Gladiolus

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Yes i know...................
The viking way passes through my village!!!! Do you know about the viking way??????????????

http://www.walkingontheweb.co.uk/Defined%20Routes/Viking%20Way.htm

www.caistor.net ............. my village!!

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Congratulations Mark, looking great so far! I like your face page pic (the crocosmia!), I did one of those shot in the mirror portraits too!

I guess you have come across Trecanna, they have a lot of crocosmia, including Pepper, not available at the moment, but quite nice and I gather rare too. They have many other Sth African bulbs too. You might find something you don't have!

http://www.trecanna.co.uk/search.asp?whichpage=7&pagesize=30&price=&search=&strSQL=SELECT+id%2Cname%2Ctype%2Cprice%2Ccode%2Ccolour%2Cproducer%2Climitedavailability+FROM+products+WHERE+%28+type+%3D+%27Crocosmia%27++%29+AND+onhold+%3C%3E+%27Yes%27+ORDER+BY+type%2C+name%2C+price

Why Thank you Janet
Oh so you do the face in the mirror thing too............LOL. Great fun i think!!!

Yep i know Trecanna............. run by a chap called Mark Walsh...........!!
Yes i know he has quite a few crocosmia............... he is still after one of mine that is sooooooooooo rare!! But it is a very slow grower and i cant give him any yet. I am sure he thinks i dont want him to have any of it..........LOL
He holds African Bulb open days everyso often!! You should go.........

If you look on the site i made, in the links........... you will see he is there!!

Mark

Mark, I just got lost on your links! I have come across or dealt with most of them, the Cottage Nursery near Alford is very tempting, they have the best and latest, many plants there that I had at some time wanted but not yet got!

Perhaps a trip there is due next year!

I go to cottage nursery every fortnight or so.............. it looks like a rough place but he has some real treasures!!!! You should go!!

Mark

Hmmm, not the best time of year, great for planting perennials but I just have too much already at the mo, spring time after a long winter might be great, even if I don't have the space yet!

I'm about to place another seed order with www.jjaseeds.com !

True, not the best time............. same here, i have far far to many!! LOL
Maybe the winter will kill a few off for me...!!

OMG another seed order................... you must have seeds coming out your ears!!
What you ordered now???

Will look at the site in a min!!

Mark
Oh by the way check out my site i am building!! http://www.simplesite.com/CROCOSMIA/

This is a little part of it Janet........... as i said it doesnt look much, but wow.......... he has some nice plants!!! A pure gardeners nursery!!!

Thumbnail by Mr_Crocosmia

Probably place the order tonight! Gotta go out for supplies.....not garden supplies!

I think I have about finalised it, this means I will be putting the malesiana on hold, this takes priority...and all for the price of a book!

here is my pending list

Corydalis integra
Corydalis caseana
Eucomis montana
Fritillaria recurva Siskiyou Summit coll.
Gladiolus orchidiflorus
Gladiolus uysiae
Iris chrysographes (had black form once, it got trod on and just went forever!)
Lilium auratum
Gladiouls dalenii lime green form
Gladiolus ecklonii

These are quoted in $US but are in Wales, they do their own collecting and get seed from the best sources, often private collections and all have collection notes and originations.

Oh dear Mark, I think you have too many irons in the fire! Pssssst........nobody's listening.........you put your site link above!

Sounds like you are gonna be a busy girl..................

Wow.............. some lovely plants there....... hope they all grow for you Janet!!! All for the price of a book..........LOL

How come they are quoted in $ when they are in Wales.?? Strange!! At least they sound like they are a decent company!!

Too many irons in the fire................. Hmmmm i don't know what you mean Janet!!!!
did you have a look at the site????????????

Mark

Yes I did look at your site, and the Links! I'm impressed, you will need it when you achieve your Nat. Collection Status!

I really don't know why they have it in $, something tells me they may have a contact/office in the States to get around import regs, but I may be wrong.

Look at the 'About us' tab, also if you click the 'genus' tab you will get general info about the genii (is that correct plural?)

Busy is fun!!!!

Why thank you........... Nooooooooo I wont need it as such, but its good for getting people to realise how beautiful crocosmia are!!

Yes you are probably right............... could be that its an american company based in Wales!!!

