Decembers daily weather, Ho, Ho, Ho is near!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Well hopefully we are having our worst of it night and will be warming up.
It did get down to 33º this morning. The wind was like a knife.....and I'm still toughened-up from Ohio.
36.7 °F / 2 °C
Clear
Humidity: 39%
Dew Point: 14 °F / -10 °C
Wind: 5.8 mph / 9 km/h from the North
Wind Gust: 7.6 mph / 12 km/h
Pressure: 30.45 in / 1031.0 hPa
Windchill: 33 °F / 1 °C
I have really enjoyed the absolutely wonderful pictures this month and they so keep us in touch.....you know worth 1,000 words. Please come by and post often. And welcome Ric, and you other new posters. Welcome!!!
Here is a picture I took yesterday afternoon.
Tagets, (Texas terragon) and ???
The yellow tagets were a frequent addition to my gourmet mud pies when I was growing up in the Texas Panhandle. Those pies were two pennies more than the ones with-out.
Much Love,
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! It's a Balmy 15*! It's Dark, but no wind!
E_B thanx for the pointers on the picture takin'! I'll have to 'spearment' tonight! or I might wait for the snow to return! or maybe I'll practice & when the snow gets here I'll be ready!
Jazz that is a perfect sized buck! Really anything larger would be somewhat tough eatin'. Nice shot! And puppies are always curious.;-) I think that maybe they wanna know if you've brought something home for them to play with!;)

Well, gotta go....Garrett's ACT's are today. Have a Great day All!!!

Joey

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Sidney - glad to have you back! Gourmet mud pies, huh? Want to share the recipe?!!! I love a good mud pie!
Joey - Good Luck to Garrett!
We're having a heat wave - at 39 now! Wind chill at the beach is a bear!! Here is this morning's sunrise, I'll post a couple of pics..

Thumbnail by MySharona

another with sea oats

Thumbnail by MySharona

and sea gulls!

Thumbnail by MySharona

okay one more with sea gulls and I'm done for now~~

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 5a)

Good afternoon!

It's 29, a bit windy and cloudy. We're expecting a storm tonight. Sunrise was at 11:05 and sunset will be at 3:35 - only 3 minutes less than yesterday.

Sharon - what a gorgeous sunrise! Nothing can beat sunrise on the beach - wow :-)

Kiska - loved the moose photo - I see they can be imposing!!! What were they eating on the deck???

EB - great photo of the "ghost house" :-) What a great idea!

Sidney - love your bright pretty flowers - a sweet reminder of summer :-) The blue one is a beauty and I bet your mudpies were a hit with those yellow ones!

Have a nice day all!

Rannveig

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Good Morning! Chilly here in Maine: Currently 19 degrees

Current conditions as of 7:55 am EST

Cloudy
Feels Like: 11°
Barometer: 30.08 in and rising
Humidity: 75%
Visibility: 10 mi
Dewpoint: 14°
Wind: SSW 6 mph
Sunrise: 7:03 am
Sunset: 3:59 pm
Snow flurries developing later today.

I would prefer the 33 degrees Sugarweed is having, but thats pretty cold for Florida. DD is coming home from Tampa in 2 weeks, Florida must be getting her geared up for Maine weather! LOL
Have a great day everyone!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

19° (Wind Chill 11°)
Wind: S 5 MPH
Humidity: 65%
Pressure: 30.52 in Hg
Today's Sunrise: 7:46AM Today's Sunset: 5:16PM
(09:30 hours of sunlight)

Kelli actually this is the blooming season for many Cactus and Succullents.
I have several in bloom in the GH.

early_bloomer I love that shot. I'll have to play aroind w/ that technique.

Hey Sidney! Thanks for the Welcome!

