My 2007 container gardening starts !

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Gymgirl,
Many thanks for posting a useful tip.

Carrie ,
What I did was to plant one Diascia in the fall and leave it out in a warm place.
That's all. I can enjoy it for a while.

dale,
So happy you like it. I made the shed by myself --some fifteen years ago.
The handle was hand-carved. Isn't the texture eye-chatching?

Thumbnail by Tomtom
OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Smoke tree

Thumbnail by Tomtom
OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

ha;nging basket made in last year.

Thumbnail by Tomtom
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Tomton - your creative spirit and execution leave me breathless! You are amazing.

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

I just got a baby smoke tree and was wondering where to put it. I didn't even think about putting it in a container! Thanks for the great idea! Tamara

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

TomTom,

Nice color on the handle, and the shed, and the plants and ......well done!

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, Tomtom, that's exactly what I cannot do! Any other suggestions?

Again everyone, beautiful. I remember pots and windowboxes on an island in Maine overflowing with nasturtiums the way Tomtom's (and Dale's) overflow. It's such a lush, plentiful look for us Northerners. Yet, because of the containers, it doesn't have that overgrown weed-me-please look that sometimes Southern gardens can get.

Here is a wintersowed blue pot of red and white California poppies. I was thinking of one of Tomtom's pictures of Alonsoa in a shallow pot when I sowed it. Right now it's like grass! Too thick? Every once in a while I thin a few and put them somewhere else. By the way, Tomtom, I sowed the red Alonsoa you sent me. Do you have a picture of the sprouts?

Anyway, I think Tomtom's signature look, that we all want, is thickly sown and no weeds and she never shows them when they're "unlook-at-able". :>) My carpet of California poppies looks the closest, to me, of most of what I've done to date.

xxxx, Carrie

Thumbnail by carrielamont
Port Charlotte, FL(Zone 10a)

Oh my Goodness, Gracious Tom-Tom!

Your containers are absolutely gorgeous and breathtaking! You are such an inspiration! Thank-you so much for sharing! (I just have to have some flowering Kale!)

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

Tomtom, I just realized I never thanked you for providing the helpful instructional pictures of the steps required to make your beautiful boxes. Please excuse my bad manners, and accept my belated thanks!! It looks as if you have placed a plastic container inside the box? I think I would do the same.

Last weekend I tried making some hemispheres using the papercrete recipe; I need to try to join the halves together to make lightweight concrete globes for my garden. If I am successful, I'll post a picture!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Carrie, that forest of seedlings, in the glazed pot, is Cosmos? Did you know that if you leave them all grow that the plants and flowers will end up being miniature! I have seen it at nurseries when they are growing seeds for potting up, but, never got around to seperating them. I had also forgotten about that 'process', I think I will try it with some of my seeds.

Eye candy-for those of you who don't know that means 'something sweet for the eyes to feast upon' Consume away>

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Very nice picture; wish my angelonia looked like that!!!!!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Dale,
Those are California poppies. Should I thin them? I wintersowed them. They're white linen and mikado (red).
xxx, Carrie

Harker Heights, TX(Zone 8b)

Is it okay to plant a "Dwarf japanese Mock Orange"
in a container?
A friend gave me one and i don't have
anymore room in the yard, but i have a big
terraccotta container and can place it next to my front door.
That would look nice.
I just don't want to kill the shrub.

Christine

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm wondering the same thing about many shrubs: Azalea 'Hilda Neblett', Gaura 'i can't remember at the moment', potentilla 'sunset'. I think in TX as long as it is big enough, gets water and drainage, you should be ok.

xxx, Carrie

Carrie - We've had Hilda now for about 13 years and she's a delight. Haven't tried her in a container but she is a very slow grower.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Pirl,

Hilda is now in a pot, so are gaura and pontentilla. Hope it works.

xxxxx, Carrie

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

dale

What is this? http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=3512259

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Tropicall Hibiscus, forgotten which cultivar, has a name tho.

