Gladiolus

Horsens, Denmark

I think I will survive LOL!!!

Love the hosta manes, there is one called Guacamole LOL, and I don`t no what else.
Check these names
http://www.hostadanmark.dk/butik_hosta.asp?id=A

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Wow................. i have sent that link to a friend of mine in scotland, she collects hosta and has a few hundred varieties...................... thank you for that link!!!

Yes there some fantastic names arent there..............
I have one called Jolly Green Giant............. another called Zippity Do Da............. LOL
Love the ones with weird names!!!

Mark

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Nice hosta Mark, if yuo want to get a good variety the place I got mosst of mine from is Bowden's they have around 1,000 varieies. They have handed over now to their daughter and son in law. You might think some pants are quite expensive, but that depends on many factors. What I did find is they will be true to form, not like some you might purchase from a Garden Centre which are often tissue cultured and variable, I bought a Francee and it looked right when small, now it is completely different. They sell divisions.

http://www.bowdenhostas.com/aboutus.html

I spent a long time drooling over others I wanted, but there are other plants and one can only cope with so many of one type.

zest, I sympathise with you! It took me forever to find it again when I dug it up for someone else! You said:

"I wonder who designed that page"

Answer:

Someone from the Customs & Excise who doesn't want anyone to find it so they can tell you what you have done wrong and charge you lots of money!

Here is the page

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_ShowContent&propertyType=document&resetCT=true&id=HMCE_CL_001454

The notice 143 page

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000014&propertyType=document

For UK, downloadable or just open, pdf file on VAT rates

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_ShowContent&id=HMCE_PROD_009989&propertyType=document

zest, I have Guacamole, it is robust and gorgeous.

I have a link to a Dutch site somewhere that sells some of the latest hostas from America, including Hanky Panky, they are so much cheaper than Balihai in Ireland, and have more newer ones. but they take bank transfers, no credit cards, which adds a lot to it but I suppose you do save on their prices.

Mark, would that friend in Scotland be Lorraine? aka digginloz on ebay? I bought one from her, and swapped a couple, but hers were small, hard pieces and either died, reverted, or didn't do well! Mine were large, growing divisions, live and learn!

Hi Janet....................... Not got that many hosta!!
Its not a plant that i want too many of.................. a lot of them look the same! Only get them really because i love the names...........!! Weird i know, but then i am!!
The chap down the road from me in a village called Somerby (6 miles away!!), has the national collection of Hosta!!! He has some really nice ones...........
Its not a plant that makes me drool Janet.....................LOL

Mark

Hmmm, when is this guys Open Day? Does he sell any?

BUT there are some great Hostas, if you only knew..................

Janet.................. he is open everyday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes he sells plenty................... I bought Fire and Ice from him a year or so ago........!!

I know there are some great Hostas............... but i just dont have the room for them..... Niagara Falls is a beautiful one...... loved that name!!!!!!! Have you seen it???

http://www.hosta.co.uk/ this is his site address, although he doesnt list any plants on there............ dont ask why!! I dont know the answer................

Hmm, if he had some of the new American ones, like Hanky Panky, I would visit, but like you, not enough space!

I have loads I have grown from seed off of mine, some very interesting leaf shapes and colours too! I really can't find a space for them, and they are in far too small pots just waiting!

you should write to my friend in scotland Janet....................... she has hundreds, including many american ones!!!
write to her and tell her i gave you her email address!!
i will d-mail it to you!!!

Mark

I wonder if it is the smae person Lorraine gets hers form, she has a near neighbour who has hundreds from all over!

Does she mind selling to others?

I got my final bill from Silverhill seeds, they will be on their way now!

No Lorraine doesnt get any from Derrick Target................... she gets hers from all over the place incl USA!!

She does sell to people Janet......................... but not all of them....... you will have to ask her!! Just tell her you are a friend of Mark in Caistor............. you will be fine!!

Ooooooooooooooo did you get lots from silverhills?????????????????

Mark

Janet

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZdiginlozQQssPageNameZSTRKQ3aMEFSQ3aMESOI

Link is for Lorraines stuff on ebay!!! Have a look

I have a list of her hostas which she sent me, but I wasn't happy with her plants so I wouldn't go down that road again. I hope she isn't watching! Sorry Loz!

Thanks Mark, if you dmail me your friends email addy I might contact her, maybe next year!

I listed the seeds above from silverhill, it was marginally less in price than the order came to with postage, so it looks like they have them all, the exchange rate is taken into account. Just over £40 in total!

I have a list of her hostas which she sent me, but I wasn't happy with her plants so I wouldn't go down that road again. I hope she isn't watching! Sorry Loz!

Thanks Mark, if you dmail me your friends email addy I might contact her, maybe next year!