Havent had a look at the site yet............... been slightly busy tonite, but i will look tomorrow!!
Genii.............. doesnt look right, but it could be!! LOL

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssss busy is real fun!!

Mark

Horsens, Denmark

Hi Mark
Thanks for the links, they are very intersting. Who would have thought Caistor coomes from the latin word for camp :o)
Like the viking way link, did not know it existed at all.
Nice to see were there are walks all over Europe as well

wow Janet that is quite a collection you are gathering. Hope you post some photos next year :o))

Monica, I don't think any of those will be ready to flower next year, but if you know me I am ALWAYS posting photos!

Mark, more likely a Welsh company with American links I think! I would say the market is geared towards attracting the Americans, payment is in $US and can be paid by Paypal, but they say there is a BP converter (on shopping cart I imagine!)

Hi Monica
You are welcome for the links.................Thats because Caistor was a Roman Camp.............!!

The viking way is amazing............... we have hoards of people arrive all summer long to walk a few miles on the viking way!! Amazing to think you Danes ravishing our women and killing our countrymen.............. yet we still talk to you!! LOL
sorry i didn't really mean that............. joking!!
Hey, check out the ABOUT ME page Monica............. you are in there!!!!

Janet

Hmmmmmm, yes you are probably right............ still havent had time to look at that site yet..........!!
Been a bit busy building mine!! LOL
Wonder if that book will turn up this week...................... doubt it now!!!

Mark

Horsens, Denmark

LOL reminded my of Mrs Hyacinth BOUQUET when she was in Copenhagen and whent panic when she remembered about the vikings, love that series.
Wow thank’s for mentioning me on your page :o))) I am very honoured :o))
Hope your book comes soon.

Janet you are right about posting your photos, they are a delight here in DG

ohhhhhhhhhhh Hyacinth Bucket............ lol
I havent seen that, when she was in Copenhagen......
Awww, I knew you would love a mention in my site............... i like the idea that people can go to your site and view all your weeds!! LOL LOL LOL
Yes, i hope the book comes soon................ may even copy a page out of it and put it on here, just to make Janet jealous!! hahahahahahaha

Mark

Mark, they probably have to get the book fromSth Africa! I wonder if they own the shop, the Publishers that is, as I mentioned before the price was the same. They may just gather a bunch of orders before bringing them over.

Thank you Monica!

I heard that re-mark, Mark!!

OOOOOOOOOOOOPSSSSSSS!!!!! hahahahahahahaha
didn't know you were there Janet!!!!!

It says on the site that delivery is within 10 days!!!!!
So, yes maybe they do have to get the book from Sth Africa!! I guess it would cost a fortune to get the books over from S.A......... so yeah maybe they wait until they have a bunch of orders!!
we will never really know..................

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

You didn't get your book yet because there waiting for the money to clear. They couldn't believe someone would really want that book for that kind of money so they think its a joke order

Lol

I have some weed ident books if you want to borrow them. Lol

Only joking no sending me dmail bombs!

mike you do go on a bit! (as if I don't, but mine is, hopefully, more to the point!))

Payment on-line is always by credit, not cheque, but I suppose you already know that.

Checked on the date you bought Mark, evening of 29th, that's 7 days so shouldn't be long. Pleeeease photocopy the pages (all of them) then I can just save them! (hehe)

Well, I did it, placed my order with jjaseeds! A bit steep, but good seeds always are, after all they do collect many of them, lucky things! $5 postage too, it's the same wherever and payment via Paypal is in $. Pays a little for their airfares to collect the seed.

Hey Janet

Of course he knows that already!!!! LOL

Of course i will copy the pages for you................ i will scan and then send you a couple pages every night!!!
Seriously though, if you want me to scan some parts for you, i will.......... you know, the plates etc!!

$5 postage isnt that bad really............. I wouldnt mind paying that!!
I had a quick look at the site................ they have some decent stuff.......... may have a closer look for myself...hehe

Monica received her Tacca seed i sent her................... so she will have some fun!!!! I sent her a few other packets for her to try..........

Mark

Mike

Actually the book was quite cheap compared to some places that sell it......................... Should be a good reference book i think!!!
It may even convince me to start a collection of Gladiolus.............. you never know!!!
I just checked my NCCPG Collections Directory............ no one has the national collection of species Gladiolus!! There you go Janet.............. something for you to maybe look into!!

