Tell us your way to root proliferations !

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Here 'tis.

Thumbnail by pirl
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

Here is Mad Max that proliferated:

Thumbnail by corgimom
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

and CAROLINA SUN FUN , only had a few on it that I found

Thumbnail by corgimom
Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Wow! I love Carolina Sun Fun!!

Here's what I found on prolifs:

From this thread: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/454040/
Ed Murray
Orchid Corsage
Lilting Belle
Ice Carnival
Smokey Mountain Autumn
Willie Belle
Pink Damask
Awesome Artist
She Talks to Angels

From this thread: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/523610/
Salmon Sheen
Wild One
Wilson Spider

This is the thread I was first thinking of: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/537449/ I'm pretty sure it has quite a few listed.

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

SLADE BROWN

Thumbnail by corgimom
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

thanks for the research ,mgh! I will put that in my "favorites".

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

PALO DURO CANYON, one of Ra Hansens, prolifs each year. This photo isn't very flattering.

Thumbnail by corgimom
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

HERMIE,which will poly, also proliferates!

Thumbnail by corgimom
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

SO EXCITED is one that makes ME so excited that it proliferates! Isn't it a beauty?

Thumbnail by corgimom
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

FROSTED PINK ICE had a few on it this year. It is not consistant,though.

Thumbnail by corgimom
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

and, my last one that I have found a few on this year, is SILOAM BYE LOW

Thumbnail by corgimom
DFW area, TX(Zone 7b)

Corgimom - Thanks for the explanation. You're such
a big help. Love your beautiful flowers.

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

You are welcome! I am a retired teacher, so I guess I can't get it out of my system, even when I don't know what I am talking about! Hope I have helped some anyway. If anyone else has pictures of their daylilies that proliferates we would like to see them, too. That way we will know if we are interested in them or not!

Libby

Great idea. Now I have a good excuse to walk around instead of working!

Jamestown, KY(Zone 6a)

Today I noticed prolifs on two more in addition to what I listed above:
Haidee and Calico Spider.
Here's a pic of a prolif on Pandora's box taken today.

Thumbnail by floweringchild

Now I'm going out to look for them.

Meant to do it 7:30 this morning but got sidetracked with gardening until 5 PM!

I have both Haidee and so many Pandora's Box so I'll report back later.

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

gee,pirl, I can give ya lots of reasons to walk around instead of working!

1) you get to step in fireant beds ( or do you have them up there?) so you can find where they are located

2)you get to make your neighbors wonder just why you are digging around in your daylilies now that they are no longer blooming!

3) you get to see how many varieties of weeds you have in your yard!

4) you get to locate wasp nests that are built on back of scapes or plant markers so you can try out that can of wasp spray!

5) you get to see how many daylily tags have lost or almost lost their names!

I am sure I can come up with more, but maybe that will help you out for" the time being" as my grandma used to say

Jamestown, KY(Zone 6a)

LOL... Corgimom, good reasons.

Pirl, maybe since your season is later than mine, your prolifs will appear later also. It's near the end of some of my daylilies, except for the rebloomers.

Well, I'm ready to eat worms. So depressing. Only Little Wine Cup has proliferations but many of them. Not even good old reliable Unique Purple and nothing for Pandora's Box or Haidee - I do love Haidee! I used to get them on one particular cross of Enon x Fellow but none yet.

Corgimom - love your ideas! No fire ants and haven't found a wasp's nest yet but DH found one changing one of the outdoor flood lights! Once I did find a bees nest and managed to outrun them. No more daylily tags to get rained off or blown off thank goodness. Wooden signs that I can barely make out - I have a lock on that market! Plants that should be here rather than there: tons. Plants that really want to be introduced to a shipping box or the earth: plenty.

Happily, lots of deadheading yet to go! I do love the late ones.

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

The only thing I've gotten prolifs on is PRAIRIE BLUE EYES, and I cut them off (as instructed by a hybridizer... 1" below and 1" above the prolif) and stuck them in the ground (down to where the base of the prolif is IN the dirt) beside the clumps they came from this evening. These have increased so well for me! I started with about 12-15 fans planted in two's and those 7-8 plantings are now large 5-6 fan clumps! If the prolifs make it that will be nice but I'm not going to stress about it.

Here's the thing.... if I only had a couple of fans, a prolif would be more important and I would "tend it" to death! With these, since I don't really care if they make or not, you can BET they will !! LOL

Gail

Jamestown, KY(Zone 6a)

Pirl, Put those worms away for later. Keep watching for the prolifs. My daylilies began blooming about end of May and first week of June. So that was 8 weeks ago. See if you have more prolifs after 8 weeks from your first blooming. Maybe that's the way it works. (I'm trying to come up with something so you don't have to eat those worms yet.)
Judy

Great news! Worms well wrapped in the freezer for September 15th if I don't get proliferations by then.

