Perennials in the garden setting: Show us your pics!

Redford, MI(Zone 6a)

To Mickgene, Sherrygirl and Gemini Sage, thank you so much! I guess you can see that I am not a structured type of gardener. It has actually just kind of happened. I love looking at more formal type gardens but even though I am 70 the wild part of me now lives in my garden.
I only live on a city type lot but took half of my backyard and did this to it. I did have a shade garden but last year when my lovely maple tree died I decided to make it a positive loss and plant all sun-loving flowers. I also have a canopy near the back of the house so I still have shade to sit in. By letting it go a bit wild it has cut down a lot on the maintenance.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Looking at Americanwoman's fun pic and reading her post, reminded me that the Lily Bulb Co-op opened today for anyone wanting some nice lily bulbs.

I think bloomaholic is accepting orders from the first 40 posters...

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/625194/

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Sherry, Its just lamb's ear. In the lean, dry soil there it grows over 3 feet. It (and the roses) looked much better 2 weeks earlier but we were getting deluged with rain and I didn't get a pic.
Mick, there were 2 or 3 times the roses originally. I have a total of about 8 bonicas along my curb, from new to 3 years old. Snowplows in winter, traffic, not great soil, no pesticides or fungicides, they take it all. Because of them and the rose forum, I now have several low-care roses.

Thank you both.
Dave

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I've returned to Nantucket after a long weekend in Vt. Not much changes up there, but lots of new blooms in this garden. Yucca's are out, as are a bunch of new DL and a couple of lilies and the oak leaf hydrangea's are really huge this year. A bed a allium have finally opened. The lavendars are still holding their color. Here is a collage of this weeks garden overview in Nantucket. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Patti, Very,very nice!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Here are some individual pic. of what is blooming now. I haven't included the hot colors. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Vt does not have a lot going on this week in the way of new blooms. Ditch lilies are still the main show. But the dogs love the brook and I love the quiet. I did notice that along the highway in southern Vt many plants seemed to be blooming very early (chicory, queen Ann's lace, golden rod etc) Is it all the rain? Or my clock is off? Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

QA's lace is blooming here too. I'm trying very hard to introduce some into my perennial garden. It's my favorite white flower.

xxxxx, Carrie

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Carrie, remember it is a wild carrot, thus when it gets established it is very difficult to control with long tap roots. I love it too, but keep it out on the edges of the property with the other wild invasive plants. It took me years to get it out of the beds. Patti

Redford, MI(Zone 6a)

I have Queen Anne's Lace also. I introduced some a few years ago and it did start to take over. I pulled it out and the next few years, I didn't have any at all. This year a few pieces are back. I think it's very pretty if kept under control.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

I always allow the QAL to bloom but deadhead and it's not been a problem since I started judiciously deadheading.

Redford, MI(Zone 6a)

Looking out there this morning, I have some serious deadheading to do!

Prophetstown, IL(Zone 5a)

I've been swooning over all of your pictures - here's a composite of my flower beds this morning

Catherine

Thumbnail by jerseyridgearts
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Gorgeous collage Catherine! Your beds and setting are beautiful! Is that a Lady Alice(White henryi)lily I see?

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Catherine, very nice! The collage actually gives me the feeling I've toured through your lovely garden and enjoyed every minute of it. Your roses are still looking lovely, too.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Catherine. Now we are swooning! Love those luscious poppies. Patti

Redford, MI(Zone 6a)

Very nice Catherine!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Here is part of the garden today. After looking at the pictures, I went out and pruned the spireas. The new lily in the middle survived a savage bunny attack that felled a bunch of others. We have searched for the point of entry, repaired the fence and sprayed. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Here are some close ups of plants that opened today. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Patti,
I'm feeling pretty stupid but I don't see any poppies in Catherine's collage?
Carrie

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Carrie, I think those hot hot pink flowers with the bluish grey leaves are poppies. Look at the picture which is the second one down on the left side. I grow a pale pink one, but I may be completely off base.
How about those red sox? Here is a picture of my pink one. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I adore poppies but I can't seem to grow them. I'm still not sure I'm seeing what you're seeing - have I ever seen a hot pink poppy? GO RED SOX! I don't believe in curses anyway.
xxxx, Carrie

thanks everyone for the kind words - my main 'English style' perennial garden is being rejuvenated - my goal has been to work with waves of color and to weave some plants in with others to extend bloom. That's what you're seeing with the poppies - they're actually purple and the 'hot pink' you're seeing is a rose (I've lost the tag) winding it's way through the poppies and clematis.

Catherine

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Patti, your gardens are gorgeous! Beautifully designed :)

Gemini Sage - I'll have to take your word for the ID on my lily - here's a larger photo. After losing 'fancier' lilies to voles/moles several years ago, I just plopped some un named lily mixtures into my rose bed - no blooms last year due to a late hard freeze so this year is a surprise!

Catherine

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I have been enjoying all of your beautiful groups of perenials. Thank you. Varigated Iris with some pinks.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Patti, What is the name of that pretty lily in the center of your first collage and the bottom, right of your second?

Catherine, very nice. (Must admit that I thought your poppy was phlox.)

Stephen, nice way to dress-up the feet of your iris.

Dave

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Soferdig, I never realized that the variegated iris and pinks could thrive in the same conditions. If my pink aren't quite dry, they rot. I wonder if that's a difference because of our intense humidity here in the summer.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

dave47, I believe it is Nettie's Pride. It is quite short (2'). Patti

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Thank's Patti!

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Wow, we went to our cabin for 90 days and look I can't believe how busy this thread has been. Time to step back in and get caught up.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

So much is in bloom but the Japanese irises are my favorites.

Thumbnail by pirl
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

pirl, the one on the lower right is to die for, what is it?

Renfrew, PA(Zone 5a)

This is at the south east front corner of the house. It is penisula that is attached to the east and south foundation plantings.

Thumbnail by Gazania_in_pa
somewhere, PA

What are the lighter colored plantings? You've got a nice mix of color and texture there.

Tam

Renfrew, PA(Zone 5a)

Tammy, that lighter stuff is Berberis 'Bonanza Gold' with Berberis 'Crimson Pygmy' between them. A planting of light yellow 'Stella Supreme' and deep red 'Crimson Stella' daylilies are around the front edge of the bed. That is a Paper Bark Maple in the center.

somewhere, PA

Very nice!

I love paper bark maple - especially as they get older. I bet you enjoy it during
the winter - something with real interest to help through the cold months! I'm
waiting to get someone to take down our dead white paper birch so I can put in
the Heritage River birch (betula nigra). Its got a somewhat similar pealing bark
look for the winter.

Tam

PS: I've called three tree surgeons. I guess its a busy summer for them!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Gazania,
I love the way that picture makes me want to jump in and follow the house around the corner, or across the street. Nice job!
xxxxx,
Carrie

Redford, MI(Zone 6a)

I just love these things and just found out they have a nice scent. They also have bees!

Thumbnail by americanwoman
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

I took a few today and will send one or two.

Himaylian Impatients.

This message was edited Jul 17, 2006 11:44 AM

Thumbnail by zenpotter

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.