I had my Magnolia shoes on today...

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Thanks all for the kind words -- we know who the real photographers are. I'd be happy to be the tour guide for anyone who wants to come enjoy these fine plants.

I think I know where to find 'Coral Lake'; I just have to get to it before the flowers drop, and that'll be next week most likely. All this 80ºF (26.7ºC) weather is accelerating everything through its bloom cycle much too rapidly. Having to sit home with a fever and the croup isn't helping the matter any, either.

ML in Oregon:

I'm not sure I even know what you mean by a digital painting. You are welcome to produce one from that, and show me.

I think my grandparents lived on Elmwood Avenue, on the corner with Park in a two-story white frame house, just a block off University Avenue. It was a huge world to a little kid from small town central KY.

So you like pasture shots with magnolias in them? Hmmm...what do we have?

If you squint real hard...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Thornton, IL

Ahh now that I like VV, arachnids! Sorry to hear that you're feeling poorly. Get well soon.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Viburnum, the "spring crud" is the least hailed illness. It always seems that just as the weather warms, I end up with something, as well.
A digital painting is something where someone who takes a nice picture can actually, with the help of PhotoShop, can turn a photographic work of "art" into a painting. A gallery in Oregon had this painting in the window, I walked in and I started talking with the shop owner about this type of technology. I had a photograph of a Casablanca Lily in the rain, a very gentle rain and it was really nice, so I had it turned into an acrylic painting , on canvas and everything. It's hanging up in my living room, very life-like. It's actually really cool. I'm not an artist like that, and this way, I could be.
I was just in your neck of the woods yesterday. Ate at the Hubbard Avenue Diner, very close to the old stompin' grounds. If you came to the UMRU you'd be able to take yourself on a little tour, it's in Madison, Wi, you know? That and Stonewall Nursery.
You've got me thinking I stink at taking pictures ;0), or yeah, I need a new camera, yeah, that's it.
Really, I couldn't be happier, magnolialover at the start of magnolia season.

Eau Claire, WI

I've squinted extra hard and can make out two thoroughbreds in the background. One is in foal, but not sure about the other. ;)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Today's "Jane."

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent

If Kevin or Lucky or Sofer were here, they'd tell you the other is in estrous.

Her bridle reads: Steel Magnolia

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Why are so many vets tree fanatics?

Scott

Trees don't bite, scratch, or kick.

Or poop on you.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I understand now.

scott

Ann Arbor, MI(Zone 5b)

Well, how about some more magnolia lovers pictures. I adnit it, I am a magnolia addict. Can someone point me to recovery?

Magnolia 'Ricky' (or is it 'Rickie'), Scott Arboretum, Swarthmore PA, 2003

Thumbnail by david5311
Ann Arbor, MI(Zone 5b)

Flowers

Thumbnail by david5311
Ann Arbor, MI(Zone 5b)

One of the 'Little Girls' not sure which

Thumbnail by david5311
Ann Arbor, MI(Zone 5b)

Magnolia denudata, Scott Arboretum

Thumbnail by david5311
Ann Arbor, MI(Zone 5b)

Magnolia Elizabeth, Chanticleer

Thumbnail by david5311
Ann Arbor, MI(Zone 5b)

Who cares if the flowers are pale primrose rather than saturated???? They are beautiful....

Thumbnail by david5311
(Zone 6b)

VV,

Your photo looks like Magnolia salicifolia to me. M. slicifolia has typically 6-9 tepals, but can have as many as 12(which I count in your closeup photo). Also the tepals of M. x proctoriana are usually much narrower than the ones on your flower. M. x proctoriana also typically has 9-12 tepals, but can have as many as 15-18. Another sure way to tell if you have a pure M. salicifolia though is if the pedicels and leaf buds are glabrous or not. If they're glabrous then it's M. salicifolia, if not it's probably M. x proctoriana. Some M. x proctoriana do tend towards one parent or the other in flower and leaf, but usually are always intermediate in pubescence(ie. having some).

I'll see what I can do with posting photos of some of my collection. Most of the spring bloomers are already finished blooming here, or past peak and not as spectacular looking, with a couple of exceptions. But I got some photos before they finished blooming.

Thanks for the diagnostics, kman. I'll check out the glabrosity.

The Magnolia salicifolia came from Roy Klehm, and I didn't expect him to have steered me wrong. But great nurseries that are big places, well, sometimes things get sideways.

What about some Gresham hybrids? I've got one, and named after the esteemed gentleman professor from IL.

Professor Joseph C. McDaniel was a legend around horticultural circles, and inspired many that have followed him. Magnolias (among many woody plants) were a favorite, and someone named one of D. Todd Gresham's hybrids after him.

Another view, with more of the flower open, on Magnolia x 'Joe McDaniel...

So, you don't want to tilt sideways to appreciate 'Joe McDaniel'. OK, we'll make more.

How's this...and no crick in the neck.

Here's a group photo; 2¢ (£0.01 or 0.015€) to who came name the backup singers in the pic.

Hope no one's tired of a fine, dark wine red large-flowered precocious magnolia...

Again, an upshot...

I'll rest my case. Surely this belongs in more than a few landscapes.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I had my magnolia shoes on yesterday up at Dawes. The night before had been windy and rainy, so I think some of the bloom quality suffered. But I got lots of pictures. I'll spare you most of them and just post some of the more unusual or better pictures.

Magnolia loebnerii "White Rose."

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

M. salicifolia "Else Frye."

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

M. salicifolia "W.B. Clarke."

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Magnolia "Goldfinch."

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

M. stellata "Two Stones." I like the enigma stirred by the name.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Magnolia x loebnerii "Encore."

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Coming home, we noticed these magnolias planted in a traffic island between a gas station/Popeye's and a major thoroughfare. I think they're "Butterflies." And I thought only Burning Bushes, Barberries, and "Stella d' Oro" daylilies were permissable in such places.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

The flowers.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

And then today on my way home from work...

M. "Ivory Chalice" with a Little Girl.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Here's another "Ivory Chalice" at the same park. I think this is an amazing magnolia. Incredible, nice, tight, upright form. Huge flowers. Good scent. Subdued but beautiful color.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

"Ivory Chalice."

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

One more "Ivory Chalice."

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

And, again.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

And then today at home, my own sweet "Jane."

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

And "Jane" again, taken just this minute from my window as the evening light changes.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Wow! Thanks for posting all of these wonderful photos. Hopefully you can get out and get a few more photos before the cold-snap wrecks all of the blooms. It'll sure be a shame.
Thanks,
Mike

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Here are some pictures from Longwood today, this is M. stellata 'Waterlily'. No cold snap today, it was 76 F, and a nice breeze.

Thumbnail by claypa

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.