Perennials in the garden setting: Show us your pics!

Redford, MI(Zone 6a)

Dave 47, wherever you went thanks for the plant ID.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

AndyP- I don't know the name of that Bee Balm either, but I got the same from my neighbor across the street. Could it just be plain old regular Bee Balm?

Belvidere, IL(Zone 5a)

Here's one of my gardens it's done in front of 2 lengths of a privacy fence.

Thumbnail by Santacltr2
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Santacltr2, that looks that a hummingbird magnet. I love the vibrant pinks and purples!

gram

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Santacltr2, please tell us what those beauties are - they are lovely. Thanks!

MJ

Lilburn, GA

Santa, what a lovely border. what poppies are these?

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

santacltr2 Wow, those pink poppies are to die for. I had that one for years (a much more modest amount) that finally didn't return a few years back. I found that the farm where I bought them had lost their stock as well, but this spring they found some coming up in the compost heap. I immediately bought 12 so hopefully I will have them for years to come. Patti

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Andy,

I've seen living fences before, but never one as creative as yours. The scalloped effect really shows off the clematis and makes a lovely backdrop for your other flowers. You're giving me ideas....... And the hollyhocks are so pretty. I just love those old fashioned type of plants. That's such a pretty photo with the pond in the background. Pardon if you've already answered this, but do you not have problems with deer eating them?

Debra

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

American woman, You're welcome!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Everyone's gardens are looking great! Sure wish I could get some of that rain some of you are getting. Here is my front today. Daylilies are really blooming well in spite of the dry weather.

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Chasing Shadows is one of my favorite new daylilies. I like how the blue salvia brings out the blue in it's eye zone.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Lots of color!

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

I've got a plant that is blooming right now that I really like. It is called Stokesia laevis 'Honeysong Purple'. Every year it has more and more blooms. I've had it for 3 or 4 years. See the photo.

Karin ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thumbnail by greenthumb_NC
Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I can see why you like that one, Karin.
How long does it bloom?
Great color.
Nice pic too.
Andy P

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Lincolnitess, your daylilies look happy in spite of no rain. You're growing a rainbow! Pretty.

Karin, the purple on that stokesia is stunning. I;ve made a note of it. Thanks for the pic.

gram

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi there mickgene,

I immediately thought of lobelia for your color echo, as well. There are some very vivid blues that come pretty close to your clematis :)

Also, what about balloon flower? Mine are in bud ready to pop probably tomorrow or Saturday. Would their bloomtimes coincide with your clematis at all? I love, love, love balloon flower. They hate to have their roots disturbed, but otherwise they're no trouble at all. The pics in the database make them look washed out. Mine are a nice, vivid "saturated" purple-blue. More blue than purple, but not as completely blue as your clematis. Pretty close, though, for such an unusual color in the garden.

Are the darker perennial salvias too purple? May Night seems pretty blue in my eyes. Color is so funny that way. Especially blue/purple I think. There are soooo many plants labeled "blue" that sure look purple in my book! :) Otherwise, I think you're on to something with the paint - or possibly a gorgeous cobalt container. I love those glazed, bright blue $450 ones, but - you know :)

Take care,
Jacci :)

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/88627/

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Gorgeous garden Susan! I love the vivid, clear hues of the daylilies you've chosen.

Karin, that Stokesia is great, another got a have.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Did somebody say Balloon Flower?
This one is a vlounteer. The first to bloom.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Belvidere, IL(Zone 5a)

Spider07, Mariajose
I don't know what the name of the poppies are. The seeds were given to me by my bil, I just call them pink frilly poppies.

bbrookrd,
I've not had any problems with these, they just keep reseeding themselves. I have them in several different gardens. If yours don't do good let me know I'll send you some seeds I have and will have tons of them. lol

grampapa,
I haven't even seen one hummingbird there, wish they were. I've seen 2 this year and no where near that garden.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Yes, MY balloon flowers started popping a few days ago. I'm surprised they don't make a popping sound like popcorn! We have a whole long row, alternating with the row of forget-me-nots. From when the f-m-n end until the balloon flowers pop, there's nothing along the path.

xxxxx, Carrie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Wow! I almost caught them in the act of popping!

Thumbnail by carrielamont
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Then....

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

trying to sneak up on them.... but they beat me to it!

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Hi Everyone,
There are so many lovely garden posts since I last posted I can't even begin to reply to all of them. But they are just beautiful!

Tam,
The edging is just that. It's called 'concrete curbing'. It comes in many colors and textures. If I had more money at the time we had them put in, I might have got a little more fancier one. LOL But we had so much to put in at that time than just the curbing, there was no EXTRA money. LOL What's 'extra' money anyhow??? The daylilies on your rocky hillside look beautiful! And I like that liitle yellow flowering plant you planted from seed. How long did it bloom?

