Thumbnail by claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

More of the Yulan Magnolia

Thumbnail by claypa

One more...

Thumbnail by claypa

Here's an ancient Magnolia x soulangiana held together with steel cables..

Thumbnail by claypa

but it's worth the effort.

This message was edited Apr 2, 2007 11:27 PM

Thumbnail by claypa

A longer shot

Thumbnail by claypa
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Scott,
A magnolia outside a Mc Donalds and a BP? That itself is worth a picture!
That White Rose gives me a glimpse of the future of my newly planted White Rose , from last year's planting. It's still just a baby. But that flower is gorgeous!

Peoria, IL

Just checking back through this quickly before work. More great pictures and intriguing varieties!

Quoting:
2¢ (£0.01 or 0.015€) to who came name the backup singers in the pic

Looks like Pterocarya fraxinifolia? Seems to be flowering at the wrong time though.

Regards,
Ernie

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Exactly right on both counts, LHDP.

Everything is getting way too early a start, and with tremendous overlap. Dogwoods ahead of crabapples, viburnums on top of redbuds. It's nuts.

Oh, yes, those are blooming too.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

So, how did all of the Magnolias and other flowering trees fare with the cold weather? Did their blossoms get turned to brown mush or did the blooms escape the cold?
Thanks,
Mike

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

If a picture paints a thousand words...

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Last night's low was about 27F. Some things are showing some real freezer burn on new foliage. My dawn redwood looks really bad. The Japanese maples too. Clethra barbinervis was wilted lettuce first thing this AM. Other things took longer.

On a positive note, it didn't get as cold as they predicted, and damage was less severe than I expected. On a negative note, tonight's low could get to 18F. Saturday night's: 20F. Sunday a little warmer, but below freezing. Easily twenty degrees below normal through the next five days, and setting record lows on each day.

In another thread, I'll show a few pictures of things that look okay so far.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

What a sad sight.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away...

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Now it looks as if they're here to stay...

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

wow.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Such a shame. Darn weather.
Mike

Here's Joe McDaniel, still toughing it out after one night at 30ºF and one at 28ºF (that's -1.1ºC and -2.2ºC for the unreconstructed).

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

No brown mush here (not like as usual!) . . . 16° today

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

What is that, Resin, some kind of filter that paints your British sky blue? Nice mag. shot, too.

36F outside right now. 25F last night, and I'm in an urban heat sink. This AM on my way to work, the freeway was closed for 20 minutes while they brought the salt trucks out to de-ice the I-275 bridge over the Ohio. I stopped on a section of road that was on a tilt and proceeded to slide from a standstill from the right lane to the left shoulder.

Scott

Scott

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I don't much care for the pink ones (there's so many around here), but I gotta say the yellow ones are quite stunning.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

What would you say if I said I loved them all??

Peoria, IL

Scott,

Quoting:
I stopped on a section of road that was on a tilt and proceeded to slide from a standstill from the right lane to the left shoulder.

This I would have liked to see!

Regards,
Ernie

Thornton, IL

Scott - I bet that woke you up LOL

OK, gotta keep our southern folks happy...more 'Butterflies' (pre-big freeze).

Same blossom in plan view...

Ever have a 'Butterflies' land in your face?

One more.

"Here's looking at you, kid."

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Those are beautiful! I may look into ordering one from ForestFarm. Those are a hybrid between the native Cucumber Magnolia and an Asian Magnolia?

Thanks, Chad...but you shouldn't have to ship this plant cross-country. I'd be surprised if you can't find it lot more locally.

'Butterflies' has M. acuminata and M. denudata parentage, and probably named selections of each species. It is plant patent #7456, so one could look it up and get the precise info.

It is a great plant, and it will be big.

Ann Arbor, MI(Zone 5b)

OK so I want to know, did all the later magnolias get hit in southern OH and KY? What do they look like post big freeze ? It is 24.6 F right now on my new weather station (one of the positive things about this awful weather was to make me get a fancy $34.99 max/min indoor outdoor weather station from HD). How low are you guys down in KY going?

Fortunately Butterflies is tight in bud here and won't bloom in my new garden for at least 3 weeks based on how cold the weather is looking.

And I am *Cool* with that.......................................

Yes, the "later" magnolias had an early cotillion. They came out all tarted up, made their splash, and then got blasted. Doubt there'll be any fruiting structures on any of them.

I got as many pics as I could, but the best show occurred during my week-long illness so I missed a bunch. There's always next year...

As you might imagine, soft brown dishrags hang from most magnolias. I got 21ºF (-6.1ºC) last night, but any color I had left was lost to the 26ºF (-3.3ºC) on Friday night when the viburnums took it on the chin, too. And, we had half an inch of snow Friday afternoon to boot. Temps are now going to be headed back up to seasonal norms by midweek.

So, quitcher b*chhin. Sounds like you'll get to enjoy most of your spring display. AND, how bad can it be to look forward to a visit to the ORV in April? Auslanders usually have to pay for the privilege.

Here was the last 'Joe McDaniel' standing...compare with its happier condition (posted Apr 6, 2007 at 10:20 PM). Notice foliage finely fried.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

This Elizabeth Magnolia was planted three years ago now. I know she isn't as big and beautiful as some of the beauties you guys posted, but isn't she cute flowering now?

Thumbnail by magnolialover
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Here's another one close up.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Here's Ann, just starting to flower.

Relish their sweet beauty. I always enjoy a spring repeat when I get to travel north.

Truly,

VicariousValley

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

VV loved your wonderful Mag. Jane photos and captions.

Such a difference in timing. Here is a photo of Jane in my yard, Has been in bloom about two weeks and still going strong. I really like the fact that it shows occasional blooms all summer. I ordered Butterflies earlier from Greers in OR. Should arrive this weekend or at the latest next week. It is to replace Elizabeth that got stepped on and broken completely off about 3 Inches above ground Not by me!!!!!

Thumbnail by rutholive
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Hey Ruth, my Elizabeth got partially snapped off by a dog I was abbysitting about 4 years ago now. I asked in master gardening class if I should just trash it, everyone said, set it aside and see what happens. Well, it is turning out to be a wonderful tree anyway.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.