Maybe Monica with her Oxalis would love to borrow your weed book Mike!!! LOL
I already have my own............... its called Crocosmia and Chasmanthe

Mark

Janet

Have you ever had any seed from kirstenbosch ??????????????

Mark

No Mark, I have seen there is a members group, but if I remember right it was quite restricted.

Have you?

Yeah i got some crocosmia seed................ a friend of mine orders from them sometimes............
she is in the trade, so i guess thats why she can order!!!!

Its one heck of a catalogue................

Mark

Shame, there are some great things there! I got an email pdf of Penroc seeds well over a year ago, impossible to go through, but I found some great things. Trouble is they only accept bank transfers, I passed them by but in the future, well...giving bank details to Sth Africa is risky too, even the bank staff are half crooked! Paypal only gives them the money, it's time more of them went that route.

I did come across another interesting site recently, their seeds I was informed was only wholesale, but they do sell bulbs and have some really rarish stuff. They take credit card, but is email ordering and still risky. Besides, I keep spending too much!

I bought Protea seeds and a couple of other things from finebushpeople.co.za, they are family run and only they have access to the decoder for credit cards.

I won't hold you to copying you whole book, but it would be good!

Handy to have friends in the trade!

Janet

Have found the kirstenbosch pdf if you want to have a look????? If you d-mail me your email address i will send you it........................... also i will be able to send you the pages of the book too.!!! when i get it.......

More and more companies are catching on to the paypal thing i think...............

There is no way i would send bank details or credit card info to south adrica................ NOOOOOOOOOO WAY!!!! lol

I will copy you the whole book, but will be in tastey bits every nite!!!!

Mark

Oooooohhhhhh, lucky me!

OK!!!!! Would love to look at the kirstenbosch pdf!

OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH yes lucky you!!!!

You should have it by now................. its a big file!!!

Horsens, Denmark

yeps been busy reading with my seeds, and planning what`s and were`s for next year.
Will probably undo the hole thing during the boring and dark winter months coming ahed.
Thanks for the seeds and your message in my guestbook LOL very funny LOL :o)

Monica

Monica

If you want any more seeds to play with................... you can have some!!!
I am sure you will sort it all out before4 next spring!! LOL
You should have some lovely plants next year if they all grow!!!!
LOL............... Loved writing that message in your guest book................

Mark

I order from Kirstenbosch, you have to get in very early to get the choice seeds, we've ordered two weeks after the catalogue was produced and still not been able to get some species.

nd going back up about 100 posts LOL Wallaby yes I have some other Glad species growing from seed but they are under the bench in the greenhouse at the moment.

Horsens, Denmark

LOL yes Baa it is getting long :o)
Thanks for your kind offer Mark, but I think I almost have enough plants for next year :o)

Yes mark, got it! THANKYOU!

I spent some time reading, a quick stroll thru the seeds, I see where some other seed sellers get their seeds from, good prices too! It does look like anyone can order, I had only come across their Botanical Soc. before and it seemed , at the time to be restricted to SA only.

The pdf from penroc is on an old computer, which seems to have lost it's windows page but some things can be found by bringing up a menu at the top somehow! If I found it I don't think I could print it off, it was one of those mile wide things. I could email it to myself, maybe IF I can find it. I have used the computer on the odd occasion when my new one has frozen up, but sometimes it can play strange games. I just wish these people in SA could make things easier!

The last company I got the list of bulbs from was www.simplyindigenous.co.za remember they only sell seed wholesale but have some great bulbs, with a large minimum order.

This is how they require payment

"Payment can be made by credit card (only master or visa) or by international money transfer. It is far too dangerous to send any cheques to South Africa & cash is an absolute NO. We require authorization from our bankers before we may process large international credit card transactions (at this time approximately US$3000.00 +). Credit card details may be faxed to us or emailed in 2 or 3 separate emails if you prefer, for security reasons. Please fax or email us a short note with all your details (name, address, contact numbers, passport number) clearly stating that you authorize us to charge the specific amount to your credit card. No matter how big or small the transaction might be, our bank insists that all international credit card charges are accompanied by the client’s authorization in writing."

Hmmm, they might just as well mug me in the street and steal my passport!

Baa, when do Kirstenbosch put out their new catalogue, it would appear as from 1st January as the one Mark sent stated valid until end Dec 05 I think.

Yes it's January.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.