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Pirl,
Thank you so much for your encouraging momment.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
zone 5 girl,
Extremly happy to hear that my container is of some use to you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Carrie,
Your baby califorinia poppies are look -at -able enough,believe me.LOL
I do love such a view too.
They look like they'd get thinned out sooner, though.
This is young Alonsoa.

Thumbnail by Tomtom
OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

KatG,
So happy that I'm of some help. Thanks.
----------------------------------------------------
imapigeon,
Oh, it's quite all right. 'S my pleasure that I could be of some help.
Looking eagerly forward to seeing your recent work posted.

-----------------------------------------------------
dale,
Valuable tip! They really look that way, I agree.

Here are my recent containers.

Thumbnail by Tomtom
OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

'Garden bride`

Thumbnail by Tomtom
OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Cosmos 'Seashell'
It is 15 inches high.

Thumbnail by Tomtom
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Tomtom-

I thinned them (my beautiful poppies) yesterday. They had stopped looking green and lush and had started looking yellow here and there and getting rowdy with each other, fighting for sunlight. So I carefully thinned about one-third, transplanting them to a little pot just in case they live.

Do you sow directly into the final containers? Or start in little pots and move up? At what age/size do you plant out into the containers? Because the annuals from the stores are so pot-bound and sold in multi-packs; it's hard (at least for me) to squeeze enough into a container to look as thickly planted as yours or dale's. That container of sown-in-place Calif. poppies is the only thing I can remember looking that good of mine. The climate has a lot to do with it, I think. Either that or it's me, and if it's me, I'll explode or something.

xxx, Carrie

Delhi, IA

Oh the ideas I don't glean from all of you. Simply wonderful stuff.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Obviously not talking about me! I'm one of the gleaners, not a gleanee.

x, C

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Carrie,
I'd hope your C.p 's would recover soon. I think you7d get better tips from those living in the same climate. As you point it out, the climate has a lot to do with it.
The only thing I could say is that since poppies tend to dislike transplanting you might better sow directly into the container or sow more than you need there and thin some out later.
The season also has much to do with September in my climate. You could find value tips about sowing in the forum of germination . Best luck!

Tomtom

Thumbnail by Tomtom
OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Oxalis trianglaris

Thumbnail by Tomtom

Tomtom - you are so inspiring and your projects are all so wonderful. It's so grand to see your work. Such pleasure for all of us who aspire to be more like you.

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

pirl,

How sweet of you!
I'm always inspired by all the member's thread in Dave's,too.

Thank you.

This message was edited Jun 18, 2007 9:23 PM

Thumbnail by Tomtom

Do you have many clematis plants, Tomtom? I feel, when they're in bloom, they make us all look like great gardeners!

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

pirl,

Yes, I'm Clematis-happy,I confess.LOL
I have about 40species in my nallow garden.
They are alomost early summer bloomer.

Tomtom

Thumbnail by Tomtom

Is that Chionanthus with the first clematis in your last post? I just saw it for the first time and loved it. Is the last one Texenis Duchess of Albany?

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

pirl,

The left one is Jackmanii`Semu' and last one is Texenis `Odoriba'.
I love both of them.

Tomtom

They are wonderful. Have you grown 'Oshomiro'?

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

pirl,

I've never grown Omoshiro , but it's really beautiful Clematis.
http://www.clematis-nursery.co.uk/clematis-omoshiro-.jpg

I have to put it in my want list .

Thank you

Tomtom

A friend sent it to me and I'm anxiously awaiting for it. I only hope I can do as well as you with placement.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Tomtom and pirl, why don't you join us all on the container gardening thread that pirl started ...........now on the second thread.....we would love to have you all......

I'd love to return to my own thread but, as you know, I meant for it to be containers WE created by ourselves and not the work of professional landscapers.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oooooh, Pirl. That's a bit harsh.

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I hear ya, pirl!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.