Perennials in the garden setting...show us your pics #4

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Here is part of the same big back bed in early August. Hard to see the iris, but they are there if you look hard enough. This bed is 20 foot deep and 50 foot long.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

I am a big fan of Wanda's iris and daylily beds. Didn't know they were so big. WOW! 20 feet wide! Unless you have 10 foot arms, I'd say there must be steping stones of paths to walk thru? How do you weed?

carol (happy recipient of your 2006 iris give-aways)

This message was edited Nov 11, 2006 10:33 AM

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

Wanda - stunning !!!! That is what I would LIKE mine to look like, but I have to keep my beds very narrow so I can easily reach across from either side due to my neuropathy. I am so unsteady on my feet some days I can easily fall if I lean forward too much.

You are a master at mixed beds!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Wanda, they are so beautiful! I've added more iris and daylilies this fall, but I'll never have anything like that.

here's my last bloom this fall, a clematis that doesn't know when to quit (it didn't come up until August)

Thumbnail by grampapa
Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Wanda, Incredible!

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

fading quickly : Salvia guaranitica 'Black and Blue', pineapple sage and mexican bush sage

Thumbnail by corgimom
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

my salvias are located right behind this arbor, to the right

Thumbnail by corgimom
Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Very pretty gate!

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

So inviting!

Sandy

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

love the arbor! can I come in?

corgimom--love the arbor! Mine just went in this summer, so it will be ahile before the climbing roses do their magic.

I don't put paths thru my beds--all of them are just basically 6 foot to 20 foot deep borders around the yard and around the house. I do have paths to the corners of the yard so the dog can run & bark there. My flowers are planted in rows offset into triangle patterns. I like the variety and am always trying something different in the beds to see what will work well with the daylilies, iris & lilies.

This is a 50 foot wide, 6 foot deep bed along a fence line with a bit of shade. Should be more lilies visible, but the bunnies like to visit from next door.

Same fenceline bed in late May.

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Happy Birthday Wanda! and as always your beds are beautiful!

-Kim

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Wanda, hope your birthday has been as beautiful as your flowers. Many happy returns.

gram

Thumbnail by grampapa

Nice Cake! Thank you for your Birthday greetings. I'm glad you are enjoying my gardens. It was a banner year for irises. It was hard for me to go to work each day & leave them.

I'm hoping to get some of my summer daylilies scanned this weekend ---too cold to do anything in the garden. But when it's 40 degrees in March, I'll declare a "warm" day.

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

Wanda, I don't have irises but if I could grow them like that......

Sure ,grampapa, come on in if you can stand the weeds !

Here is my largest "tater" that came off the tater vine growing on that arbor:

Thumbnail by corgimom
somewhere, PA

Oh - happy birthday!!!!!

Tater???

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Tater as in pertater, Wanda.
Happy, Happy Birthday!!!!!

Thumbnail by boojum

As in sweet potato vine? Beautiful and useful, who'd a thunk?

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

no, not sweet potato vine, tater vine, or air potato (here is my thread about it)

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/666262/

Thank you for explaining. Impossible to keep up on all the cool things DGers grow!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Oops...no gate. It's a pretty arbor. Time to check my prescription.

Very nice Wanda & Happy Birthday!

nelson, New Zealand(Zone 9a)

Wonderful picsof great plants and gardens. Particularly loved lincolnities mums. Lots of plants new to me so interesting to read about them.
This pentstemon is now in full bloom but it grew taller than I expected so it will be moved when it finishes flowering or should I leave it there until just before next spring. Never having grownthem before I am unsure about the best time.

Thumbnail by ferrymead

The campunalum is blooming very prettily, you will see an ionium looking ded in the bottom front, it got hit hard with the frosts but I hope it will come right.

Thumbnail by ferrymead

Puss thought he would like to be shown in the garden.

Thumbnail by ferrymead

Leucospermum 'Wiri"

Thumbnail by ferrymead

Last photo.... the first of the lupins is now in bloom.,

Thumbnail by ferrymead
somewhere, PA

OMG those are absolutely gorgeous!!! Please don't say that's the last. Oh oh oh...
I just love them all. but that last one with the soft roses nestled around the white lupines
with all the other pretties packed into such a tight area... glorious. Sheer perfection.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Tess, me, too. the white lupins with the pink roses is delightful! everything else is so pretty, too, though. and the greens are so lush. you will stick with us thru the winter won't you?

gram

Tammy and Grammy, so kind. I took the phptos above an hour ago and the rain has been bucketing down since then. But i went out and took some more and here they come.

Girst one from my kitchen window, it gves me so much pleasure to look out on display.

Thumbnail by ferrymead

This is from the side garden, cherry pie in the planter,(Can't remember what it is called but its perfume is gorgeous, Ionium flowering in the backgroud. (Don't think that spelling is losher!)

Thumbnail by ferrymead

A Sam McGredy rose ' Schoolgirl' is blooming against the fence and an' Anzac' peoppy, ususally known as the Flanders poppy has just unfurled its first petals. This poppy is the New Zealand and Australian symbol for the service people who have fallen during the first and scond world wars plus those following.
This poppy is the little red flower at the base of the rose. The pansies are all self sown which I have replanted.

This message was edited Nov 13, 2006 10:58 PM

Thumbnail by ferrymead

Last pic of the latest garden I am working with. It is still a work in progress and was started in September this year. See the dark leaved flax bush and beside it another one more brightly coloured which was a gift from a firend from her garden.

Thumbnail by ferrymead
(Zone 5a)

Wow - what a show! Wanda your borders are gorgeous - I love your iris and daylilies!

Corgimom - beautiful salvias and arbor!

Gram - that clematis is so pretty!

Boojum - what a gloriously wonderful color on those irises!!

Ferrymead - what a wonderous garden you have - wonderful to see images of summer at this gray and dreary time of year! Please keep them coming!!!!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I agree Ferrymead! Great to see spring arriving somewhere! Those lupine & roses!
What is behind the ionium in your second picture?

Poppies are our symbol for the soldiers lost in war too.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

ferrymead, your garden is a very welcome sight to me among the dead and dying foliage I see out my windows. I love winter, but I still love seeing the brightness of spring happening somewhere. What's the pink and white flower with that cutie Puss?

ferrymead--I was enjoying your yard pics and was surprised at roses & lupine in bloom NOW. Then I woke up and realized you are in New Zealand with reversed seasons. Stupid me!

If I were rich, I would own homes in all the corners of the world and follow spring/summer around the globe. I think skipping fall & winter would be okay for me.

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

Wanda, I had same response ! Ferrymead, can I see more of the blue trellis that we get a peek of in your last photo? That is the color I have in my garden and love it ! What a beautiful place you have. I would love to wake up to that every day,too !

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

ferrymead, your colorful displays are so welcome to us in the northern hemisphere! I love your penstemons- just gorgeous! The rose/lupin combo is stunning.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.