Perennials in the garden setting...show us your pics #4

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

definitely, Dave

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Oh good. Well I did add my support to the new forum. I think they usually require 10 posts in favor of a new forum.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

thanks. I'll bet there are a lot of folks scattered around who would be interested.

Winchester, VA(Zone 6a)

I am, even though I don't have a "cottage garden" I do love reading about them and seeing them. I tried your link, grampapa, no avail. I'll try it later, 'suppose.

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

I'm sure I have a cottage garden, but I like to think of it as the so called New American Garden [Carole Ottesen] that incorporates as many natives and grasses as possible.

Thumbnail by sempervirens
Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

One of the new plants I purchased this year that has been a surprisingly long bloomer is Jolly Bee, a hardy geranium. At first I didn't like the pinker tint to the purple flowers but with the cooler weather it has settled into a bluer tint. It is sprawling nicely through the Heuchera.

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

It is always nice to see this late booming allium among the variegated leaves of nasturtium "Alaska".

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

And last is the hardy Cyclamen.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Very, very pretty Semprvirens!

Sempervirens~ beautiful, lovely garden for the "Garden State" ;0)

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

sempervirens, those are really lovely, especially so late in the year. Is that a double impatiens to the left of the cyclamen?

My Blue Cadet and August Moon hostas are in their fall glory. (I posted this elsewhere, so apologies to those of you who have already seen it in the hosta forum.)

Thumbnail by mickgene
Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

It was quite difficult to get good pics around all of the dying plants yesterday. But since I leave many of them for winter interest and the birds, I couldn't pull them out to get perfect-looking pics.

The Asters "Fanny" and "Raydon's Favorite," Persicaria still blooming after 4 months, Malva zebrina darker than it always is in the summer, and a mum that has just begun blooming are the bright spots here. I hope the mum has a chance to really shine before we get our long-overdue first frost.

Thumbnail by mickgene
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Beautiful mickgene! Love the guinea too. I miss having birds; tried, but they get picked off like ripe fruit here in the woods with so many critters.

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

for those of you that watch the Mid South Gardening forum forgive me for posting the same photos here, too ! My DH gave me a new ( point and shoot ) camera for my Oct 30 birthday so I went out and took photos of the last of my garden :This is Belinda's Dream rose

Thumbnail by corgimom
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

my confederate rose is still loaded !!!

Thumbnail by corgimom
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

A few blooms still hanging on to my Endless Summer hydrangea

Thumbnail by corgimom
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

OOhhh, Belinda's dream is on my list; sounds like an excellent rose by the descriptions. Has she been as trouble free for you as the sources say?

This message was edited Nov 1, 2006 10:13 AM

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

pineapple sage and hardy begonia

Thumbnail by corgimom
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

gemini - absolutely ! I am not a "rose person" yet I have 3 of these ! Have never sprayed them !

Knockout rose (same goes for it, gemini ! I have 3 of this one,too !!)

Thumbnail by corgimom
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

La Marne rose ( tiny blooms, I just tried out my zoom lens !)

Thumbnail by corgimom
Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

Oh Libby, those pictures are gorgeous. You have quite alot still blooming in your garden! Please thank your DH for us, as we will benefit as much from your birthday present as you will!

carol

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

corgimom, those are all gorgeous blooms to grace your garden this time of year (from the perspective of those of us in colder climes.) I was surprised to see my (first ever) Pineapple Sage blooming 2 days ago yet didn't bloom all summer. Does that sound normal? I am going to need an Endless Summer hydrangea next year. I'm now convinced of it.

gemini_sage, the woodland critters (not to mention roaming dogs) are the reason we ended up with the guineas. They just wandered down the mountain one day, sauntering through the woods. We corralled them to keep them safe, waiting for someone to come claim them. It's 5 years later now and nobody's come yet. :) Our big black dog is Pearl's best buddy. They're a hoot.

Heuchera 'Gypsy Dancer' is putting up more bloom stalks.

Thumbnail by mickgene
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

someone suggested to me that I needed guineas to keep deer away from my daylilies.I might be tempted if I didn't live so close to other people. I am sure there is a "law" here in our city about having them running loose, and how can you not? That is what they do !!! Although I have 3 acres I would not be able to keep them on my own property or out of the street.

I have a salvia that just got started last week. It hasn't bloomed in 3 years ! Frost gets it every year before it blooms. I am trying to decide if it is worth keeping since it takes up so much room. I will try to post pics tonight or tomorrow of it.(alas, I am a "dummy" - don't know how to put photos from my camera onto the computer. Have begged my DH to show me how but am still waiting for my lesson.sigh!!!!)

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

I hated rooting around behind the CPU to attach a wire from camera, so I got a SanDisk card reader that just stays plugged in. Easy.

My newly planted Encore Azaleas are blooming but its too darn cold and damp to take pics.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I've had the same problem with pineapple sage, just waited to darn long to bloom. I guess its a short day plant, like mums?

Winchester, VA(Zone 6a)

My pineapple sage is still blooming. And I love it. It didn't bloom until August/september, tho. What a fun sage that one is.

