Tell us your way to root proliferations !

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

You can only add a photo if you are the one adding the term.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Good luck, Kayellen!

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Found a prolif today on Piano Man, AND a new bloom stalk coming up. Also a new bloom stalk on Pasque Flower...Is that what a rebloomer would be doing now? Is there a thread somewhere listing all of the rebloomers?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

That would be some list! A fun one. I would guess that you could get a list by doing a custom search on Tinkers and asking for rebloomers. That makes the most sense to me. I know that there is a list of rebloomers for iris so it makes sense but there are an awful lot of reblooming daylilies.

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

ohhh, a prolif on Piano Man ! Lucky you ! Nice one to have a prolif on.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Corgimom and mgh, I'm pretty sure that you can add a picture, or add another definition by clicking 'add a definition', and put your picture up there.

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Yeah, we could do that. I guess I just thought your def. was good, so it didn't need more. ;o) Do you think we could enter in what it says on the AHS website, or would that be plagiarism?

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

I wondered that too.... Lots of Garden Terms have more than one definition, too

This message was edited Aug 13, 2006 12:33 AM

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

The prolif that I wrappped in moist paper towel and then foil is growing roots nicely. I will wrap the other prolifs on stalks that I cut and put in a vase of water. That way I won't forget about them; not sure yet if they continue to develop this way or not.
Plan to grow them together in a separate bed to see if they are more likely to form prolifs themselves.

This message was edited Aug 13, 2006 7:08 AM

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

With the lack of rain here this year, I have had only one prolif. It was on Age of Aquarius. I just cut it off and stuck it in the ground. Need to check and see if it still look ok. that's what I usually do if they have little roots on them at the time I cut them off. Otherwise,I put them in water for a week or two and then stick beside the parent plant. Dragons Eye had at lest 6 last year and Fat Lady Sings also 3 or 4. That one is still blooming, so may have some this year. Here is Dragons Eye.

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

caitlinsgarden, interesting "study" you have going there - please do keep us updated on how things go. I continue to check mine in vermiculite. They get browner by the day. I need to hurry and pot them in something else. They root fine in it but then I think it keep them TOO wet !

some in water are doing great, some are turning real yellow. For those that are turning yellow, is there anything I should add to the water, or should I do something else?

I have really enjoyed this thread everyone and appreciate everyone's comments and observations. I am learning so much from ya'll !

Every single one I tried in water, last year, died. Every one I planted next to the mother plant lived. That's been my history with them.

Wellington, OH

I read somewhere on these boards about starting seeds in water (just until they sprout) with a little hydrogen peroxide. I can't remember where it was - I scan a lot looking for information. Just wondering if a little hp in the water might help your prolifs root sooner? Or maybe not?

I think Pixydish uses HP in water but I'd keep a very close eye on those seeds or they could turn to mush. How about a wet paper towel inside a plastic bag and check them twice a day. Keep them someplace warm to aid in germination. The top of a refrigerator is mentioned a lot but it's harder to remember to look at them when they're out of sight.

DFW area, TX(Zone 7b)

pirl, It just goes to show you that babies belong with
their mamas in order to thrive :o)

Proliferations do but as far as humans that's a subject for another thread!

Wellington, OH

Thanks, Pirl.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Hey! Today I was out checking out the daylilies.. pondering the way the scapes stay green when there is a pod ripening, Noting a new scape on Elegant Candy (Exciting) and on my way back to the house I found a Proliferation on Linda! On one of the scapes that my Dad "depodded! I was very excited and happy to have that one give me my first prolif since I got it in memory of my mom (Thanks again cbrandenberg)

Joy! Couldn't happen to a nicer person.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks Pirl :)

Wellington, OH

Jazz - That's wonderful - must be very exciting for you. Kay

DFW area, TX(Zone 7b)

What a pleasant surprise. Good for you.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Yep.. I just need to remember to watch it so I can get it into the ground when it's ready :)

Prolif's from Little Wine Cup - over 20 of them.

Thumbnail by pirl

I can't help but wonder why some are so slow growing while others are 5" tall - same exact plant.

Thumbnail by pirl

These are from the scapes that I thought just might form a prolif. I did get a few but not many. They were all standing in a jug of water (frequently changed) for a few weeks.

Thumbnail by pirl

I potted these up the day I took them from the mother plant.

Thumbnail by pirl

Look at these roots! This happened in one month's time. They were planted in our compost and some Pro Mix.

Thumbnail by pirl
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

great pictures to add to our thread ! thanks.

I am afraid I am not having luck at all with my prolifs. They are shrinking - most are dead. Seemed to rot in the soil. Don't know what caused that . We have not had rain and I sure don't think I over watered them !!

Looks like Yazoo Jim Terry and Mad Max might be my only survivors. It is still out on my NOIDS (the yellow gold spidery one that had so many prolifs on it). They were potted up so much later than the others. They are sickly looking , but not rotting. Will wait and see.

How are the rest of you doing with yours ? Any pictures of their growth ( or lack of it?).

Four of the many I had wrapped in wet paper toweling lived - all the others died. Planting them immediately works best for me.

Congratulations Marie_, winner of the most proliferations. Sent via USPS this afternoon.

Kayellen - a package went out to you, too, today.............and

daylily 4201........you, too!

Enjoy!

Jamestown, KY(Zone 6a)

Whoopeeee!! Here I am watching for the mailman...thanks, Pirl, You are a gem!
Judy

DFW area, TX(Zone 7b)

I don't know about you, pirl, but I'd be hurt.

A gem is a semiprecious stone. :o )

I'm pleased as can be. :-)

(Zone 7b)

pirl is definitively a diamond.

I'm almost speechless! Thank you, Cheryl.

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

I'm out of town, but will be home in time for the mail-lady on the 8th. Pirl.....you are a pearl.....and I can hardly wait to see my new babies. What a treat to get home to such a nice surprise. I'm imagining horrors in the garden with having been away so long. I'll be back on-line when I get home.

Now I remember you writing of going away so the plants will arrive tomorrow and just wait for you.

Sorry! Guess I had a "Pirl Jam".

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

although it was some weeks ago that I took these pictures I wanted to post them just to have them attached to this thread. These are my proliferations about week 2 after collecting them. The first week they looked great , but went downhill from there. As you can see they yellowed both in water and also those potted in vermiculite. What was the problem? Most of them completely rotted. I potted all of them up right after these pictures but very few made it !! Pirl - you are the "gem". What went wrong????

Thumbnail by corgimom
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

here are the ones in water ( I used distilled water)

Thumbnail by corgimom

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.