Coleus Chatters July 2-8

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh yeah....and I need to figure out what we're eating tonight! LOL I've been really good for the last month or so. I've cooked almost every night. I got so sick of eating out.....I truly HATE fast food and we've tired of the many resturants in town.

Hmmmmm......I'm thinking DH would like the name 'sex kitten'....but then I'd have to act like one! Naaaaa......I'll just stay the way I am...unless it will make me lose 20 pounds....than I'm in for any name! LOL

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

here's the trailing rose...waiting patiently for her to trail.

brinda...your right about the name...we wouldn't want your name to mislead anyone!

i hear ya on the eating out. we hate it too. just get so tired of it. reminds me about a story with my son when he was about 3. we went out to eat at a fairly nice place and he ordered chili. so the chili comes and i see him take a bite of it and then when the waitress came over to bring something he says...excuse me...could you bring this chili back and please get me a bowl of my mom's chili. LOL....we laughed so hard when we realized that he thought he would just order something I COOKED but it was just brought to him by someone else!! i wish i could do that! at least i would know what the heck is in the food!

typo's again!

This message was edited Jul 6, 2006 1:41 PM

Thumbnail by tobee43
Pearl River, LA

brinda I will tell you how to get the lead out....mind set....you have to earn your computer time...clean something ....play ...clean something play.... that is what I do......and it works out semi fine if you do not look too close..ha ha the comfortable look is in anyway..just make yourself happy... but from what I read about you...you guys.are already tooooooo busy take a break ....shirley

This message was edited Jul 6, 2006 12:46 PM

This message was edited Jul 6, 2006 12:50 PM

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

well shirley, that's exactly what i had planned for today....of course after planning to work the garden from 5-11, then the bill paying, then the bank and post office...then the estimate i had hoped to get done at about 2 this afternoon...however, since the rain came i didn't have to do the 6 hours this morning just 2 and everything got done in record time!

i usually can't think clear after 1 pm! then my mind...no less mind set is gone for the day! hehehehe...

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Ha..Mind Set! What in the world is that???? The only thing that runs through my mind is flowers, blooms, coleus, tropical plants and just plants in general! LOL Therefore I have a very difficult time 'doing' anything, cuz all I want to do is play....either in the garden or on the computer.

tobee....I hate to pay bills. It really isn't the fact that I don't like spending the money, it's the fact that I don't want to take time out of 'my' time to do it. Luckily we only have three bills now.....water, electric and cable, (and they are outrageous during the summer months). That makes that mundane chore better.

Shirley, I do try to reward myself with doing a bit of work then I get to play. But lately my play time has really increased! LOL But I have managed to get 3 loads of laundry done today. I have my son cleaning his room and then he's gonna dust and run the vac in the family room. And honestly, we live with the comfortable look. I wouldn't care if someone dropped by at all. BUT....the company that is coming tomorrow, they are a couple that we've been friends with for about 10 years. They are in their early 30's and have a 4 yr old. And I'm telling you......they live in a 'perfect' house with every single thing in it's place. (LOL Much like my MIL) He is such an anal person and I always feel like such a slob when he comes over! LOL That's why I'm getting (trying) it all done today. Then I can go out and play in the garden to get some coleus cuttings potted up.....Oh & I gotta get all my trash and stuff out of the backyard too! sheesh!!!

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

all of you guys see how i feel.....yall have composed 2 pages of stuff everytime i come back to my computer

shirley....that is a great idea about doing something and getting computer time....i try to do some....but i think i will make myself EARN my computer time...i use it to goof off

tobee...i know what you mean about house too dirty to clean....i still have unpacked boxes from 97......i have zero energy cept for my garden...; also, i wanna show you another pic of the yard front....the bad stuff(not deprecating myself....just constructive criticism....but i will show you another pic and am planning on another front for my yard.....also the gate front and most of the fence is all shade the whole day ....thus very few flowers will grow thus the foliage....i would love to have lots more color, but haven't gotten time to add more, you guys can be sure i will show you when i get the solutions....

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm here, just been busy. You know, every time I leave for a bit you all have the strangest conversations. Last time it was undies vs. no undies. This time I came back and was breezing through the posts to catch up and this is what I find...

Quoting:
I spent the morning making babies. My back was fine. He was looking at the ads in the paper for V.D. & told him I GOTTA GET THE LEAD OUT! None of you told me how to get the lead out...hit me in head with a bat!

Afterwards we mopped our bodies with vinegar until DGM's house reaked of it for a week. My dh may pass out from shock to see I have to be drunk to get on an airlplane. He is such an anal person, but I see that yours has the funny looking long spikes, almost 2 feet tall. Or, their both sick.

