Valentine's Day gifts for gardeners

There are a total of 407 votes:

I'm traditional - a bouquet of flowers or chocolate, please!
(48 votes, 11%)
Red dot

I'd rather have a rose bush than a dozen roses
(147 votes, 36%)
Red dot

A new spading fork or other hand tool says love to me!
(27 votes, 6%)
Red dot

A simple gift wins my heart (a plant, new gloves, or ????)
(120 votes, 29%)
Red dot

Other?
(65 votes, 15%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

I voted rose bush over roses for sure! But really anything i can plant would be great.

edited to add:
Just in case your buying a Valentine's Day present for me, chocolates with that rose bush would be lovely too!

This message was edited Feb 12, 2007 4:01 PM

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

I checked Other, for all of the above. Really, I'm happy if my DH just remembers to wish me a Happy Valentine's Day in the morning before we're off to work :-) He never fails to get me a card and some other token as well though. Often it's a dozen roses, but it's his love that counts more to me.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

While I love gardening gifts any time of the year. Valentine's Day is my wedding anniversary and I want diamonds, trip to Hawaii or better yet both. LOL

Jeri

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

In my mind, it's necessary to have both dark chocolate and lots of fresh flowers, even if I have to buy them for myself, which I have to do since I'm single.

Cardiff, ON(Zone 4a)

Chocolate will always be welcome! Of course I wouldn't say no to more plants or tools either but I know I'll buy those myself anyway. DH often receives tools to add to my collection.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

*Other*

My DH calls it a "Hallmark Holiday" -- which he do not believe in
(Thinking Hallmark created these holidays just to sell cards)

so, i dont think i've ever gotten anything -- but our Anniv was a few days ago... so it all washes out in the end.
If I want flower or something -- i buy it myself and say "Thanks for the nice gift hunny"

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I ususally tell my DH, Lets just go to dinner on the day before or something or just get cards because it comes right after Christmas and his birthday is 2 weeks before Christmas, mine is 2 weeks after, so I don`t usually want anything but his affection and a card for Valentines on most years. This year we have a Nascar race coming in 2 weeks and another big Vegas nascar trip 2 weeks later so money isn`t something i care to waste for a "hallmark" day as it was said.

North Augusta, ON

I would rather a live plant than a bunch of cut flowers. But, I would be happy if Hubby even remembers Valentines day at all.....

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I've always loved Valentine's Day, but have never had a fella who did, so I really haven't counted on it in a LONG time. I'd love some fresh flowers, but a rose bush assures me of lots of fresh flowers down the line.

If GUYS only knew what flowers do to GIRLS they'd send them more!

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

"Other"

I'm really not into celebrating holidays like this one. DH is my sweetheart all year. =)

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

I checked 'other' like Ginnylynn. Just about anything would make me happy so long as there was thought put into it.

Well said Brigidlily!!!

This message was edited Feb 12, 2007 12:47 PM

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I need someone to give me a Valentine gift. Really I would like a nice rose bush pink with lots of tiny pink blooms in big clusters. Sound pretty to me.

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Every day should be Valentine's Day. I don't need the chocolates, so DH takes me to one of my favorite restaurants on Feb 14th and we always exchange cards. That's enough for me.

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

I keep waiting for Dave to get wise and add All Of The Above as an option.
I answered roses to plant over cut flowers, though of all the responses so far, I'd rather be Jeri and go to Hawaii for Valentines. Aloha girlfriend! Take lots of pictures to share with us!
carol

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

All I request is that my guy not spend $100 on a dozen roses that one day of the year!

I'm lucky, I've got a good guy, he's gotten me pots of calla lilies and tulips (my favs) Chocolates, but not that surprise variety pack that 1/3 of them are awful, and a gift certificate for a spa visit! I never know what I'm going to get but I know he will always put some thought into it and I'll love it.

(I agree w/ justfurkids...all of the above is a good answer!)

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm more of the thought that counts type of person. :)

But a plant for my garden is ALWAYS welcome!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Well Jeri, Happy early Anniversary!
I would rather have a rose bush since that at least has a chance of living- LOL, I am so new to planting! My DH does get a bit frustrated because I often buy my own the minute they go on sale and then ask him to help me dig the hole.
Crazy as it seems, I am not as big of a chocolate lover as I used to be so that wasn't hard to decide and I already have the gardening tools I need. So, a plant it would have to be...or maybe a gardening book specifically for my area.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i voted for other becuz I like to buy all my OWN presents for any occasion!
i just say hey you got me daylilies or hostas or soil or whatever i want
I always get just what i wanted that way!!! dont have to take anything back
they can just add a care :)

Stratford, CT(Zone 6b)

Other--Valentine's Day is a made up holiday my wife and I don't celebrate.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I tend to get in trouble no matter what I give as a gift to the "other half". I'm attempting a home-made personal gift that takes alot of time and effort. See how that goes. Wish me luck. ---

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

I picked a rose bush over roses - however, I couldn't grow a rose bush in my yard if I tried (too much shade). But it's the principle I voted for - I would rather something I can plant and enjoy for years to come than a bunch of cut flowers that will only last a week. That being said, I've never turned down cut flowers either. DH doesn't typically get me flowers so it is always special when he does.

