Perennials in the garden setting...show us your pics #4

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Patti, I googled it yesterday and came up with a number of hits. Hopefully it will be as easy to find next year.

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

Thanks everyone for the encouragement ! I don't post much because I don't know the Latin names of so much of my stuff ! Just old garden names. Our internet has been down for over 3 days and I was dying to get back on . Ya'll are my connection to the world !

Libby

somewhere, PA

Hey Libby! Welcome back to the virtual real world. :-)
Tam

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

the last of my morning glory bush ( Ipomoea carnea), mexican bush sage, and ,in the back , is another pinapple sage

Thumbnail by corgimom
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

my Mystic Spires Blue sage after I cut it back and it rebloomed:

Thumbnail by corgimom
somewhere, PA

terrific color combinations!
tam

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Jolly Bee.

Thumbnail by boojum
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

I love the pretty color ! How do they do in the south?

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

pretty foliage too booj.

somewhere, PA

I think this is jolly bee too. I planted a variety of geraniums in this hillside garden.
They are terrific long bloomers. And seem to fair quite well w/no supplemental
watering.

Thumbnail by Tammy

Oops! I think my Jolly Bee is Roxanne (white centers).

(Zone 5a)

Sempervirens - thanks for the info - I will be keeping a lookout for that wood phlox since it's hardy to zone 3! ;-) I assumed it would be too tender.

Corgimom - that morning glory is gorgeous and everything else too!

boojum and Tammy - nice geraniums :-) I love hg's.

somewhere, PA

phlox divaricata is just wonderful! I have it growing on my property & have been moving it
to other places. It just lights up a semi-shady area in the spring. Here's a perfect color
match of mayzes & phlox divaricata.

Thumbnail by Tammy
(Zone 5a)

Tammy that is soooooo pretty! Now I just got to have it! :-)

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Corgimom,
Is that rebar painted blue I see among the Mystic Sage? Nice photos and color combinations.
rannveig,
I'm glad the wood phlox is hardy to your zone.
Tammy,
The phlox divaricata just sparkles in your garden. Have you tried tiarella with it?
It looks like a few of us tried Jolly Bee Hardy Geranium this year with success. I wonder if it will come back?

somewhere, PA

I love tiarella but have not paired it with the divaricata. I'm curious to see how all the hardy
geraniums I planted come through the winter.

Here's the divaricata phlox paired with white dicentra.

Thumbnail by Tammy
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

semper,, yes, that is painted rebar. I know , we southerners are known for our tackiness in the garden. I needed something to hold up my mexican bush sage, Ipomoea carnea, pineapple sage, and Salvia involucrata (that is 6 ft. tall). My DH constructed this rebar support and I had to paint it blue!!( It was supposed to be more lav. than that but it just didn't turn out that way.) That is Mystic Spires Blue at the end of the bed. It had been so pretty but here it was winding down.

Jolly bee and roxanne have come back for the last 2 years for me in z5 and Roxanne is still in bloom after many frosts. Here's my phlox in May. Not much else is blooming in this garden this year.

Thumbnail by boojum
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

corgimom, I love the blue painted rebar! I use rebar for stakes too, but never thought to paint it. So much nicer that way.

Susan

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

corgimom,
I like using rebar also and was just wondering what kind of paint you used. I'd like to paint some of mine black to match an arbor.
Boojum,
Your phlox is very lush and it looks like it's in a sunny spot? Do you think Roxanne is longer blooming then Jolly Bee?
Tammy,
Nice combination of wood phlox and white bleeding heart. I like the white Dicentra spectabilis so much better then than the standard rose, it seems less aggressive also and leaves less of a hole whan it goes dormant. I really love the native Dicentra eximia and formosa since it lasts all season with beautiful ferny leaves and delicate blooms.

(Zone 5a)

I didn't know Dicentra spectabilis went dormant during the summer - it flowers all summer here until the first frost Guess that's one of the few perks of a cool summer :-)

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

sorry,Susan, I thought I attached the picture that showed a little more of it. It runs all the way around one section of the garden.

Thumbnail by corgimom
Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

Libby you have such a lovely place. Every pic you post makes me want to come and set a spell. How's that noggin of yours?
carol

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

carol, you sweetie ! I wouldn't let you sit - I would have you pulling weeds !!!!

my head is more or less fine. I can still feel it when I turn my head in certain ways but it isn't really painful - just lets me know it is still healing! I am afraid I have another one on the side of my head. I will have to call about another apt !

Here is my amsonia I took today :

Thumbnail by corgimom
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

my clerodendrum bungei today :

Thumbnail by corgimom
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

Salvia guaranitica Black and Blue and pineapple sage this morning (after the rain )

Thumbnail by corgimom
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

turk's cap ( Malvaviscus arboreus drummondii ) seed

Thumbnail by corgimom
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

Salvia involucrata x karwinskii ( finally showing a little bloom ! )

sorry - didn't mean to hog the thread ! I was just out with my camera this morning and of course had to take a "few" pictures ! I know things won't last much longer.

Thumbnail by corgimom
Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

I remarked on the midsouth thread how much I love the clerodendrum. Libby you QUIT posting pics right this minute and get on the phone with the dr!

carol the sweetie
Don't make me come down there! lol

(Zone 5a)

Libby great photos - you have so much still going on in the garden :-) Enjoy it while it lasts :-) Hope you feel better.

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

here is my viburnum - it has bloomed all summer and now, Nov 7, has more blooms than ever. I am just not tall enough to take the picture from above the plant

Thumbnail by corgimom
Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I like to mix my iris, daylily & lily collections with other perennials to get better texture and longer blooming season. This is an August 2006 shot.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers

Same bed in July with some of the daylilies in bloom.

Part of the same bed in early June.

Same bed in mid May.

Last pic--September in the same mixed perennial bed.

somewhere, PA

gorgeous! great job keeping up the show for such an extended period.
Tam

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Wanda, all I have to say is please stick around here because I think some of us could use your advice. really great mix of color and texture and season-long bloom in that bed..A+

gram

This is one of the smaller and older beds along the house. It just gained 20 lilies in the back row this year. And I pulled out the ornamental garlic--just tired of trying to keep it where it belongs!

Thank you of your comments. I'm trying to remember to take monthly overviews of some of the other beds, but they are just so big.

I like my beds to be deep so I can layer the plant colors, bloom time & textures. My main collections are iris, daylilies & lilies. I love mixing and matching other perennials & a handful of favorite annuals like snapdragons & zinnias. Makes it a challenge.

The bearded iris were particularly stunning this year. Iowa allows me to grow the full range of dwarfs, Tall Beardeds, Intermediates, Border Beardeds & Minature Tall Beardeds. Louisiana & Japanese iris are fighting me since I refuse to water my beds. I've got them planted in low areas now & we'll see what happens. Siberains like the yard too and I'm adding more colors. I like the flowing shapes of the clumps.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.