I fell of the roof last year. We laughed so hard! You are NEVER too old to make memories!!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Well, I took someonen's suggestion and took a nap, and now I feel like llllll ! Still raining, got to clean Something today. Course, DH is asleep on the couch with the baby. Why should I work then?

Hap

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

We said THAT?????

I do remember about the babies and nearly fell off my chair.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh Heather!!! You CRAAAAAZY thang! That was great! Sure put a smile on my face and quite a long chuckle! Good to see you!!! Hugz

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Sticks, I LOVE your fence and arbor just the way they are. Wish I had one just like it. I think if you painted every other slat green it would take on a circus/carnival look. The way it is now is very romatic/cottage-y/estate like. Depending on how you plant it you can change the look and feel. Right now it reminds me of something you'd see on an old plantation in the south. For goodness sakes, isn't it the American dream to have a white picket fence with an arbor for an entrance like that??? LOL!!

Tobee, good to see you're back. I got one of my Tobee planters done. It looks adorable. I'm waiting to finish the other before I take pics. The different colors of green play well with each other since the planter is green...and the purple in the Jew plant against the dark red bricks is very nice. Girl, you are in the right business! You should have an advice column for us...and so should Sid. I'd have so many dead or dying things if it weren't for you two. My Gardenia and Hibiscus are coming along great btw. Thanks so much! =^) Be looking for pics soon, y'all are going to love the Tobee planters!

Pati, so glad to hear you had a good 4th, I was t&p for you. We once were on the beach at Daytona, relaxing w/ eyes closed, heard a bunch of hooping and hollering...opened our eyes and saw the shuttle in the sky. That's as close as I've ever gotten, and even that was amazing to me.

Ok, gotta tell you all, I miss you with being so busy. Was working in the garden last night and was wishing in the worst way I could pick up the phone and call one of y'all...just to gab. *sniff, sniff* You're such a great bunch. Now I'll quit being mushy.

Talked to a lady over the last few days about arranging a plant swap in our little area. A lot of interest has been expressed and I'm so excited. It will be held sometime this fall, but early enough to let things get established before winter. I've driven 3 hours to get to a swap before, so you can understand my excitement!!

Ok, I'm off to work in the garden again. You all be good and have fun.
Hugs,
Heather

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Well, Hap, I did do a bit of cutting and pasting. I think that's how the media does it in most of their interviews. So, now y'all can feel famous. ;-)

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

You are right about that, Heather. Thanks for the laughs.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

heath....wanna see wanna see!!!!!

tobee...is there a pic of the container she is trying to build that you had??

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

here is my icky fingers...top one....wasn't sure i liked it...but it is growning on me...

Thumbnail by sticks_n_stones
Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

speaking of a white picket fence.....

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Sticks, you crack me up every time you say ICKY Fingers instead of Inky Fingers.. Whada girl............

Like the pix

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Who is that Doggie in the Window....the one with the wagglie tail.....

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

arbor with growth....grown overnight!!!!

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

and i did a google search b4 i posted so i could get the term down....and you wont believe how many ICKY fingers are in google....so now i am going to get it wrong the rest of my life cause i will remember it wrong......

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

my kid; gromet and this is my wallis (girl)

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Sticks you have lovely babies.

No you won't remember it wrong because you are always going to have my face and name in front of you every time you type it.....

"SMILE"

Hap

PS. Don't change a thing in your front yard. It's classicaly beautiful.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Joni!!! It's just beautiful....I love the overnight growth. And it looks so inviting too. And your babies are precious!

OK......you know what, after reading Heather's post earlier and her saying that she wanted to call someone last night......I got to thinking of how horrible it would be if we couldn't keep in touch. I'm going to dmail all of you my phone number tomorrow. I was thinking of hurricane season and I know we would all be frantic here if we couldn't hear from some of you. And who knows about the rest of the country too.

I've worked really hard today and feel so good about everything that I've done. Yeah!!! Look....it's been over 4 hours since I've been here. LOL I think that's a record for me! If I'm at home....I'm checking in! hahaha

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

brin....it is only computer graphics...but am looking for a hanging plant for each side so it will soften the white...

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Joni you rascal, remember folks her degree is in "Puters". and not the metal teapot kind. I was gonna say woozers on that growth and then we knew..........it's all done with smoke and mirrors folks.

