Wandering Jew Plants

Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

Maybe we could do one early spring with either rooted or unrooted cuttings. It would be alittle more troublesome to wrap each plant.

I did notice you had added to your order, however I had already order some more from another coop and figured I better pass on the extras.

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

ohhhhhhh those rainbow jews are amazing! i have got to have one! i would sure be interested in a co op with them! i see a lot of jews i don't have. they are only 8.00 for 100 unrooted cuttings! if anyone orders please let me know.

kelly

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

lol I've thought of that, too. I didn't, though, because there were a lot of plants per tray to fill and it seemed like a lot of work for all the varieties I wanted. hahaha You're welcome to go for it, though. If there's something you don't put on there that I absolutely must have (please add begonias!!), I might follow after you. ; ) lol

Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

Do they sell to the general public.

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

lol I just now started worrying about hijacking the thread and then I remembered...it's your thread. hahaha

Anyways, I don't know if they'll sell to the general public. I just now tried calling and got their machine. I wonder how hard it would be to pose as a business, though. Oh, but I'm not suggesting that, okay? I would never suggest something like that! Not me... ; ) lol

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

All right, this is ALL your fault! Went plant shopping Sunday ~ not really shopping as there was nothing special I wanted. I found this plant. It is a type of jew maybe white velvet?

Thumbnail by podster

and... I found this plant. Same thing only different. Tell me what it is. The bottom leaves look dead in the picture. They are not, just a reddish color.

Thumbnail by podster
Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

Not sure what they are, however they are both gorgeous. Never seen the reddish one. Where did you find them at.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Podster, same plant, more sun. I have a large one that dies back to the pot every winter and immediately starts growing again. Imagine my dismay the first time it happened. I had never seen one before at that point and almost cried. Three weeks later, small fuzzy leaves were growing again.

My oldest wandering jew is one I have had since the early 70's. It is just plain green but has many stripey cousins now.

These guys came from Walmart. I always go in the garden center door but rarely find anything.

I do know these are all related but will find out if it is the same plant as the green one. I think the green is the one that is called 'white velvet'. I am thinking these two are related but different?

This is my old one ~ had it for many years. It is more pinkish purplish colored... notice the back side of the leaves on the left hand of the photo.

Thumbnail by podster
Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

Snapped a couple this morning on my way to the truck.

Purple Heart

Thumbnail by snboyken
Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

Baby Jew

Thumbnail by snboyken
Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

Assortment of Jews

Thumbnail by snboyken
Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

Another Shelve with Jews

Thumbnail by snboyken

What a beautiful collection of jews! Nice pair of frogs too. : ))

Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

Friend at work gave them to me for my birthday this year. One plays the guitar and one a horn, My boys play those as well.

How special and appropriate too. They fit in with gardening and family... nice!

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey everyone, just found this thread, love the pics. I'll see if I can get some pics of my Jews tomorrow.

I think the 5th pic at top from red_princess at 12:06 on Jul 24 is a Purple Heart also. I call them Purple Queens. I know they will also be different colors under different conditions. Listed in PlantFiles here http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1160/index.html with pics of both green and purple.

Heathrjoy, I do believe you are correct ~ one of the two, depending on lighting conditions. This is the purple heart or T. setcreasea purpurea in the ground in good sun...

Thumbnail by podster

This is T. setcreasea pallida, planted in the same conditions... Under dimmer lighting, it is a paler green.

Thumbnail by podster
Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey, I got something right! I'm going to have to hightlight today on my calender, LOL!!

I was just planning on going out in a few minutes and taking some cuttings of some of my Jew plants to share with others. I'll have to take pics before I cut.

Where did most of y'all get your Jew plants? Mine came from Wal-Mart, Home Depot, and places like that....anytime I can sneak one in the cart without DH noticing I do.

Also, I didn't realize that the Moses' Cradle was a Jew plant. Now I think I know why mine hasn't been growing too well. I was treating it more like an annual/tropical, I think that's how it was marked at HD. Go figure. I'll be potting it DOWN today.

