Please Share Pics of your Favorite Containers for 2006!

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Outside Playing: Nice colors you have there, what are the pink flowers ?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I agree, what ARE those pink flowers? (caps to denote different emphasis)

xxx, Carrie

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

They are Diascia baraberae and I would call them coral pink :-)

The are from SAfrica. In Blythe, CA they would be winter flowers. In Milton, MA the would be summer flowers. They like cool weather, temps over 90* daytime or 75* nights will kill them. They are related to snapdragons and foxglove (Scrophulariaceae).

Here are some plants that are not related....

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I loved diascia in my garden last year! (My patio "garden" of course.) Here is a picture which I took because I liked the coral with the blue.

xxx, Carrie

Thumbnail by carrielamont
Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Yes, they are diascia - cranberry red. In the south (zone 7) they are a spring-to-early summer flower. They didn't last through our hot summer, but by then the 'Magilla' coleus had spread quite a big and the dwarf purple fountain grass had filled in more. I'll grow the diascia again though.

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks for the info on Diascia, you are right, they wouldn't last here through the summer. It was the coldest last night that I can remember it being in the three years I've been here. My pond was frozen, and some plants got froze also. I'm going to stay away from any plants right now until the weather warms up a bit.

West Jordan, UT

Actually, you could try Diascia integerrima 'Coral Canyon' or 'Pink Adobe'. They are both hardy diascias (have survived easily in my zone 6) and the 'Coral Canyon' has bloomed and bloomed and bloomed for me. It starts up at the end of May, slows briefly in our 100 degree days in July then goes nuts again until a hard frost- that was November for me this year. Mine has spread to fill in a 3 x 3 foot area in the front of my border but I'm sure it would also be a show stopper in pots. I've been totally unimpressed with other diascias I've tried (they can't take my climate) but the 'Coral Canyon' is the #1 herbacious plant in my garden that I wouldn't be without. A perennial that performs like an annual. Perfect. I'll be trying the 'Pink Adobe' this year. It's a little harder to find than cc but both are available through High Country Gardens.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I'll try them if I can find them. (I wonder which I had in my pot?) My climate is... how do I put this? a lot damper than yours. Last spring we had more rain in five weeks than we usually have in five months!!!

xxx, Carrie

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Heres mine from last year. Hypertufa

Thumbnail by TARogers5
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Is that the same as Papercrete?

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

There is no difference between Papercreate and Hypertufa except the ingredients. Use peat instead of paper.
Use rolled newspaper to form the texture on the sides. Too much work to make the papercrete

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Beautiful containers everybody! Here are a few of mine from last year.

(I posted this in another thread by mistake, so you may see the 1st picture twice....)

Thumbnail by goldfinch4
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

I had two of these at the end of the driveway.

Thumbnail by goldfinch4
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

And 2 of these by the front porch.

Thumbnail by goldfinch4
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

OK, I'll bite. Are those delphinium or what? The purple-blue tall ones.

xxx, Carrie

Pearl River, LA

OK.....hello everyone.... here is my favorite container of winter annuals taken today... I love these plants for winter... they look good and will withstand our winter...shirleyt

Thumbnail by shirleyt
Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

I can see why it would be your favorite, your flowers are beautiful also. Did you buy that container that way, or did you have to stack smaller pots inside ?

Pearl River, LA

The container was a present from my son and my daughter planted it in my hubbies favorite winter plants.. It came in one piece and can be made into a fountain if desired...It is very heavy but I am not sure of the material it appears to me to be concrete...

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

I would think it would be heavy. I am going to have to figure out how I can build up in my garden and not out.. That does give me an idea to work with.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Hi Carrie, the tall blue ones are Angelonia.
Shirley, very pretty!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Angelonia, huh? (trots off to Plantfiles to look them up!)

xx, C.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Park Seed offered the first Anelonia pelleted 'Serena' series this year. I ordered all the colors and, in a bio dome, all but one seed came up....They look healthy...i can't wait for the show to begin....I gave a DG neighbor the empty slots!! I am no pro in germination and these were easy!!

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Here are my favorites from last fall. I kept the same color scheme in all of my pots with copper colors from the sedum spurium, coleus, and mums, and a silvery seafoam green from Artemesia 'Silver Mound' and Cerastium 'Silver Carpet'. I used gold & a warm mauve mums (also repeated in the sedum) as accents. I've included a few of my favorite images from about seven pots that I planted as a fall display.

Thumbnail by willmetge
Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Thumbnail by willmetge
Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Thumbnail by willmetge
Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Thumbnail by willmetge
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Will, they're gorgeous! I can't decide whether I like mixed pots or not, but today I do.

Betty, I went so far as to put those Angelonia seeds in my cart at Park! I don't have space for a biodome or anything else inside, which is why I'm wintersowing this year. But I think I have a cheap online source for grown Angelonias.

xxxx, Carrie

(Caitlin) Fresno, CA(Zone 9b)

This was my favorite from last year. Not too complicated, but fun. =)

Thumbnail by Wifeygirl
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Nasturtiums and Calibrochoa? Great combination! Then lobelia and alyssum and something long. But in your zone, you should be able to grow anything with real dirt and water!

Do most of you buy your annuals or grow them? I just don't have the space for indoor starting and no greenhouse, so it's all wintersowing and purchasing pregrown plants. I usually buy annuals from Joyce Hazzard at www.hazzardsgreenhouse.com. She's super-nice and has what I want, usually at low low prices.

xxxx, Carrie

Port Charlotte, FL(Zone 10a)

WOW! That's all I can say after looking at all these gorgeous plantings! Thank-you

boone, NC(Zone 5b)

Wow. This thread has got me drooling to put together pots! Have. To. Stop. Thinking. Pots. Until. May. Found myself ordering a few little plugs yesterday, and even though the weather has been warm here of late, there's no doubt it will freeze right on back up here in the NC mountains before long. Anyhow, thought I'd share a few pots from last year as well.

Thumbnail by irmaly
boone, NC(Zone 5b)

Another

Thumbnail by irmaly
Victoria Harbour, ON

Sitting here, sighing, envious...what's a new gardener to do?
Task of doing gardens now seems overwhelming...need a million plants to obtain what you all have....better hit the Dollar Store and pick up some plastic ones..lol....can't compete that's for sure...you sure are lucky to be the gardeners you are!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.