I don't know where to begin. First I finally got something I ask for on Freecycle.
Advertised as "Tons of white scalloped cement edging and some round cement stepping stones turns out to be enough to do the front of my front bed and make a path for folks to go down instead of cutting thru my yard. So I was blessed. I loaded about 1/3rd+ of it and didn't break any axels. Was a great weight bearing exercise for me.
When I sent the e-mail asking for it I said I could bring a little ole tray of unusual coleus as a "Thank-you", so I rounded up ten and she was pleased. She got over 70 replys and the coleus tipped the scales for me.

Then was watching Antiques Roadshow and said I should see who painted this picture that I got in an auction in 1972 or so at the public library in El Paso. I have always liked it . Go google E L Boone. LOL I will be calling around for recommendations for cleaning and it has a very small tear that will be easily repaired.

I also got my long awaited water bill. Brenda here's our breakdown
Water charges 37.08
Public Service Tax 3.71
Total current chgs. $40.79
Sewer charges $87.34

Total for pretty yard $128.13
Yes I'll be digging me a little well. Before I gardened I often had like a $15. a month. I'll claim "Miracle plants!"

Yes Heather I'll also claim each and everyone of those quoted words.

Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

sidney....congrats on the painting...you are a rich woman!!!!

congrats on the border YOU ARE A CAZILLIONAIRE!!!~

i will remember to use the coleus route when i see another 3 tiered fountain on freecycle....yup ...a 3 tied fountain i missed out on free cycle....and all i had to do is come up with some coleus....go figure...

we need pics of that border and stone!!!!

your water bill seems cheap to me......so it is not??

finally...yes i have a degree in comptuers.....but it was by the skin of my teeth and you certainly see what i am doing with my goofy degree....talking on garden sites....; i used a great software program that is click and move and then you have instant plants any color or any size you want....(almost)...it does help me design my yard......

Well, I'm sorry Joni the point being sewage is charged as per water useage, like all that water was going into city sewage. And it's twice what the water is.
Sidney

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

yup....sewage is high...do you go to the bathroom alot?? (grin)

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

good morning all!!!

easy morning dh and i watered last night because he is the knee nazi!! and insisted that i didn't pull hoses all about since i have improved much this week. ok....that can work but i missed speaking to each and everyone of them. and i know they miss me too! lou is just not me and i know they know it!

heather!! missed you! glad you liked the plant suggestion but it was only picked from a list of what you had and you did the plantings. so...girl it's all you NOT me. sticks...it was heather's planters she was just working with some left over plants that we discussed as to what to put where. heather has some "fun" stuffs for the garden!

and sticks...well, i did clean up just a bit but it's not the lack of energy...but the lack of water use. we still cannot run the water freely, so i have to be careful. and no matter what i feel or do the house is dirty to me until i can have freely running water! i just want to bleach it down!
also, sticks your doing such a lovely job on the front of the house!! also remember impatients are constant bloomers and LOVE the shade and add bright color. of course they aren't coleus but can be combined with some shade loving coleus to brighten any spot!

ok...sidney....so after you sell the million dollar painting are you flying us all to paris for lunch???? that is so cool!! it's always such fun to collect and find out at some time that what you love is also worth something! although, i am certain it was not the reason you got the painting, it was most likely because YOU liked it.

i have pt for my knee bright and early this morning and then it's back home for a meeting with a few for the flower show. which heather.....we do a plant swap. actually, we really do all the swapping before it goes to the pubic area. that way we all get first chose at what's available then sell the rest. this money is going to master gardeners in the katrina area so they can restart their gardens. we have been doing fund raisers all year for them, but this is the big one. it usually brings in a couple thousand dollars since the swap is done at the "state" fair which is the biggest fair in new jersey.

now hap...you SHOULD know better about napping in the middle of the day! if i do, i'm not good for the rest of the entire day. my family were and are big nappers. my grandmother use to say an hour sleep in the day is worth an entire nights sleep. i never did get that one! it makes me drag, i'm better off having some green tea and pushing myself!

talk to ya all later! here's a pic to start the day!
ps....where gg????

xoxoxoxoxox

Thumbnail by tobee43
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Another black day here. But with it is coming the most beautiful, gentle rain. My babies are soooo happy. Looks like it's going to be cleaning day down on the farm. I call it a farm because at the present time I have more dirt inside the house than out. My favorite saying is, "If it gets too bad, I'm just going to plant grass seed and forget the cleaning.!!!:

Your state fair sounds like a wonderful time. I haven't been to one since I was a child. So go for it big time, tobee.