Thanks for the great thread!
Heather

Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

Most of mine where from cuttings. I did buy my var moses in cradle/basket and my purple heart that I put in yard. Would love to see your pics.

Heathrjoy ~ Look forward to your photos. I can't remember where most of mine came from ~ I have "sometimers" disease! Sometimes I can remember and sometimes....
I have had them for many years. The purple heart came from a guy who loves plants. His current passion is a Japanese Maple arboretum. I need to stay away from him! : )) pod

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's my big Wandering Jew plant, purple and green. It was labled as a 'Purple Jew' from Wal-Mart when I bought it last spring and was only about 1/2 way down the side of this basket I put it in. It's really taken off since putting it outside. I've also noticed that it loves to be misted.

Thumbnail by heathrjoy
Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

This is my Purple Heart or Purple Queen in bloom up close. I love the way the light shines through it! This one I've found loves to dry out a lot between waterings. The biggest growth I've had on it was when I hurt my back and couldn't get out to water anything...a lot of other things died, but the Purple Queen grew like a weed and began blooming.

I'll post pics of my Moses in a Cradle when I finally get it repotted. It looks pretty sad right now.

Thumbnail by heathrjoy

Nice purple plants! I love the purple heart photo. I always feel the blooms are a letdown but you have made it beautiful with that picture!

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Do any of you fertilize your Jews? If so, what do you use and how often?

Thanks Pod. I know what you mean by the blooms being a letdown. You can hardly see them on the plant, they are hidden in the foliage...and it's such a shame because they are such pretty little blooms. I was surprised at the pic I ended up with, that's not how it looked to the eye or on the cam. Wish I knew exactly how I did that, lol.

I dilute fertilizer in a gallon of water (less than normal) and use this to water the plant. I also add fertilizer beads to the soil when I pot them. How about the rest of you?

Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

Help me out here.This is my best pic for now.

Thumbnail by oriole
Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

I think I have fern,bridal veil,swedish ivy,ed jew,tahitian bridal veil,and ???
Thanks all. dixie

Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

Is hte tahitian bridal veil larger than bridal veil?

Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

Yes, at least I think so. I go just by what im told. hopefuly correct. dixie

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

What are you trying to ID? I see 5 hanging baskets and it looks like you named all of them. What am I missing? lol

The plant on the ground is Datura, right?

Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

Yes thats a datura. They returned from seed from last yr. I did not plant any I really dont care for them. I have a problem pulling any seedlings,
Wanted to know if my Id was correct. I still have 1 on the end that I will try to get a shot of for an ID. dixie

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

OMgosh, you don't like the Daturas? LOL! I love them! The fragrance is wonderful in the evenings. I only have a few this year, they are white w/ purple markings inside...beautiful. It looks like yours are yellow? I have a hard time getting mine to go to seed, my zone is just under yours, but the pods don't have enough time to develop...almost, but not quite. See, I think you're lucky! =^)

I'll be looking for you other pic.

Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

Oh here you go,I thought everyone lost interest. not a real great pic. I have a couple more on the other side of the breezeway. I hate to butt in this was to be wandering jews.
My daturas are all white or real light lavendar ,they have lavendar center,but I never noticed the scent.
dixie

Thumbnail by oriole

No way! Plant people don't lose interest... : ).

That is a pretty jew, is that the baby jew? Does it bloom?

I too love the daturas. A guy I know brought me the first seed pods he called it moonflower. I am partial to the fragrance and fascinated by sitting outside in the evening and watching the bloom unfurl. You can actually see it open. Very pretty plants Oriole, thanks for sharing... pod

The moses I picked up in June is growing like a weed. I potted it up in a bigger pot and when I went to move it outdoors, I found it had a passenger. This was a baby lizard...

Thumbnail by podster
Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

Idont know if its a jew or not I am hoping for some ID.

I am thinking it is the same as this one. I was told it was 'baby jew'...

Thumbnail by podster

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.