We've hit a warming trend so those of you up North of me hold on it's coming.
43° Today but we'll break 50 tomorrow. Then the mid upper 50's thru next Friday.
The upstairs GH was 40° this morning so I'm satisfied it will hold thru another Winter
(that's where the Cactus and Sucs are blooming)
A 'bit' off topic but we went to Krohn Conservatory yesterday to see their Holiday Display.
Nice walking around in a rain forest in 80° temps (after your glasses quit fogging up! LOL)
when it's in the teens outside.
Here's a link to the Holiday blooms.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnranimals/sets/72157594411658096/

I'll leave you w/ another shot from a few days ago.
It's Arum italicum AND it is only up in Late Fall thru mid/late Spring. Temps over 70 send it back into dormacy.

Bye for Now!
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Current Conditions:
A Few Clouds
27°F
(-3°C)

Today: Sunny, with a high near 36. South wind between 13 and 16 mph.
Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 23. South wind between 8 and 11 mph.

Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 47. South wind between 8 and 13 mph.
Sunday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 29. South wind between 5 and 8 mph.

Well if anyone is wondering Ric is a bit south of me and near the river so they are usually a tad wamer. Current extended forecast doesn't have a 50 degree temp in it anywhere though one day it does say "near 50" Confused since the day before the high is supposed to be 47 and that seems "near 50" to me. So either it's gonna be 49.5 or else they really can't pin it down and are going for the punt.

Sharon Iove your beach pictures. I keep telling the dh that he needs to take me close to a beach to live.

Sugar weed.. Your picture and story sure brings back memories. We used to decorate our mudpies with violets and dandelions and sometimes clover. Those were the extra special pies too.

Pixie and Rann are probably both gonna be warmer than us today. That'll be fun to say "It's colder here than in Iceland!! or Maine!!" Not too much fun to experience though.. lol

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Sharon, loved the pink contrails!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

OK! Well, I guess I can say with confidence now which of my plants are truly cold hardy vs. the ones that are only cold hardy to about 32*. Until last night, this Colocasia and the following Banana were upright and looking pretty good. But the hardiest tropical plant can't withstand 18*!!

It's just now getting "up" to freezing. Brrr!
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

..and the Banana. The upright bit is a new leaf, the only part that didn't collapse! Yesterday it was all green and lovely!
Sad. :(

This message was edited Dec 9, 2006 11:28 AM

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

One more, my container water garden. Parrot feather under ice.

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Good morning, off to another nice day, with possible rain showers. Yesterday started out beautifully, warm and a few scattered clouds. Ended up setting a record 77° for the date. Last one was 73° in 1950. Then about 3PM, everything went haywire. . .the wind came up suddenly, blowing in a front. Didn't get a drop of rain out of it, but it sure messed the countryside up. The dust was thick from lack of rainfall and all the powdery dirt in the fields after harvest. It calmed down by nightfall. There's a thick layer of dust on everything, just waiting to be washed off by the storm coming in.

Sugar. . .Love the bright colors in your photo. . .gorgeous!

Observed at: Fresno, California
Elevation: 335 ft / 102 m

57 °F / 14 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 72%
Dew Point: 48 °F / 9 °C
Wind: 5 mph / 7 km/h / 2.1 m/s from the SE

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Auuuuugh!!! Deb. I'm so afraid to look outside myself this morning. I did drape with sheets.
Here, 56.7 °F / 13.7 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 51%
Dew Point: 39 °F / 4 °C
Wind: 8.7 mph / 14 km/h from the ENE
Wind Gust: 15.4 mph / 24 km/h
Not bad for Dec. 9th.
Here is the 'hedge' of tagets. They are so smelly and I touch them for a childhood flashback.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
(Zone 3b)

I see that nearly everyone is colder than here - it's 35 degrees, 9am..Sunrise at 10:02 - Sets at 3:35pm...very dark/cloudy and windy now, so it's doubtful there'll be much real daylight today..right, Rann? - gray days=no pretty clouds to brighten it up. I'll just refer to your photos, Sharon, for the sky today.
The moose on the deck were finishing up the flowers in containers and the lilac.
Sidney - the yellows are a nice sight, for certain...mud pies were the best! thanks for the memory jog..
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Now they are calling for a 30% chance of rain today and nothing tomorrow. Major bummer...