Well, here I go, ...either back to bed or to clean..... HUM>>>>>>

Yes, I loved the picture then and I love it now. We won't have a trip on the picture, but it's nice to know my eye was good. I really had to dig deep for that $25 back then. I almost always buy any numbered print at an yard or estate sale. If someone took the time to screen print and number a piece, it's more likely to be worth something. My mother was an artist, started in her 50s, so naturally I plan on it being in my retirement plan. Gonna arrange, clean and sew on my rainy day.
When I win the lottery, we will party!!!
Sidney

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Ahhhhhh, the lottery....what dreams are made of! I wish you luck Sidney! Wouldn't that be a hoot??!!

Lovely pic tobee.....it sure made my morning. Our skies are beautiful this morning and the temps are fairly low for July 7th. I'm so excited, my oldest son came over last night and showed his poor pitiful Mom how to work this new camera. LOL I got some great shots last night of coleus and now all I have to do is get a USB cable and figure out how to get them off the camera and on to my computer! LOL Wish me luck!!!

I'm on the run this morning....just got Xander to his sitter and now I'm taking my Mom to an Orthopedic doctor. She's been having back problems and the MRI shows spurs in her lower back....not really sure what is going on, hopefully should know more later today. Catch you all soon!!!

xoxoxoxox

Brinda, I only play one # continuously in every lottery that I cross paths with. I have told the guys for years, wouldn't it be the berries to get home after 3 weeks of 13 & 1/2 hour days to find out I'd been a slaving millionaire for weeks.
Well like God told Jacob the obedient Jew who ask God to let him win the lottery every week for three weeks running and every week God said "Yes Jacob, you can win the lottery" Finally when Jacob asked God on the fourth week. God said "Jacob, you will win the lottery, but first you have to buy a ticket!"
I would flitter $2 a week away somewhere, so it never hurts to keep a thumb in the pie. Here we have no state income tax so I figure it's alot better than taxes.
I do feel that being positive is a good way to let God know what we want.

I better get doing fore the day is gone.
Sidney

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

tobee....your fair sounds like an addict dream!!! wish we could be there....as for impatients....they are not patient with me....don't know why but i kill the little ones...when you have time can you give me pointers...i had impatiens, vinca, well those 2 are dead with begonias following....i think i have finally figured out begonias...they don't like as much water as i give them....but impatiens...i buy first thing in the season...they die; if i could do masses of fab impatiens like you had in your pics.....WELL, i would fill my whole yard with um....and they are giving them away at the nursery.....whoops, speaking of the nursery, have to go get some more stuff that i can try to grow......this is only my second gardening season so i am not great at alot of stuff

I can't imagine that you overwater impatients. Mine want water atleast twice a day or they Swoon as GG would say. Get some of those freebies. You might get the easy to dry stuff they come in away from them, and put some MG moisture control potting soil down. Then plant them. Try them in the ground, not pots.
We'll coax and pray you along.
Sidney

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Yeah Joni, I ditto what Sidney said. I didn't think you could water impatiens enough. Now the sun is a much different story, here they hate our hot sun and only flourish in the shade.

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

My poor Impatients are just ugly, spindly and dying in spite of watering twice a day. It's the heat.....this is the last time I grow them in the summer. Can't even get the cuttings to take....whine, whine, whine.
Pati

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

good afternoon all!

i'm with sidney on this one with watering the impatience. actually, pot or not. the other thing for up here anyway they need constant feeding and moist very rich soil even when placed in the ground. so if you put them in the ground here the soil needs to be amended. mine i think do well because of the shade, food and the fact that most of the beds they are in where either mulched or heavily filled with peatmoss, for over 25 years so the soil can hold the moisture extremely well. but as sidney says there are still days (like today) that they had to be watered twice. (and that was after we watered them last night!).

pati..i just put them right in the ground and the cuttings take that way. also because when you water they loose their petals and they go to seed, so many flowers from petals that are dropped it's unbelievable. also you may try and pinch them back and see if that helps them fill out. just don't forget to feed them.

brinda hope all went well at the doctor with your mom this morning. wow you do so much for so many. i truly hope that they all appreciate your wonderful kindness.

This message was edited Jul 7, 2006 2:39 PM

Thumbnail by tobee43
groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

they are just beginning to grow!

Thumbnail by tobee43
Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Thanks so much Tobee. Actually Impatience and I go back many, many years to the mountains of NC and my mother's flowers. They were always the biggest part of her gardens.

I have lived in FL 53 years and have always had Impatience from Oct to about March, our "FL summer" down here. My Coleus are year round staples. BUT, this year I didn't get to plant until February (operation recovery), and I bought too many in bloom, stuffed the pots too full and forgot that I dont have the most shade in the world. Panic time! LOL

All winter I follow the "pinch, poke and plant" method directly into the ground and have as many as my heart desires.

I think I just got carried away reading about all of you all starting your summer gardens and I forgot where I live! LOl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.