Tell us your way to root proliferations !

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Actually taking a photo of the same spot in all seasons is fun, especially with snow.

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

pirl, that's a great container arrangement. Have you posted the pic on the container gardening forum? They would love it. The container is just great! I probably shouldn't have to ask, but what is the material of the container? Thanks.

Wellington, OH

Yes, they do look great - the coleus is beautiful. I never would have thought to do that - you are very creative.

Kay

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Found a proliferation on my first scape ever of Bela Lugosi! Thinking about air layering using wet paper towel in a sandwich bag. It would also mark the prolif so I don't forget it.

DFW area, TX(Zone 7b)

pirl - Beautiful coleus - love the arrangement.

I've seen it done like air layering - good luck.

It's a Mexican pot and all I did was plant the coleus from a packet of Park's seed that my DH grew. Thanks for all the compliments!

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Found a beginning prolif on a still green scape of Night Beacon that broke off. Put the whole scape in water and it seems to be growing.
Also - my patch of daylilies that hasn't gotten any watering this year doesn't have proliferations - whereas the patches that I water have them.

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Well now I know what a prolif is. I have a small bed of daylily NOIDS and sure enough, on one of the scapes, there are 2-3 prolif. It is still green so I will leave it as suggested above till it starts to brown.
Jan...

I know you didn't ask but I think I'd take it when you see roots forming. Either pot it up or put them in by the mother plant, mulch (not too close to the stem) and keep watered.

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

Kay, I need to start rooting those proliferations (from the NOID) and you can certainly have one.

Does someone have a suggested way to mail little proliferations with beginner roots? These are such tender plants and could not withstand the stress ( I wouldn't think) of shipping like mature plants can. Or am I wrong? Does someone have experience at doing this???????

Libby

A bunch of us did it last year. You can wrap the tiny roots with some wet paper toweling, then a tiny bit of Saran Wrap but try not to get the greenery. Newspaper all around them and off they go - 2 day delivery. Oh yes, a label!

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

I just tripped over this thread.....interested because I was wondering what a proliferations was. I never knew that daylilies could do that. I don't have many daylilies, but i am certainly going to be checking them out for little prolifs. Now if I could just figure out what a NOID is? (No Identification?) I love DG. I have learned so much in the past year.....in fact, I think that I learn something new everytime I log on.

Marie

Bixby, OK

I have heard that there is a prolduct that stimulates proliferation production in daylilies. If you know the name of the product and have had experience using it please let me know your results.

Marie_ - The Olsen's hosta is thriving!

NOID's are exactly what you thought - no identification.

Now I have a field of daylily plants marked with "?" so I don't have to wonder why I didn't put names with them.

Isn't it wonderful to constantly be learning? I love it.

Wellington, OH

Libby - Thank you so much. It is going to be exciting to have a Daylily that knows how to produce ( or should I say reproduce?) I keep checking all of mine at least twice a day - guess I believe in miracles - but still only the one.

Marie, I agree, I feel like I'm learning something new all the time. It really makes gardening more fun too.

Kay

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

Kay, I got 13 proliferations off 'Fertile Mertle" (as someone suggested I call my NOID !) this morning and stuck them in water, so cross your fingers that they root. Maybe I should put half of them is potting soil !!?? They all had the tiny little roots you see on the bottom of prolifs so it souldn't take too long to see some growth.

Wellington, OH

Libby - That's amazing. Does that mean that she had a lot of scapes or more than one on each scape? Tell Fertile Mertle that I'm looking forward to meeting her daughter and will take great care of her. Fingers are crossed. Kay

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

She had more than one scape (maybe 5 - I can't remember) . Some scapes had 3 or 4 proliferations on them ! She is very "fertile" and her babies will be up for adoption soon.

I was clearing an area today, cutting back scapes and foliage, to get more room to plant more daylilies and they started coming at me: scapes from every direction. So far I've kept them fairly well labeled, wrapped in wet paper towels and in sandwich sized bags. When I get enough I'll put a lot of names in a bowl and pick one person on this thread who'll get them.

If anyone doesn't have the space or doesn't want them please speak up. My Lhasa, Harry, will supervise the drawing!

pirl....nice to know that Myron and Hilda are happy on the east coast. They are apparently really happy here on the lake as well. I just dug up a bunch (six really big clumps) and gave them to mom and dad. They moved and didn't have the heart to dig up all of their plants. (They should have....the new owners just let everything go.) They will easily have four nice sized plants out of each one. So.....are the Olson's lancifola?

Marie

They're lovely. So sprightly and so happy to be on Long Island. I have many named varieties but the Olson Hosta is very special to me.

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

pirl, guess I must have lost you there somewhere . Exactly WHAT is it that I might win???? LOL. (Isn't that like a woman - doesn't really care what it is - just wants to be "in the pot" !!!)

All my proliferations: medium tall peach (many), medium height great pink (2) - one of our hybrids, many Little Wine Cup, two very tall peach, four medium height lavender/purple and any more I find.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Ah.. she's keeping the names of the daylilies under her hat.. very sneaky young lady! :)

See.. all someone has to say is Pink and Purple and I am there going what where?? I have one of Pirl's hybrids.. gorgeous!! one of my favorite flowers this year. And it made a pod for me..