Updated: 9:51 AM PST on December 09, 2006
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
57 °F / 14 °C
Overcast
Humidity: 77%
Dew Point: 50 °F / 10 °C
Wind: 4 mph / 6 km/h / 1.5 m/s from the South

Ric, I have a lot of succulents that bloom in the fall and winter but that cactus is the only one that I have (aside from Christmas/Thanksgiving cactus) that blooms at this time of year.

Kiska, how afraid of you are the moose? Like if you opened the door would they run away or would they just stand there and look at you?

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Evening Everybody! It's 30* & dark. Pretty chilly in Bluefield all day. If it got out of the 20's I'd be suprised.

Kiska, I think that the moose really like your place. I really think you should give them names & see if the acknowledge you... :-D
Sidney, I love those little flowers. I can't imagine having anything here that would even bloom in the winter! How nice it would be to have a little color! :)
Deb! All your Flowers! That's terrible! Will they revive? The only true tropicals that I have are elephant ears & I have to dig them up every fall.
Ric, Thanx for sharing you pix! Those are great! LOL How long did it take for your glasses to "un"fog? :-D
Sharon, those are absolutely Gorgeous pix! However, I Really like the 2nd one! (Garrett will be mailed his test results ~ let you know...)
Rannveig! It was much colder here than there! DH was thuroughly (me too!) Amazed!

Took some more pix at the reservoir in Bluefield while waiting on the "tested"...

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

There is a 70% chance of rain for tonight. We've got some drizzle right now. Yay!!!

(Zone 5a)

Joey - what a gorgeous pic! The temp is up to 40F now at 1 am. It started snowing around dinnertime, but then around 9 pm it turned to rain. The storm rolled through in about 3 hours with strong winds and heavy rain, but now it's pretty calm again.

Kiska - we had sunset at the exact same time today too!! You're right - there isn't much daylight if it's heavily overcast and wet. No pretty colors. So the moose are the clean-up crew! lol It'd be nice if they could deadhead for you too :-D

Debi did the temps go down to 18F??! No wonder the tropicals are looking sorry. Didn't know it got so cold that far south. Hope they recover. Is that a normal winter temp or is it a rare thing???

I'm off to bed now - it's way past my bedtime :-)

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

Kelli - glad you're finally getting some rain!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Kelli that's some good news for you guys!
We've done Christmas a few times over in Tujunga.
Seen everything from Ice on the Deck (about broke my neck! lol) to the Santa Anna's .....
only saw rain once.. you really need it!

Joey that's a gorgeous shot!
kiska we need some Moose. Maybe they'd scare off the Deer!
Though we are starting to get Black Bear 40 miles East of us.
Sidney those flowers look perfect on this Winter day!

34° (Wind Chill 27°)
Wind: SW 9 MPH
Humidity: 37%
Daytime temps will hold in the 50's thru next week...... ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Ric

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

32½°(F) (back porch) very dark

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It's going to be warming up here next week, too. Yayyy! It will be in the lower 70's and upper 60's. :-) I'm ready! LOL

The Christmas play went well. It was a lot of fun to do. :-) Usually our adult choir does a big Christmas cantata at church and the kids do a big musical around Easter. We switched this year and the children's choir is going to do their big musical next week and we're going to do an Easter cantata thing. So we did a fun dinner theatre thing this weekend. It was very fun and funny and lighthearted. We had a blast! It was supposed to take place in a 50's diner, and we had James Coney Island (which is a restaurant chain that serves hot dogs and etc) cater it. I'm attaching a picture of me in my skirt... It's not fancy, but then I just sort of threw it together at the last minute. I haven't worn my letter jacket for about 20 years! LOL

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 9:53pm CST (61 min ago)
Temperature 47 °F 8 °C
Dew Point 28 °F -2 °C
Humidity 49%
Pressure 30.41 in 1029.7 mb
Wind Speed 8 MPH 7 kts
Wind Dir E 80°
Ceiling 8000 ft 2438 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Cloudy

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Marylyn, I remember my letter sweater, hadn't thought of it in years. And the skirts with the appliques, mine was felt. and full circle.