I also have Belinda's Dream. Very cool rose.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Tammy, your new rocky hillside garden is great. It's packed full of stuff without looking messy. I love it, just as I love every other part of your gorgeous property.

FLStu, that blue ginger is stunning, and everyone's pictures of pineapple sage are just delicious.

Libby, get those rose pictures over to the rose forum immediately! We have a shortage of photos there this time of year and yours are wonderful.

somewhere, PA

Hmmm... what a surprise! Post some gorgeous roses and in pops Zuzu. LOL

Corgimom - those are absolutely gorgeous pic's. Glad you got a new camera so you could
share your beauties with us all!

Mickgene - I love heuchera's. So pretty.

Tam

(Zone 5a)

sempervirens, mickgene and corgimom - wonderful photos!

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thank you rannveig, Dave, garden 6 and mickgene for the compliments .Wow this thread moves fast, 20 posts since yesterday morning .I love the golden fall tones of the hostas mickgene, too bad they don't last that long. I like your fence and arbor, did you build it yourself?
Pretty blooms and lovely photos corgimom and mickgene.

mickgene,
Yes those are double or rose impatients.I'm adding a photo of the impatients with one of my favorite ground cover plants(slow growing) wood phlox "Montrose Tricolor". I did post this photo on the Northeast region site already.

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Here's an over view of the backyard. We've only had one light frost in open areas so I still have some blooms. The last 2 days have been very warm, in the 70's.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

sempervirens, thanks so much for that second photo. I've never heard of wood phlox and that is one terrific looking plant. I think I need to start a written list for next year's desirables before it gets too long for me to remember. (It's now up to 2 items; what does that say? lol)
DH and I built the fence and arbor to keep the dogs out of the veggie beds. I wanted an open design. It still lets the groundhogs and rabbits through though, so it wasn't so well-conceived. But I have 7 roses planted along it so they will hopefully fill in to keep those buggers out, too.
And you're absolutely on target about the color of the hostas not lasting long. I took the pic Tuesday, and when I looked out the window Wed. morning noticed that the leaves had changed to distinctively brown tones. But then there's a tree across the street that I swear was still mostly green yesterday morning and is all gold this morning.

rannveig, thank you!

(Zone 5a)

sempervirens - love the wood phlox! Your garden looks amazing for this time of year - looks like it's still summer there! It's November in NJ too isn't it??? lol. 70's are temps we'd be thrilled to have in July .....

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

70's here yesterday; 40's for highs today. And then our first freezing temps forecasted for tonight. I guess those remaining Perle d'Or rosebuds may not bloom.

Pegdog and Corgimom~ love the roses, a visual delight especially since mine are only 1 year old and did not bloom! So thanks for the images of hope for next year! ;0)

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Corgimom, love the roses still putting out! I am down to one last bloom.
Semperviens, I love that "ground cover plants(slow growing) wood phlox "Montrose Tricolor" that you listed. I don't know that one. It could just end up on my 'wanted list"
It is a cold and rainy day here, but before the skies opened up, I did a a quick wander through the garden. I still am doing the fall cleaning, but I don't have the heart to whack back those plants still trying to bloom. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

Patti` a beautiful garden to meander and wander!;0)

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Sempervirens, I can't find a listing for wood phlox "Montrose Tricolor". Do you have more information? Thanks. Garden6, I planted roses (other than my Rosa rugosa and 2 climbing roses) for the first time this summer , some bloomed well and others seemed a little shy. Fingers crossed for us both next year. The little late rose is Marmalade Skies (I think) from Parks summer sale. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

bbrookrd and mickgene and ranneveig,
Sorry for being too lazy to give you the Latin name, this wood phlox is Phlox divaricata, cultivar Montrose Tricolor, Zones 3-9, natural range NW Vermont and Quebec to Minnesota, south to Georgia and Texas. Moist soil, partial sun to shade, 10"-14" . Phlox pilosa, prairie phlox, is similar for drier sites (I haven't tried the pilosa and only know the divaricata Montrose to be variegated.) Usually the leaves of the species and other cultivars are solid green, spring flowers vary in color, they can be pale blue, blue(purple), white or have a darker "eye". There is a wonderfully fragrant cultivar called "Clouds of Perfume", unfortunately it is very short lived for me. I had a difficult time with the straight species until I realized that slugs completely destroy them. After using Sluggo they lasted and thrived. The Montrose Tricolor was always hardier for me and is semi-evergreen. In the cooler weather of spring and fall it has three colors on the leaves, green, white and pink. In the warmer weather it is green and white, The spring flowers seem sparser then the species and are pale blue. I don't remember where I purchased it but I see it is available from Variegated Foliage Nursery www.variegatedfoliage.com I have never purchased anything from this nursery. I have transplanted 8 clumps this spring in various areas and will know next spring if it will spread.

This message was edited Nov 6, 2006 4:26 PM

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

sempervirens, Thanks so much. I will be on the hunt. Patti

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.