The pink one is from that group, Jazz, but it's a bit lower - same big Munson eye.

The tallest peach is a Munson red by the Munson Chamonix and NOT a show stopper but tall - great for deadheading and backing up a border.

The other peach is like the energizer bunny - it multiplies faster than two active bunnies and makes lots of proliferations.

The lavender/purple is because I've moved so many and know it's in that range of color but some people see some lavenders as light purple and I'm just not that eye talented. It a cross by Fellow and "I forgot". I could look it up for anyone.

Little Wine Cup is a great back up group for any main attraction daylily that has some wine in it - it's the violet, not purple grape juice kind of wine. Small flower, medium height, holds it's deadheads quite neatly and not like floppy "dishrags".

Who wants to be in for the running besides Jazz?

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

I want to say "Me,Me,Me" , but I need to get rid of about 200 daylilies, not get some unnamed ones, so I guess I am going to force myself to pass- but you don't know how hard this is:~(

Hope some lucky people are still reading this thread - if not, well Jazz, it will be your lucky day!

Fear not. I'm not yet done. It will be at least a week or two before I can possibly complete my rounds of cutting back the daylilies and that's how I'm finding them.

I have at least 25 unidentified green scapes, standing in water, with high hopes, too.

Sorry, corgimom.

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

pirl, if I have ones(prolifs) you want let me know and I will attempt to send it to you. most have small roots now (some are about 1" long but break very easily). I don't see how they can be shipped without those tender roots breaking as easily as they do !!!!

This message was edited Aug 8, 2006 9:07 AM

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm looking for lots more daylilies, ID's not necessary as they are just for color and effect along a sidewalk in front of my house. I'm sure I can find something to trade but it will probably be tropicals or florida natives since that is what I have most of. I will have tons of snail vine cuttings available soon also.
Jan...

Me Me Me Me......I would love something from Pirl's garden! I've got plenty of orange ditch lilies (out in the ditch along the driveway) and others that are yellow and dark orange. They have been here since god I think. This year I bought my first 3 daylilies and would love to add more.

Marie

We'll just have to wait and see what name comes out of the magic bowl. (Tension, tension!)

Wellington, OH

Pirl - I would love my name be added to the magic bowl. I'm don't mind NOIDs at all...they are still beautiful. Actually, other than the few I bought this year, I have no idea what the names of mine are - I never kept the names of anything before DG. Funny how that changes :) Kay

Beaver Falls, PA(Zone 6a)

Just thought I'd share my recent prolif experience with all of you. Pirl knows how much I enjoy rooting and sharing prolifs. We moved on the 26th of July and before we had to hand the keys to the new owners, we had a few days to move my flowers to their new home. We moved about 130 daylilies, most had to be dug, divided, and replanted. We also have some growing in pots that I will plant as soon as the weather cools. Those 90 plus degree days that we had last week were absolutely murder to have to work in. But we did it, and things don't look too, too bad. While digging up some of Prairie Blues eyes, I saw that there were several prolifs. One of the scapes came out of the clump that I was moving, and the prolif on that scape had not yet formed the tiny nubs where the roots will eventually come from. Last fall, Claire sent me a prolif from Jersey Spider that just would not grow those nubs, and we were running out of time to get it to root before the cold weather came. I tried to get it to root but was unsuccessful and it died. Claire was kind enough to share some of Jersey Spider with me this year, so I now have this wonderful plant. But I digress...I took the scape (which was still green) with the Prairie Blues Eyes prolif on it, and in desperation, cut the end at an angle, and placed the scape in water. After a week, the nubs have now formed, and I can root it in water or plant it in a light weight soil. I usually root my prolifs in water, so now I will do that. Just wanted to share how placing the scape in water bought the prolif some time so that it was able to grow those important little nubs that precede the roots. Growing prolifs is a learning experience and I think that every bit of information we can gather about our successes is important.

Linda

DFW area, TX(Zone 7b)

And while she was doing all that, she found time to
send me the list she had made of daylilies that
proliferate.

Thanks again, Linda.

Just another great teacher here at DG.

Linda is a pro at growing and sharing her pro's!!!

Good luck and much happiness in your new home, Linda!

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Yes I am finding my prolif of Night Beacon is continuing to grow on the scape that I put in water. I am wondering if it might be handy to just take all of the scapes with prolifs, label them, and keep them in a bucket of water with a moist paper towel around the base of the prolif. To keep them all in one place. I will try this and let you know...

Jamestown, KY(Zone 6a)

Pirl, That is generous of you. Ya know how much I love daylilies of any color, size, etc. BUT, I have bunches and although I would love something from your garden, I think a person with less than I should have them. So, good luck to everybody whose name goes in the hat.

On another matter, yesterday I got about 50 prolif into cups of water. I waited too long on Musical Mosaic, it had dried up.

Judy

Judy: I have two dried up ones that I planted anyhow. Hope springs eternal in the hearts of gardeners. Now to find the photos.

These are my NCIH attempts.

Thumbnail by pirl
Jamestown, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh I have it in water also. heehee..with fingers crossed.

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

pirl, if you can pull those through you are a miracle woman!!! LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.