My 2007 container gardening starts !

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

TT, do you grow everything from seeds, or do you buy babies? Do you have a greenhouse?

xx, Carrie

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Carrie,
yes , I grow practically everything from seeds. Like every one of you I'm a seed addict as it were.LOL
Though I've got no greenhouse , the seedlings can be wintered with not much difficulty thanks to the mild climate.

Tomtom

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

lucky you! I feel an attack of "ZONE ENVY" coming on...

x, C

Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

i've never seen images as beauriful as the ones you post. it's hard to believe you do all this without a greenhouse. today, here on long island, in new york, it's cold and grey. my garden looks so sad.... too wet to work outside. love those containers you have made. thanks for the pictures. here is a picture from last summer.

Thumbnail by LUNDY
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Lundy, your BESV looks so happy. I had 2 last summer. My DH (in which D stands for dumb) planted one in this enormous container with a trellis containing a rose. Well, the BESV beat the rose and the clematis. It flowered into October; it tried to take over the garage and was eying the house greedily. People who came to our house kept asking "what IS that?" The second one stayed in the back with me in a small container and was pretty much pooped out all summer. I don't know what the moral is. ?

xx, Carrie

(Zone 6a)

TomTom, as usual your planters are just gorgeous!
I always look forward to seeing your photos!
Please keep posting them :)

Steven

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Tomtom, you're in zone 9b, which in this country would either be very dry (CA, TX) or very humid (the southeast, FL). What is your climate like?

xxx, Carrie

Libby, MT(Zone 4b)

Tomtom,
Love your combinations. Have you ever used half whiskey barrels? If so, how often do or would you water? I have to barrels I might use for something.

Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Carrie My black eyed susan vines were going strong until heavy winds and cold took them out. I had no idea they grew so huge. Guess they love being planted in the ground or big containers. Have you seen TOMTOMS thread on newscrete containers? What a talented person.

Thumbnail by LUNDY
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

TomTom! I don't visit this forum often as I have moved. BUT I am SO delighted to see you back and posting the wonderful things you do!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

All the plants I love and can't grow in this southern heat are in TomTom's garden.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Carrie,
My climate is very humid in summer, and extremely hot at that.
That's why we have not so many plants growing well in summer.
It's me who am envious of you, whose summer climate is cool.
I only try to grow those well that are fitted for my climate.

------------------------------------------------------
LUNDY,
your Thunbergia is simply awesome!! And so is your photo.

-----------------------------------------------------
Dig Montana,
Thank you for your kind words. My garden is so small that I haven't used whiskey barrels. Still I believe anything grows well in big containers like them.
In Japan they 're often used to plant trees therein.

------------------------------------------------------
darius, long time no see!! So am I to see you again.
Your words are always encouraging.

-------------------------------------------------------
Hi Dale,
there must be lots of people who're envious of your winter climate.
And certainly yours truly is one of them.

Today's containers.
Asperula, collinsia, Heliophila and Tulip

Thumbnail by Tomtom
Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

Tomtom,
Your containers are beautiful! What an inspiration! (Sorry if I am repeating what has already been said). I may be looking at doing more containers this year since many of my "in ground" beauties got nipped by the freeze here. Thank you for sharing. You have given me many ideas...
Lundy,
Your Black-eyed Susan is beautiful.
Thanks to all for sharing!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Tomtom,

I hope you are aware that your Papercrete thread is still flourishing!! Please visit...
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/472203/

xxxxx, Carrie

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

TomTom,

Winter is nice, summer is worst than yours, months longer. Pictures can not show you how I suffer working outside, I am old.

My feelings on a hot humid summer day--

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Hi agebhart,
Thank you so much for your kind words.
Too bad that many of your 'in ground' beauties got nipped.
To deal with the heat and cold, containers are highly fitting since they're mobile.
Hoping you'd enjoy more containers this year.

----------------------------------------------
Carrie, I'm grateful for reminding me of the thread.
I'll sure go visit it.

-----------------------------------------------
Dale, your summer must be harsh,I take it.
Still I'm no younger than you. (^・^)
In summer I don't work outside except in the morning and evening.
I'm positive I know how you must feel.(^^♪

Tomtom

Thumbnail by Tomtom
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Tomtom - your basket is so beautiful! Did you make it yourself? What is the red stemmed plant that was used to make it?

All of your containers are beautiful and worthy of any magazine.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

TomTom,

Nice Viola, cornuta hybrid?

a juniper

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Dale, anyone who voluntarily lives in Florida doesn't get to complain about it.

Tomtom, Florida is a state full of old people who have retired and people on their vacations, usually Mom and Dad and 1 - 5 kids under 15. Kids all over the country (well maybe not California) stand in the line for the school bus in temperatures below freezing and dream of going to Disneyworld in warm sunny Florida. Not all of them can, of course. I vividly remember vacationing at the brand new Disneyworld when I was little. Now it's just one of many comparable theme parks down there. Yes, they get hurricanes and other stuff like that, but when we're huddling around the fireplace because it's below freezing AGAIN and people like Dale are reporting on their tomato crop or how sweet their watermelon is, one can get rather aggravated!

xxxxxxx, Carrie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Folks, we've had maybe 7 months of winter here, and we're getting a little crazed. I apologize for my last post.

xxxxxxx, Carrie

No need to apologize, Carrie. We had it good until January 14th and then came winter. Let's hope it ends with the Sunday-Monday storm. We all want to be outside. I just came in from inspecting the asparagus bed and not one spear is up yet. Normally we get them around April 7th.

I think we're all getting a tad testy.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Yes, and how about a Sunday morning storm, because we're hoping to fly out stand-by Monday afternoon!

x,C

Good luck!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Hmmm, Cabin Fever.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Dale,

You're a very good gardener - what is that a picture of??? I love that color of pink!

xxxx, Carrie

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Those heart shaped containers are very popular around here, they are at the botanical garden over in Largo, FL>same courtyard, the wall color is a FL color, isn't it?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Flamingo pink?

xx, C

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

That seems appropriate.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Too early, stop posting! sePleeeeea?

xx, zvC

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Sorry, waiting for the rain, then I can go to work....

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Love all that pink!!!!!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

When I first saw the thumbnail, I thought it was a container plant with a lot of pink!!!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Is pink a Florida color, or what..

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Nope I like to think it's a Patty color myself . . . definately my favorite color; if I ever run into a new pink flowering plant, I don't seem to be able to resist and it ends up going home with me. I have an overabundance of PINK in my flower beds.

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

No such thing as an overabundance of pink! :-) I love all shades of it and the majority of my plants have some sort of pink tone in it. Tamara

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh you're so right Tamara; a garden can never have too much pink!!!!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I prefer yellow.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Purple shades are nice too.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Simple colors for a simple guy

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

I like those purple shades too. I can handle yellow, but you won't see a lick of orange in my flower beds. I just don't do orange at all.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.