I listed the seeds above from silverhill, it was marginally less in price than the order came to with postage, so it looks like they have them all, the exchange rate is taken into account. Just over £40 in total!

(trying again, got a No Data notice!)

Ohhhhhhhhh dear................... sorry to hear you werent happy with her plants!!!......... But then again its nothing to do with me i guess!! LOL
As a matter of interest, what was wrong with them???

Ok, i will d-mail you the addy in a while............

Hope the order arrives ok and they do well for you me dear..............!!! Should be fun growing that lot!!!!!

Mark

Horsens, Denmark

Mark
Crazy about the hostas name as well, I get a good laugh
I bought then here
http://www.theplantexplorer.dk/Oversigt2.htm
it is less expensive that the first one I send, and the hostas are very fine

Janet.
You are totally right, they can be greedy LOL, have saved the link. Thanks
Wow, Bowden's really have lots of hostas! Will have to go back at look at them again.
Was not into hostas before, but wow there are so many that there is one for every taste.
I love the big ones, they look exotic in a garden.
Hope your order get safe to you ;o))

Monica

Thanks Monica

I will have a look at that site later......................

Mark

Mark, as stated above on the 11.11am post (12.11 actually)

"I bought one from her, and swapped a couple, but hers were small, hard pieces and either died, reverted, or didn't do well! Mine were large, growing divisions, live and learn!"

Yes I will have fun growing them , along with all the Chilean seed I have yet to sow!

zest, Bowden's hostas are very good, they only send them in the growing season when they are in leaf, I would recommend them to anyone. My tastes needs to be narrowed to the very special ones if I get any more. They can become addictive!

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Hostas slug pellets? I can't afford them both Lol

No seriously i tried some from seed this summer and have been really surprised at how easy it was. I have quite a few in the garden i think the key is to grow them in a sunny spot and then the slugs leave well alone.

Mark, I know what you men about who's sorting out the bedding at brigg Lol I didn't like to say that as you never know who you are offending!
I know a few stories about the garden centers near here but thats a whole new thread. And not for general viewing Lol

The Italian stuff i was talking of was not the normal specimens. There are hundreds of small nurseries in the north. We will see.

Have fun with those Slug foods

Mike

Janet
oooooooooooooppssss missed what you said on the 12.11 post............... dont know how but i did! Sorry!
Oh dear............ doesnt sound very good............ like you say, you live and learn!!

Chilean seed too................. you are gonna be busy!!!

All i have to worry about are my good old crocosmia.............

Mark

I am going to try growing some Hosta from seed i think.................. Got some free from Ian Scroggy once!!! When do you sow them??????????????/

Oh so you know about the bedding at Brigg.................??? How you know about that then???? LOL
Doesnt bother me at all if i offend the Stubs's................
tell me more................I like stories about what goes on in Garden Centres.............hehehehehehe

The Italian stuff has gotta be better than the dutch................ cant be any worse!!!

Here is a good tip for keeping slugs or anything else off your plants!!! As soon as the plants appear in spring, make up a garlic solution and spray your plants!!!! Not a slug or anything else will go near your plants!! Plus its totally organic!!!

Thats my tip for the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great tip Mark!

I sow Hosta seed in March in a greenhuose, they do grow easily, mine are usually kept fairly shaded but I don't think a little sun hurts for starting them.

Keep them in their trays for a year or two (depending on how robust they are) until they get some size, the roots will be better developed and they transplant well then.

Gonna be busy? I already am!

Thanks for the info Janet................ I will try to grow some! Canr remember now what they are, but when i find the little packets i will let you know!!

Wow, keep them in trays for 2 years???? Thats a long time...............

I am already busy Janet...................... Work and garden when i can!!

Garlic barrier thats awfull stuff.Lol We tested it a couple of years and i think washing everything in rain water is more effective heheh
I do love the way every gardener gets different results and each person swears by there way. As you will see by my different hosta seed sowing method shortly heheh. We used the Garlic barrier think its the william sinclair one so could be under new horizons brand but could be any of there brands. It didn't stop spider mite and greenfly. But did stink the greenhouses out so badly no people went near Lol.

Seriously it wouldn't be right for me to say on here about the garden centres as you never know who reads this stuff.

My Hosta seed was sown in may but left in one of those cheap plastic propagators in the north side of the house so it didn't get too hot. I was looking for an even temperature of about 18oC night and day. They come up in less than 3 months. I potted them into cells when they where small as the roots can be brittle. Like i say everyone has there own way! Lol To be honest i did them late as every flat surface is taken up with bedding from end of Jan onwards.

Speak soon

Mike

Mike

I am not on about garlic barrier that you buy from the shop....................... that is rubbish!!
I make my own.................... Derrick Target the collection holder of Hosta at somerby uses it every year on his hosta and there isnt one nibble on his hosta!!!

