," by clicking on the "X"

Hope I didn't confuse anyone.

This message was edited May 21, 2007 2:36 PM

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, GG!

xxx, C

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

another solanum>

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.