Dave,
Thank you so much for the compliment! I wish I knew what the yellow daylily was too. It's been there for a while, like I said. I bought them quite a while back, but just can't remember what they are. It was before I knew much about keeping track of things. ;o( But the plant is about 24 inches tall and the scape(flowers?), I think it's called, is about 42 inches tall. The flower itself is about 5 1/2 to 6 inches.

ruthm,
Beautiful, just beautiful! The color of the plants in that first picture is just gorgeous! Lovely gardens.

Andy, Wow, look at that beautiful clematis loaded with flowers. Beautiful! And that daylily is to die for! The living fence with the dayliles and clematis is gorgeous!

lincolnitess,
Thanks, I'll check out my white lily for comparison. I know exactly what you mean about the lilies being labeled wrong. Very frustrating! This is the first year I've really gotten into lilies and ordered lilies online and so many of them were wrong. And your daylily gardens are just to die for! Gorgeous!

southernOhio,
Gorgeous gardens! I just LOVE the curved stone edging. Great job. And the fencing is pretty cool too.

mickgene,
You are too kind. Your pathway is beautiful and the daylilies look wonderful. I bet it is even more breathtaking when the rest of the daylilies are blooming. You make me think I could maybe do a pathway too and I would love to have some pathways like that.. Great job!

Ptrcmcc6,
What a difference since when you planted. Looks lovely. Isn't it amazing how fast things change.

tabasco,
Your lily garden is beautiful! Great combinations in your gardens!

Ivy1,
Beautiful purple gardens. Love the combinations of flowers you have in there!

grampapa,
Oh, you French Lace is stunning!

KatieLovesDogs.
Your Razmaztazz is so pretty! And the second picture with the daylily is a pretty combination.

bbrookrd,
Wow! Beautiful gardens! Love the red and yellow daylily. What is it called? And your shady west side garden is just lovely!

greenthumb_OH,
Ohhhh, your Acanthus spinosa is so pretty!

jackieshar,
Just Hollyhock...just beautiful!

Santacltr2
Ohhhh, lovely garden! What kind of poppies are they? How long do they bloom?

carrielamont,
Very, very pretty! Cool that youu almost caught them in the act. LOL

Sherry

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

At the risk of being redundant, I have another blue flower for ya'll. The bachelor's buttons in my wildflower mix started blooming yesterday. I cut one just to see how it compared with a color wheel I have in one of my design books. It was exactly blue. How pleased I was! :) Not sure if the pick will show the true color, but you can see it against the "blue" on the color wheel.

Jacci :)

Thumbnail by SalmonMe
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Starting another thread since this one is getting long again, ;o) It's located here:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/624184/

Sherry

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Wow Jacci,
That's really pretty!
Sherry

Belvidere, IL(Zone 5a)

Sherrygirl,

I just call them pink frilly poppies since the seeds were given to me by someone who didn't know it's name. They have been blooming for a long time now. I've never paid attention to how long. Sorry

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

I'll just post this response here (after a few days' absence), then on to the new thread!

SalmonMe and Sarahskeeper, those Platycodon are definitely a shade that would be a lovely echo for Gen'l Sikorsky. And the Bachelor's Button, too. Thanks.

Jacci, I, too , love those $450 containers. What's not to like? :) Oh, yeah...

Redford, MI(Zone 6a)

Blanket Flower Fanfare. Great bloomer.

Thumbnail by americanwoman
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Amazing, I was gone for 9 days and can't even begin to catch up with comments.

Redford, MI(Zone 6a)

My Wild Backyard.

Thumbnail by americanwoman
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

americanwoman,
Your wild backyard is gorgeous!
Sherry

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Love your wild backyard!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Sherrygirl, I've just now seen the pics you posted from Jun 28th and I wanted to say your bed with the pink, white, and blue/lavender colors is one of the prettiest beds and color combinations I've ever seen. Just beautiful!

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

crowellli,
Wow, what a nice thing to say! Thank you so much. I just posted a new lily that opened for me today. It was a thrill! It is pink, yellow and white and smells wonderful.
Sherry

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I finally straightened out my photo problems (I think) Here are some bonica roses behind lamb's ear. This is my tough roadside garden.

Thumbnail by Dave47
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Dave,
They are sooo pretty and flowering like crazy! What are the beautiful tall white and purple flowers in the front on the left side and towards the middle? They are gorgeous!
Sherry

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

americanwoman, love that wildness!

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Dave47, That Bonica rose is a treat to see. I cut some really long, top heavy canes off of mine about amonth ago and it has not bloomed since. I read later that week that Bonica is a rose that resents heavy pruning. Murphy's Law! But yours looks lovely, and the toughness (at least when not pruned) is particularly welcome in my garden.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.