Daily pics #6

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Page #5 getting too long, starting page #6 . . .

Here's an Iceland Gull from this time last year to set things off

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Forgot to add, the Iceland Gull is a first-winter immature, at North Shields fish quay, Northumberland, UK

Marlton, NJ

Nice pic Resin! Thanks for starting the new thread.

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

On Tuesday afternoon, a yellow-shafted Northern Flicker sat still for me on a backyard tree.

Thumbnail by linthicum
Marlton, NJ

Very Cool! Nice pic. I can't wait to see one of these at closer range.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Linth: Loved the Pileated on the last page. We moved to a new house 3 years ago. It's only 2 miles in a straight line from our old house, and oddly - at the old house we saw Pileated WPs all the time. Here's I haven't seen a single one. Same with Red-headeds, too. Do post more as you get 'em!
Resin: I love the light on your gull. Very nice shot.
Deb

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

I've been putting out peanuts for the jays. The Stellers can stuff one into their crop and carry another away. The Scrubs can't seem to get one into the crop, but at least one has learned that with proper positioning it can still carry off two peanuts. They're a riot to watch.

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Scrub

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Marlton, NJ

Great pics tiger! I just love those Stellers!

Marlton, NJ

A new male Red Bellied Woodpecker showed up today.

Thumbnail by pelletory
Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

I wish woodpeckers would come to my feeders! I've had an Acorn Woodpecker at the suet a few times, but it just doesn't stay long. ;-(

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Tigerlily: Ditto your sentiment. I've only spotted one Red-bellied at the feeder in the past few weeks. I even put out some nice fresh peanut butter suet, but no takers. Just this guy again. The suet king!
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
(Zone 3b)

Still bird-watching this thread - loving it. Still nothing new at my feeders.
Kiska

Marlton, NJ

Have you guys tryed putting out half peanuts or penuts in the shell on an platform or dish feeder. Mine love that.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I am copying this from the Photo Forum because I especially want to share this with you folks....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Today, hubby and I went about 15 miles away to see a nest of bald eagles. I couldn't see very well with the naked eye because it was pretty overcast. We had to stand on a 2 lane highway about 200 yards from the nest. From listening to other folks observing, this nest has been there for about 10 years. It was hidden by a lot of trees though. When Hurricane Rita came through, there were many trees that fell, exposing the nest to the "general public".

I saw one adult fly into the nest. It came from behind me though and I didn't get the opportunity to focus on the bird. I got a pretty good photo of the babies in the nest. I could see wonderfully with binoculars. But not so well with the camera. I was very pleased with the photos I did get. I will go back again when there's not so much people on the road traffic, and the day is clearer, and see if I can get some photos of the adults.

This is the first time I've ever seen a bald eagle. It was a very exciting time for both of us.

Janet

The photo here is a cropped version of the one I posted in the photo forum.

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Great photos, everyone - and, Janet, what a marvelous pic and exciting experience!

Marlton, NJ

Nice job Janet! That must have been a thrill!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

:-))))))) oh yeah!!!!! It was very exciting!!

I will go back and try to get some photos of the adults. It's not that far away. Will just have to wait until I have no grandbabies here. If they were a bit older, it wouldn't be any big deal. But they are all 3 or less.

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

It was an unusual day for shooting bird pictures. I had just started to look at over a 100 pictures of Waxwings. Didn't even know what I had yet. When my tenant came to the door shouting: "There's an Eagle in the tree across the street." I got two shots standing on the front porch, before it flew. This telephoto shot, shows black tip on the tail, and near the eye. It is another young bird. In the last few weeks most of the Eagles I'm seeing in or near the city are young birds. I'm speculating, they are getting desperate for food. Its been a long very sever winter, almost no open freshwater. They are looking for an easy meal. Something to scavenge or a small pet.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Wow! Nice photo, but it is sad that they don't have enough to eat. Gorgeous shot, though! What lens did you use?

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

This Eagle is in a residential area on the edge of the down town business district in Anchorage, Alaska. When food is scarce Bald Eagles in Alaska are know to pray on Snowshoe Hares. The hares are white at this time of the year. Eagle's have been known to take small dogs and cats, particularly white or light colored ones. There is speculation the pets are mistaken for hares by the Eagles. But, my white cat will not be going out side for a while.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Mr. Cardinal found him something to snack on.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I saw our first hummingbird this evening at one of my feeders. I didn't get a photo. It looked to be a Rufous. That is the first time I've ever seen one of those here. I hope s/he comes back so I can get some photos.

I just put out 4 hummingbird feeders this past week. The azaleas are doing their thing right now. I haven't seen any on them, but I bet they attracted the lone hummer I saw this evening.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I put some raw peanuts in the shell out this morning. This Bluejay fella thought I'd done it just for him. I watch as he carried off peanut after peanut. Other birds wanted some, but he was fiercely protective of the feeder. He was really quick about coming in and grabbing and leaving.

Janet

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

I have to sit outside and watch the show when I put peanuts out for the jays. It's such a riot! The Scrubs are really much bolder and daring than the Stellers, and will often dive bomb (and sometimes actually knock it off the stump!) a bird already at the peanuts. DH was home (he's a trucker) a couple days ago, and enjoyed the show as well, though he has no real love for our feathered neighbors.

I've been tempted to string some peanuts up on fish line, just to see the surprised looks when they cannot just be packed off. Hehe

This message was edited Mar 21, 2007 8:30 AM

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh My!!! I love that idea. LOL I've never noticed the Stellar or the Scrub jays here. I hope to see those some day. They are really pretty birds.

I sat in my backyard this morning and had a blast taking photos. I worked on the area where the feeders are this evening. I added all kinds of new plants. The birds are in for a surprise in the morning.

I caught this Bluejay hopping along this morning. When I saw the photo downloaded I laughed bigtime.

Janet

Melbourne, FL

Some shots from this morning, first up- a Goldfinch.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Second- female Cardinal.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

3rd shot- female Cardinal and Doves.

This message was edited Mar 21, 2007 9:06 PM

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

4th shot- female Painted Bunting on feeder.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Marlton, NJ

Where did you get that feeder gardenpom?

Melbourne, FL

The blue feeder was purchased at Petsmart. Here is a late day pic of the yellow-rumped Warbler.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

A couple of Cardinal shots.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Second shot.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

A Blue Jay and his prize.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Mockingbird and his lunch.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Last pic, a male Woodpecker.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
(Zone 3b)

Bird watching via everyone's photos - very nice -
Kiska

Marlton, NJ

Great pics everyone!!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Great photos GP! Your yard must be like a buffet!

I was outside with one of the grandbabies today. I looked up at one of the feeders and I saw a "new" bird. (New to me, that is). It was small like the sparrow, but had a red breast. I didn't see him for but an instant. I know it wasn't a cardinal. He went to the feeder that has thistle in it and was gone. I tried to watch for him throughout the day, but never did see him. I think I've seen one of them here, but not sure which thread.

I'll keep watching.

Janet

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.