It's being cold here like January. up to 48* today. or I guess that would be yesterday by now. Loving the pictures, lurking mostly. ~~ winter doldrums. I'd never survive Rann's 3 hrs of sunlight. ~waving~ Blooms

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

We'll have three days with highs reaching 50º+ starting today, then it drops back down again. It was 16º when I got up at 8 am but I didn't go out on the porch to check my hi-lo thermometer to see what the low actually was. Lots of ice on my slow moving creek.

I wore my embroidered satin school jacket until it fell apart. I was in jr. hi (8th grade) in eastern NC and wanted their school jacket. Instead, for Christmas my Dad got me the satin jacket from Miami High where I ended up going to high school after a year in Kansas with my mother for the 9th grade. How could he have anticipated that?

Don't know what I did with my letter sweater.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning Everybody! It' s 24* at present, but the sun is peaking over the top of my lil' ridge...Looks like a nice day ahead!

Yeah!!! Kelli ! I'm glad that you're finally getting some rain! Enjoy! My mom always called the rain "showers of Blessings". It' must seem like such a relief! :-))
Rannvieg & Ric, Thanx ~ I took some more. I love going to that place. So calm....& peaceful.
Marylyn, Now don't you look "spiffy"! Like you're going out for a night on the town! :-D Really Retro!
Helluuu! Miss Darius! How are you felling? Maybe that ice will melt soon....supposed to get really warm ~ a regular heat wave!

Well, gotta go do some cooking....Emily's B-day tomorrow, but we're celebrating today! It's her 25th! ~ it seems like only yesterday...

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

Okay playing a little catch up here.
Joey love the lake/mountain pic - that's gorgeous!
Marylyn - great outfit!! I don't have the talent to sew. I can tack something down or put a button back on - that's it. My mom could sew up a storm though.
Kiska - love the moose and the naming idea...what's the plural of moose, not moose's or meese!!!
Deb - will the plants come back?
We went to the beach last night to watch the take-off, but only saw the shuttle go through the "window". No pics, very cloudy out, but it's always a treat to see.
We're are 58 now, and the forecast is:
Partly cloudy with a few sprinkles possible. Highs in the mid 60s. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph...Except 15 to 20 mph along the coast. And since I work on the coast I'd better wear something a little warmer than the short sleeves I have on now!!
Kiska - here's your crew (courtesy of nasa.com)! For those of us who don't know - front row 1st from left is pilot Olefin from Kiska's neck of the woods!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

29° Wind: Calm
Humidity: 66%
Average: High 44° Low 28°
Today's Sunrise: 7:47AM
Today's Sunset: 5:16PM
(09:29 hours of sunlight)

Not a cloud in the Sky! Going for 50° today.
We're looking at a 10 day forcast of temps well above normal.
Middle 50's mostly w/ Lows above freezing.
60° and rainy Tuesday

Can't believe it's still that cold down there Darius.
Course I can't believe it's 6 degrees warmer in the UP of MI right now either.

Marylyn That's a Spiffy outfit there!
No letter jackets here. I was a budding Hippie in HS.......... LOL!

We have a Cooper's Hawk hanging around at our backyard neighbor's.
Yesterday at dusk it was sitting on our fence checking out his bird feeders.
By the time I got the camera it had taken off.
So ends the mystery of the dead and plucked Doves and Blue Jays...........

Here's our rather confused Brunnera 'Jack Frost'.
Someone needs to tell it that just because it has that name
doesn't mean it's not supposed to be dormant right now.................