The one thing I've noticed, in former years, is that it's mainly (NOT always) the scapes that are still green (as opposed to brown and crispy) that get proliferations.

Thanks, daylily4201.

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

Ya'll just keep coming up with these little bits of info that are so helpful . keep em coming!

Libby

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Good info! I got more prolifs last year than this year. But more blooms and secondary scapes this year. I wonder if there is a relationship...

Jamestown, KY(Zone 6a)

The prolifs begin when the scape is still green and even with more blooms to bloom. That's when you see it as it's nearing the end of that DL's blooming when you have just a few more blooms to go. Then when the scape is turning brown, you get it.

Last year I got bunches of prolifs from many. They all are ok now except Caldera. I had about 8 Caldera prolifs planted in ground. They came up in spring, but didn't make it thru the late frosts, or maybe it was spring sickness. I dunno.

The other day I counted 25 prolifs on a variety of culitars. More of the hay field is getting plowed up.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Fields have a way of disappearing any where near daylily lovers...

Wellington, OH

WOW!!!! I did not know that Daylilies did this. OK, I'm a beginner, this is so exciting that I'm going out in hot, hot, weather and check this out....right now.

K

Wellington, OH

Wellllll, I found 1 - I think - on "Siloam Candy Girl. It is real small yet - do I let it continue to grow for a while? The scape is still green; but done blooming. I can not believe how exciting this is. But it sure is miserably hot out there. K.

Corning, NY(Zone 5a)

Sorry, not going out in this heat for ANYTHING, nope not even a Daylily, Heat index of 104 here:(

But, I do have a question, when I was out at 4:30 this morning, I cut off the tops of a bunch of spent scapes that had prolif's. about 3-4" above, they are just starting to come out here in NY.
Did I do wrong? I never even gave it a thought till I was just reading this thread. Just wanted to clean up some of the ugly in the garden's. :)Anita
P.S I am not an expert, just an addict:)

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

yes, let it stay on as long as you can - until the scape begins to turn brown. I have even left mine on until the scape gets brown all the way down to the proliferation. That way the proliferation can continue to grow and sometimes will develop little bitty roots for you! Keep your eye on it and if the scape begins to die, go ahead and remove it. Good luck! Maybe you will find more!

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

Anita, as you can see in my photo above - the "hidden" proliferation- I often cut off the tops of the scapes,too, to make them look better.This is fine. The only thing is that it makes it harder to go back and find the prolifs. Maybe your memory is better than mine. Sometimes when I do it I can't find them later because I can't see a scape sticking above the plant. It won't hurt to do it - just make yourself a note as to what daylilies to go back and check later!

Corning, NY(Zone 5a)

Thanks Corgi,

I have never really bothered with them, PLEASE DON'T KICK ME ANYONE:) But I think they are well worth working for, now that you all have educated me on them.

When it cools down a bit here I will go see what ones had them & check back. :)Anita

I agree with you, Anita, about the heat! Today is the first day I haven't done one thing in the garden.

I have cut the brown tops off the scapes at times (those Mrs. Clean moments that do pass!) but it really is harder to find them again. When they're all done blooming I cut back all the leaves on every single plant to about 6" tall but I don't cut through any scapes still green, just in case.

If you do find any, in September or October, that you had missed and they look tired and weary, it's still worth cutting them off and sticking them in the ground by the mother plant. It's so amazing how resilient these plants are.

Wellington, OH

Corgimom - Thank you; it does need to get a little bigger probably.

Pirl - You just answered my other question about when to cut the leaves back. I never knew, so just cut them when they started to look really ragged. Thank you. Kay

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

I've got 4 prolifs on Lilac Dream, 1 on Tennessee Flycatcher and 1 on Highland Pinched Fingers. Usually Joan Senior has them but not this year. I've got some real tiny ones on several other cultivars but I don't know if they'll make anything usable before the scapes die.
Vicki

Even if it looks questionable it's worth trying to plant them and give them a tiny bit of extra attention (like mulch, water, etc.).

Good luck with them.

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

Someone (can't remember who and I am too lazy to scan back and look!) asked how many is " a lot " of proliferations on one plant. This is an example of what I call a "lot" on one plant (don't expect to find this many on many of them though - especially on the ones you WANT to find them on!!)

Thumbnail by corgimom
Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

Lordy, woman! LOL What is that one?

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

I wish I knew ! It was a named one but the lady I got it from had lost the name. It is a bright gold almost spidery one.

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

Got a pic of the bloom, by any chance?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.