Please Share Pics of your Favorite Containers for 2006!

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Mid May I repotted my banana to the biggest pot I could find. It was originally in this greyish plastic one, which was big to me when I first planted it. I added a black sweet potato, a coleus and some other fillers.

This message was edited Sep 3, 2006 5:14 PM

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

This was taken July 2nd, before a heat wave that burnt a few of the edges of the top leaves. I couldn't believe how happy it was being repotted, it seemed to have doubled in size within 2 months.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

This was a newly planted one back in June. The heat wave fried some of the trailers bad so I just bought some replacement plants and will be redoing it this weekend.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Sue, I LOVE your combos! They're totally gorgeous. How much sun do you get? I want a banana next year, but have to see how much space I have available. Looks pretty big.

All these get morning sun, the banana probably at least half day. Here's that one with the big red coleus when I first planted it in mid may. Forgot to add that there's an Autumn Fern in there too.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I probably have that much sun, 2-3 hours in the morning, 2-3 in the late afternoon. Can bananas take much wind? Or would it shred the leaves. henry10 in Ohio says I can grow one, so I'd like to try. Maybe instead of my container water garden, though DH would have a cow. He loves the WG, but I'd like to try some new things. I have an Autumn fern in with some ivy. Can't wait till next year to see how it does.

Pearl River, LA

Here is another of my few containers. I wanted the fern to flourish but the coleu is dominating for now. shirley

This message was edited Aug 19, 2006 2:14 PM

Thumbnail by shirleyt
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Rev,

The people in CA can just go buy more stuff and wait a weekend. You and I, we have to plan and maintain our containers carefully!

Shirley, nice ferns, nice coleus, but wowee what a pot! It looks like you discovered it among some medieval ruins.... is it metal or fake? I love it!

xxxxx, Carrie

Pearl River, LA

Carrie I got it along with one just like it and a really large one like it about five or six years ago. I lost the large one when the large oak limb decided to take us out and I lost one like this one to Katrina. They are just regular pottery from a Josephine's Pottery in Springfield La.They have been left outside in the humidity all this time and I do not clean them because I like the look.... I found a pic of my ficus tree (that I let freeze ). I would like to share it with you guys. It is my all time favorite. The ficus froze but is trying to come back from the stump after I cut the dead tree away. The other plant popped back and I all ready posted that on July 27 at 12:36. It is my all time favorite container planter. shirley edited to say how much I love your pics on this site. I always rush to see what has been posted and garner Ideas from it for next year... Sue you out do yourself.

This message was edited Aug 19, 2006 6:06 PM

Thumbnail by shirleyt
SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Sue,
I have a purple banana tree in a small flowerbed that gets FULL sun most of the day. Unfortunately, I'm not there to water it regularly and it's languishing. There are several mismatched items in that flowerbed, namely:

a Crepe myrtle
two Sago palms
A philodendron? EE?
A Bridal Wreath spirea
two little small puff hedges that are taking FOREVER to grow. I put these together before I knew about their individual watering requirements. Big mistake, cause the Sagos like it dry and the Banana tree , the crepe myrtle, and the EE need much more water. The Spirea could care less as it droops when it wants to and blooms when you're not looking...

I've been thinking about digging up the EE and the rubber tree and puttling them in large pots instead. Please advise. Thanks.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

You people have some talent!! Beautiful! Here's my contribution.

Thumbnail by pheitmeyer
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

other mature container

Thumbnail by pheitmeyer
Dayton, OH(Zone 6a)

Here are some of my favorite container gardens that I have planted this year. I only raise succulents, just love them. I have tried to put plants with different colors and different shape/textured leaves into each pot to make them interesting. This one is all crassula. I did paint the pot before I planted it.

Thumbnail by schneeflocke
Dayton, OH(Zone 6a)

Here is a tiny one that is thriving.

Dayton, OH(Zone 6a)

And another one. Now its past my bedtime so good night 8-)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Wow, snowflake, I like the colored rocks or glass drops or whatever you call them. I'm just starting to put rocks and gravel on top of the mulch on top of my potted plants.

xxxxx, Carrie

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

And the gravel and rocks do what?

Dayton, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, it depends on who you ask. Gravel can be for decorative purposes and that is why I am adding the colored glass marbles on top of light colored gravel. For cactus and succulents I've read a reason for the gravel is to keep soil off the lower leaves and lower stems. It can also be used to keep evaporation from the soil below the gravel. It is important if you set your cactus and succulents in full sun and water sparingly. The pots can dry out really really quickly then. I've always covered the soil with gravel and I've been growing cactus and succulents for well over 20 years now. I am just now starting to use the colored glass marbles. I get them at Michaels when they put them on sale. It would probably be good on plants that like to have their soil moist. Might also keep unwanted plants from sprouting also.

Dayton, OH(Zone 6a)

I just completed my first rock garden yesterday. I wanted to try something new and different and I definitely suceeded. I wanted to attempt a tiered tiny rock garden and this is what I came up with. I really like the way it turned out. I am hoping that as the hens and chicks root I can add more soil up to the top of the white container. So now I just sparingly water, keep it in the sun and patiently wait. The top container contains cutting that have just barely rooted.

Dayton, OH(Zone 6a)

Here is another view.

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

My containers are starting to wind down now, but they are still beautiful, I have throughly injoyed them this season. Here are a few.

Viv

Thumbnail by Vizz8
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Schnee,
I think if you are patient, it will be beautiful.

xxxxx, Carrie

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

Had EE in it, but the heat got to them. This is what is left.

Thumbnail by ghia_girl
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

It's cold and rainy here and my EEs are really happy :-(

xxxxxx, Carrie

Lisbon, Portugal(Zone 10a)

Faabulous containers, everyone!

Dale - that pic you posted on Aug 18th is just amazing - what's in that windowbox??? It's absolutely gorgeous!!!

Love

Hiraeth

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Just some coleus, rasied from Park's Seed by my loving DG.

Thumbnail by pirl
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Splendid, the whole effect, the red brick and the red tones in the coleus, quite splendid!

xxxxx, Carrie

Thanks!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Pirl,

Are there different types of coleus in the one planter, or is that one big plant? I've started to realize that not all foliage is just green, last year and this, and now it seems to me that not all ordinary red coleus look the same either!

xxxx, Carrie

All different, Carrie and I just found five huge pieces on the ground, thanks to Ernesto - blowing through here right now.

Coleus Part 1 and Part 2!

I will take cuttings (from those in the vase) but check out the ones remaining outside and the height of the pieces blown off by the storm.

Thumbnail by pirl
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

My Aug 18th post was Schizanthus and lobelia in the box.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Drumheller, Alberta, Canada(Zone 3a)

dale_a_gardener,
How did you do the heart containers?
I would like to try a few
Dawna

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

tobee--you still watching this thread? Here is photo of my winter flowers from this afternoon.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

rex begonias, anyone?

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

I've never seen more begonias than that! It's more than amazing.

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

I hope you don't mind me jumping in here? Here's one of my containers..a planter box with artificial coloring (fence, beehive, and flowers) so if the flowers aren't blooming I still have color.

Thumbnail by betterbloom
DFW area, TX(Zone 7b)

Betterbloom, that is so adorable !

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

thanks, mahnot, and where are your pics ?

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Here was my favorite from last year. Love all the ideas you folks have shared.

Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.