Camp Crook, SD(Zone 3b)

Good for you Growin. It really is the THOUGHT that counts. As in, DH thought about Valentines day prior to entering WalMart and seeing the big banner overhead. Oh, how I dream of that day....

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

I don't really want or expect anything for Valentine's day, but if I had to pick, I would say rose bush.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

gift certificate to a cycad nursery would be nice

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

If my wife refrains from beating on me for the present I got her this year (a nice refillable oil candle thingy) I will be more than happy to buy breakfast out next weekend.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Chuckle.

Dave's name is shown as the thread-starter, but he doesn't create the voting booth questions or answers, so please don't blame him for the lack of an "All of the above" ;o)

We purposely avoid an "all of the above" - if we put that as an option, what would there be to talk about in this thread???? (And that is the real purpose of the voting booth questions, rather tha a scientifically precise measurement *grin*)

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

DH is making me a work table for my side of the garage - I can use it for floral design and also for seed sowing, etc. I have a potting table of sorts outside already so can keep the majority of the "dirt" outside . . . of course, I do indeed picture myself doing some potting inside when it's a bit chilly or wet!!!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

I was scientifically precise once ...... got over it though.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

I must have Marie's chocolate at least twice a year and I am all for any holiday that gives me a chance at getting some! (do you ever notice that it's the guys who say it's a made up holiday so they don't celebrate it.. I have never heard a female say that..unless they are repeating their husband

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

Other. I will cook Bahamian Lobster tails and bake a potato, chill the wine and serve it right on time. Chocolates are for the kids. Oh the dozen (expensive) roses?... they are just because guys DO know what flowers mean to Girls...even after 48 years of wedded bliss.

psssst! If there are any young guys out there, flowers are how you get out of BAD trouble when you're still youthful enough to get into any.

Thumbnail by kikisdad
Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

jjpm: nice to see there are others like us who aren't big on the v-day.

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Agreed, Jazzpumpkin, how very true.
kikisdad, I share your opinion on flowers, they WORK. Their glorious color, form and fragrance are on this earth to show love and glory to one and all. A gift from on high. Flowers RULE!

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

I guess I'm the odd one. I'm not into the Valentine's Day thing.

We don't make a big fuss out of any of the holidays, though
we have and do take part in obligatory holiday events like
Thanksgiving. But if it were up to hubby and I, we would eat
a pizza and hit the thrift stores. We will decide how and where
to buy one another a special gift when the moment strikes us.
;-)

Not to be a wet blanket, I don't want or ask for anything
for Valentine's Day. Often hubby or myself will ask one another
what the other wants, but every time, it's 'nothing'. Maybe we
could go out to dinner or something. We have mushy moments
all year long.

Aww.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I like things that are cute and cuddly. My sweet husband has already gotten me one thing. He said he did not want to be late this year. He got me this cute little bear that sings "Love Me Tender" and I just love it. I'm not sure what else he is getting me. I got him a card and a cute little chocolate heart. He will like that I'm sure.

Jesse

Lexington, NC(Zone 7b)

I voted for the traditional Valentine's gifts. There's something wonderful about filling your senses with a beautiful bouquet, then enjoying the pleasure of a good chocolate. Makes me feel pampered!

My DH says it's a Hallmark holiday, too, but he never fails to honor the fact that I enjoy the holiday. I try to make it special for him, too. Some of the most treasured gifts (i.e. Annals of History, Gutenberg Bible) I've given him were for Valentines Day.

On one last thought, I was in Walmart this weekend looking for that special card for DH and I noticed a gentleman waiting behind a crowd of ladies also looking at cards. Just as soon as he got the chance, he quickly reached in and grabbed a "To my Wife" card, then took off. He didn't even read it! LOL

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Quoting:
We don't make a big fuss out of any of the holidays, though
we have and do take part in obligatory holiday events like
Thanksgiving. But if it were up to hubby and I, we would eat
a pizza and hit the thrift stores. We will decide how and where
to buy one another a special gift when the moment strikes us.

Probably the most sense I have heard in a long time, most of the holidays are marketing tools, won't you buy your sweetie a card today.

Yes I bought the wife a gift for the 14th, It is neither lavish or expensive and I think she will like it. (she did not get a card).

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I voted rose bush over bouquet of roses. The year we moved in here my husband gave me 13 rose..........bushes for a birthday present. Everyone decided I was spoiled, that most people get a bouquet I get the whole d--- bush!!!!! He promised me a rose garden and I got it. Since then I've a grand total of 23 rose somethings 2 climbers, 3 shrubs and the rest are teas. Would be beautiful if the stupid Jap beetles would leave them alone. They left them alone in 2005 but 2006 was murder!

Actually all I would like for Valentine's Day is some quiet time with my hubby and some dancing.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I don't think Valentine's Day is a holiday for big elaborate gifts. A car you should discuss together. Diamonds are just a hype. A card is wonderful and sufficient

xxxx, Carrie

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I had to vote other because I want a horse. LOL. So if I get a horse I will be in Hog Heaven!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.