Phil's shadow: will he or won't he?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)
There are a total of 443 votes:

I think he's going to see his shadow - winter's here for a bit longer!
(242 votes, 54%)
Red dot

I think he won't see it this year and spring can come early
(133 votes, 30%)
Red dot

It's not winter here!
(12 votes, 2%)
Red dot

Who's Phil?
(56 votes, 12%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I'll be watching for them Rj, although we do have some rebel robins that stay all winter.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

I say an early spring. I saw a robin about 2 weeks ago and today I sat for about an hr at our Botanic Gardens and watched over 30 of them, along with a few squirrels and a woodpecker. woohoo!

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

well if we get an early spring that just means that july and aug. will start in may for texas. for that reason alone i hope we get a late spring. remember ;ast year it was in the 100's in april? is everyone hearing that this summer is going to be worse than last summer as far as drought and heat?

Albuquerque, NM

cececoogan, I bet you have more luck than you admit :)
Here in New Mexico we have had tons of snow and too much cold . I moved here for the sun and the mild winters......with my luck :).
Let's have a cup of tea and look at garden magazines and catalogs.

Horsens, Denmark

Phil? not sure, but is it a little fury animal?
Thinking about a movie named "Ground ... (somethig).. day" ?

Westminster, MD(Zone 7b)

Will be storming in Pennesylvania on Groundhog Day - so Punxie Phil won't be seeing his Shadow this year. We're in for an EARLY Spring - at least here in the Mid-Atlantic!

My Daffodils are pushing through already, same for the crocuses - And January is over - Not much of Winter left folks.

Ken

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I voted for early spring....and my grand daughter's 16th birthday is tomorrow so I have a good feeling for getting rid of winter early.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I have decided that spring will be early because winter was late. I think it works on the same principle as 'if you are late for work you get to leave early'. At least that's the way it seems to go where I work. And those who come in early are always the ones who stay late.

Anyway, I think I have to see his shadow for winter to last longer ;0) I have 54 roses on order, so I'm looking at the world thru rose-colored glasses, and just can't wait for spring. I think I'll be out there digging frozen ground and thawing it with a hair dryer if spring is late. So, therefore, it CANNOT be late.

Hear that Phil??
gram ~ a girl ~

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

i think winter will be around a little while because it got started so late this year. most parts of the country were still enjoying very mild temps until mid january.

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

Yep we went from low 70's down to freezing rain in like a week's time...the chill is just now starting to lighten up. Brrrrr. Shouldn't be like this in Texas! =)

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I hope he doesn't see his shadow! If he was here he wouldn't even venture out. Snow is the weather for tomorrow, no sun, no shadow!

Weston, WV(Zone 6b)

I wish he wouldnt predict more cold weather, but i know we just now as of the past 3 weeks starting seeing winter here for once! Which is very unusual for West Virginia! I hate to see it snow cause all i wanna do is go out and plant and tend to my plants!! But we all need winter too! Its pretty but i wish we could plant in it!!

Weston, WV(Zone 6b)

Yea if you have ever seen the movie Ground Hog Day then you know which Phil we are talking about! Although i dont remember if he was called Phil in the movie or not!
I think is just the states that go by Phil and wether or not he climbs out of his warm home to see a shadow or not.
I dont listen to him either. I wait till i see my trees budding up to tell when spring is coming! The trees always tell us here!!

Wilson's Mills, NC

We JUST got winter- snowed in these parts today. I'm already ready for spring!
And who's BILL?
We have Sir Walter Wally....

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

It's official..no shadow..an early spiing predicted..let's hope he is right! Yahooooooo!

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

58% of Dgers say he's wrong.

I voted with the majority. but...

If we are to have an early spring could i at least vote for a wet one?

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

If Phil sees his shadow we have 6 more weeks of winter.. If he doesn't see his shadow we only have a 1 1/2 months left of winter...

going away now :)

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

He didn't see his shadow. Anyone know accurate have Phil's predictions been in the past?

Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

Tom, move here to SE Texas your wish will be fulfulled! :-P

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I think he won't see it this year and spring can come early
(112 votes, 27%)

I WAS RIGHT SPRING WILL BE HERE EARLY now plez tell mother nature and jack frost cuz its getting cold here this weekend -5 for a low and 7 for a high and i cant wait 48 more days till spring!!! im going crazy here!!!!

they said windchill can make it feel like -20s whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

hurry up warm weather-ya'll could turn your fans and point that southern air this way!!!
Canada is sending us thir cold weather-----we dont want it-nope nope we dont!!

48 and counting!

This message was edited Feb 2, 2007 12:22 PM

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Good day for shadows here, not a cloud in the sky.
One meat market had a special on "ground hog" (pork sausage) here this week. I think that's the only ground hog you will find around here today. At -5º, there isn't a self-respecting ground hog coming out today.
Yes winter will end in 1½ months.
☺ Bernie

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Sunny, windy and 8*. He saw his shadow AND decided it was too cold to stick around :((

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Hey, if he sees his shadow it's six more weeks of winter. I wish! The snow around here probably won't melt till August. LOL

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I don't know what Phil saw today, but our forecast is looking mighty spring like here. 69F for Sunday and pretty much 60/40 for the next week. I may have to start taking select plants out of the green house.
Rj

Clairton, PA(Zone 6a)

Whatever predictive power Punxatawney Phil might have had is long gone -- the current Punxatawney Phil is the umpteenth in the series.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

What a sham ;)

Our state varmint Jimmy said early spring.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Phil is my hero today. Yahooo! C'mon spring! :)
Deb

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

In our climate, it's been warming up quite a bit. I'm remaining hopeful. Go Phil!!!!!

Tyler, TX(Zone 8a)

I voted for an early spring! Well, enough of old man winter. He came a month early last year so I'm hoping he'll leave a month early this year. At least let there be spring weather when there's suppose to be spring weather.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I voted for an early spring....love what flowerlady said, "I've paid my dues this winter and am ready for spring"...This is the coldest and wettest January since 1967 my farmer brother told me................yes, we have paid our dues and lost many flowers, tropicals, etc. this past month. Everyone is excited today that the sun is trying to come out but the cold is still lurking around with a high of 50 today in zone 9........south Texas......yuk!

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Oh my god..... You yanks are the funniest...... You get out a big fat squirel and ask it what the weather will be like!!!!

I get the feeling some of you take this seriously as well..... Where did you get this from?

We on the other hand use pine cones and seaweed .... a much more scientific method! lol

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

This is just one of many.
There's a little caterpillar called "Wooly Bear". It is blasck with a brown band around the middle. The wider the band, the harder the winter. The band almost covered the whole body, did you notice the snow & cold where it shouldn't be this winter, California, Florida, & so on. Myth, ?
Bernie

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

I voted for early spring because our Cajun Nutrin didn't see his shadow. It means Spring will be here for long time and summer will be short. :o)

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

It may be a rodent, but it's definitely not a fat squirrel! lol .. weighs in at 2-4 kg. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundhog

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

Kooger, i checked out your link. Apparently they are squirrels!

Quoting:
The groundhog (Marmota monax), also known as the woodchuck, or whistlepig, is a rodent of the family Sciuridae, belonging to the group of large ground squirrels known as marmots.

I have ground squirrel problems here, but none of them are 30 lbs! Mine don't seem so bad any more... LOL

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Ah...60's today...Got in the dirt big time!
Rj

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.