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I can't sew either, Sharon. I bought the skirt and some squares of felt at a thrift store, and some fabric paint and glue at Hobby Lobby. I found the stencil shapes on the internet, printed them onto card stock, cut them out, traced around them onto the back of the felt, cut them out, and glued them to the skirt. Then I did the outlines with the fabric paint the next morning. Nothing the 5 years olds in my daughter's Sunday school class couldn't handle. LOL :-)

Joey, you don't look old enough to have a 25 year old!! :-)

Gotta go... Stay warm, everyone!!
~ Marylyn

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Marylyn_Tx, that is so cute! Great job!

Hi all...Clouds at Peters Point Beach this morning....
So far a very pretty day around 60 right now

Thumbnail by MySharona

OMG - I just took a picture of this butterfly on the parsley- first one I've seen in about 2 weeks! I was about a foot away, tried to reach out but it flew away :(

Thumbnail by MySharona
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Afternoon everyone! I've been busy putting up the holiday decorations. (Procrastinator.)
Joey & Sharon: Yup, the tropicals will come back. They hung in there pretty well this year. No worries, they're just sleepin'
Kiska: I'd hate to have to worry about some moose coming along and eating my flowers. I have enough trouble keeping them going without them being dinner for wildlife! :) Although I do have the odd duck making a meal of my aroids.
Sidney: So nice to see summer-yellow flowers! R they actually blooming now?
Oh, Joey: I love the duck pic! Atmospheric.
Kelli: Congrats on the rain! Yahoo!!
Rann: Yes, it did get down to 18 and nearly that last night. We get one or two nights a year in that range, but it doesn't normaly happen til late Jan or Feb.
Marylyn: Love your skirt! You make it sound easy, but I could not have done that. I'm hopeless at that sort of thing.
Blooms: I'm with you. Doldrums. Need light.
And Henry10: You and me both! I was also headed for Hippie-dom in HS. No letter gear for me! ;) Bell bottoms and tie-dye all the way!
Finally: Here's a funny (odd)) little shot from the feeder this morning. It was a very popular spot and I was taking a photo of a chickadee and sparrow when suddenly there was a traffic jam.

Thumbnail by DebinSC

We got 0.5 inch of rain last night. Yay!!! That should be enough to do some good.

Updated: 12:51 PM PST on December 10, 2006
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
59 °F / 15 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 51%
Dew Point: 41 °F / 5 °C
Wind: 5 mph / 7 km/h / 2.1 m/s Variable

We went up to Fillmore today and there was snow on the tops of the high mountains (over 6000ft). It is always so exotic to me to see snow in the distance but there be no snow where I am.

(Zone 5a)

Hello everyone. It was a grey day here today, 38F, cloudy and a bit windy. Day to stay indoors.

Marylyn - you did a great job with that skirt!!! Doesn't look like something you threw together at the last minute at all!! Glad the play was a success :-D

Ric's Brunnera - It's time to go to sleep now - you can do a lot of growing in the spring ;-)

Joey and Sharon - great photos - Sharon that is a pretty butterfly.

Debi - your feeder sure is busy! Those chickadees are pretty :-)

Two candles lit tonight on the Advent wreath - I took a few photos of the girls hoping to get a photo for this years Christmas cards. Haven't picked one yet - but here's one of them :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Rann, beautiful the way their faces look in the candlelight.
Sharon, jealous you have butterflies while I'm waiting for snowflies.
Deb, looka all them wings.

predicted hi 43* temp right now 37* and the way the storm is amovin' in I doubt we'll get to the 43. Low this morning was 23*. They say rain showers turning to snow this evening. Best I get out there and be sure of things afore it gets here.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Rann: That looks like a Kodak ad!

Getting back to normal here:
59°F
Partly Cloudy
Wind: N at 0 mph
Humidity: 29%
Next few days, back up into the 60s day and high 30s nights. Guess Jazz won't talk to me. ;-)

Ice crystals on the setcresea this morning. Everything that was the least bit tender has finally bit the dust.
Ahhh well, spring WILL come. :)
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Beautiful day in Pa. Temps now are 50 degrees. Hard to believe is was 17 degrees a few days ago. Transplanted a first batch of daylily seedlings into bigger pots. So you know it must be approaching Christmas. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.