I use it on my crocosmia.................. nothing goes near them!! Plus it makes the leaves shine on your hostas and crocosmia!!!!!

Email me then Mike about garden centres.................. that way no one will be able to read it.
markfox2001@ntlworld.com

Every surface i have is taken up with crocosmia plants..................... Stacked in a pyramid form for the winter.....!!!! From December until march!

Mark

Phew bet his garden smells B U Beatifull Lol It does make sense though. Just can't see me being bothered. Far to lazy.

All i can say is maybe its a waste of lovely surfaces hehehe Only jokin.

Honestly my lips are seald on the story telling front. Some of these people influence my life or are customers of ours so its really not fair. But i figured you'd know about the stubs affair. Lol It didn't seem to be a secret. I heard about a year ago the guy that owns the field opposite wyevale near you was setting up a garden centre (he used to grow straw berries) have you heard anything? Also it was in the news about Greenways closing down. i think there up your neck of the woods too.? Stubs family any closer to finding a place the other side of the humber bridge? It does amaze me that there are no real big succesfull centres in lincolnshire all the big ones are big because there big, not because there good!.
A friend of the family owns Strikes/Klondike's so i had the grand tour round there newest one. Was a real eye opener. Still not a plant persons store but good retail standards etc.

Its a very small industry.

Mike

surprisingly, it doesnt smell at all..................... amazing isnt it!!! But, the main thing is it works...........

I dont blame you for keeping your lips sealed................. like you say, you never know whos watching!!! Or who knows who.......... not that it bothers me........ i dont know anyone!!
Wyevale.............. isn't that in Louth?????????? Noooooooo, i dont know anything about the guy that is setting up a garden centre.......
Never heard of Greenways either.....................LOL
The stubs, found a place in Lancashire.......... but that seems to have died a death........ probably fell through!!
I think they have enough on their hands with Brigg and that other dump they own!!!
Personally i detest garden centres...................... i much prefer to find a little nursery somewhere in the middle of nowhere, that just sells plants and nothing else!!
I dont want to go to a graden centre and trapse round all the giftware and clothing and garden chairs and all that junk.......... i am there for the plants or the compost!!! Mind you............. with big garden centres, that means buying dutch plants i guess............
Where are Strikes/Klondike's?????????????
Non of em are plant persons stores anymore......................LOL

Oh yes............ its a small industry!!

Have you ever been to cottage nurseries at Alford...................???
Its a bit run down but some of the plants are fantastic............ find alsorts in there!!

Mark

Monica

Your Tacca seed and some others i have picked out for you.............. are on their way over to you as i write this!!!!!

I have no idea how long it will take to reach you.................. but shouldnt be too long!!!

Mark

Horsens, Denmark

Hi Mark
Delightful, can hardy waith LOL
Thanks very much

Monica :o))

Monica, Surely you have not asked for crocosmia bulbs!! Lol

Mind you. You could return the favour and send some of that clover of yours heheheh

I need to be more carefull about being rude about plant types it could back fire if i ever start to like them. Mind you i'm still young so a long while before i start buying an old ladies plants. Lol

Mike

Mike

Nooooooooooooooooo just Tacca seed................. and some others that i sent for her to try out!! Because i am sooooooooooooooooooo kind!!!! LOL

I don't want any clover................... got enough weeds!!!!

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo you are getting so cheeky young man!!!!!
LMAO

MONICA....................... YOU ARE WELCOME................ HOPE YOU ENJOY!!!!!

Mark

Horsens, Denmark

Ohh what are we going to do with you Mike LOL, we sould send you a ton of oxalis and
Crocosmias LOL ;o))). You`ll surely be smitten with then :o))

Mark
You are right Mike is getting cheeky LOL (has a wonderful humour, but don`t tell him that hehe :o))
That you are, a very kind gentleman, thanks for the seeds

Eh, I'm going deaf in my old age Lol
I had a nightmare last night someone had taken offence at my jokes and covered my garden in old ladies plants ......

heheheh

Horsens, Denmark

ohhhh old lady....... watch out you don`t get grey hairs from that nightmare LOL

The good news is.................... someone has already covered his garden with crocosmia!!!!! LOL

http://www.simplesite.com/CROCOSMIA/5330361

work in progress!!!!!!

Horsens, Denmark

I smell conspiracy in the air hahahah

Mark your site is coming along very nicely, good job :o))

Yes i agree............. i smell conspiracy in the air also.......................LOL

Thank you Monica............ i was inspired by you, my favourite Dane!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Horsens, Denmark

Danes were vikings you know, did a lot of mischievousness in your part of the world LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.