Daily pics #6

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Following a tip, I located a Bald Eagle roosting area. This is the afternoons best shot. I took pictures of nine different birds today, but it was heavily overcast and most of the shots were back lighted.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Whoops, I didn't re-size the last image before sending it. The picture was taller than my screen when I viewed it. Looks like a lot of bird feet have been perching on this tree top. NO needles on the top branches!

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
(Zone 3b)

Grasmussen - wonderful - they are so impressive.
Sounds like you were near Eagle River. We saw 6 in the trees near the bridge in-bound, and our daughter/family saw 9 at the same place, 2 weeks ago. Today, going in, we saw 2. So glad you were able to get such a beautiful photo.
Kiska

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

The second and third Eagles I photographed today were back lighted. When I got around to where the light was in the right position, I couldn't see the birds heads.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Kiska, you guessed right! First picture was across Eagle River Road from the cop shop. This picture, Eagle #4, was across the side street on the North of E.R. Police Station.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
(Zone 3b)

Eagle River sure lives up to it's name, doesn't it? We have guests flying up this week and one in particular is a real Eagle lover - hopefully, she won't be disappointed as we pass through Eagle River a couple of times.
I've never thought to stop over there and watch. Next time.
Thank you for these fantastic photos.
Kiska

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

These are Eagles #5, #6, and #7 photographed today. They were only three of seven Bald Eagles Roosting in the area behind the Eagle River Police Station. It's an area of large heavily wooded resident lots on a hill side. I could not find a good place to photograph from. We saw closed to twenty Bald Eagles today.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Wow, Gras! That's what I call a successful day! Fantastic photos, as always.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

It was rainy and dark yesterday morning, but the feeders got a lot of action. Hope you can even see the birds. First is mom and dad purple finch waiting their turn.

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Had lots of woodpeckers of all kinds.

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

As you can see, not a good picture taking day, but nice to see all the birds. Here is Mr goose standing guard down the hill by the water. Mrs is eatting the grass nearby.

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Ahhh, don'tcha love the springtime?
I'm really enjoying watching the return of the different birds.
Why is it that some photos look like photos, and others appear more like painted pictures?

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

This little Rufous teases me. He will sometimes get in my face until I raise the camera, and then zip away.

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

More distant, he looks angry.

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Yes, he appears to be frowning!

Great photos!!!!!!!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

He's a pretty little fella. I think I might have seen one of these last week, but didn't get a good enough look to be sure. I'd never seen any of them in our area, or heard of them until someone posted a pic and link to the migration map on here. If it was a Rufous I hope he comes back to visit again.

Janet

(Zone 3b)

Just beautiful photos - and, as mentioned by tigerlilly, they do look like a painting.
Grasmussen - Since seeing your wonderful photos, there's no doubt our guests this week will be visiting that area - I feel sure they will see eagles there, too.
Kiska

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

This was sent by a friend in Winston, OR the other day. A frequent visitor to her yard.

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Great photos!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Shore Lark a.k.a. Horned Lark

Thumbnail by Resin
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Twite (a small finch similar to a Redpoll)

Thumbnail by Resin
Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Great pics everyone :) Thanks for keeping me educated this week. New birds all the time!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Love the turkey. We get them here, but don't see them puffing up very often anymore. It is great fun seeing a couple toms trying to out tom each other. Their faces get blue, and red and they drag their wings. Great macho stuff.

Marlton, NJ

GREAT pics Everyone!!!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Great photos all! I wish I had something to add. I just missed a Painted Bunting today. I'll catch him tomorrow I hope. He was scared away by the darn geese that hang around under our feeders. I don't blame him. These are some tough cookies if you threaten them (which means coming anywhere near 'em). What a noise they make! They bite, too. :) Here they are, making themselves at home under the peach tree.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

WOW Tigerlily!!! Magnificent Turkey!!! Makes me hungry! HAHAHAHAHAHA

Marlton, NJ

Nice shot Deb; they do look tough!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

It hit 70' yesterday and was nice to have the windows open. At bedtime we left open our door (to the outside deck) for air. The geese were fighting and honking and screaming, then the owls started "who cooks for yooooooou"...DH said he didn't know if he could sleep with all the noise. 5 minutes later, I heard geese, owls and DH snoring, then the dog started to snore. LOL

(Zone 3b)

Hope you got some sleep:) throughout the noisy night.
Kiska

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Got a little. Hot flashes keep me awake more than wildlife. They are music to me. Haven't had a good nights sleep since menopause hit, it has been what, 6 or more years, got to be over pretty soon, doesn't it?

(Zone 3b)

You'd sure think so - 6 years is a long time.
As to birds/wildlife - I just bought my first bird-book. It's Birds of Alaska field guide and hopefully will now know what I'm seeing. Should have had a book for all these years, but, now's the time.
Kiska

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Yes, that is a good purchase. DH got me first a wildflower book. Oh, that one keeps me busy in the spring. There are sure alot of different wildflowers out there if you are looking. Then I picked up the bird book, a reptile book for turtles, and a bug and spider book for wierd bugs. And of course a mushroom book. I also got a Michigan edible plant book, for the woods. That one is really interesting. It shows the medicial qualities of plants and what some taste like. I won't be trying to eat nettle, cattail roots, or brew yarrow tea. I did try roasting dandelion roots for coffee, they smell just like coffee, it tastes like....roots. Yuck. Won't be eatting the mushrooms either, I can learn from other's mistakes, do like to look at them though.

(Zone 3b)

I agree, when it comes to mushrooms, I nearly made a huge error 28 years ago; store bought ones now are on my list.

Fellsmere, FL(Zone 9b)

Thought I would add my picture of the Red bellied woodpecker taken with my new camera through my window.

Thumbnail by Marilyn_FL
Fellsmere, FL(Zone 9b)

Also a pictures of some finches.

Thumbnail by Marilyn_FL
(Zone 3b)

Marilyn_FL; very pretty and colorful -

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Finally!! A flicker at the feeders!!

For ages I've been waiting for one of these to be close enough, and sit still long enough, for photos. This morning it's snowing (darn!) after some lovely, warm, springlike days last week. Good thing about it is, that until today, I had never seen a flicker at the feeders.

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Cparts, sometimes, even after 4-5 years, I still get them. I find that if I put one leg under the covers and the other leg on top, that helps to regulate my body's temperature.

Beautiful Marilyn. That WP looks so fresh. His colors really pop! I hear finches outside all the time, but rarely ever see them.

Tiger, what a cool bird. I've never seen one of those before. Looks like someone dotted him with a Sharpie pen on his belly.

Janet

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

The flickers really are a beautiful bird, but the color can't be seen unless they are in flight. The underwing is bright orange, and there's a red patch at the throat.

I've got a couple feathers I'll try to photograph, so you can see the brilliance of the orange. The shafts are the same color.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

o yes...look at that, under the tail feather..you can see the bright orange. another new bit of info for me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.