Tell us your way to root proliferations !

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

Along the same lines:

I found a prolif on my cousin's dwarf Kniphofia (Red Hot Poker) and rooted it this summer. You never know where you might find one!

Robert.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I found prolifs on Pastel Classic and Trahlyta and also put them in the gound next to the mother plant.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

It's very exciting. free plants!! No digging! lol

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

That's the sweet part of it - no digging - quick planting! Yipee!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

The prolifs that I took off of the plant and stuck in potting mix are doing well. They are in 1 quart containers. I still have one that is wrapped with potting soil and then saran wrap and one with a wet paper towel and foil that have green scapes.

I did recently read that for proper air layering the plastic should be black though because the roots will grow better in the dark. Worth a try.

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

doss, are you taking pics???

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

OK, here are some pics. This one is the one where I put the dirt wrapped in plastic wrap on the scape. This is one I haven't cut off yet. Remember, this is just an experiment. I don't know how this is going to turn out.

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's one using the foil and damp paper towel method. The next post I'll show you a scape that's been in potting mix for about a week from the foil and paper towel method.

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

here's a prolif that has been in the potting soil about a week after the foil and paper trial. It had very short bumps but the foil fell off and I decided to take the prolif off while the scape was still green. I just have to do the experiment, you know?

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here are two prolifs that I only saw after their scapes were almost brown. There was only a little streak of green on one side of the scape. The one on the left is losing it's old leaves but you can see new growth there. These have been in the pots about 3 weeks.

Thumbnail by doss
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

and those last ones, if I read the few letters of the tag and figured it out correctly, was Jane Trimmer? How lucky ! Wish mine had prolifed.(is that a word?)

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Yes, they are Jane Trimmer, Magic of Oz, Cranberry Angels, and Heaven's Portals. Let's hope that they all make it! I'm wondering if I set the one in the third photo too high out of the soil. Any opinions?

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

Heaven's Portals? Nope, doesn't look it to me ! They look great doss. Congrats on the fine crop.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Heaven's Portals set more seed than Ed Brown and bloomed over a longer period and it proliferated! What more can you ask for?

Thumbnail by doss
Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Whew Whee Libby, this is a honkin' long thread yer got yerself goin' here! Lots 'o fun talk about freebie plants an' all! ( Sorry LOL, don't know where the hillbilly talk came from, must be this AM's redneck and hillbilly talk in chat) ☺

Lookin' good Dorothie, eventually you can pop off that remaining stump of scape as it totally dries off, once the roots stabalize the baby, no more use for it.

Come on prolifs, grow and thrive as the fall and winters sets in!

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

how do you start a "continuing" thread so this won't get any longer???

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You go and start a new thread and say it's continued from this thread and put in a hyperlink to this thread. Then you come back here and post the hyperlink to the new thread and announce that it's continued. Do you need help?

Done!

Doss - the height is fine with the prolif you thought might be too high. If you'll be leaving it in the pot for winter you might add a bit of mulch but otherwise it's fine.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks Pirl. What's winter?

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

he he, Doss, you tease!

The time of year when I'm not spraying to kill Aegopodium and Houttuynia Cordata Chameleon. They are my garden terrors.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Then it's winter here year round. None of those suspects to spray! Better get that mulch going. :-)

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

tease? sounds more like a sadist !!! ( sorry ,doss, but even our "cold" weather is very painful to my condition, so I might just move in with you or Calif_Sue till spring!

yes, Sue, please do!!!

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/655933/

Thread continues here :)

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

bumping this up

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

All the prolifs I did are doing fine. The ones without the 'air layering' are doing as well as the ones that were just taken off the scapes with no roots.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.